Why is there no 'contest page' for Charities? How can we pay people that have computers when we are helping the starving?

onefamilyworld

As a new user of Fiverr, I quickly realised that there is no charity-friendly option on the platform. Since it is against the Constitution of our Foundation, to pay for services, when people are starving at this moment, the only option for us is to manually contact service providers. This is against Fiverr's Terms of Service. So we come in a predicament. Fiverr, a well respected global platform, that requires Charities to pay for services.

My solution to this predicament is simple, why not create a 'Contest Page', or 'Contribution to Charity Page', where Charities can post open positions or services and all the creators of the platform have the simple option to contribute some of their free time to help those in need.

When you are working for FIverr and you read this, bring it up the chain of command, so the person that is responsible for this decision can explain me and other charities, why this has not been implement and thought of by Fiverr itself. I find it totally absurd to be honest.

In case you agree with this, One-Family.World is the name of the Foundation. Our main goal is to feed, cloth and house the starving, both humans and animals, and assist in the healing of the planet. We are just starting out, still looking for website developers who like to join long term,  everybody is welcome to join or contribute in any way they see fit. 

In case you would like to know more or what we are doing, or feel like you can contribute something, please don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Love

Robert Steenhoff

• onefamilyworld changed the title to Why is there no 'contest page' for Charities? How can we pay people that have computers when we are helping the starving?

Funny at the time of posting, I a person, dedicating all his time to helping the starving, gets a warning for contacting service providers. Do you see the ridiculousness in this?

This is not starting to look pretty for Fiverr as a platform in general. Our and other charities have been talking about this for a while, Fiverr is not the only organisation which is non-friendly to Charities

There are other platforms that offer what you are looking for. You can always promote and post your job postings on regular job sites marked as "volunteer". Fiverr is a site for freelancers, who work to earn an income. The prices that you can find on this site are already significantly lower than others in many industries. It also isn't a platform designed for long-term positions like the ones you are searching for.

Whilst it seems like your cause is noble, very few people are willing to work for free. Every charity I have worked with has paid me for my work or provided compensation in other forms. Some of these projects were done at a discounted rate because I supported the charity and agreed with their work. 

Personally if I were you, I'd find another platform that is designed for charities (they do exist). Otherwise, you could pay for the services you are looking for through a freelance marketplace platform like Fiverr.

Wish you and your charity the best of luck!

So you have worked for other charities in the past did you? What were the primary causes that all the effort of the Charity went into? By providing a discounted rated, you indirectly helped the cause they are supporting. One-Family.World is using all its efforts to feed the starving. Would you still do a discounted rate or do it for free in case you have some free time?

So you also say that very few people are willing to work for free. That is not true, it might be true for you. But there are plenty of people around helping those in need, you might just not be one of them, which is fine too. Everybody should decide for themselves what they think is decent.

I am just saying that I find it decent to feed the starving and don't pay for any services, because every euro goes directly out of the mouth of a hungry kid.

So - I will start with the fact that I do  support charities and even volunteer from time to time. 

But - I also have to eat. And I have bills to pay. Worked hard to get where I'm at and I have been in a position where I've had nothing to eat. Several times. 

My point is that while there are people who are in the position who might be able to help you for free - you shouldn't disregard the fact that freelancers also have to live somehow. I do see that your heart is in the right place - but you only seem to see one side of the coin. Life is precious - and no child (or adult) should starve. But there is a time and place for everything and free work is something that most freelancers can't afford to do. Those who can I'm sure do already. 

There could definitely be contests and such (maybe the site could sponsor it instead of the charities) but again - people deserve to get paid for their work unless they offer to do it for free. It's just how the world works right now (and whether that's sad or not is something I won't mull over here but... This is what I believe.)

Fiverr is a platform for freelancers to earn money. Most people are not interested in working for free. Those that are, will look for charities directly. Fiverr is not a charity, nor does it cater to people wanting work done for free. This is a job for many people, and jobs need to pay.

5 hours ago, onefamilyworld said:

When you are working for FIverr and you read this, bring it up the chain of command, so the person that is responsible for this decision can explain me and other charities, why this has not been implement and thought of by Fiverr itself. I find it totally absurd to be honest.

Whilst the concept of this may be a great idea, I feel like your general tone and vibe is rather entitled. Very entitled actually.
Finding it 'absurd' and demanding explanations as to why something has not been implemented is a bizarre attitude to have.

Maybe if you created a thread along the lines of "Hey, I have a great idea of a concept we could implement to help out charities, this is the overview, what do you guys think?" Then fantastic. But your approach is off-putting, and as much as I like to contribute to causes I care about, I wouldn't consider your idea or foundation as your attitude is awful.

Also, I can't help but see your post as a form of self promotion, leaving your email address and asking people to reach out to you if they can help with your website design, or want to know 'more', whatever that is. I've also looked for your organization, and can see no online footprint or evidence of you existing or being credible.
For all anyone here knows, you could be a scammer looking to get free work out of web designers.
Plus, it's a Proton email address which is synonymous with scammers wanting to keep their identity hidden, instead of a reputable business email address which a charity should have.

