Forensic Science of Fiverr Verifying your :ID: :woman_scientist:t4: POLL included :man_scientist:

nikavoice

poll  

280 members have voted

1. 1. poll

• Yes, I’ll happily comply. /images/emoji/twitter/sunglasses.png?v=5
    • Nope, I’ll leave the site. /images/emoji/twitter/roll_eyes.png?v=5
    • Meh, on da fence. /images/emoji/twitter/grimacing.png?v=5

So did he get an email or did he get a notification on Fiverr? Can you provide either of these? How do they verify a Government ID?

No idea - I don’t have government ID I’m afraid.

Here’s the linky:

https://sellers.fiverr.com/en/article/verifying-your-identity

This literally answers nothing. WTH Fiverr.

I’m going to assume that if you don’t have a government ID you don’t have a drivers license and passport either? I honestly wonder what kind of idiot comes up with all this.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest offlinehelpers

Here’s the linky:

This literally answers nothing. WTH Fiverr.

I’m going to assume that if you don’t have a government ID you don’t have a drivers license and passport either? I honestly wonder what kind of idiot comes up with all this.

This literally answers nothing.

You’re welcome! 😉

Guest offlinehelpers

You’re welcome! 😉

Just to clearify, my annoyance above is directed towards Fiverr. I really appreicate you taking the time to look up and send the link.

No worries - I can understand your frustration - I’m feeling it equally. 🙂

So did he get an email or did he get a notification on Fiverr? Can you provide either of these? How do they verify a Government ID?

I my dealings with several cryptocurrency exchanges, one usually verifies their ID with the following:

• A clear image of the front of their ID card
  • A clear image of the back of their ID card
  • A picture of yourself holding your ID card
  • All of the above done with an app or software which loads in a web browser or needs to be downloaded

Potential problems:

• The majority of such software does not work with Linux. This means that Linux users who need to verify their identity can’t or can only do so after buying and installing Windows
  • App-based verification often has this annoying step where your head needs to be aligned exactly with an onscreen head shape when taking photos. This is impossible for single people, people without selfie-sticks, and people without smartphones
  • Many such forms of verification software are 100% automated and time sensitive. This means that if you have a problem, there is no going back until you contact customer support of the company in question.

Given all of the above coupled with the fact that some people don’t have ID, it is heinous that full details from Fiverr are not forthcoming.

If I were you, I’d get your passport in order asap. If you have never had a form of official ID previously, this might include getting a letter signed by a doctor or member of law enforcement to say who you are. Also, you should get one anyway ready for when we start traveling the world together. 😉

I my dealings with several cryptocurrency exchanges, one usually verifies their ID with the following:

• All of the above done with an app or software which loads in a web browser or needs to be downloaded

Potential problems:

• The majority of such software does not work with Linux. This means that Linux users who need to verify their identity can’t or can only do so after buying and installing Windows
  • App-based verification often has this annoying step where your head needs to be aligned exactly with an onscreen head shape when taking photos. This is impossible for single people, people without selfie-sticks, and people without smartphones
  • Many such forms of verification software are 100% automated and time sensitive. This means that if you have a problem, there is no going back until you contact customer support of the company in question.

Given all of the above coupled with the fact that some people don’t have ID, it is heinous that full details from Fiverr are not forthcoming.

If I were you, I’d get your passport in order asap. If you have never had a form of official ID previously, this might include getting a letter signed by a doctor or member of law enforcement to say who you are. Also, you should get one anyway ready for when we start traveling the world together. 😉

I don’t know about other countries, but we got a pretty simple solution for that here, Post office ID; for instance, if you want to open a bank account with a bank that accepts that you don’t turn up in person, and they don’t have an app for that or you don’t want to use it, you can present yourself with your ID to a post office person who’ll “verify” you and send their okay to the bank.

Potential problems:

I’ve reached out to Fiverr support about this and now I wait for a response.

And now watch CS decide to test their new 1984 feature on you…

I hope they don’t but good luck

Here’s the linky:

https://sellers.fiverr.com/en/article/verifying-your-identity

Why on earth am I finding about this just now? I don’t even have the slightest idea about how to submit that even if I decide to.

