The Start of Something Big: Meet Fiverr Pro

mjensen415

It feels like a poorly planned and rushed release.

Exactly. I love Fiverr, I really do. But almost every new thing they release is sudden. It is tested live on the site (and inevitably broken and not functioning as intended, because it wasn’t tested before release – see the current algorithm debacle, which Fiverr themselves have actually agreed is a complete mess). And it just seems to be put out there as a “wouldn’t this be cool” concept, rather than a fully operational site upgrade.

Fiverr, I love you guys, but you keep pushing new features, either before they are ready, or without having tested and considered all angles. I realize you have more behind-the-scenes discussions in the HQ office than we know, but there are more efficient ways to go about these kinds of updates.

And more effective ways of letting the rest of us know that they’re coming.

Indeed. I love Fiverr too. But you can’t run this as a teen startup with the mentality that you’re going to push new stuff and see what happens. You have to test it. Segment it… Work out a proper strategy for information gathering from the people who make Fiverr Fiverr. Work out the consequenses of your ideas, the good, and the bad, and listen to the sellers… When so many of your sellers have deep worries about this change, and it’s the 1st day of release, you have not done this the right way…

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It feels like a poorly planned and rushed release.

Exactly. I love Fiverr, I really do. But almost every new thing they release is sudden. It is tested live on the site (and inevitably broken and not functioning as intended, because it wasn’t tested before release – see the current algorithm debacle, which Fiverr themselves have actually agreed is a complete mess). And it just seems to be put out there as a “wouldn’t this be cool” concept, rather than a fully operational site upgrade.

Fiverr, I love you guys, but you keep pushing new features, either before they are ready, or without having tested and considered all angles. I realize you have more behind-the-scenes discussions in the HQ office than we know, but there are more efficient ways to go about these kinds of updates.

And more effective ways of letting the rest of us know that they’re coming.

Is anyone from Fiverr Staff even going to read all these posts?

I don’t know. I would assume so, at least on some level. After all, @mjensen415 started the topic, and he works for Fiverr. I assume he posted this announcement in the hopes of seeing what kind of response the new Fiverr Pro release gets.

If he responds to this message, we’ll know that he’s reading the posts in this topic. 😉

By scrolling the threads I get the impression that most people are not against the idea but how Fiver is utilizing it. Mixing the Pro with the Regulars seems to be not going over well for most – I think that is pretty much spot on. But being it is the first day, maybe Fiverr has some more roll outs — Maybe!

Who is going to be the first one that does a gig that says “Don’t pay Pro prices when you can get the best at a reasonable price - same quality - same guarantee - better price”

Now I’m starting to wonder if this New Algorithm had something to do with Fiverr Pro

Maybe everyone should put Pro in their tags 🙂

By scrolling the threads I get the impression that most people are not against the idea but how Fiver is utilizing it. Mixing the Pro with the Regulars seems to be not going over well for most – I think that is pretty much spot on. But being it is the first day, maybe Fiverr has some more roll outs — Maybe!

Who is going to be the first one that does a gig that says “Don’t pay Pro prices when you can get the best at a reasonable price - same quality - same guarantee - better price”

Now I’m starting to wonder if this New Algorithm had something to do with Fiverr Pro

Maybe everyone should put Pro in their tags 🙂

No, the algorithm is still messed up and probably has nothing to do with this.

The survey was annoying. Tons of questions about social media followers etc. I work as a voice-over, not a marketing expert, and I keep my social media profiles private to friends and family. I can’t see what this has to do with my work.

Hardly any questions about my actual clients, reviews etc. I don’t know what to think of this yet. Maybe we just have to give it some time to evolve. Or maybe I simply belong on the regular Fiverr, since I don’t have 20 social media accounts and a massive following…

I’m very dissatisfied with the fact that Pro gigs now are showing up along with regular Gigs. This whole thing should be a separate service in my opinion. We already have L1, L2, TRS… And now this Pro thing… I’m not sure how this is going to work out… It affects the excisting structure of Fiverr in a way I’m not happy about.

I’m very dissatisfied with the fact that Pro gigs now are showing up along with regular Gigs. This whole thing should be a separate service in my opinion. We already have L1, L2, TRS… And now this Pro thing…

Why? If they are charging far more than you, are you really trying to compete with them? A Toyota dealer next to a Lexus dealership aren’t competing 90% of the time. And there is often a Ford and GM dealership within a block or so in many cities. (There are also huge clusters of restaurants all selling similar stuff too…)

Many of us have long been unhappy there wasn’t any level above L2 and below TRS. In the VO category almost anybody can get to L2 in a few months, even if they are just OK. I wanted a L3, for people above 500 or 1000 orders, but this is even better.

The real issue is how they market it. In some cases L2 sellers will get a bump IF a buyer goes in to find a Pro seller, then decides you are strong enough and a better value.