4 hours ago, onefamilyworld said:

Funny at the time of posting, I a person, dedicating all his time to helping the starving, gets a warning for contacting service providers. Do you see the ridiculousness in this?

This is not starting to look pretty for Fiverr as a platform in general. Our and other charities have been talking about this for a while, Fiverr is not the only organisation which is non-friendly to Charities

As previously stated, we currently have no idea you are who you say you are. So no, I do not see any ridiculousness in that. Furthermore, contacting people without their permission is unprofessional, and in breach of many data protection laws and regulations too. I've already come to the conclusion that I'm 99% sure you're a scammer anyway, as no charity would ever go around contacting people asking them to work for free, because it's 'all for a good cause and you're stopping little kids from starving'.
Until you show me some credibility that you are a registered charity, with an official charity registration number, you won't be changing my mind.

3 hours ago, onefamilyworld said:

I am just saying that I find it decent to feed the starving and don't pay for any services, because every euro goes directly out of the mouth of a hungry kid.

Good for you that you find it decent. Trying to guilt people into feeling a certain way or donating is however not decent, and not the behaviour of any reputable charity I know or have ever seen.

5 hours ago, onefamilyworld said:

When you are working for FIverr and you read this, bring it up the chain of command, so the person that is responsible for this decision can explain me and other charities, why this has not been implement and thought of by Fiverr itself.

Because sellers wouldn't make a dime on it, therefore Fiverr wouldn't make a dime on it, and people work and build services so they can make money. Not just "to help" some nebulous third party.

8 hours ago, onefamilyworld said:

Since it is against the Constitution of our Foundation, to pay for services

Well, that’s a poor way to run a charity. 

there are other websites dedicated for volunteer services for charities but of course any website like that will have to go through the process of verifying that you a real charity. 
It also makes me question how legit the charity is if they are not aware of those platforms and how things are done in that world and or why they didn’t register themselves there and the question comes if you just didn’t do the homework on how to get volunteers or if you couldn’t pass verification process on those platforms. 

My solution to this predicament is simple, why not create a 'Contest Page', or 'Contribution to Charity Page', where Charities can post open positions or services

It will be simply against fiverr TOS, the minimal amount for services is 5$. Which already feels like a charity getting services for 5 bucks. 
Plus fiverr will have to create a system where they verify all charities otherwise anyone can claim themselves as a charity to get services for free. And I don’t see why fiverr will be incentivised to spend money and resources on something that they wouldn’t make money on 🤷‍♀️

Do you see the ridiculousness in this?

No, I see your stance as ridiculous though.  I have worked for many charities, including St. Jude's Research hospital, probably the largest hospital in the states dedicated to childhood cancer.  Every time I have worked for a LEGITIMATE charity, they have treated me as a professional and paid for my services, just as they pay their staff, their doctors, their taxes and their vendors.  You seem awfully entitled in your approach, and could take a lesson from actual charities that employ people who have families to feed. You seem to be quite an amateur in regard to how charities run. 

4 hours ago, joshnadin said:

Plus, it's a Proton email address which is synonymous with scammers wanting to keep their identity hidden, instead of a reputable business email address which a charity should have.

It is a complete scam. Charity Navigator has never heard of them.

image.thumb.png.f7046c31dedf38b8506e8772555fb577.png

11 hours ago, onefamilyworld said:

I am just saying that I find it decent to feed the starving

Then feed them out of your own pocket instead of expecting people to work for free and have their own kids starve.

For many, Fiverr is their only source of income and their only way to feed their families.

I understand you've a noble cause; however, allow me to put some financial information in plain words. 

1. If you're not paid for the work you're doing, you're going to starve. 

2. In a free-market economy, you're responsible to clean your own sh***.

3. Fiverr, is, a, business generation, platform, and, if, it, doesn't, make money, and, doesn't let, others, do it, too, it is, closing down. 

4. Income generation is directly proportional to work done. If I don't get paid, I don't do business. 

5. You can't just show up and make us feel guilty for not doing something for children who are starving.  How do you know we aren't doing anything, rather, many of us would be doing things for the needy without letting all of us know? 

6. The silhouette you're portraying is indeed heart wrenching; however, none of us is responsible for that. 

According the modern concept of nation's state, the social contract between people and state is that people will pay taxes and state in return would ensure everyone's getting something to eat, job to work in, and are secure. 

Why don't you pressurize the state/s those kids live in? 

7. The tenacious behavior you're exhibiting suggests that your work/cause/charity network isn't only dubious but somewhat malevolent as well. 

8. Many of us, including me, come from poor families and are supporting our own families/kids to get something to eat. We ask you don't snatch that from us. 

9. It ABSOLUTELY ISN'T shameful for us, or for the fiverr, not to take part in an unknown charity work. 

10. I wish you all be best, will also suggest you work on how do you interact with others and compel them to work with you for the noble cause you're doing. 

On 10/21/2021 at 7:15 PM, visualstudios said:

@rabihumakhan Yep, that was a beautiful take down. Nailing all the points, well done!

Thanks. It is absolutely problematic to put us all to shame and ravage our hard-work because some children in an unknown place are starving. 

We don't owe them anything. We may help them but not like this the op is demanding. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived