Dear Moderators: Please do something about this

smashradio

Dearest of dear sir, mam and brother in law. I'm getting brain-spasms from all the useless gig sharing going on. I mean.. 

No one on the forum is interested in reading this spam. It will have absolutely no benefit to the people posting it and it's making browsing through the forum a nightmare. 

Can't the "My Fiverr Gigs" be hidden from the front page of the forum?

• Like 12

I saw a lot of these @smashradioin casual conversations so moved them to my fiverr gigs.

I agree I'm not interested in seeing it either, but unless I'm mistaken that's what 'my fiverr gigs' is for.

I don't know if we can hide 'my fiverr gigs' from the front page, but I do what @wp_kid suggested myself and it's made it a better experience all round for me.

• Like 9
  • Up 1

On 8/5/2022 at 10:49 PM, wp_kid said:

Dear Sir you can switch to fluid mode & uncheck the unwanted cats. 😉 

That would work, if people kept these posts to the right category. They don't. 

10 hours ago, miiila said:

Also, note that when you hover over the topic title, you can read the first bit and even scroll through the complete opening post without even clicking it, saves a ton of time.

I didn't know that. Useful. Thanks! 

6 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

I saw a lot of these @smashradioin casual conversations so moved them to my fiverr gigs.

I agree I'm not interested in seeing it either, but unless I'm mistaken that's what 'my fiverr gigs' is for.

I appreciate you guys moving the posts, but by the time you have moved them, new ones will have arrived. 

I'm not questioning the purpose of the "My Fiverr Gigs". I'm questioning the need for such a category in the first place. 

• Like 8

We newbs have been bless/cursed with seeing all the hidden posts. I'm currently in the process of moving those out of the way so I can see the forum itself. It would be nice to 'close the door', but we don't have that much power, so have to stick with taking out the flies.

(I miss the old forums ability to completely opt out.)

I do have ADD, though, so while the hyper-focus is great, I did get distracted by merging a bunch of happy-this-holiday topics Wednesday, merging a lot of BR topics Thursday, semi-locking 'News' topics Fri after day job, and conglomerating those stupid 555-555-5555 spam topics today.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

May I humbly suggest that old threads are locked in order to prevent clowns from turning them into an circus? 

I keep seeing old threads with new posts that bring nothing of value to the table.

Thanks

May I humbly suggest that old threads are locked

That would be a great option - I'd love to see if there's an option to have threads auto-locked if they sit around inactive for a certain period of time. If someone really wanted to add to the topic (and the topic is relevant) they can always ask for the thread to be unlocked again.

I keep seeing old threads with new posts that bring nothing of value to the table.

Unfortunately it isn't just the old threads that are being resurrected by spammy responses, many of the new threads get spammy pretty quick. This prompted @cartoon_avatar to make this suggestion:

Whenever I see a topic that is starting to get spammy I'll "reporting" that thread so that it can get locked. I'll also "report" a member if I see a spammy response in a thread and then visit their profile to see that that their last 5 responses were all spammy, too. And then, I report if people are posting in the wrong category or sharing their gigs/gig links inappropriately.

Sometimes I'll let them know I'm reporting (but I don't want to clutter the forum with my responses to spam, so I usually just report silently). Sometimes I'm reporting more than posting on the forum. 

The m0ds do respond to these requests, but so much happens on a daily basis that it's hard for them to keep up with the requests. Or to issue warnings. So there's no real punishment for these spammy posters. The system rewards them for posting, (whether it's good or not), so they keep on posting.

• Like 8

On 10/25/2022 at 5:13 PM, andymoorevoice said:

You can use the Flag to notify forum moderators. Mods will look into your flag and take action. Though on the forum system we (forum mod/admins) can block replies on an older post, that bulk process may also close many informative threads which still relevant at the present date. Bumping old posts without adding any value or any meaningless discussions counted as spam. Our community has a long-running battle with spam. You can take part in it by flagging them. 

• Like 6
  • Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a poster of common nonsense who likes to answer in the portion of the forums where an answer can be voted up or down.

This particular person posts the same copy paste nonsense over and over in this section of the forums and others.

I just noticed they had been downvoted multiple times so I jumped on the band wagon.

Then I noticed they had 15 reactions on their nonsense. Since this makes their reputation increase, I wonder, are they actually a super villain poising to overthrow the fiverr forum as a nefarious grandmaster? 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, atawin said:

There is a poster of common nonsense who likes to answer in the portion of the forums where an answer can be voted up or down.

Forum users are allowed to post in whatever forums they choose. Shared thoughts and opinions are encouraged on this forum.

I just noticed they had been downvoted multiple times so I jumped on the band wagon.

That seems a bit malicious. Would you want someone to repeatedly do that to your posts?

I wonder, are they actually a super villain poising to overthrow the fiverr forum as a nefarious grandmaster?

