Making it mandatory to provide your real first name on your fiverr profile

gajuseidi

I've been thinking about it for some time and I wanted to throw this idea out there.

When working with a client, I always want to know their real name and call them by their real name. It is a general business etiquette to do so and gives a personal touch to the process of delivering a service. This is very difficult to do on fiverr. Sometimes you get lucky and the client introduces themselves, other times you can decipher their name from their username, but most of the time you don't have any other option than to adress them by their username. I have tried to ask my clients how may I adress them, but most of the time to no avail. It seems like most of the clients like to skip all the introductions and get straight to their order.

I believe it would be highly productive if we, the sellers on the platform, would be provided our clients real names when working with them. Fiverr already has a regulation in their TOS against misrepresenting yourself, why not go a little further and make it mandatory to provide your real first name? I understand the concerns of privacy, that's why I'm not suggesting a full name to be provided, just the first name. I think it would go a very long way and add a lot of professionalism to the platform. Please let me know what you think about this idea.

I’d be up for having how I prefer to be addressed (same for buyers) listed in the profile somewhere. And yes, it’ll open the door for individuals who prefer to be called “Cupcake” at the very least. If this is the level of professionalism they choose to exhibit, it’s up to them. 

I’m not sure why fiverr or any of my buyers need to know my “real” first name. It’ll have to be most likely verified and taken from the passport by fiverr and no one ever calls me by that name in real life. 

27 minutes ago, lenasemenkova said:

I’d be up for having how I prefer to be addressed (same for buyers) listed in the profile somewhere.

This is exactly my point. The names would not have to be confirmed by ID, just appear on a profile somewhere.

24 minutes ago, lenasemenkova said:

I’m not sure why fiverr or any of my buyers need to know my “real” first name. It’ll have to be most likely verified and taken from the passport by fiverr and no one ever calls me by that name in real life. 

Fiverr already knows the names of everyone, who attaches bank account details to their fiverr profile, this process is not necessary. I think it would be a lot more productive if I could call my client James rather than huffpuff621.

54 minutes ago, gajuseidi said:

I think it would be a lot more productive if I could call my client James rather than huffpuff621

How are you going to make people provide real, “valid” or “professional” names that are real, valid and professional for everyone? Will there be someone to check them? Will there be penalties if the names are “unprofessional”? If the person feels like huffpuff621 today, who are we to judge?

It’s an international site. The name Suki/Sookie is unintentionally hilarious (and probably offensive to some) if you speak Russian. If you’re unaware that it’s a perfectly normal name. They had to dub Devon Aoki’s character “darling” when Fast and Furious 2 came out. Then Gilmore Girls started to run on daytime TV and the poor voiceover would go: “Zooouukekh” just to make it sound different. 🙂 No offense to everyone named Suki, of course. 

In any case. I don’t think it’s necessary or helps with anything. 

You would *think* that it’d limit your “dears”, “sirs” and “mams” but let’s be honest, your usual suspects don’t read or care anyway. I’m mostly bothered by the “mandatory” part of this initiative. It implies that the name should be verified as valid/professional by someone and that if it is not, something will need to be done about it. 

If it’s optional, I’m all up for it. I’d love to stop people from calling me “lenase”. 🙂

28 minutes ago, lenasemenkova said:

How are you going to make people provide real, “valid” or “professional” names that are real, valid and professional for everyone? Will there be someone to check them? Will there be penalties if the names are “unprofessional”? If the person feels like huffpuff621 today, who are we to judge?

I was thinking more along the lines of, let's say, facebook. While I do understand that the platforms are very different, I have done quite a few commissions through my facebook page and I really miss being able to adress my clients by their names, not by their favourite phrase with random numbers in the end. Of course, no one is checking if your name on facebook is correct or valid, that would be ridiculous, but most of the people I know, do use their real names on there.

36 minutes ago, lenasemenkova said:

The name Suki/Sookie is unintentionally hilarious (and probably offensive to some) if you speak Russian.

As I live in Lithuania, I do speak russian a little bit. It is an unfortunate name in russian context. 😄

40 minutes ago, lenasemenkova said:

In any case. I don’t think it’s necessary or helps with anything.

I kindly disagree. I believe it would go a very long way in building fiverr's reputation as well as building stronger business relationships between the sellers and their clients. I don't think that total anonimity is really that helpful when we're talking about professional legal services. And maybe while providing your name would be mandatory, showing it publicly would be optional. Many e-commerce websites do this, I really don't see the lack of this option being an advantage.

