The HOW? Feels unresolved

There is no formula but there must be a guideline, that could help.

See, my question is, what Ive seen is most sellers have very similar rates and gigs and their reviews. How do people start, differentiating between a new seller who hasnt sold and other similar sellers who have and that too at same prices.

Its just very frustrating, I am not getting how things will workout. It doesnt seem possible.

How do people start, differentiating between a new seller who hasnt sold and other similar sellers who have and that too at same prices.

I’m on a high street, hungry, and I fancy a burger. In front of me are two restaurants.

On the left is McDonalds. Everyone knows McDonalds. I’ve eaten there more times than I’d care to admit. It’s tried, tested, and loved by millions.

On the right is a brand new burger place, only opened two days ago. I’ve never been, and I can’t find any reviews on Google/TripAdvisor etc. They offer similar food, at pretty much the same price as McDonalds.

I’m going to eat at McDonalds right?

But when I check the menu of the new place, they’re offering varieties of burgers that McDonalds don’t, things I’ve not thought of before. And when I walk in, they’ve got someone stood by the door, asking me if I’ve had a good day and pointing out an available table to me. They offer to take my order at the table and bring the food over, even though that’s not the kind of thing you get in cheap burger joints, but they’re trying to do something different. They’re super friendly, without being fake, and even check in to see if everything is OK once the food’s been brought over…

I’m simplifying, but do you get my point?

There’s no great mystery to sales. You’re identifying a need or a want, and then convincing people why they should buy from YOU, over and above everyone else. Yes, when you’re McDonalds, you have a name to fall back on, but at one point, McDonalds had never served a single customer. What can YOU do or offer, to make YOU stand out from the rest of the crowd?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, my question is, what Ive seen is most sellers have very similar rates and gigs and their reviews. How do people start, differentiating between a new seller who hasnt sold and other similar sellers who have and that too at same prices.

Its just very frustrating, I am not getting how things will workout. It doesnt seem possible.

How do people start, differentiating between a new seller who hasnt sold and other similar sellers who have and that too at same prices.

Some people have a real talent, and it comes through very obviously as being something valuable and worth spending money on. These are sellers like lenasemenkova with a talent everyone can see, and lots of people want to hire her due to this.

It’s not easy if you can’t do anything people want to buy.

You are still not getting my question, look I haven’t got a single buy. Where will the first buy ever come from? And why will that first buyer want to be my first buyer when he knows there hasnt been a single sell?

I will obviously try to improve and add more other kinds of gigs related to, writing but for now thats my first question.

You are still not getting my question, look I haven’t got a single buy. Where will the first buy ever come from? And why will that first buyer want to be my first buyer when he knows there hasnt been a single sell?

You are not going to get any orders. Your writing simply isn’t very good. Sorry, but being proficient in English is not the same as being a proficient writer. The only person who might hire you to write their CV is going to be someone who themselves isn’t very good at writing. You have a very clumsy sentence structure and need a lot more writing practice.

Sadly. you seem to be pursuing an idea that if only you could be more visible, you will get orders. You won’t. You are not going to get orders because this:

I skillfully craft data you provide me for your resume, ( or an old resume) into impactful sentences and attention grabbing style, that illustrate exactly how you want your employer or respective companies to picture you.

Simply isn’t that good and is certainly not good enough for a professional resume.

Sorry to be brutal. but you need to improve your writing before you even start thinking about how to sell it.

Once again, it all boils down to your skills and ability to convince prospective buyers that you are better than the other sellers out there. This may not be what you want to hear, but it is all about the skills you possess and the way you project yourself (through your profile/gigs) to prospective buyers. To get your first order, you need to be able to convince your buyers that you have the skills and the ability to do an exceptional job.

