Glowing Reviews Aren’t Always the Most Persuasive

ronhi85

Uh-oh ~ Then you’re prolly giving me a side-eye atm. 👀

I don’t pay much attention to those yellow stars. I focus on other stuff!

So, therefore, I’m never suspicious like dat, I like to give people the benefit-of-the-doubt. 😉

Are you saying you don’t pay attention to reviews? Or are you saying something else?

Nobody is perfect and moreover - to not have one bad/silly buyer out of 100 would be extremely lucky.

I must be extremely lucky, then. (I can count my cancellations on one hand.)

The attempts at trying to spin mostly/only positive reviews as a negative in this topic is interesting.

The attempts at trying to spin mostly/only positive reviews as a negative in this topic is interesting.

Jeez guys. All I meant was when looking at sellers, I tend to see perfection on Fiverr as unusual and because cancellations were so common for so long, it makes me wonder. Don’t blame me for being aware of an issue, blame the ones who caused it.

Anyway, clearly it wouldn’t make me dismiss a seller, it’s just one of about 20 things that I look at.

I just came across this research published by Havard Business Review. In a nutshell, the authors argue that getting only glowing reviews is bad for business. That buyers trust a brand more when they see a mix of bad and good reviews.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think that is true for fiverr?

Here is the link to the study: https://hbr.org/2018/07/research-glowing-reviews-arent-always-the-most-persuasive

I just came across this research published by Havard Business Review. In a nutshell, the authors argue that getting only glowing reviews is bad for business. That buyers trust a brand more when they see a mix of bad and good reviews.

Here is the link to the study: https://hbr.org/2018/07/research-glowing-reviews-arent-always-the-most-persuasive

I don’t agree with that author. If I want the best service, I want the best reviews. If I want the best product, I want the best reviews for it.

BUT, if the reviews are fake… well, you must “mix” them to sound natural. Believe me, I know what I am talking about as a content copywriter… 😂

That’s the only case where a lower rating may be better than a higher one. If the reviews are real, the higher, the better. Even perfect score.

BTW, these are my stats… time to get suspicious @eoinfinnegan ! 😏 (lifetime cancellations: 5)

1273565356_2018-07-0102_29_51-Fiverr_juanwriter_Analytics.thumb.png.33c8c24772bfb9fc936f6d1077cd1437.png

PS: Anyone can achieve these numbers. Maybe I will write a guide on how to do it if I have some spare time, but basically is putting all your heart in every order, creating a CS experience suited for every kind of customer, and going into a more professional/business tier.

I value the experiences of real sellers vs. some “study” from Harvard. What do you think? Would you rather have glowing reviews or no reviews?

Yes, some skeptical people may suffer from envy, and choose not to order, but selling a gig with no reviews is harder than one with reviews. In fact, higher prices demand lots of glowing reviews.

My stats:

413 5 stars

6 4 stars

Nothing lower, no negatives to give any sort of response to.

And yet, that would be frowned on for being ‘too good’? The world has officially gone mad. :rofl:

Evening @mariokluser BTW! 🙂

The world has officially gone mad. :rofl:

Nah. That happened about 8,000- 9,000 years ago. 🙂

I don’t agree with that author. If I want the best service, I want the best reviews. If I want the best product, I want the best reviews for it.

BUT, if the reviews are fake… well, you must “mix” them to sound natural. Believe me, I know what I am talking about as a content copywriter… 😂

That’s the only case where a lower rating may be better than a higher one. If the reviews are real, the higher, the better. Even perfect score.

BTW, these are my stats… time to get suspicious @eoinfinnegan ! 😏 (lifetime cancellations: 5)

PS: Anyone can achieve these numbers. Maybe I will write a guide on how to do it if I have some spare time, but basically is putting all your heart in every order, creating a CS experience suited for every kind of customer, and going into a more professional/business tier.

Anyone can achieve these numbers.

Not necessarily, it depends on what you’re selling, how many reviews you’re getting, how objective or subjective your gigs are, etc.

It’s not about the seller, it’s about his clients. The seller can work really hard for every client, offer excellent customer service, make all the revisions, never over promise, never lie, and still get a bad review.