1 hour ago, lenasemenkova said:

I’m mostly bothered by the “mandatory” part of this initiative. It implies that the name should be verified as valid/professional by someone and that if it is not, something will need to be done about it. 

I believe it could bring a lot more quality to business relationships we are trying to build here on fiverr. Maybe it shouldn't be strictly mandatory, more of a QoL thing. I just feel like the whole talking to a capital letter H in a grey circle, named huffpuff621 experience could be vastly improved and more professional. Fiverr claims to be a professional freelancing platform after all.

48 minutes ago, gajuseidi said:

I really miss being able to adress my clients by their names

I guess I just never have a problem of just saying “hello” and that’s it. If the person on the other end introduces themselves, I am going to assume that it’s important to them to be properly addressed. If they don’t, we’ll go with “hello” and “thank you”. 

Then again, a lot of my clientele are party promoters, often multiple people using the same account. You can be dozens of orders in with them and the communication will still be very, very informal. On their end, of course, I wouldn’t want to get flagged or reported. 

On an unrelated note, I love Lithuania. I’d love to go as soon as I get fully vaccinated. If they let people in, of course. 

There are a great many people out there who have Fiverr as a side gig.  It's more than possible they don't want their employers to know about it.  Or even their friends and family. 

The other thing worth bearing in mind is that a *lot* of buyers don't want *their* clients to know they're getting their stuff done on fiverr, rather than in house - *that* can hit their bottom line!

If you want someone to know your real name, tell them.  If they want *you* to know, they'll tell you. 

It's like owning a shop - you don't need to know the name of everyone who enters it; neither do you need to build anything more than a friendly, approachable and professional-ish relationship.  Do good work.  They'll come to rely on that.

25 minutes ago, lenasemenkova said:

You can be dozens of orders in with them and the communication will still be very, very informal.

See, that's my issue. I find it uncomfortable having a repeat buyer, who orders from me 5 times, we chat in a friendly, somewhat informal manner, yet I still don't know their name. And yes, I could ask them their name (as I have tried before in the beginning of the conversation, to no avail), it just feels really awkward after talking for so long. If I was to ask for their name after such a lengthy conversation and a bunch of orders, the client would probably feel that something was wrong 😄 Maybe it's a personal thing, but I find the order/commission process a lot more pleasant and professional when I can call the client by their name and they can call me by my name.

34 minutes ago, lenasemenkova said:

On an unrelated note, I love Lithuania. I’d love to go as soon as I get fully vaccinated. If they let people in, of course. 

You absolutely should sometime! As of now the nation-wide quarantine has been canceled and people can already fly if they have their vaccination pass.

3 hours ago, gajuseidi said:

James rather than huffpuff621.

What? huffpuff621's name was Greg.  

Haha, with that said I'm kinda fine with the way things are at the moment. Buyers signing off with their names if they want or don't want to! I'll address them whatever is convenient for them. I am guessing the ones who don't sign off with anything don't mind the typical "Hi" anyway. But if something like this gets implemented, fine with me too. 😁

28 minutes ago, coerdelion said:

There are a great many people out there who have Fiverr as a side gig.  It's more than possible they don't want their employers to know about it.  Or even their friends and family. 

The other thing worth bearing in mind is that a *lot* of buyers don't want *their* clients to know they're getting their stuff done on fiverr, rather than in house - *that* can hit their bottom line!

That is understandable, that's why after thinking a bit more about it, I'm leaning towards this implementation being optional, if it ever comes to fruition.

29 minutes ago, coerdelion said:

It's like owning a shop - you don't need to know the name of everyone who enters it; neither do you need to build anything more than a friendly, approachable and professional-ish relationship.

I don't think this comparison is valid. First off, the amount of communication required when purchasing a product vs commissioning an order/ordering a service is vastly different. With big, ongoing projects it's not even comparable. Secondly, most services, especially freelance services are custom and tailor-made, which means that the communication part of the process is vital for the success. Thirdly, a service is more often than not more of a collaboration, where both parties are equally involved, rather than a purchase. As I replied just above, I do understand why people would like to remain anonymous in some cases, but the option to display your name really would not hurt, in my opinion.

56 minutes ago, coerdelion said:

If you want someone to know your real name, tell them.  If they want *you* to know, they'll tell you. 

Yeah, guess so.

7 hours ago, gajuseidi said:

I've been thinking about it for some time and I wanted to throw this idea out there.

