Forensic Science of Fiverr Verifying your :ID: :woman_scientist:t4: POLL included :man_scientist:

nikavoice

poll  

280 members have voted

1. 1. poll

• Yes, I’ll happily comply. /images/emoji/twitter/sunglasses.png?v=5
    • Nope, I’ll leave the site. /images/emoji/twitter/roll_eyes.png?v=5
    • Meh, on da fence. /images/emoji/twitter/grimacing.png?v=5

Better a little help than nothing.

But a little help vs. having all sellers have to give their ID to be stored by a company.

In this case it doesn’t seem like it is worth it.

But a little help vs. having all sellers have to give their ID to be stored by a company.

In any legal (inside the law) regular job you MUST give your ID.

Freelancing doesn’t mean anonymity, it means work without employment relationship.

I believe there are more law issues behind this than a real use to fiverr company

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Freelancing doesn’t mean anonymity, it means work without employment relationship.

I believe there are more law issues behind this than a real use to fiverr company

Fiverr can have all my contact details, address, kids names, a video of me talking to my dogs when nobody is around etc if they are going to actually act like an employer but of course I will then be entitled to

• Health care
  • Sick pay
  • Pension

and whatever else is standard these days. Other than that, trying to be “a bit like an employer” without any of the actual benefits of employment being given is not a good or valid reason.

If that were the reason then surely Fiverr could say “Sorry guys, we have no choice about this - it’s the law, not our fault” and then someone could start the topic I hate my government or whatever.

Guest offlinehelpers

We have a number of laws, official bodies etc. to protect personal data in the UK, for example the Information Commisssioner etc. who can fine businesses for not looking after user data correctly, or indeed misusing it. I’d be happy if I were to have to hand over any data knowing I was covered by the rules pertaining to my country.

That’s not going to be the case though, is it?

Would you mind elaborating?

I mean cleaning because there are so many fake sellers (sellers with multiple accounts and fake names). Probably these won’t be able to provide a valid ID and probably would get restricted.

I believe they (fiverr) don’t have use for this except for control.

Many other sites which have money exchange involved ask the same, like CFD brokers. It’s only new here at fiverr.

I really believe it’s positive and may get rid of many fake sellers, or sellers that got their account deleted, for violating ToS, to get back again at the marketplace.

I mean cleaning because there are so many fake sellers (sellers with multiple accounts and fake names). Probably these won’t be able to provide a valid ID and probably would get restricted.

But the same should apply to Buyers. Yanno the ones using CB/make new accounts to do it all over again to defraud honest Sellers out of their hard earned money. How is Fiverr just using this tactic against Sellers helpful? In fact it pisses me off even more.

Fiverr can have all my contact details, address, kids names, a video of me talking to my dogs when nobody is around etc if they are going to actually act like an employer but of course I will then be entitled to

• Health care
  • Sick pay
  • Pension

and whatever else is standard these days. Other than that, trying to be “a bit like an employer” without any of the actual benefits of employment being given is not a good or valid reason.

If that were the reason then surely Fiverr could say “Sorry guys, we have no choice about this - it’s the law, not our fault” and then someone could start the topic I hate my government or whatever.

If that were the reason then surely Fiverr could say “Sorry guys, we have no choice about this - it’s the law, not our fault”.

or just don’t, like they never explain many changes they do at marketplace for example.

To me, I believe it’s much more worrisome someone linking their Facebook and Google, and etc accounts, which have much more information about you, than your ID.

• Health care
  • Sick pay
  • Pension

This is my sentiments exactly, I’m starting to feel like Fiverr is morphing into the role of becoming my faux Employer. Fiverr is not paying for my healthcare or sick pay etc.

Asking for these credentials just doesn’t make any sense. The reason(s) is vague to boot!

It’s confusing to say the least as only sellers are being asked for this information and not buyers. It’s frustrating that this information wasn’t publicly announced as most had to discover this intel by way of forum posts. It’s batty as heck that they don’t/can’t/won’t provide additional info on the out comes relating to users if something isn’t done in compliance to the changes.

