First Time Blocked by a Seller

nikiyluna

I created a PowerPoint detailing a 60 second edit for a video to make things easy and clear for the seller , as I know video editing can be hard when the buyer doesn’t have direction. Most sellers say to message them before placing the order for the video , so I did. One seller offered to do a free sample , but I wasn’t looking for free , I am willing to pay. And when she later asked my budget , I quoted her the price on her page and asked for reassurance if my project was as described for that price and then I was blocked.

I’m confused and my experience from fiverr has been difficult with sellers and I now ask if the task is something that the seller can do before purchase to avoid having to cancel orders.I have tried to find other sellers for this project. Just thought I would share this interesting experience.

I created a PowerPoint detailing a 60 second edit for a video to make things easy and clear for the seller , as I know video editing can be hard when the buyer doesn’t have direction. Most sellers say to message them before placing the order for the video , so I did. One seller offered to do a free sample , but I wasn’t looking for free , I am willing to pay. And when she later asked my budget , I quoted her the price on her page and asked for reassurance if my project was as described for that price and then I was blocked.

I’m confused and my experience from fiverr has been difficult with sellers and I now ask if the task is something that the seller can do before purchase to avoid having to cancel orders.I have tried to find other sellers for this project. Just thought I would share this interesting experience.

I quoted her the price on her page and asked for reassurance if my project was as described for that price and then I was blocked.

Then you want to stay away from sellers like that.

It’s an international platform and for some cultures it is normal to ask what’s your budget or just quote you with price 5 times higher than stated on their gig.

I advocate for transparent pricing and wouldn’t recommend working with anyone who’s even asking you “what’s your budget”

I’m just saying, some sellers may sometimes get easily offended when you offer a surreal very low price for the task and effort. I see sometimes $5 buyer requests for which it would take hours and skills.

It doesn’t seem to be the case here though…

Beware also custom works are usually way more expensive than the automated gig they may have on their page. Your video looks like very custom, and may not fit well in the template the seller has for his gigs.

Maybe they thought it what was being asked was more complex/would be in one of their higher priced packages. Maybe their gig is to edit it in the way they think or there was some issue with your requirements. Maybe they were suspicious of the ppt file in case it contained a virus or something.

haha, I got a “@uk1000 First Time Blocked by a Seller” notification for my previous message 🙂

peace and love man. It’s just so funny I had no idea such a decent message would hardly offend anyone. And I think I also Liked one of your messages not long ago 😉

PS: (I’ll leave this here, it’s funny) I’m an idiot and mea culpa! It was a LIKE, but this is the post’s title!!! 😃

(sorry @uk1000, and I am happy you did not get offended, it was an honest mistake 🙂 )

I quoted her the price on her page and asked for reassurance if my project was as described for that price and then I was blocked.

It’s an international platform and for some cultures it is normal to ask what’s your budget or just quote you with price 5 times higher than stated on their gig.

I advocate for transparent pricing and wouldn’t recommend working with anyone who’s even asking you “what’s your budget”

Well, you ain’t working with me, then. For simple tasks that may work, but when we’re talking about extremely subjective stuff, I need to know your budget. I can make you a video for $500… or $5000… or $50000… and what I can get done depends on how much you can spend. I need to ask budgets because at least half the buyers are totally delusional. I ask the budget so I’m able to tell what’s the best I can do at that price point. There are no fixed limits.

(btw, for 50k I’ll fly anywhere in the world and shoot on location. I’ll also high-five you).

People (sellers and also buyers) are weird creatures 🙂

Seriously, though, some sellers seem to overreact a bit with the block feature.
I don’t think it’s meant for cases like yours (we don’t have the exact conversation to go by, of course, but you sound “civil” ;)) but I’d take it as good luck and a sign to move on and find a seller who can deal with your questions in a different way than blocking.
It’s worth the extra effort to find sellers you’re all-around happy with, especially if you’d like to work with a seller long-term, which then will make up for the time lost finding them.

wouldn’t recommend working with anyone who’s even asking you “what’s your budget”

Sure, if we are talking about docx to pdf conversion, that sounds silly.