If you are an expert at what you do, you will have a much smaller number of competing sellers to worry about. You will not have to worry about the other established sellers out there who are offering the same gig as you so long as you are able to convince prospective buyers and make them purchase your gigs. You need to figure out a way to do that (convince/impress prospective buyers).

you have no idea how people who lived under colonialism of British are now and were back then, we are equally familiar with your social,cultural conventions as you would be. Because we literally live in two places, we use all the elements normally spoken of use in. I can remember reading and watching BBC, when I was barely 4. So when it comes to English and that too, for countries like Pakistan who lived under British Raj, there is no native and non native thing. We have absorbed the British Culture, like no other country could because of how it has impacted us and lived inside of us.

While we may have no idea how people who were under the British rule are doing now, what you don’t seem to understand, however, is that your buyers don’t give a darn about that either. They are not interested in whether you have crumpets for high tea or have marmite coursing through your veins. They are only interested in whether you are the right person for their project and whether or not the job would be done to perfection.

I can remember reading and watching BBC, when I was barely 4.

Once again, this doesn’t prove anything. Just because someone has watched BBC their entire life, it doesn’t necessarily mean they have an excellent command of the English language (which is what your buyers are interested in).

we write better than many writers out there in the world

I am sure there are some exceptional non-native English writers out there. You, however, are not one of them. How can you claim to be better than “many writers in the world” if you use sentences such as:

I guess you are very very wrong, in your perception of being a native, an extremely wrong perception because here as we deal it being a second language its more emersed into us, we write better than many writers out there in the world because we learn it more than our own language( which isnt neccesarily the best thing) but we do.

I can count at least 10 mistakes in that sentence. Besides, the phrase “emersed into us” makes zero sense.

Also, someone who claims to be better than native English writers wouldn’t write a non-sensical sentence such as this:

And I know for sure, that I often am distinguished as a better writer amongst natives because here English is taught more vigorously.

The word is “rigorously,” not “vigorously.” :roll_eyes:

If you are going to try and argue/defend yourself by saying it was merely a typo, then, I am sorry, but that’s not a good excuse. Buyers are going to be equally annoyed if the delivered work has typos in them.

However, as a famous rapper once said, “In the end, it doesn’t even matter,” because:

you are very very wrong,

We are very very very wrong. We have absolutely no idea what we’re talking about. Your English is better than that of most native English speakers.

“There is no native and non native thing.”

You do you. Carry on! 🙂

My question has been partly answered still needs some more clues to it.

Anyways I am not convincing anyone, all I am trying to convey is your perception is pretty wrong, you have no idea how people who lived under colonialism of British are now and were back then, we are equally familiar with your social,cultural conventions as you would be. Because we literally live in two places, we use all the elements normally spoken of use in. I can remember reading and watching BBC, when I was barely 4. So when it comes to English and that too, for countries like Pakistan who lived under British Raj, there is no native and non native thing. We have absorbed the British Culture, like no other country could because of how it has impacted us and lived inside of us. I wish you could understand, this.

you have no idea how people who lived under colonialism of British are now and were back then, we are equally familiar with your social,cultural conventions as you would be. Because we literally live in two places, we use all the elements normally spoken of use in. I can remember reading and watching BBC, when I was barely 4. So when it comes to English and that too, for countries like Pakistan who lived under British Raj, there is no native and non native thing. We have absorbed the British Culture, like no other country could because of how it has impacted us and lived inside of us. I wish you could understand, this.

Well you are wrong. Pakistan was the part of India and On June 15, 1947, the British House of Commons passed the Indian Independence Act, or Mountbatten Plan, which divided India into two dominions, India and Pakistan. It called for each dominion to be granted its independence by Aug. 15 of that year. So India and Pakistan both lived under British Raj.

Second thing, It’s on your country that it is not developing,take an example of India. India is a developing country, why Pakistan cannot develop itself? Because of your own government. Why you always blame others for your success and failures? Are you that lazy to do something in your life?

Telling someone that Britishers do this and that and because of this we are like this is never a good thing. You had same time as India, but you focused on other things, so that is how you are standing like this.

Yes, not every country is well developed, I understand, but you are doing exactly what others did till now, pointing fingers at others.

You want to hear what you like, that’s not how the world works afaik.

You are just here for only 1 month. It takes more time than 1 month to start things as per your likeability. I am sure, you can do it, but with that behavior and mindset, I am not sure.