One of the draws for coming to this platform was that there wasn’t a need for such information for signing up, there were no restrictions in terms of how many areas of specialty you could utilize, not irrelevant skills test and certainly no bid wars for getting jobs. One of the biggest fears at the moment is the uncertainty of them doing what they say and protecting our info and taking the route FB did by changing our inputted information without our permission.

Just clear explanations for why they need such information isn’t asking too much.

But the same should apply to Buyers. Yanno the ones using CB/make new accounts to do it all over again to defraud honest Sellers out of their hard earned money. How is Fiverr just using this tactic against Sellers helpful? In fact it pisses me off even more.

Like I said, This is what I believe helping in the seller side.

But I don’t know if they will ask buyers ID for this. If they do, probably will lose many potential clients

But chill out. This is standard in many places, why here it’s something weird?

I stick with the theory of cleaning the marketplace on fake sellers. if it works, it would be awesome

Guest offlinehelpers

But I don’t know if they will ask buyers ID for this. If they do, probably will lose many potential clients

I stick with the theory of cleaning the marketplace on fake sellers. if it works, it would be awesome

Becuase it’s not, not where I’m from anyway.

Becuase it’s not, not where I’m from anyway.

Like I said, many places I worked with, which involves company sending money to user, they ask.

The EU has just implemented the biggest shake up in the history of personal data and the internet to specifically avoid people’s data being mined/used/sold without their consent etc. Every site that serves people in the EU has had to change their legal policy as a result. Fiverr is asking for the most personal of data as “verification” without giving any clear reason. It is such a contrast that it is really stands out as odd.

It’s confusing to say the least as only sellers are being asked for this information and not buyers. It’s frustrating that this information wasn’t publicly announced as most had to discover this intel by way of forum posts. It’s batty as heck that they don’t/can’t/won’t provide additional info on the out comes relating to users if something isn’t done in compliance to the changes.

One of the draws for coming to this platform was that there wasn’t a need for such information for signing up, there were no restrictions in terms of how many areas of specialty you could utilize, not irrelevant skills test and certainly no bid wars for getting jobs. One of the biggest fears at the moment is the uncertainty of them doing what they say and protecting our info and taking the route FB did by changing our inputted information without our permission.

Just clear explanations for why they need such information isn’t asking too much.

It’s confusing to say the least as only sellers are being asked for this information and not buyers. It’s frustrating that this information wasn’t publicly announced as most had to discover this intel by way of forum posts.

I’m a Buyer/Seller so yes it’s confusing as hell. 😡

One of the biggest fears at the moment is the uncertainty of them doing what they say and protecting our info and taking the route FB did by changing our inputted information without our permission.

This is how I feel too. The information given doesn’t appease me.

It’s very weird, twilight zone weird. Other websites handle their changes in a professional & concise manner to avoid mayhem & pandemic. They addressed the issues head-on for their users to understand without having to take second guesses.

• Their approach to the 🆔 is lackluster

• Why not send out a mass email to Sellers to prepare themselves?

• The FAQs to the article had what 4️⃣ Q & As? LOLz, what a joke!

I’m not buying it’s to cleanup the market.

If that were the reason then surely Fiverr could say “Sorry guys, we have no choice about this - it’s the law, not our fault”.

or just don’t, like they never explain many changes they do at marketplace for example.

To me, I believe it’s much more worrisome someone linking their Facebook and Google, and etc accounts, which have much more information about you, than your ID.

Some of us don’t use Facebook for this reason.

Anyway you are completely wrong about this cleaning up the marketplace. I used to make money sports betting using an arbitrage system which required use of several betting accounts in several different names. In less than a week after starting, I had verified betting accounts in several countries including the UK, Hungary, New Zealand and the US.

When there is money to be made, people with a few neurons to rub together always manage to circumvent whatever systems they need to. That’s why things like gun control never really work to wrestle things like guns out of the hands of gangsters and drug dealers.