When working with a client, I always want to know their real name and call them by their real name. It is a general business etiquette to do so and gives a personal touch to the process of delivering a service. This is very difficult to do on fiverr. Sometimes you get lucky and the client introduces themselves, other times you can decipher their name from their username, but most of the time you don't have any other option than to adress them by their username. I have tried to ask my clients how may I adress them, but most of the time to no avail. It seems like most of the clients like to skip all the introductions and get straight to their order.

I believe it would be highly productive if we, the sellers on the platform, would be provided our clients real names when working with them. Fiverr already has a regulation in their TOS against misrepresenting yourself, why not go a little further and make it mandatory to provide your real first name? I understand the concerns of privacy, that's why I'm not suggesting a full name to be provided, just the first name. I think it would go a very long way and add a lot of professionalism to the platform. Please let me know what you think about this idea.

As you, I prefer to use the real name of my buyers. I often end my first response with my name, so they at least know mine. Then it's really up to them. Forcing people to put their real name (even if it's just the first name) would probably put some people off, because they appreciate that they can come on Fiverr, buy something, then move on, not having Fiverr attached to their name. 

I have certain clients who don't want it to become known where they source projects from, and I'm fine with that. It's sort of a built in white-lable solution for them to be anonymous on Fiverr. 

Sure, it's only their first name. But if the picture matches the first name of the guy running a business and so on, it's fairly easy to uncover where they got the work done. 

So I wouldn't make it mandatory. But perhaps a small reminder in the messaging system that "Presenting yourself with your real first name is considered polite" or something like that could be beneficial. 

18 minutes ago, gajuseidi said:
1 hour ago, coerdelion said:

It's like owning a shop - you don't need to know the name of everyone who enters it; neither do you need to build anything more than a friendly, approachable and professional-ish relationship.

I don't think this comparison is valid. First off, the amount of communication required when purchasing a product vs commissioning an order/ordering a service is vastly different. With big, ongoing projects it's not even comparable. Secondly, most services, especially freelance services are custom and tailor-made, which means that the communication part of the process is vital for the success. Thirdly, a service is more often than not more of a collaboration, where both parties are equally involved, rather than a purchase. 

True, purchasing product/goods can never, and in no way, be compared to providing services. But you really don't need to address your clients by their names to provide great customer care and top-notch products/service. In fact, you don't need to address them at all - at least not in the virtual world. Real-world business is an entirely different story, though.

2 minutes ago, gajuseidi said:

don't think this comparison is valid.

Hmmm .... Fiverr's business model is based on fast food - choose what you like, pay for it and await the result.  They've certainly grown from that, but the truth is that's still their bottom line.  Witness the *HUGE* wave of $5 gigs since the pandemic began.

I've noticed quite a few "lets make this site a whole lot more middle class" posts in recent months ... which, y'no, is reasonable - we all want to appear respectably employed.  But again, the truth is this business model *works* for Fiverr.  They're not going to change it any time soon.

Unless you go pro, in which case I wouldn't be surprised if they shift that to a more respectable sounding place ...

I left one of the platforms when they suddenly decided that all people on that platform need to have “passport” names. It happened really weird, I was already working years on that platform and suddenly one day I couldn’t withdraw my funds, I reached out to support, they said that my nickname on the platform doesn’t match the name on my billing and that I should explain to them why that happened. I was quite mad and told them that they should explain to me why they made “passport” names mandatory without giving a notice that they will be changing their terms of service.
Long story short short, I left my 50$ there on the platform and never came back working there. it was more trouble to go through the process of confirming my passport name (which is translated to English in a weird way) than leaving 50$ there forever. 

wisdom of the day: people should be allowed to have any names (if they can prove their identity behind the scenes) especially if that wasn’t in the TOS from the beginning 

On 8/8/2021 at 5:37 PM, smashradio said:

I have certain clients who don't want it to become known where they source projects from, and I'm fine with that. It's sort of a built in white-lable solution for them to be anonymous on Fiverr. 

Sure, it's only their first name. But if the picture matches the first name of the guy running a business and so on, it's fairly easy to uncover where they got the work done. 

So I wouldn't make it mandatory. But perhaps a small reminder in the messaging system that "Presenting yourself with your real first name is considered polite" or something like that could be beneficial. 

Yes, I can totally understand that. My choice of words was a bit poor when I was trying to convey the essence of what my suggestion is. I think this option of showing your real name could be entirely optional, not mandatory, but I would be great if the option was there. It just feels great to know the name of the client beforehand so I can communicate in a more respectful and professional manner, that's all.

On 8/8/2021 at 5:42 PM, maitasun said:

But you really don't need to address your clients by their names to provide great customer care and top-notch products/service.