This is a digital world. There is no one answer to anything. No one can guide you according to your requirements. You have to do everything by itself. Learn, adapt, try, fail, everything.

I know 4 of my good friends, who are earning $5k+ every month, and do you know where they are from? Pakistan.

If you still think, the people and the world will adapt according to you, then, unfortunately, you cannot succeed. Learn this hard way or understand what all of the users are saying to you.

Once again, it all boils down to your skills and ability to convince prospective buyers that you are better than the other sellers out there. This may not be what you want to hear, but it is all about the skills you possess and the way you project yourself (through your profile/gigs) to prospective buyers. To get your first order, you need to be able to convince your buyers that you have the skills and the ability to do an exceptional job.

If you are an expert at what you do, you will have a much smaller number of competing sellers to worry about. You will not have to worry about the other established sellers out there who are offering the same gig as you so long as you are able to convince prospective buyers and make them purchase your gigs. You need to figure out a way to do that (convince/impress prospective buyers).

you have no idea how people who lived under colonialism of British are now and were back then, we are equally familiar with your social,cultural conventions as you would be. Because we literally live in two places, we use all the elements normally spoken of use in. I can remember reading and watching BBC, when I was barely 4. So when it comes to English and that too, for countries like Pakistan who lived under British Raj, there is no native and non native thing. We have absorbed the British Culture, like no other country could because of how it has impacted us and lived inside of us.

While we may have no idea how people who were under the British rule are doing now, what you don’t seem to understand, however, is that your buyers don’t give a darn about that either. They are not interested in whether you have crumpets for high tea or have marmite coursing through your veins. They are only interested in whether you are the right person for their project and whether or not the job would be done to perfection.

Once again, this doesn’t prove anything. Just because someone has watched BBC their entire life, it doesn’t necessarily mean they have an excellent command of the English language (which is what your buyers are interested in).

I am sure there are some exceptional non-native English writers out there. You, however, are not one of them. How can you claim to be better than “many writers in the world” if you use sentences such as:

I guess you are very very wrong, in your perception of being a native, an extremely wrong perception because here as we deal it being a second language its more emersed into us, we write better than many writers out there in the world because we learn it more than our own language( which isnt neccesarily the best thing) but we do.

I can count at least 10 mistakes in that sentence. Besides, the phrase “emersed into us” makes zero sense.

Also, someone who claims to be better than native English writers wouldn’t write a non-sensical sentence such as this:

And I know for sure, that I often am distinguished as a better writer amongst natives because here English is taught more vigorously.

If you are going to try and argue/defend yourself by saying it was merely a typo, then, I am sorry, but that’s not a good excuse. Buyers are going to be equally annoyed if the delivered work has typos in them.

However, as a famous rapper once said, “In the end, it doesn’t even matter,” because:

you are very very wrong,

We are very very very wrong. We have absolutely no idea what we’re talking about. Your English is better than that of most native English speakers.

You do you. Carry on! 🙂

They are not interested in whether you have crumpets for high tea or have marmite coursing through your veins.

All these lazy English stereotypes… (I’d literally just finished eating a crumpet thin as I read this…)

Marmite on the other hand 🤢

you are very very wrong,

You do you. Carry on! 🙂

Maybe at her school kids conjugated English verbs whilst doing press-ups. 😉

How do I do it? could you demonstrate it or give me a hint.

You’ve been given lots of advice to process, so I’ll keep this short.

Your style is clumsy. Your writing is hard to read. And that’s a real problem, because people don’t spend much time reading online texts and resumes even when they’re well-written.

Some people have a real talent, and it comes through very obviously as being something valuable and worth spending money on. These are sellers like lenasemenkova with a talent everyone can see, and lots of people want to hire her due to this.

It’s not easy if you can’t do anything people want to buy.

You’re too kind. I’m not good at taking positive feedback of any kind but don’t think it goes unnoticed. 🙂

I have nothing to contribute to the topic anymore, especially after feedback from the writers has rolled in.

