Forensic Science of Fiverr Verifying your :ID: :woman_scientist:t4: POLL included :man_scientist:

nikavoice

poll  

280 members have voted

1. 1. poll

• Yes, I’ll happily comply. /images/emoji/twitter/sunglasses.png?v=5
    • Nope, I’ll leave the site. /images/emoji/twitter/roll_eyes.png?v=5
    • Meh, on da fence. /images/emoji/twitter/grimacing.png?v=5

I had to take a picture of myself holding my passport and a white paper with a unique number on it to verify my identity, and that was within certain time of receiving the code from that platform.

Do you think these scammers can/will do that? Showing your face with a fake passport/ID?

Do you think these scammers can/will do that? Showing your face with a fake passport/ID?

I really despair sometimes…

Yes. What you do is ask someone if they have ID and would mind standing in front of a camera for a second.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other famous freelancing platforms ask for this as well.

Even Facebook ask for it if your account was hacked or something.

I totally agree with this, so these sellers who pretend to be from the US or UK with fake profile pictures will be exposed!

I totally agree with this, so these sellers who pretend to be from the US or UK with fake profile pictures will be exposed!

…And you don’t don’t think they’ll find a way to use faux 🆔 just to save their account?

It’s a never-ending cycle! Nothing is foolproof!

Maybe in the future, there might be a way by which to submit a verifiable fingerprint scan (as a form of ID) via your smartphone (which Fiverr can then automatically verify with an international ID database 😜 )

I think this belongs more in a sci-fi novel than in a Fiverr forum post. 😉

Maybe in the future, there might be a way by which to submit a verifiable fingerprint scan (as a form of ID) via your smartphone (which Fiverr can then automatically verify with an international ID database 😜 )

there might be a way by which to submit a verifiable fingerprint scan (as a form of ID) via your smartphone

I bought something from the App store today and used my fingerprint as my ID/password. The future is now.

So a company who is consistently unable to provide custom, human responses for customer support requests are demanding ID verification from sellers… I’ve received violations for the most outrageous reasons (created previous posts for these) and have had no help from Fiverr. Yet, they are happy to suspend my account if I’m unable to provide ID. I cannot begin to imagine how this new rule was established.

there might be a way by which to submit a verifiable fingerprint scan (as a form of ID) via your smartphone

I bought something from the App store today and used my fingerprint as my ID/password. The future is now.

nahh… I do that too… I use my fingerprint on my smartphone to even open my bank’s mobile app and approve transactions through it.

But the future I was referring to was – when there would be a HIGHLY SECURE international ID database, that had the most accurate personal info of EACH and EVERY citizen of the earth… That would be common for all the 195 countries.

And companies that were registered with that database could submit a request to them – to verify if the fingerprint provided by their users was legit or not (and also that it matches the personal details provided).

Guest offlinehelpers

nahh… I do that too… I use my fingerprint on my smartphone to even open my bank’s mobile app and approve transactions through it.

But the future I was referring to was – when there would be a HIGHLY SECURE international ID database, that had the most accurate personal info of EACH and EVERY citizen of the earth… That would be common for all the 195 countries.

And companies that were registered with that database could submit a request to them – to verify if the fingerprint provided by their users was legit or not (and also that it matches the personal details provided).

But the future I was referring to was – when there would be a HIGHLY SECURE international ID database , that had the most accurate personal info of EACH and EVERY citizen on this earth… That would be common for all the 195 countries.

Bit over the top for selling a few gigs on Fiverr - -sounds like the whole New World Order thing - won’t happen in my lifetime. 😉

BTW - 1984 wasn’t a documentary!

Sounds like my cup of 🍵

Are you writing the book? Can I be one of your characters? 😛

Sounds like my cup of 🍵

Are you writing the book? Can I be one of your characters? 😛

I think I just might! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Would you like to be the editor/proofreader? 😉 jk

Can I be one of your characters? 😛

of course you can! :slight_smile: You can be the protagonist. 😉

I hope you realize that everyone has friends and can probably ‘’ borrow ‘’ their id’s as they please …

Sure, but like I said, I don’t believe it will extinguish, but it will help.

Better a little help than nothing.

like I said, I don’t believe it will extinguish, but it will help.

Better a little help than nothing.

a little help vs. having all sellers have to give their ID to be stored by a company.

In this case it doesn’t seem like it is worth it.

The fact that I feel some agreement with both of these posts is why I voted on the fence.

I agree with xuntes that this policy might help get rid of profiles with fake celebrity pics and such. Even sellers with family/friend IDs probably don’t have a friend that looks like Nicole Kidman.

I agree with Eoin that IDs seem like too much and I’m not thrilled about giving mine out.

I do wonder if this is partly scare tactic for sellers who’ve been warned about something or used VPN. I wonder if Fiverr will only ask those types of sellers for IDs and if Fiverr’s “shutdown” policy after 7 days will vary depending on why the seller was asked.

But the future I was referring to was – when there would be a HIGHLY SECURE international ID database , that had the most accurate personal info of EACH and EVERY citizen on this earth… That would be common for all the 195 countries.

Bit over the top for selling a few gigs on Fiverr - -sounds like the whole New World Order thing - won’t happen in my lifetime. 😉

🎤

A-Whole-New-World-Meme.jpg.7c8df9b77b6a00f0c7511c23a17daeab.jpg

A whole new world

A dazzling place I never knew

But when I’m way up here

It’s crystal clear

🎤

A-Whole-New-World-Meme

A whole new world

A dazzling place I never knew

But when I’m way up here

It’s crystal clear

The “mark” - yikes…😶

Summary

This text will be hidden

won’t happen in my lifetime. 😉

She said, after apparently waking from a 20-year coma. 😉

To me, it is obvious that Fiverr doesn’t want or need our ID details to make Fiverr safer. The fact that they will be sharing our data with third parties makes this blatantly obvious.