So taking Translation as an example. In the scenario where one is translating for someone who does not understand or is not a native speaker of the target language and they feel (they always say feel, never definitive) that something is wrong when it really isn’t, yet won’t listen to reason or give any concrete info about what is actually wrong - how can one avoid a less than 5-star review?

This happens to me quite often but never with native English speakers which is what I translate to.

Oh, not to mention the issue of the 4.7 bug…

Not necessarily, it depends on what you’re selling, how many reviews you’re getting, how objective or subjective your gigs are, etc.

It’s not about the seller, it’s about his clients. The seller can work really hard for every client, offer excellent customer service, make all the revisions, never over promise, never lie, and still get a bad review.

102876_1.png fastcopywriter:

Well, I am not going now to reveal how to do it (mainly because it’s late here and my time is a bit scarce), but you have more control over target customers than you think. Of course, it is possible you can get a bad review despite all your efforts, but if you make those bad luck strikes to a minimum, you are on the right track.

So taking Translation as an example. In the scenario where one is translating for someone who does not understand or is not a native speaker of the target language and they feel (they always say feel, never definitive) that something is wrong when it really isn’t, yet won’t listen to reason or give any concrete info about what is actually wrong - how can one avoid a less than 5-star review?

This happens to me quite often but never with native English speakers which is what I translate to.

65880_1.png eoinfinnegan:

My work here is almost 50% content writing and 50% translation. Both works exactly the same way regarding customer satisfaction, at least in my personal experience.

I just wanted to show that going over 100 reviews with perfect score is possible, nothing more. And anyone can achieve that stats. I teach communication and marketing, so I may have an ace under the sleeve, and I may have been lucky while being here (I am sure!!), but really, what I want to emphasize is pursuing excellence in any sales field is a healthy way of thinking. We all know that bad luck strikes sometimes, that a bad review every now and then are something usual. But if you strive for perfection, you may reach it, or at least, get almost there. That’s why I think there is not unusual to find sellers in Fiverr that go over 100 reviews with perfect 5 stars score. I do not find it suspicious at all 🙂. And yes, I don’t agree with the HBR article. But it’s just my 2 cents, of course.

110191_1.png juanwriter:

Well, I am not going now to reveal how to do it (mainly because it’s late here and my time is a bit scarce), but you have more control over target customers than you think. Of course, it is possible you can get a bad review despite all your efforts, but if you make those bad luck strikes to a minimum, you are on the right track.

Well, I am not going now to reveal how to do it (mainly because it’s late here and my time is a bit scarce), but you have more control over target customers than you think.

Please explain, what control do I have over target customers? I think control is a myth. We control what we do, how we react, but we don’t control other people.

Well, I am not going now to reveal how to do it (mainly because it’s late here and my time is a bit scarce), but you have more control over target customers than you think.

Please explain, what control do I have over target customers? I think control is a myth. We control what we do, how we react, but we don’t control other people.

102876_1.png fastcopywriter:

More than you think:

• When you set your prices range, you are already controlling which customers will contact you.
  • When you copywrite your Gig description, you are already in control on which target customer are you focusing.
  • When you communicate with your potential customers, you control the conversation (if you are skillful enough) to accept or reject the commission, hence, the customer.
  • When you are setting your business foundation and concept, you are already controlling the customers you will have in near future: your avatar, motto, order procedures… even the portfolio.
  • The marketing plan is a powerful tool to control the customer base you build for your business.

I may continue, but I think you get the idea by now 🙂

Please note that I am not really interested in making an overview of a full coaching course here&now, but really, a freelancer is just a 1 person company, but that’s all the difference between you and PepsiCo. All major sell procedures and philosophy applies the same. Believe it or not 🙂

PS: Just for clarification, I think Fiverr should give sellers more tools to identify our buyers, and leave out the ones we don’t want. So, I agree that we need more control in this marketplace, but that does not mean we have zero control as I said. However, more control would be desirable, like checking the reputation of buyers or rejecting an order made without prior communication in a 24h grace period, for example.