Also, wasn’t St Levels supposed to clean up Fiverr?

But the same should apply to Buyers.

I TOTALLY agree… But at least, in my opinion (imo), it is good that Fiverr is thinking about trying and improving the situation (to curb the fake seller profiles) a little. That’s a start! They’ve started with the sellers… Obviously, they are not gonna start with the buyers… cuz then, the buyers might feel inconvenienced (dealing with all the hassles of providing an ID and whatnot, just so they can use Fiverr) and they might just move on… and Fiverr might end up losing a business opportunity.

So, their first “PREY” are the sellers. Of course, the sellers can move on as well… But the proportion of sellers who would be willing to do that would probably be much lesser than the proportion of buyers.

A vast majority of sellers feel constrained by Fiverr’s rules and find it hard to escape cuz they rely on Fiverr for their livelihood (at least partially). On the other hand, the buyer has more freedom and finds it much easier to go wherever s/he pleases.

If there is no other efficient way by which to curb the increasing number of fake seller profiles, then, imo, the ID verification process is a necessary bane. The fact that they haven’t implemented it on the buyers yet is a whole another story (like I tried to explain in this post). But, in the future, I hope they are able to implement it on them as well.

The EU has just implemented the biggest shake up in the history of personal data and the internet to specifically avoid people’s data being mined/used/sold without their consent etc. Every site that serves people in the EU has had to change their legal policy as a result. Fiverr is asking for the most personal of data as “verification” without giving any clear reason. It is such a contrast that it is really stands out as odd.

Exactly. I’m pretty sure nobody will be forced to give their ID, but nobody is also forced to stay in fiverr as well, right?

You must understand that fiverr involves financial transactions, and it CAN’T be anonymous, because taxes and IRS issues. The reason BITCOINS were created, but it’s prohibited in many places because money laundry and many other issues. Actually there is no country which agrees 100% with these kind of cryptos.

They (probably) CAN ask this, or it would be the worst and most amateur strategy they used till now.

I’m not saying it’s the best move, but I don’t believe fiverr would be so amateur for asking something so controversial for not apparently reason.

Other famous freelancing platforms ask for this as well.
Even Facebook ask for it if your account was hacked or something.

I totally agree with this, so these sellers who pretend to be from the US or UK with fake profile pictures will be exposed!

Anyway you are completely wrong about this cleaning up the marketplace. I used to make money sports betting using an arbitrage system which required use of several betting accounts in several different names. In less than a week after starting, I had verified betting accounts in several countries including the UK, Hungary, New Zealand and the US.

When there is money to be made, people with a few neurons to rub together always manage to circumvent whatever systems they need to. That’s why things like gun control never really work to wrestle things like guns out of the hands of gangsters and drug dealers.

I understand. But like I said, I don’t believe fiverr would be so amateur by asking something without any reason.

Of course an answer would be nice, but I don’t mind giving my ID.

I would prefer anonymity, but if it’s necessary providing ID to keep selling at fiverr, I don’t see problem with this (in my opinion).

Other famous freelancing platforms ask for this as well.

Even Facebook ask for it if your account was hacked or something.

I totally agree with this, so these sellers who pretend to be from the US or UK with fake profile pictures will be exposed!

it doesn’t apply to buyers… dooh

"To continue growing our trustworthy and reliable community, we’ll be gradually asking our sellers to verify their identity, by presenting an official ID. This is part of our efforts to improve the quality and trust of Fiverr’s marketplace. "

this is the reason, at least this is what they are saying

I understand. But like I said, I don’t believe fiverr would be so amateur by asking something without any reason.

Of course an answer would be nice, but I don’t mind giving my ID.

I would prefer anonymity, but if it’s necessary providing ID to keep selling at fiverr, I don’t see problem with this (in my opinion).

This is the point. Fiverr never gives a reason or even so much as notifies its users of changes. This is the most irresponsible way a company can act.

Right now, there are thousands of sellers who don’t have a clue about ID verification. In many countries, ID isn’t even required. This means that many legitimate sellers will immediately be caught off guard and potentially lose access to their earnings.