I understand that. You don't need to, but it's great when you do. Same goes if the client calls me by my real name, I think it adds a layer of trust and professionalism. We can, of course, do without it, it's not essential. But I think, it would be a great addition. (not mandatory, maybe entirely optional)

Personally I don't like to use my real name. Once I build a certain relationship with repeat buyers and IF or WHEN they ask for my real name then I will go ahead and tell them. I don't mind using my name if I HAD to, but if I had the option of using an alias I prefer that, at least in Fiverrland. Don't ask me why because I can't really explain it. I guess I want certain things to be kept unknown online...?? I don't use my real name on any social platforms like Facebook and twitter.

I get your point though, if you're trying to have a professional conversation with a buyer/client,

"Hello girlwholovescatstoebeans123" could sound strange for some people compared to "Hello Mary."

BTW I love cats' toe beans. Very much in fact.

4 hours ago, gajuseidi said:

Yes, I can totally understand that. My choice of words was a bit poor when I was trying to convey the essence of what my suggestion is. I think this option of showing your real name could be entirely optional, not mandatory, but I would be great if the option was there. It just feels great to know the name of the client beforehand so I can communicate in a more respectful and professional manner, that's all.

Yeah, as long as it's not mandatory I'm onboard with it. I think using real names is way better than nicknames. I've been called Mr. Smash and Mr. Radio a bunch of times. I must admit it makes me laugh, so maybe we should keep it as is just for gags. :classic_biggrin:

I don't know if this is true for all jurisdictions, but where I live in Atlantic Canada, when you register a business, it goes into a public online record. So, my government has already doxxed me. A mandatory name reveal on fiverr wouldn't create any new negatives for me.

I would vote for it to be opt-in though. Choice is nice. Like, my real name is fairly common. I could get mistaken for being a different buyer, or another buyer could more easily pretend to be me. I would prefer to stick to a unique custom name as a sort of "branding".

• 2 weeks later...

Based on what I've observed over the years, this won't end well if it does become mandatory. Fiverr became an attractive work platform because they allowed users to choose names they prefer to go by. Even if there were an opt-out option, chances are high that it will be forced upon users months after it gets announced.

Whatever name the client approaches you with is the name they should be addressed by unless stated otherwise by the client. Enforcing a first name/real name policy will get messy fast (especially when it comes to names that sound too "extravagant" to be real). In addition to this, if there's an on site dispute it may result in said user(s) getting flamed in online discussion boards and worse yet cyber-stalked.

While it's understandable that you want a professional relationship with your client, there are some that like to work in anonymity especially when it comes to hiring freelancers.

This doesn't make sense at all. Fiverr knows and acknowledges that they have teams working on the platform. How can "visual studios" go by a personal name if there's more than one person working here? I usually tell my name to buyers, because I'll be the one talking (just like now, it's just me personally writing on forum, not the whole team), but the profile itself is for a team, so it can't be under a single name.

This is a major problem of mine with upwork, actually. I wanted to set up an account as Visual Studios, and it's not allowed. So I'm not gonna work there, as I won't go by my name, it doesn't make sense in my case. I don't like the whole "personal branding" trend, I'd much rather have "brand branding".

3 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

This doesn't make sense at all. Fiverr knows and acknowledges that they have teams working on the platform. How can "visual studios" go by a personal name if there's more than one person working here? I usually tell my name to buyers, because I'll be the one talking (just like now, it's just me personally writing on forum, not the whole team), but the profile itself is for a team, so it can't be under a single name.

This is a major problem of mine with upwork, actually. I wanted to set up an account as Visual Studios, and it's not allowed. So I'm not gonna work there, as I won't go by my name, it doesn't make sense in my case. I don't like the whole "personal branding" trend, I'd much rather have "brand branding".

I agree, to a certain extent. If you're just one guy it makes sense to use your name. If you're a company, it doesn't. 

Personal branding is for persons. Not companies with multiple employees. 

I've been testing out asking my clients for their first name lately. Most clients will be happy to tell, and it makes things more personal. I always introduce myself with my first name. 

3 minutes ago, smashradio said:

've been testing out asking my clients for their first name lately. Most clients will be happy to tell, and it makes things more personal. I always introduce myself with my first name. 

Yes, me too! I was arguing against your profile name having to be your real name, not against generally giving it out in private conversation.

9 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

Yes, me too! I was arguing against your profile name having to be your real name, not against generally giving it out in private conversation.

I don't think the OPs suggestion was to have the real name in our username. As far as I understood it, it would be more of "bio" thing. But I might be mistaken. 

Archived