I see it as a win if I’m in the Pro group (after it opens to VO), and if I’m not selected, they are going to have to compete with me! Since their prices will be higher, I can still raise my prices and beat them in the value category.

I see no downside over time.

Indeed. I love Fiverr too. But you can’t run this as a teen startup with the mentality that you’re going to push new stuff and see what happens. You have to test it. Segment it… Work out a proper strategy for information gathering from the people who make Fiverr Fiverr. Work out the consequenses of your ideas, the good, and the bad, and listen to the sellers… When so many of your sellers have deep worries about this change, and it’s the 1st day of release, you have not done this the right way…

But you can’t run this as a teen startup with the mentality that you’re going to push new stuff and see what happens. You have to test it. Segment it… Work out a proper strategy for information gathering from the people who make Fiverr Fiverr.

They have been working on this behind the scenes for at least six months. Probably in the works long before that time. What makes you think they haven’t worked on this for a while?

They are smart enough to just test it in a few categories, rather than across the site.

The one thing we can be guarenteed is Fiverr will change over the next couple months, the next few years and beyond.

More people join as sellers, some older sellers won’t keep up, OR they were dependent on the existing ranking system for all their sales. The old ranking system had it’s own strengths and weaknesses.

At the end of the day Fiverr will do whatever ends up selling the most for the overall market, and keeps them growing. If I stay the same as what I did 6 months or a year ago (I barely was started), then I may get left behind.

New sellers will take advantage of the newer system, and new buyers will be attracted if they offer quality sellers at decent prices. They no longer have to just be the lowest priced provider on the planet.

But you can’t run this as a teen startup with the mentality that you’re going to push new stuff and see what happens. You have to test it. Segment it… Work out a proper strategy for information gathering from the people who make Fiverr Fiverr.

They have been working on this behind the scenes for at least six months. Probably in the works long before that time. What makes you think they haven’t worked on this for a while?

They are smart enough to just test it in a few categories, rather than across the site.

The one thing we can be guarenteed is Fiverr will change over the next couple months, the next few years and beyond.

More people join as sellers, some older sellers won’t keep up, OR they were dependent on the existing ranking system for all their sales. The old ranking system had it’s own strengths and weaknesses.

At the end of the day Fiverr will do whatever ends up selling the most for the overall market, and keeps them growing. If I stay the same as what I did 6 months or a year ago (I barely was started), then I may get left behind.

New sellers will take advantage of the newer system, and new buyers will be attracted if they offer quality sellers at decent prices. They no longer have to just be the lowest priced provider on the planet.

I’m sorry but this does feel extremely rushed. Anyone remember the Seller initiative that started a while back? To me, it looks like that was a bust so they decided to go with plan whatever this is.

A lot of good points made…but I’m going to throw all logic out the door and go with my gut. For whatever reason, it just doesn’t have the right feel for Fiverr. I can’t imagine people flocking to Fiverr to lay down $500, $1000, $1500 or more for a gig. I may be wrong, but I think eventually it will melt away. .

No, the algorithm is still messed up and probably has nothing to do with this.

I probably did a poor job explaining. I think the reason the algorithm is messed up is because they are trying to incorporate criteria that includes Pro GIGs or maybe not. Just my 2 cents – oops, let me go Pro – just my 2000 cents.

I’ll ask again: WHY?

They can look at the numbers, the results, the impact on total sales, individual gigs and how the overall market it developing. They have hundreds of data points beyond how I feel about the new system.

Often in a forum like this, if I love the new algorithm (meaning I’m making more sales), I will NOT start posting I’m killing it. I shut up and fill orders.

Nothing is perfect, Fiverr will grow or not. They will need to make course corrections after they get this thing up and running. Same for all other freelance sites, and the same if you run a business outside of Fiverr.

Maybe they should read this thread but if I were them, I wouldn’t care most of the time. This thread, this forum represents a tiny subset of the community of sellers.

They can reach out to the most successful sellers anytime they want. Some of us have “Success Coaches” who touch bases regularly. They can see in the numbers who is doing well, who is not.

So monitoring this forum is optional. Maybe it helps, I doubt it.

IF I’m going to solicit feedback, I’m going to target the ones I think have the potential to earn far more on Fiverr.

Fiverr has a vested interest in sellers making lots of money. Just because I think they should rate me higher, doesn’t mean I actually deserve that. They have tons of internal data points far beyond what I can see.

Their game: I either play along with their rules/systems or I go find another marketplace. If desired, I do it as a freelancer with my own marketing, accounts payable, etc.

Change is happening, we all adopt or find another venue. Lots of paths to success, find the one that works for you.

I’ll ask again: WHY?

They can look at the numbers, the results, the impact on total sales, individual gigs and how the overall market it developing. They have hundreds of data points beyond how I feel about the new system.