Meanwhile, all Mr Scammer in X has to do is say: "Cousin Peter, come quick! Fiver needs our ID now. We need 5 real ID cards and people in 7-days! Let’s get this done now so there isn’t a problem with any of our accounts."

But the same should apply to Buyers.

I TOTALLY agree… But at least, in my opinion (imo), it is good that Fiverr is thinking about trying and improving the situation (to curb the fake seller profiles) a little. That’s a start! They’ve started with the sellers… Obviously, they are not gonna start with the buyers… cuz then, the buyers might feel inconvenienced (dealing with all the hassles of providing an ID and whatnot, just so they can use Fiverr) and they might just move on… and Fiverr might end up losing a business opportunity.

So, their first “PREY” are the sellers. Of course, the sellers can move on as well… But the proportion of sellers who would be willing to do that would probably be much lesser than the proportion of buyers.

A vast majority of sellers feel constrained by Fiverr’s rules and find it hard to escape cuz they rely on Fiverr for their livelihood (at least partially). On the other hand, the buyer has more freedom and finds it much easier to go wherever s/he pleases.

If there is no other efficient way by which to curb the increasing number of fake seller profiles, then, imo, the ID verification process is a necessary bane. The fact that they haven’t implemented it on the buyers yet is a whole another story (like I tried to explain in this post). But, in the future, I hope they are able to implement it on them as well.

cuz then, the buyers might feel inconvenienced (dealing with all the hassles of providing an ID and whatnot, just so they can use Fiverr) and they might just move on… and Fiverr might end up losing a business opportunity.

That’s the thing… I’m a Buyer too. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on this platform, so yes it would be an inconvenience. However, my thing is an 🆔 clean house, like how some people are assuming.

But at least, in my opinion (imo), it is good that Fiverr is thinking about trying and improving the situation (to curb the fake seller profiles) a little. That’s a start!

Well, that’s fine & dandy but why not give Sellers a head start to prepare? The majority of Sellers do not visit this forum, I hate having to visit to get the latest deets. I’d rather open my [inbox] and hear the news directly from the horses 🐴 aka Fiverr’s mouth.

Understandable! However, there is a big chunk of us where Fiverr is 1% of our income. So, I can find other avenues to offer my services and generate income. Always have and always will! :ok_hand:t4:

Fiverr is not my Uncle Sam. We are not employees of Fiverr. But it sure as hell is starting to feel like it is tho. When I worked in CS environment for mega-huge companies. We got monthly evaluations, however, the big difference was the company paid for healthcare at 100:% , time-off, maternity leave etc.

Fiverr? not so much.

This is the point. Fiverr never gives a reason or even so much as notifies its users of changes. This is the most irresponsible way a company can act.

Right now, there are thousands of sellers who don’t have a clue about ID verification. In many countries, ID isn’t even required. This means that many legitimate sellers will immediately be caught off guard and potentially lose access to their earnings.

Meanwhile, all Mr Scammer in X has to do is say: "Cousin Peter, come quick! Fiver needs our ID now. We need 5 real ID cards and people in 7-days! Let’s get this done now so there isn’t a problem with any of our accounts."

I had to take a picture of myself holding my passport and a white paper with a unique number on it to verify my identity, and that was within certain time of receiving the code from that platform.

Do you think these scammers can/will do that? Showing your face with a fake passport/ID?

I had to take a picture of myself holding my passport and a white paper with a unique number on it to verify my identity, and that was within certain time of receiving the code from that platform.

Do you think these scammers can/will do that? Showing your face with a fake passport/ID?

This happened on Fiverr? They asked you to do this?

Well, there are sellers which already got involved in illegal services. Buyers too (one of them was the most famous youtuber in the world).

Many ask me to recreate in high resolution personal documents and IDs. I never worked something like this and explain it’s against law all around the world.

Some sellers don’t mind doing this.

There is no way to deny it could be positive at this point.

Archived