My client didn't make an order and asks me to start the project

xnaxer

Question

Hello everyone,

I'm a new beginner seller on Fiverr and a client send me a message to start a mascot design project.(the first client)

After some conversations I created an offer for him to make an order and we start the project,but...

he says: "when you are half way and ready to send me in the middle the design tell me and I will pay at that moment" 

I already said him that he first needs to make the order and pay in advance on Fiverr.

I need help because I'm a newbie here, is this illegal on Fiverr to send design to a client?is it possible at all?(without any order)

Guide me if it's possible. Thank you.

7 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, xnaxer said:

Hello everyone,

I'm a new beginner seller on Fiverr and a client send me a message to start a mascot design project.(the first client)

After some conversations I created an offer for him to make an order and we start the project,but...

he says: "when you are half way and ready to send me in the middle the design tell me and I will pay at that moment" 

I already said him that he first needs to make the order and pay in advance on Fiverr.

I need help because I'm a newbie here, is this illegal on Fiverr to send design to a client?is it possible at all?(without any order)

Guide me if it's possible. Thank you.

Better practice to get order and then working on project. But if the buyer wanted to see your skill as you are new then It can be acceptable that he accept order on the middle. But try to convince him to order in your way.

1 minute ago, shahriyarmamun said:

Better practice to get order and then working on project. But if the buyer wanted to see your skill as you are new then It can be acceptable that he accept order on the middle. But try to convince him to order in your way.

Thank you shahriyarmamun!

The only thing that I'm worried about is that isn't this against the Fiverr's Terms of use?

And if the answer is no, so I have to deliver my early designs in conversation section?

4 minutes ago, xnaxer said:

so I have to deliver my early designs in conversation section?

You don’t have to deliver anything in conversation section if there is no order. 

it’s not against TOS to send your work without an order but you can’t complain afterwords and ask what you can do if there was no order in place and your client refused to pay.
You are just choosing to work for free and fiverr also don’t earn money if you don’t. 

1 minute ago, mariashtelle1 said:

You don’t have to deliver anything in conversation section if there is no order. 

it’s not against TOS to send your work without an order but you can’t complain afterwords and ask what you can do if there was no order in place and your client refused to pay.
You are just choosing to work for free and fiverr also don’t earn money if you don’t. 

Thank you, that's TRUE.

1 hour ago, xnaxer said:

Total crap why even do that, if he didn't book you, you don't need to do anything my friend there are many frauds on Fiverr you stick with Fiverr policy that's the best practice you can do

8 hours ago, xnaxer said:

Politely inform the buyer that Fiverr strongly recommends that sellers never even start working until the order is placed.

It's not illegal, but don't let people bully you into something you think isn't right.

Fiverr is set up in a mostly fail-proof way, for both buyers and sellers, and especially for buyers. There's no good reason for you as a seller to bear that kind of risk that your buyer wants to drop on you. Fiverr act as kind of an escrow service. You can't just take his few dollars and run away. Buyers don't pay sellers directly but they pay Fiverr, and Fiverr only releases that money to the seller, once the seller delivered, and the buyer had three days to check the delivery, before the order completes. And even then, the money is only accessible to the seller after further 7 or 14 days - ample time for a buyer to complain to Fiverr if anything with the delivery was fishy. 

There's no legitimate reason for a buyer to demand that a seller works without an order being placed, i.e. with not the least bit of certainty for the seller that they'll be paid for their time. 

If you want to, you can do small samples for free, but even that can be an absolute loss. Believe it or not, there are creatures out there who quilt a delivery for their own customer out of samples they got for free from several sellers. Some people will rather do anything else than honest work to earn money.

If a buyer does that, my advice is to kindly but firmly point out how Fiverr works (you did that already), maybe explain that their money will safely stay with Fiverr until order completion, and find the relevant link to the order/payment process in Fiverr's Buyer Help Center and send that along 

If a buyer still insist and wants to use Fiverr but not play by the house rules, you're probably better off bidding them good-bye. Chances that it's a scammer are high, and chances of further trouble, too.

Of course, new sellers in need of reviews are the ones most susceptible to taking the risk of not being paid, so the people who never intended to pay in the first place, prey on them especially. 

In short: Your "buyer" may or may not pay up in the end, but you'll find many forum posts by sellers who got scammed like this, and it's not how Fiverr is supposed to work, so it shouldn't be supported, for the sake of the platform and its users.

I wish you better luck with your next customers!

Archived