How do you think a seller should respond to someone asking them to visit a page via their link?

amethystblac814

Question

I wasn't going to visit an outside link. In future, I'll just say no. But that was the first time I was asked that, and I wasn't prepared. I did immediately sense that they were spamming, but after the fact, I thought that just maybe they were legit. That thought didn't last long. I tried the link, and it was as if Fiverr knew it was spam. It had been blocked.

Later, for the heck of it, I tried the link outside of Fiverr. It opened, and it was a sales site. While the spammer/buyer was telling me they wanted someone to write multiple pages and that I should refer to the site for examples, all that was there was a set of articles about how to buy insurance. There were no other pages. Furthermore, he quoted far more than anyone would offer a person without feedback. Hence, certainly a spammer. I didn't notice their quote earlier, or I'd not have entertained the notion that they might be legit.  

To clarify, what I am asking is if you go to sites. In future, I will make it clear that I will not do that, period.

Edited by amethystblac814
  • Like 19

I updated my one listing. I have some example material that I want to get in order before posting more gigs. So, on Friday, I was spit-shining it. I had it perfectly in order and made sure of it before hitting submit. Today I decided to go over it again and was horrified to see that Fiverr removed an em-dash from it. Two words ended up smashed together. I had promoted it over the weekend, so that was damaging. Yikes.

I now must commit it to memory that Fiverr doesn't support em dashes. I love em-dashes!

• Like 10
  • Up 1

I wanted to buy a gig/service. The price on the listing was USD 35. With the exchange and other relevant fees, that's $50, which is all I wanted to spend. That listing offered all I needed to get the job done. I discussed the purchase with the seller; he said he could do it as part of that gig. However, the price changed to $50 when I said I was ready to buy. I said no, I didn't want to pay that, given it didn't match the quoted price. The seller then reverted to quoting the listed price, but I did not buy it as trust had been broken.

Does Fiverr have terms prohibiting that kind of behavior--bait-and-switch? When I asked him why he tagged onto the price, as I felt maybe in his mind he had a reason that I wasn't aware of, he gave no response. 

I am voicing this to see what replies I get. 

• Like 16
  • Sad 3

I am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience.

16 minutes ago, amethystblac814 said:

Does Fiverr have terms prohibiting that kind of behavior--bait-and-switch?

That's right. It is against fiverr's community guidelines to "Raise the price of your Gig service in personal messages before or after purchase. Bait-and-switch marketing is not permitted."

Sometimes, sellers quote a different price in personal messages when a buyer is looking for something different than what they are offering as part of a particular package. Maybe the seller quoted a higher price because what you were looking for wasn't within the scope of service they offered as part of the package you wanted to order. The seller might have dropped the price when you asked because he didn't want to lose that sale.

But again, bait and switch isn't something unheard of, and some sellers do this. If the seller doesn't explain why they were charging more in personal messages, they were most probably trying to bait and switch and you can report this to Fiverr.

Fiverr's community standards: https://www.fiverr.com/community/standards/integrity-authenticity

Edited by rahulkajla1
  • Like 14
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

@rahulkajla1, thanks. I didn't think that would be acceptable behavior. What it all came down to was that I didn't ask for anything other than what was listed. So there shouldn't have been a price hike. I appreciate your explanation. Thank you very much for taking the time to offer it.

• Like 16

On 5/26/2023 at 2:02 AM, amethystblac814 said:

I wanted to buy a gig/service. The price on the listing was USD 35. With the exchange and other relevant fees, that's $50, which is all I wanted to spend. That listing offered all I needed to get the job done. I discussed the purchase with the seller; he said he could do it as part of that gig. However, the price changed to $50 when I said I was ready to buy. I said no, I didn't want to pay that, given it didn't match the quoted price. The seller then reverted to quoting the listed price, but I did not buy it as trust had been broken.

Does Fiverr have terms prohibiting that kind of behavior--bait-and-switch? When I asked him why he tagged onto the price, as I felt maybe in his mind he had a reason that I wasn't aware of, he gave no response. 

I am voicing this to see what replies I get. 

You mean price on gig was $35 and when you discussed, seller quoted $50 ?

It do depends on service type. On fiverr, most services are CUSTOM. Not ready made or reselling item. So for every different work, seller do need to calculate CUSTOM budget.

Take my example. I'm software developer. and every software I wrote from scratch. and every time, challenge is different. Depending on time and efforts estimation, I generate quote.

May be for article writing, translation, proofread etc category different ? where you set exact rate. like XYZ words per $xyz.

Note there's also conversion fees, transfer fee $3 (as budget low than $50), %25 charged by fiverr.

So purchasing $35 gig, becomes almost $50.

I suggest better go posting your request on fiverr brief.

Mention budget is strict, no negotiation. and filter from who agrees.