It’s going to be one of those posts where everyone offers some polite criticism and cautious suggestions of perhaps trying a different approach only to get “no, you are all wrong” and “this is not what I want to hear” in return, isn’t it?

Im really sorry, If I sound like that. I actually wrote it all out in hurry.

There were 3 different points I was trying to make.

1. I know all this information( stuff) , I want to be answered with this very question. That has been sort of answered. ( I sounded like I dont want to hear this, but I didnt actually mean that)
  2. I shouldnot have used the word( very very wrong) what I meant was, that the perception is wrong around non native speakers not being equally good as native ones because we living in colonial era experience the same sort of understanding as natives.
  3. Thirdly, I just couldnt bring my question to words, so maybe it felt more like I was repeatedly saying the same thing

Thankyou so much. I guess my grammar just messed up what I wanted to say.

All of this bewilderment about how to get a sale makes me think that this is brand new to people, the idea of selling something. It helps if you aren’t new to selling. It’s not hard to do. Make a gig about something you actually are really good at. Then be patient.

It mostly depends by the cultural background , that is a soup made of a whole of references, social conventions, catchphrases, tropes, elements taken from TV shows, books, adverts, newspaper articles and behaviours that no one learned at school because they have just been absorbed along the years.

Bingo. I think people from non Western countries are at a disadvantage if they want to be writers in English. For example they might not get why I said “bingo”.

I just dont get, how will I have the first sell?

Freelancing isn’t for everyone. If you need to repeatedly ask this over and over, as if someone should only tell you the answer but is withholding this information from you deliberately, thereby blocking any chance you have for a sale, then you may not be suited for this.

Other than all my mistakes and some questions that felt repetitive, what I was trying to convey earlier is for us, ( those under British Colonial Era) the tv shows, the adverts , the books and so on everything is equally familiar. Because in countries, like ours English is more important than, our own mother tongue( which is obviously not a good thing) but this is how it is.

Most people use slangs like Bingo all stuff such as that.

Also I admit, and I agree to a buyer this information isnt available for them a native speaker will always be of more preference. So within, the boundaries of the topic I just discussed this perception that is embedded into English Speakers.

I’m on a high street, hungry, and I fancy a burger. In front of me are two restaurants.

On the left is McDonalds. Everyone knows McDonalds. I’ve eaten there more times than I’d care to admit. It’s tried, tested, and loved by millions.

On the right is a brand new burger place, only opened two days ago. I’ve never been, and I can’t find any reviews on Google/TripAdvisor etc. They offer similar food, at pretty much the same price as McDonalds.

I’m going to eat at McDonalds right?

But when I check the menu of the new place, they’re offering varieties of burgers that McDonalds don’t, things I’ve not thought of before. And when I walk in, they’ve got someone stood by the door, asking me if I’ve had a good day and pointing out an available table to me. They offer to take my order at the table and bring the food over, even though that’s not the kind of thing you get in cheap burger joints, but they’re trying to do something different. They’re super friendly, without being fake, and even check in to see if everything is OK once the food’s been brought over…

I’m simplifying, but do you get my point?

There’s no great mystery to sales. You’re identifying a need or a want, and then convincing people why they should buy from YOU, over and above everyone else. Yes, when you’re McDonalds, you have a name to fall back on, but at one point, McDonalds had never served a single customer. What can YOU do or offer, to make YOU stand out from the rest of the crowd?

Thankyou so much I totally get your point. I need to find my own way and maybe when I do I could help other people out.

Other than all my mistakes and some questions that felt repetitive, what I was trying to convey earlier is for us, ( those under British Colonial Era) the tv shows, the adverts , the books and so on everything is equally familiar. Because in countries, like ours English is more important than, our own mother tongue( which is obviously not a good thing) but this is how it is.

Also I admit, and I agree to a buyer this information isnt available for them a native speaker will always be of more preference. So within, the boundaries of the topic I just discussed this perception that is embedded into English Speakers.

Your English is very good but I wouldn’t think you were Western. I can tell you are not American nor from the UK.

There is no such word as “slangs.”