Life is sometimes bad and sometimes good,same with reviews

Thats what’s keeping things interesting 😀

Life is sometimes bad and sometimes good,same with reviews

Thats what’s keeping things interesting 😀

Uh-huh! 🍍

Variety is the spice of life. 😉

Nice stats man! I have about 30 reviews, all 5 star 0 cancellations right now!

It’s not about the seller, it’s about his clients. The seller can work really hard for every client, offer excellent customer service, make all the revisions, never over promise, never lie, and still get a bad review

I love this comment 👍

110191_1.png juanwriter:

More than you think:

• When you set your prices range, you are already controlling which customers will contact you.
  • When you copywrite your Gig description, you are already in control on which target customer are you focusing.
  • When you communicate with your potential customers, you control the conversation (if you are skillful enough) to accept or reject the commission, hence, the customer.
  • When you are setting your business foundation and concept, you are already controlling the customers you will have in near future: your avatar, motto, order procedures… even the portfolio.
  • The marketing plan is a powerful tool to control the customer base you build for your business.

I may continue, but I think you get the idea by now 🙂

Please note that I am not really interested in making an overview of a full coaching course here&now, but really, a freelancer is just a 1 person company, but that’s all the difference between you and PepsiCo. All major sell procedures and philosophy applies the same. Believe it or not 🙂

PS: Just for clarification, I think Fiverr should give sellers more tools to identify our buyers, and leave out the ones we don’t want. So, I agree that we need more control in this marketplace, but that does not mean we have zero control as I said. However, more control would be desirable, like checking the reputation of buyers or rejecting an order made without prior communication in a 24h grace period, for example.

When you set your prices range, you are already controlling which customers will contact you.

You’re going to get good and bad customers at any price point, no customers at some price points.

When you copywrite your Gig description, you are already in control on which target customer are you focusing.

Yes and no, bad copy can kill sales, great copy can increase them. But unless it’s a really specific gig (book covers for horror authors), you’re casting a wide net with your copy vs. targeting only a select group of people. Even then, anyone can click the “buy” button.

When you communicate with your potential customers, you control the conversation (if you are skillful enough) to accept or reject the commission, hence, the customer.

I agree with that, but most of my orders don’t come from conversations. I’m not one of those sellers insisting on being contacted before they order.

The marketing plan is a powerful tool to control the customer base you build for your business.

Yeah well, I don’t make marketing plans, I’m a copywriter, not a marketer. I don’t even write the creative brief if I’m lucky enough to get one. Besides, all marketing is gambling, I’ve seen it throughout my career.

Remember the Honda Element? The marketing promoted it to people in their 20s, college students, hikers. The actual sales came from people over 50, who liked that boxy look. See? That’s marketing for you. You can advertise that car on MTV, and it’s cable news watchers that end up buying it.

When you set your prices range, you are already controlling which customers will contact you.

You’re going to get good and bad customers at any price point, no customers at some price points.

When you copywrite your Gig description, you are already in control on which target customer are you focusing.

Yes and no, bad copy can kill sales, great copy can increase them. But unless it’s a really specific gig (book covers for horror authors), you’re casting a wide net with your copy vs. targeting only a select group of people. Even then, anyone can click the “buy” button.

When you communicate with your potential customers, you control the conversation (if you are skillful enough) to accept or reject the commission, hence, the customer.

I agree with that, but most of my orders don’t come from conversations. I’m not one of those sellers insisting on being contacted before they order.

The marketing plan is a powerful tool to control the customer base you build for your business.

Yeah well, I don’t make marketing plans, I’m a copywriter, not a marketer. I don’t even write the creative brief if I’m lucky enough to get one. Besides, all marketing is gambling, I’ve seen it throughout my career.

Remember the Honda Element? The marketing promoted it to people in their 20s, college students, hikers. The actual sales came from people over 50, who liked that boxy look. See? That’s marketing for you. You can advertise that car on MTV, and it’s cable news watchers that end up buying it.

Of course, we have different points of view regarding this topic, which is nice. How boring would be this world if we all share the same ideas! 😃

Archived