Often in a forum like this, if I love the new algorithm (meaning I’m making more sales), I will NOT start posting I’m killing it. I shut up and fill orders.

Nothing is perfect, Fiverr will grow or not. They will need to make course corrections after they get this thing up and running. Same for all other freelance sites, and the same if you run a business outside of Fiverr.

Maybe they should read this thread but if I were them, I wouldn’t care most of the time. This thread, this forum represents a tiny subset of the community of sellers.

They can reach out to the most successful sellers anytime they want. Some of us have “Success Coaches” who touch bases regularly. They can see in the numbers who is doing well, who is not.

So monitoring this forum is optional. Maybe it helps, I doubt it.

IF I’m going to solicit feedback, I’m going to target the ones I think have the potential to earn far more on Fiverr.

Fiverr has a vested interest in sellers making lots of money. Just because I think they should rate me higher, doesn’t mean I actually deserve that. They have tons of internal data points far beyond what I can see.

Their game: I either play along with their rules/systems or I go find another marketplace. If desired, I do it as a freelancer with my own marketing, accounts payable, etc.

Change is happening, we all adopt or find another venue. Lots of paths to success, find the one that works for you.

Yeah but that’s kind of the thing. I’m not saying that they should rank me higher I’m saying this is a bad idea any way you look at it.

The way this has been released is almost softly suggesting that ‘pro’, or ‘quality’ services haven’t yet existed on fiverr, but thank goodness they do now! lol

favicon-32x32.png?v=1514884600The Next Web – 27 Jun 17

Fiverr-hed.jpg

Fiverr quits the race to the bottom with new premium freelancer marketplace

Fiverr Pro is for the best of the best.

The way this has been released is almost softly suggesting that ‘pro’, or ‘quality’ services haven’t yet existed on fiverr, but thank goodness they do now! lol

Agree, no regard for what it says about the quality of the sellers who have gotten them this far.

Here’s the opening statement from that story. “Fiverr is one of the most well-known freelance marketplaces, but it hardly has a reputation for excellence. It’s not a premium brand. Rather, it’s the place you go to when you need something simple done, but don’t want to splash out the cash to pay a real freelancer.”

This seems like it is a good idea for some, but for others like me, it makes me kind of anxious. I understand that low scale buyers(New Sellers, Level 1, 2, etc.) are still going to be able to make money, but it seems like maybe adding this feature to Fiverr will help the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

I’m hoping that sales aren’t pulled away from younger buyers(like me) just because younger buyers don’t have a way to verify that they are a “Professional” even though some of us, who may just not be old enough to provide certain certificates and accomplishments, can possibly be more advanced than other sellers(I am definitely not saying I am, I’m not even close!!)

I took a look at the survey just to see if I had any chance to being a Pro seller, and it turns out, with the copious links to social media that I would have had to provide that proved my professionalism, I’m going to have to wait until I’m out of college(like 8 more years, I’m just now going to be a Freshman in High School). I wish that there was a way they could pick the sellers on their own like they pick TRS so then they are able to pick the best of the best regardless of how “Professional” you are.

I’m not trying to say anything that makes it seem like I can be one of these sellers, because I personally do not believe that I am qualified enough, but I wish that there was a more useful and foolproof selection of sellers instead of what is currently in place.

Also, I took a look at some of the other Pro Seller’s gigs, and the services seem VERY expensive. It may just be my inexpertise in various commercial or professional situations, but thousands of dollars for a whiteboard animation that others offer very similar if not identical services at just a few hundred or less seems kind of outrageous.

Most of the people on this thread are saying that other sellers should raise their prices a little bit to fit in with other buyer’s prices, which I would totally do, but with the services that I offer, it’s a lot of other sellers who just need a quick and inexpensive script written. So, if I raise my prices, my earnings will likely suffer greatly seeing as to how a majority of my sales are repeat buyers who need cheap scripts written so they, too, can make a profit.

This was kind of a little bit of a rant within this thread, and I actually don’t know if this fits it all too well, I tried to get my point across but my main point was drowned in the other ideas that popped into my mind that I just had to write down.

Well, Braden, you are the smartest 13 year old I’ve ever come across in my life. God bless you.

you need to understand that talent from outside the platform was poached and brought here in order to fill in the gaps in “quality” content that would justify the PRO category.

At least in my category, I see at least 3 very well-known agencies and even a startup that created a profile specifically to add their AAA videos to the fiverr platform.

No newbies were approached by Fiverr staff to create a PRO gig.

It’s either veteran sellers, or outsiders with a high rep and quality work on their portfolios.

I think everyone should relax. If you have a quality product and fiverr starts courting buyers used to paying big bucks it’s only going to benefit you.

So, if you create quality logos for $50 and a pro seller offers something comparable for $500 then you’re going to get more business.

I don’t think it’s a big deal.

Frank_d is worth every penny. Hey frank!

Archived