So within, the boundaries of the topic I just discussed this perception that is embedded into English Speakers.

And you succeeded masterfully in demonstrating why this perception is so embedded.

On that note, though, I have a question. Why do so many people from countries which use English as a second language (not a first) come to Fiverr trying to cater for what is effectively the UK/US/Commonwealth writing market?

I see German, French. Spanish sellers etc, come to Fiverr and offer to translate texts from one language to the other. Others offer to curate content in German, French, Spanish, etc. Why in this case, do you not consider offering to translate Urdu to English or vice versa, or offer to curate content in Urdu?

There is no awareness of the mistakes when writing English. In trying to appeal to the Western market of native English speakers, one is not aware that it is obvious to others that you are not writing correctly.
A resume written to hand to a prospective employer that had some of the errors your writing has would be embarrassing. It’s apparent from the way the gig description is written.

I am giving you some detailed feedback as you seem to not hear what others have said to you about your gig. The following are why people would not hire you even if they did find your gig.

image.png.113abb0d9f4235006bd2dcb5b26434ef.png

This is your gig description.
To me, the lack of attention to detail in this would put me off having you do my CV - I want someone who is not going to mess up the finer points and details of my CV.
I wouldn’t want my CV to have a randomly added space inside the brackets ( or an old resume) or another one at the start of a bullet list. The part in bold like that looks poor too. It would also look unprofessional to finish with a bullet point list like that. Your bullet list also has and in the penultimate bullet which is not usually done.
The lack of detail also reflects badly. You have 1200 characters of space to use and you use less than half of it. I get that on the forum you might be more casual about your writing but there is no excuse for the errors in your gig.

image.png.5af6b23f6decd6fae10a61a243f518a3.png
These are the package details of your gig.
Once again there are errors that just shouldn’t happen for a professional.
A space before the comma and just a poorly written sentence.

Your gig description doesn’t give any detail about all those included in the gig. Do you really create a custom design for the client or is it a template? If it’s truly custom then explain that. You write a cover letter too? More detail about that please. What qualifies you to critique a CV? You haven’t explained that at all.

Now, I am a pretty easygoing buyer but there is simply no chance I would hire someone who put so little effort into their gig. I’ve said it before - if someone has spent less than two hours writing the text of their writing gig description then they have not spent enough time. Your looks like it would have taken 5-10 minutes and you wrote directly as you thought it.
The fact is, I (and others) have spent more time writing this response to you than you spent creating your gig. Think about that for a moment and decide whether or not you have put enough effort in.

They are not interested in whether you have crumpets for high tea or have marmite coursing through your veins.

All these lazy English stereotypes… (I’d literally just finished eating a crumpet thin as I read this…)

Marmite on the other hand 🤢

Marmite on the other hand

What you need is vegemite!!! 😋 (sorry for the hijack)

Look, this is how you sound:

please dont tell me the other stuff about making it interesting and althose techniques

You are still not getting my question

I guess you are very very wrong, in your perception of being a native, an extremely wrong perception

noone is just answering my question.

all I am trying to convey is your perception is pretty wrong

To me, it seems that you already have the answers to all of your questions.

I am sorry, you might be right. Thats not what i wanted to make others perceive, but I sounded like that. Actually, its that wrote it all up in hurry, and I didnt call anyone wrong about their suggestions , it was merely about perception but obviously people judge pretty quick. I’ll clarify, I meant " wrong" about the " perception" not about the general preference.

you are very very wrong,

You do you. Carry on! 🙂

Once again, I agree to most of what you have said. But i need to clarify, everyone is being pretty rude and pretty quick to judge me. I didnot call anyone wrong for their understanding or suggestion, I just didnot used the proper word or maybe my sentence structure was flawed and it all seemed the other way round. I used the word " wrong" , on the perception about people who arent from english speaking countries, I was trying to explain : that English has overtaken everything here, urdu is hardly read to children, we are all into it so we fully understand the culture and the cultural&social norms.

And i agree, that buyers dont care about whether, I am from colonial era or not they dont see this but my point was,to clarify this perception.