But when we are discussing a project with a prospect, a video animation for example, me knowing what the budget is saves both parties valuable time:

A) I immediately know what I can offer at the proposed budget, we skip right ahead to actual viable solutions vs discussing in detail about what the solution may be

B) Any prospect that comes to me with a complex project that doesn’t state a budget is not serious enough for me, so I respond politely that we can’t proceed any further. When someone has the intent to purchase, a purchase order has been established, a budget has been created or carved out by the respective department.

Asking for a budget is not and should not be offensive to any client.

That being said, stating in your gig you do X for Y and then asking for a budget when a client comes with X is definitely fishy.

wouldn’t recommend working with anyone who’s even asking you “what’s your budget”

Sure, if we are talking about docx to pdf conversion, that sounds silly.

But when we are discussing a project with a prospect, a video animation for example, me knowing what the budget is saves both parties valuable time:

A) I immediately know what I can offer at the proposed budget, we skip right ahead to actual viable solutions vs discussing in detail about what the solution may be

B) Any prospect that comes to me with a complex project that doesn’t state a budget is not serious enough for me, so I respond politely that we can’t proceed any further. When someone has the intent to purchase, a purchase order has been established, a budget has been created or carved out by the respective department.

Asking for a budget is not and should not be offensive to any client.

That being said, stating in your gig you do X for Y and then asking for a budget when a client comes with X is definitely fishy.

This guy gets it. The problem with Fiverr is that it works in two completely different ways depending on the services. You have the one click shop for simple stuff, but that doesn’t work at all for complex projects.

Well, you ain’t working with me, then. For simple tasks that may work, but when we’re talking about extremely subjective stuff, I need to know your budget. I can make you a video for $500… or $5000… or $50000… and what I can get done depends on how much you can spend. I need to ask budgets because at least half the buyers are totally delusional. I ask the budget so I’m able to tell what’s the best I can do at that price point. There are no fixed limits.

(btw, for 50k I’ll fly anywhere in the world and shoot on location. I’ll also high-five you).

For simple tasks that may work,

I believe she was referring to simple tasks. Well, simple enough that the prospect tells you what they need, you tell them how much it will cost them, and they can accept or go to someone else.

There’s a problem with some sellers who state that they will do X, Y and Z for, say, $15, and when a prospect contacts them, they ask what’s their budget, and then demand $150 even though the prospect was, indeed, looking just for X, Y and Z, just because their budget is $150. We’ve seen many buyers complain about that.

For simple tasks that may work,

I believe she was referring to simple tasks. Well, simple enough that the prospect tells you what they need, you tell them how much it will cost them, and they can accept or go to someone else.

There’s a problem with some sellers who state that they will do X, Y and Z for, say, $15, and when a prospect contacts them, they ask what’s their budget, and then demand $150 even though the prospect was, indeed, looking just for X, Y and Z, just because their budget is $150. We’ve seen many buyers complain about that.

I mean, if the buyer wants exactly what’s described in the gig for $5 or $10 or whatever, they can always order directly. Or they can say their budget is $5 or $10 when asked and mention the gig tier that fits with what they want.

I mean, if the buyer wants exactly what’s described in the gig for $5 or $10 or whatever, they can always order directly. Or they can say their budget is $5 or $10 when asked and mention the gig tier that fits with what they want.

I mean, if the buyer wants exactly what’s described in the gig for $5 or $10 or whatever, they can always order directly.

Yes, they can. However, some sellers demand to be contacted first, and some buyers aren’t certain whether that specific seller can do that specific task, and prefer to ask first.

Or they can say their budget is $5 or $10 when asked and mention the gig tier that fits with what they want.

They can, but they wonder why the seller is even asking them for their budget instead of simply stating their price.

Archived