Edited by grayprogrammerz
  • Like 9

On 5/26/2023 at 12:22 AM, amethystblac814 said:

What it all came down to was that I didn't ask for anything other than what was listed. So there shouldn't have been a price hike.

It depends on the service, etc. I for one charge a certain amount per 400 words, but I don't work on more than 2000 words. 

One might think that the price for 4000 words will be 2 x 2000 words, but as I said, I don't work on very large orders. If I really have to, I need to charge a premium for that. So it's up to the seller to choose what price they are comfortable with. No one forces you to buy anything, so might as well ask, right?

• Like 10

On 5/26/2023 at 12:02 AM, amethystblac814 said:

Does Fiverr have terms prohibiting that kind of behavior--bait-and-switch? 

They do. It’s against fiverr TOS. At least it used to be. And on top of that it’s unprofessional to change the price if everything the same as it was included in his gig with lower price 

• Like 13

Opinions, please. 

I completed work on my first listing. I was prepared to promote. I went to submit a post with a link in it when I noticed the URL snippet did not match my gig. I changed the gig along the way, and now the contrast between how it was and how it is too great. It could take a long time for that snippet to update. For now, it seems that perhaps I should leave that listing to sit dormant--more or less abandon it but keep it for its visitor drawing power, as it has some. I'll need to replace it with similar. I'm not impressed. It's like starting over. 

I am unsure of how to proceed. Some people have been here far longer than I have, so please tell me anything that will help. For

• Like 17

On 5/27/2023 at 6:07 PM, amethystblac814 said:

I completed work on my first listing. I was prepared to promote. I went to submit a post with a link in it when I noticed the URL snippet did not match my gig. I changed the gig along the way, and now the contrast between how it was and how it is too great. It could take a long time for that snippet to update.

Like has been said, the URL is unchangeable now (at least after the gig is published).

If the gig URL is now too different to the gig title and you don't want to make it closer to the gig URL then it might be better to create a new gig (and you could change the title of the old one back). That would allow you to use the URL you wanted.

You could also promote (on a site) your profile link instead - and there's an option on Fiverr for Growth & Marketing->Scale Your Business where you can create a badge & link that to your profile.

Technically it's possible to link to your gig without the normal url or using a shortener (though you could use a shorterner if you wanted). But (and I don't know whether Fiverr would mind if this was done) you could link to your gig with fiverr.com/<your gig id> - eg. if your gig id was 317194807 you could put that after "fiverr.com/" in a url you gave - that would show it was going to Fiverr for people but not show the no longer very relevant URL. Though it would still show the URL once that got to that page.

edit: when you select to preview your gig when logged in then it gives you an option to "share your gig". Clicking that then clicking "copy link" gives you a Fiverr-shortened link to your gig when won't show the gig's URL (until they load the page).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 12
  • Confused 1
  • Up 1

I appreciate the offered explanations, however, they don't address the question. The SNIPPET IMAGE has text overlaying it with the original pricing of my services. When starting here I thought I was willing to sell services cheaply to make a name. Then I realized that I did not want to take that route given my depth of experience. Now, the pricing is off-base.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, amethystblac814 said:

I stated that erroneously. I meant to say that the snippet text demonstrates the difference between the original listing's pricing and the new.

If it's the snippet that it shows in google where it's showing $20 under one of your gigs, it will depend how often Google crawls it. In the page source of your gig page it says "for $115" in some of the meta info. Though the google cached copy of your gig shows the $115 basic price so I'm not sure where google's getting that $20 from as it says "for $115" in the page source of googles cached version of it too.

If it's related to google you could ask CS if you wanted their opinion in case they know more. They should have the most info on it. It might depend what frequency Fiverr have asked google to crawl different pages/the crawl rate  setting (some things could be set in the sitemap files I think but they may not have done), but even if they have specified a frequency Google might not actually re-index the pages at that frequency as far as I know - it's more of a request for Google to I think.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 12

To have Google update the snippet would take more effort than I could currently exert. As for Fiverr CS, two days ago I submitted a ticket. Yesterday, the response I received informed me that I could not update a URL.

Their response to the ticket was 100% irrelevant to my explanation. I have taken support tech training and would like a job. Hello Fiverr!  
Surely a tech support agent knows what a snippet and a text slug are. If not, something is wrong. My impression was that they didn't want to deal with it. Strike one. 

• Like 10
  • Up 1

I requested to be removed from this forum, but I am still here. I defended myself when someone ridiculed me in the forum. I politely told them off, as you would with any forum individuals acting like clowns. However, in the request declined by Milo, (the same one who answered my previously mentioned snippet support ticket), I was told that I am too sensitive. Although I remained courteous in the forum, I gave them a piece of my mind. Yet, I am told that I am too sensitive to participate. That's just gaslighting. Sensitive? The email that was not shown in the forum by said clown, well, is the reason he did not show it. Not sensitive, a thinker and a DOER.