I am not claiming to be better than most people, I think it was more of an example as to clarify the misconception. I am definitely not better than most.

And being a writer and being a native speaker both dont neccesarrily match, so my point of view might have looked flawed. Someone could be a native but still not be able to write.

I am not claiming anything, it was maybe an example. And my English isn’t better than yours or anyone, i just messed up and you got the wrong idea.

But thank you, for insulting me and really sorry that I couldnt explain myself properly. Maybe next time, you could deal with more patience.

There is no such word as “slangs.”

So within, the boundaries of the topic I just discussed this perception that is embedded into English Speakers.

And you succeeded masterfully in demonstrating why this perception is so embedded.

On that note, though, I have a question. Why do so many people from countries which use English as a second language (not a first) come to Fiverr trying to cater for what is effectively the UK/US/Commonwealth writing market?

I see German, French. Spanish sellers etc, come to Fiverr and offer to translate texts from one language to the other. Others offer to curate content in German, French, Spanish, etc. Why in this case, do you not consider offering to translate Urdu to English or vice versa, or offer to curate content in Urdu?

I understand your point of view, but I dont think you need to be so rude.

There are 2 different things, I was trying to say.

1. My question was different, and 2. I was discussing the perception around speakers who are not native (please try to understand me. )

Secondly, we have been under British even after independence, all our books except urdu is in english, we are encouraged to only watch English movies,shows cartoons. I dont remember watching, urdu shows or urdu books. There is little or no market for writing in urdu. We have been even writing our personal diaries in urdu. And when i talked about watching BBC, it certainly didnot relate to my writing skills, it just was about the perception that centres around us.( this doesnot talk about my writing skills or anyone else’s)

Fiverr, is an online international platform, you cant just tell anyone to get out of here.And do something of their own.

I am giving you some detailed feedback as you seem to not hear what others have said to you about your gig. The following are why people would not hire you even if they did find your gig.

This is your gig description.

To me, the lack of attention to detail in this would put me off having you do my CV - I want someone who is not going to mess up the finer points and details of my CV.

I wouldn’t want my CV to have a randomly added space inside the brackets ( or an old resume) or another one at the start of a bullet list. The part in bold like that looks poor too. It would also look unprofessional to finish with a bullet point list like that. Your bullet list also has and in the penultimate bullet which is not usually done.

The lack of detail also reflects badly. You have 1200 characters of space to use and you use less than half of it. I get that on the forum you might be more casual about your writing but there is no excuse for the errors in your gig.

These are the package details of your gig.

Once again there are errors that just shouldn’t happen for a professional.

A space before the comma and just a poorly written sentence.

Your gig description doesn’t give any detail about all those included in the gig. Do you really create a custom design for the client or is it a template? If it’s truly custom then explain that. You write a cover letter too? More detail about that please. What qualifies you to critique a CV? You haven’t explained that at all.

Now, I am a pretty easygoing buyer but there is simply no chance I would hire someone who put so little effort into their gig. I’ve said it before - if someone has spent less than two hours writing the text of their writing gig description then they have not spent enough time. Your looks like it would have taken 5-10 minutes and you wrote directly as you thought it.

The fact is, I (and others) have spent more time writing this response to you than you spent creating your gig. Think about that for a moment and decide whether or not you have put enough effort in.

Thankyou so much, I think now I have enough information to keep me from going on and improving my skills.

To clarify, it again: I didnot ignore what other people just said, I was writing it all out in hurry and mixed my question with another argument.

Your points are pretty valid and I guess I do need to improve. Thanks for not being rude.and explaining it to me.

Maybe at her school kids conjugated English verbs whilst doing press-ups. 😉

How do I do it? could you demonstrate it or give me a hint.

You’ve been given lots of advice to process, so I’ll keep this short.

Your style is clumsy. Your writing is hard to read. And that’s a real problem, because people don’t spend much time reading online texts and resumes even when they’re well-written.

how is vigorously wrong here, I checked its meaning felt right then. But I would like to know about the difference here? so i can figure out the mistake.

Archived