This is one of my gripes, finding shit out on the forum. A heads-up email notification would suffice.

I’m curious in the 🇬🇧? I’ve heard people waiting for years in some parts of the world, which is cray-cray.

Guest offlinehelpers

Why on earth am I finding about this just now? I don’t even have the slightest idea about how to submit that even if I decide to.

This is one of my gripes, finding shit out on the forum. A heads-up email notification would suffice.

I’m curious in the 🇬🇧? I’ve heard people waiting for years in some parts of the world, which is cray-cray.

how long does it take to obtain an 🆔

We don’t have ‘an ID’ as such.

Driving licence (with photo?), passport etc. I suppose would count.

Here’s a link to UK data protection laws which I’m sure Fiverr would have to take into account for all UK users?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/12/contents/enacted

how long does it take to obtain an 🆔

We don’t have ‘an ID’ as such.

Driving licence (with photo?), passport etc. I suppose would count.

Here’s a link to UK data protection laws which I’m sure Fiverr would have to take into account for all UK users?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/12/contents/enacted

Laws of that kind, among other things, might influence the roll-out order of that new “feature”.

Rights of the data subject

12.Limits on fees that may be charged by controllers

👀

I’m curious in the 🇬🇧. I’ve heard people waiting for years in some parts of the world.

Last time I got mine it was 3-4 weeks. However, that was just from the date I made my application.

If I needed a new passport now, I’ve heard it can take 10 weeks+ when outside the UK unless you opt for an emergency passport which can only be used for travel to the UK from abroad.

Other hiccups can include having a new ID issued after losing an old card. If in the UK, you have to report lost IDs to the police but not all police forces issue you an official number which the ID people need to verify that an ID card has been lost and this can see things drag on endlessly.

Of course, none of the above matter if you are planning to go on holiday or starting a new job, even if that job includes submitting to a background check. When planning a vacation, you are in control of the planning and execution timeline.

I can’t believe such matters have been overlooked.

I’m curious in the 🇬🇧. I’ve heard people waiting for years in some parts of the world.

Last time I got mine it was 3-4 weeks. However, that was just from the date I made my application.

If I needed a new passport now, I’ve heard it can take 10 weeks+ when outside the UK unless you opt for an emergency passport which can only be used for travel to the UK from abroad.

Other hiccups can include having a new ID issued after losing an old card. If in the UK, you have to report lost IDs to the police but not all police forces issue you an official number which the ID people need to verify that an ID card has been lost and this can see things drag on endlessly.

Of course, none of the above matter if you are planning to go on holiday or starting a new job, even if that job includes submitting to a background check. When planning a vacation, you are in control of the planning and execution timeline.

Well, I’m not so sure there. If whoever planned this, is a bit oblivious and from a country where it’s not even only mandatory to have an ID but even to carry it with you all the time, they might really have overlooked it, just not have really thought about it maybe being a problem for many people or even realized that some countries don’t even oblige their citizens to have an ID. Israel, for instance, anyone from age 16 needs to have and carry their ID, needing to be able to show it on demand by an authority. Germany, anyone from age 16 needs to have an ID, though does not have to carry it around necessarily, unless carrying specific weapons.

I’m pretty sure if I’d ask random people on the street, many wouldn’t believe that you don’t need to have an ID in the UK. 😁

But, of course, whoever planned this should not have overlooked it, so, maybe, Cy is still right.

Guest offlinehelpers

Well, I’m not so sure there. If whoever planned this, is a bit oblivious and from a country where it’s not even only mandatory to have an ID but even to carry it with you all the time, they might really have overlooked it, just not have really thought about it maybe being a problem for many people or even realized that some countries don’t even oblige their citizens to have an ID. Israel, for instance, anyone from age 16 needs to have and carry their ID, needing to be able to show it on demand by an authority. Germany, anyone from age 16 needs to have an ID, though does not have to carry it around necessarily, unless carrying specific weapons.

I’m pretty sure if I’d ask random people on the street, many wouldn’t believe that you don’t need to have an ID in the UK. 😁

But, of course, whoever planned this should not have overlooked it, so, maybe, Cy is still right.

many wouldn’t believe that you don’t need to have an ID in the UK.

1043052394_theprisoner.jpg.e37add036935c89b5ed0fcd9958ecda6.jpg

Yikes, sounds like a royal pain in the arse, yes pun intended. 😄

To obtain a 🇺🇸 passport.

The processing times

Routine 4-6 Weeks

Expedited 2-3 Weeks (extra money )

Expedited at Agency 8 Business Days (extra money)

For the 🇺🇸 people obtaining an :id: is the quickest and cheapest route to take. Same-day services at our local DMV! Also, another thing to think about is the people tangled up in the USCIS system for immigration.

So, if Lorna @offlinehelpers received a notice out of the clear blue skies, she’ll have (7) days to obtain one. From the answer they provided, it appears they would be willing to grant an extension or is it blowing smoke?! Hmm. However, I’m sure if Lorna wouldn’t be able to offer services until the verification is complete.

It’s just an extra expense that people cannot be bothered with, really.

Any immediate plans on returning to the 🇬🇧

Let us hope that that read through the information, it was a long read for moi. 😯

Which makes me think they are not targeting 🇺🇸 or :uk: Sellers.

Maybe you should look at becoming a Lady of the Official Principality of Sealand…

It’s official and they do have an ID card system…🙂

Guest offlinehelpers

Maybe you should look at becoming a Lady of the Official Principality of Sealand…

It’s official and they do have an ID card system…🙂

Official Principality of Sealand…

Saw that on the TV the other night - a leftover from pirate radio days! 🙂

it was a long read for moi . 😯

More than I did - well done Nika! 👏

To obtain a 🇺🇸 passport.

The processing times

Routine 4-6 Weeks

For the 🇺🇸 people obtaining an :id: is the quickest and cheapest route to take. Same-day services at our local DMV! Also, another thing to think about is the people tangled up in the USCIS system for immigration.

So, if Lorna @offlinehelpers received a notice out of the clear blue skies, she’ll have (7) days to obtain one. From the answer they provided, it appears they would be willing to grant an extension or is it blowing smoke?! Hmm. However, I’m sure if Lorna wouldn’t be able to offer services until the verification is complete.

Let us hope that that read through the information, it was a long read for moi. 😯

Nope. Cyprus in October followed by the Philippines in 2020. Then maybe New Zealand. I can’t abide the UK. However, I do toy with going back to Scotland. Then though, I remind myself what a shock paying for heating and water would be.

To obtain a 🇺🇸 passport.

The processing times

Routine 4-6 Weeks

So, if Lorna @offlinehelpers received a notice out of the clear blue skies, she’ll have (7) days to obtain one.

I didn’t see anything about (7) days in the Fiverr link though, no timeframe mentioned at all, unless I missed it, maybe they’ll adapt that time to the time it takes someone usually to obtain a form of ID wherever. Would make sense, of course.

I didn’t see anything about (7) days in the Fiverr link though, no timeframe mentioned at all, unless I missed it, maybe they’ll adapt that time to the time it takes someone usually to obtain a form of ID wherever. Would make sense, of course.

Hey, Mila! Sorry, I should’ve made myself a little more clear. My 🖥️ Anyway, the (7) days reference is the time timeframe Fiverr is giving Sellers to get their credentials up to snuff.

What is the process like in 🇩🇪 or Passport?

Hey, Mila! Sorry, I should’ve made myself a little more clear. My 🖥️ Anyway, the (7) days reference is the time timeframe Fiverr is giving Sellers to get their credentials up to snuff.

What is the process like in 🇩🇪 or Passport?

Mainly paying a big chunk of money - passport is almost €100, ID is “only” €30.

It’s valid for 10 years for people over 24, the first one you get at 16, is only valid for 6 years.

You need a valid biometric photo that follows certain regulations, your old invalid ID/passport or if you don’t have one (lost/stolen) your birth certificate.

3-6 weeks from day of application (in theory, in big cities like Berlin, depending on where you have to go, you might have to wait up to 3 months for a date to apply).

You can get a temporary one in emergencies for €10 or something. Like when your travel companion discovers that their passport expired 5 months ago shortly before boarding time. If you planned in enough time to run to the airport police.

To me, it is obvious that Fiverr doesn’t want or need our ID details to make Fiverr safer. The fact that they will be sharing our data with third parties makes this blatantly obvious.

Me supplying my ID to Fiverr will in no way prevent me from suffering a chargeback.

As for buyer safety, I really do not understand how sane human beings actually get scammed by sellers on Fiverr.

• CS now cancels orders on a whim
  • Even if CS will not cancel an order, a buyer can file a chargeback

Anyway, the biggest red flag with this rests with the fact that Fiverr has been mute on the matter. I haven’t received an email, notification, or anything else about this. If I was like @offlinehelpers but didn’t use the forum, I would not be aware that soon my account may be deactivated due to me not being able to get my hands on a government ID in time.

This subject desperately requires an official announcement and at least a forum thread focused on common FAQs.

For a start, I don’t live in the UK but am a UK citizen and my Maltese ID card has a nice note on it saying that it can’t be used for official identity purposes (with regard to travel etc).

So, which ID does Fiverr want? An ID which says who I am or an ID which says where I am?

If Fiverr is doing this for security reasons, I would assume the latter. However, what about mobile freelancers/digital nomads?

There are too many unanswered questions. Then there is the fact that a company which can’t fix glaring bugs in its own platform now wants me to believe that they have just snapped their fingers and magically created a digital Fort Knox where my iD will be kept 100% safe and secure.

No one with a brain should even think about acquiescing to this.

To me, it is obvious that Fiverr doesn’t want or need our ID details to make Fiverr safer. The fact that they will be sharing our data with third parties makes this blatantly obvious.

Cambridge Analytica 2.0 :))

I’ve told you in a previous post some time ago that this will be implemented at some point. I really hate that they only choose sellers, this makes me cringe.

I hope this fix the problem with those that have 25 accounts.

But I don’t like the idea… I’m not sure if they are GDPR Compliant.

The response I Got From Support:

"Thank you for reaching out to us. In order to continue to grow and protect our diverse community, Fiverr now requires that sellers upload either a Passport, Drivers license, or ID depending on your location. Sellers will not be allowed to continue selling on Fiverr without going through this process. If sellers do not provide the requested information when they are requested to do so, they will not be able to use Fiverr further. Users will be contacted by Fiverr through their Fiverr accounts.

While we understand your frustration, this is a necessary step forward to continue building trust in our community."

With this, we now at least know that Fiverr will contact us through our accounts. For those that don’t have their ID, passport or drivers license now would be a great time to get one or else it’s the gallows with you.

The response I Got From Support:

"Thank you for reaching out to us. In order to continue to grow and protect our diverse community, Fiverr now requires that sellers upload either a Passport, Drivers license, or ID depending on your location. Sellers will not be allowed to continue selling on Fiverr without going through this process. If sellers do not provide the requested information when they are requested to do so, they will not be able to use Fiverr further. Users will be contacted by Fiverr through their Fiverr accounts.

While we understand your frustration, this is a necessary step forward to continue building trust in our community."

With this, we now at least know that Fiverr will contact us through our accounts. For those that don’t have their ID, passport or drivers license now would be a great time to get one or else it’s the gallows with you.

With this, we now at least know that Fiverr will contact us through our accounts.

And there was me looking out for a carrier pigeon. How silly of me.

It is still very vague though. (With respect to my own concerns).

With this, we now at least know that Fiverr will contact us through our accounts.

And there was me looking out for a carrier pigeon. How silly of me.

I know what you mean but don’t expect any better. I’m surprised I got this much. Either way, I still don’t get how this will help with anything. Got any ideas?

Archived