Now,  here's the funny part—Fiverr says they are all about inclusivity and stand AGAINST exclusivity. Yet, exclusive remarks have been made here in the recent past, and no one makes so much as a squeak.

You look at the pictures of Fiver sellers and you can see that they are from all regions and many likely are not in English 1st countries. Yet, recently, even though I don't read many posts, twice within the last two weeks I have seen forum members ridicule people for their speech and writing abilities. Helpful things can be said in more discreet ways; only when issued with regard are remarks helpful. 

I have them blocked now so can't refer to them by name, but imagine or imagination, followed by a number, a short while back, said something implying that those without solid English skills are not too swift. That is not inclusive and is prejudice in plain sight. A short while ago, a Fiverr seller used the term "a knock" to refer to a Fiverr notification, which in that context was ultra-clear. Newsmike came up to the plate as the forum hero, as usual, to knock that seller down for his chosen word usage. Newsmike is horrifically appalling in the way he treats people, yet is highly regarded in this community. I shake my head as I try to imagine why. 

People come here to chat, get something out of their system, or ask for advice. They don't come here to be insulted, browbeaten, called stupid, made to feel "other," or any such thing. A forum should be helpful, welcoming, and informative. This one is not. Given what Fiverr professes to be in terms of inclusivity, they owe it to members to clean it up.

They owe it to me to let me out of it in its current state. That is my point in making this post. It is what I call an example post, as a demand to be let out. 

There will be no responses given to this post.

PS--those who reply will be blocked. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, amethystblac814 said:

A short while ago, a Fiverr seller used the term "a knock" to refer to a Fiverr notification, which in that context was ultra-clear. Newsmike came up to the plate as the forum hero, as usual, to knock that seller down for his chosen word usage. Newsmike is horrifically appalling in the way he treats people, yet is highly regarded in this community. I shake my head as I try to imagine why. 

I had intended to follow the advice of another forum member when they advised in PM how to handle this author:

image.thumb.png.3fbc6cac35cc9c7753b65b62d5ab37d2.png

However the nice quiet town square is once again filled with an entirely new thread of blathering nonsense because either, not everyone agrees with the OP, or must be otherwise punished for failing to do so.

As those with no argument left always do, the bottom of the barrel is being scraped in a final attempt at relevance. OP has decided to charge at several senior members of the forum, but single me out by name in the process, with the Cry.  "J'accuse: Racist." 

I will pause a few seconds for mild laughter to die down. 

OP knows this is a lie. A desperate lie that she has settled on now, after flailing around and not landing any other punch with a force that will stick. What OP ignores (I believe, intentionally) is that when I, and several others seize on someone for poor English skills, it is NEVER, NEVER, EVER  someone who is honest and self identifies their English proficiency as "Basic or Conversational."  It is always, 100% of the time when we catch someone obviously LYING about their proficiency by claiming to be "Fluent" while writing like a 3 year old child. We call out deliberate liars. LIARS.  Got it?

Speaking of liars, OP knows this, but with nothing left in her quiver, and even admins telling her to back off the drama, we are treated to such a dishonest post. 

OP said she was leaving, yet here she is.

OP says no response will be forthcoming.  Betting windows are now open. 

Some people have no shame.

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, amethystblac814 said:

I requested to be removed from this forum, but I am still here.

You can simply log out of the forum. You don't need anyone to let you out; you're not being forcefully held here.

As long as you have a Fiverr account, you will have a Fiverr forum account, too. However, forum participation isn't mandatory, and there are numerous Fiverr users (buyers and sellers both) who never use the forum.

• Like 8
  • Up 4

57 minutes ago, michellemagdy said:

unfortunately a sad true. calm down mate 

It's not true though. I had the opportunity to talk and connect with lots of great people here, some of which have already replied. If you don't like someone's posts you can ignore them. You dictate how your forum experience is, not other people. I was insulted by a person the other day, I respectfully disagree with their opinion and moved on. I love the forum because you get to interact with lots of great sellers. Every forest has its bad trees though... I just prefer to stay positive and focus on the things that matter to me. 

• Like 6
  • Up 3

2 hours ago, amethystblac814 said:

I have them blocked now so can't refer to them by name, but imagine or imagination, followed by a number, a short while back, said something implying that those without solid English skills are not too swift. That is not inclusive and is prejudice in plain sight. 

Uh, what? I'm sorry you feel that way. I skimmed my recent posts and the only ones I found that might fit this was intended to be teaching and guiding, not mocking. 

And I have no clue if you can even read this, if you've somehow blocked me. 

• Like 11