I don't see how any user would be able to "overthrow the Fiverr forum". Forum ranks are just fun titles. The real grandmasters have strong content to back up their notoriety, and they are easily-identifiable personalities on this forum.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, jonbaas said:

Forum users are allowed to post in whatever forums they choose. Shared thoughts and opinions are encouraged on this forum.

What I mean to say is every post they say is the exact same thing and when I say nonsense, I mean it is irrelevant, it does not seem to me to be a thought, or an opinion. It would be as though the only thing I posted on the forum over and over again was, "Today the sky was in connection to a rack." And I went somewhere else and posted the exact same thing ad nauseam.

8 hours ago, jonbaas said:

That seems a bit malicious. Would you want someone to repeatedly do that to your posts?

I don't think downvoting b.s. is malicious, and while no, I would not want someone to repeatedly do that to my posts, when I reference the downvote multiple times I am referring to within a single thread, I did not stalk the user across the forum looking for things to downvote. So, I think the reason you might be asking if I would want someone to repeatedly do that to my posts is because you think I did something over and over, I did not. Am I correct in understanding what you mean here?

8 hours ago, jonbaas said:
10 hours ago, atawin said:

I wonder, are they actually a super villain poising to overthrow the fiverr forum as a nefarious grandmaster?

I don't see how any user would be able to "overthrow the Fiverr forum". Forum ranks are just fun titles. The real grandmasters have strong content to back up their notoriety, and they are easily-identifiable personalities on this forum.

2 hours ago, melanielm said:
10 hours ago, atawin said:

are they actually a super villain poising to overthrow the fiverr forum as a nefarious grandmaster? 

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." (Hanlon's razor)

This was meant as a joke, I didn't realize super villains were a matter of serious contemplation.

I posted with the tone I did and the poll has the tone it does particularly because this post is contained within the subsection "The Ranting Pot".

Perhaps I have made the overall meaning of my original post unclear by trying to be cute.

What I want to know is, would anyone care to share their opinion on the likelihood of the following?:

1. A person on the forums goes around posting the equivalent of "Today the sky was in connection to a rack." 2. This person specifically posts that exact phrase repeatedly in the section of the forums which can be downvoted so that they will show at the bottom of the page which is an area that has a lot of eyes on it. 3. This person specifically does so for the purpose of attracting the attention of the forum users who frequently 'react/like' posts with the apparent reason of increasing their forum rank by arbitrarily liking the posts as it seems there is not a discrimination of what these users tend to like, everything is liked. 4. The person has decided to do this so that their reputation score and/or forum title increase with minimal work, for the same reason I assume the 'serial likers' do which I assume is the same reason I tend to like playing 'clicker games', that reason being, it can be amusing to watch numbers become bigger numbers.

The reason I think the scenario I laid out above is likely is because the only downvoted person on the thread I am referring to had 15 likes, while the person who contributed the best answer had 12.

• Like 3

On 11/9/2022 at 3:56 PM, atawin said:

This was meant as a joke, I didn't realize super villains were a matter of serious contemplation.

To fiction writers/readers/gamers, a story's villain is indeed Serious Business! Memorable villains to contrast and hinder the hero are just as critical to get right as the hero themselves. 

---

Moved the topic to Forum Feedback, since there is a teasing/joking tone to it. Ranting Pot does have some not-serious rants in it, but usually the grievances are indeed serious.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Lena @williambryan392 I think this topic should be removed. It doesn’t bring any value, it’s a false advice and has nothing to do with reality on how to get orders. “Drink this tea and you are magically will become smarter” kinda advice. 

And I didn’t use a report button in hopes that other sellers who wish to open this kind of topics would see that they can be reported. 

• Like 5
  • Up 1

I'll hide this topic shortly because like you say @mariashtelle1 it's incorrect / bad advice, and / or not original content.

1 minute ago, filipdevaere said:

Is there a reason why nobody is cleaning up the topics with false advice?

@filipdevaere we really do try. It's a balancing act of allowing free speech and removing spam / incorrect advice.

For example, in the above, staying active is bad advice, having an attractive gig image is technically not bad advice.

It is however advice that is certainly not original which is why I'm happy to hide this.

Also, being a mod isn't a full time thing, most of us are volunteers, and there's just too darn much of it to stay on top of it.

There are daily user warnings and hiding of topics / comments. Most just don't see it happening.

If you tag me or another mod (not all of us see when the report button is used) we can take a look 😃

• Like 5
  • Up 2

10 hours ago, filipdevaere said:

Is there a reason why nobody is cleaning up the topics with false advice?

Just want to add an observation to what @williambryan392 mentioned about the unseen cleanup: the automated filter relies on trigger words/phrases, and can only catch so much, but also triggers on false positives. If there were a filter for 'cake only', then it tiggers on both "cake only best diet" AND "the cake only diet is a lie!" even though the second is debunking. It also trips if the triggers is in a quote box, which causes more false positives. 

Manually checking stuff takes time, and is oft delayed, and even more oft, never seen. So, yes, PLEASE do tag a specific m0derator or four, for serious/urgent infractions, and definitely use the report option.

• Like 6
  • Up 4