Me supplying my ID to Fiverr will in no way prevent me from suffering a chargeback.

As for buyer safety, I really do not understand how sane human beings actually get scammed by sellers on Fiverr.

• CS now cancels orders on a whim
  • Even if CS will not cancel an order, a buyer can file a chargeback

Anyway, the biggest red flag with this rests with the fact that Fiverr has been mute on the matter. I haven’t received an email, notification, or anything else about this. If I was like @offlinehelpers but didn’t use the forum, I would not be aware that soon my account may be deactivated due to me not being able to get my hands on a government ID in time.

This subject desperately requires an official announcement and at least a forum thread focused on common FAQs.

For a start, I don’t live in the UK but am a UK citizen and my Maltese ID card has a nice note on it saying that it can’t be used for official identity purposes (with regard to travel etc).

So, which ID does Fiverr want? An ID which says who I am or an ID which says where I am?

If Fiverr is doing this for security reasons, I would assume the latter. However, what about mobile freelancers/digital nomads?

There are too many unanswered questions. Then there is the fact that a company which can’t fix glaring bugs in its own platform now wants me to believe that they have just snapped their fingers and magically created a digital Fort Knox where my iD will be kept 100% safe and secure.

No one with a brain should even think about acquiescing to this.

So, which ID does Fiverr want? An ID which says who I am or an ID which says where I am?

Who you are (name, nationality, number of ID); if they’d want to know where you are, they’d need other info, like proof of residence, renting contract, bills from electricity supplier with your name and address (which apparently PayPal, for instance, uses to verify people), a report from a reliable private detective… 😉

Actually, while they do seem to make it difficult to use Fiverr with VPN, this makes me wonder that it’s not (yet) in the ToS though that you’re not allowed to use Fiverr with VPN, I know sites that have it in their rules. Not that there aren’t people who subvert that rule, of course, but if they do, and get found out, they get kicked out and it says so clearly in the ToS.

Our real, not spoofed, IPs, of course, do tell them more or less exactly where we are anyway.

Who you are (name, nationality, number of ID); if they’d want to know where you are, they’d need other info, like proof of residence, renting contract, bills from electricity supplier with your name and address (which apparently PayPal, for instance, uses to verify people), a report from a reliable private detective… 😉

Actually, while they do seem to make it difficult to use Fiverr with VPN, this makes me wonder that it’s not (yet) in the ToS though that you’re not allowed to use Fiverr with VPN, I know sites that have it in their rules. Not that there aren’t people who subvert that rule, of course, but if they do, and get found out, they get kicked out and it says so clearly in the ToS.

Our real, not spoofed, IPs, of course, do tell them more or less exactly where we are anyway.

I think that so far they haven’t wanted to make a blanket prohibition about VPN because there are some reasonably legitimate uses and because sometimes it’s not simple to just filter them out. There are whole office buildings that use VPN so if you are doing your freelance work out of an office, you might be using a legit VPN, but you could easily then get flagged for multiple accounts so there is a catch-22. I could see Fiverr looking at VPN users more closely than they do at those with fixed IP addresses.

How is Fiverr reaching out to verify? Are they sending an email or a notification on your account?

How is Fiverr reaching out to verify? Are they sending an email or a notification on your account?

Good question. :thinking:

I can only hope it’s both.

Maybe another user can confirm.

I think there is something you should consider also: asking for an official ID may lead to severe problems to Fiverr if something massive happens (like hacking). Imagine the news all around the world… It’s not the same to leak a user/password than a full ID scan. As Fiverr operates also in the UE, they must obey UE laws regarding GDPR. It is mandatory, does not matter they are based outside UE. Me, as an UE citizen, have the right to actually demand that Fiverr comply with the UE law in order to Fiverr provide me their services. GDPR can’t be forced to be disregarded (you can’t make an agreement that you choose to waive it). Said that, the problem is not now on my side, but theirs. You ask me for my ID? No problem, here you are. But… if you get hacked, or sold it or misuse it, you will get for sure into trouble with European authorities.
I don’t think Fiverr will do anything risky that can lead to millionarie fines. If they ask me my ID, I will positively think they will do the right thing, I don’t think they will do something shady or abusive. The opposite will make them run into troubles.
But oh well… that’s regarding UE. What happens to other countries regarding data protection may be different.

Why on earth am I finding about this just now? I don’t even have the slightest idea about how to submit that even if I decide to.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I get. At this point, I won’t be surprised if Fiverr announces a battle royale mode.

Has anyone gotten confirmation how Fiverr will reach out for Verification?

Guest offlinehelpers

Why on earth am I finding about this just now? I don’t even have the slightest idea about how to submit that even if I decide to.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I get. At this point, I won’t be surprised if Fiverr announces a battle royale mode.

Has anyone gotten confirmation how Fiverr will reach out for Verification?

This user got the message:

So today got the notice that i need to verify my identity using passport / ID / driving license How many of you got the same notice?

This user got the message:

So today got the notice that i need to verify my identity using passport / ID / driving license How many of you got the same notice?

So did he get an email or did he get a notification on Fiverr? Can you provide either of these? How do they verify a Government ID?

So… What would happen if seller sends ID to Fiverr and after a while he/she gets banned? Where that ID will go then?

They can contact them after 90 days when they ask to get their remaining revenue if any and ask for their data to be deleted if they are from a European country, perhaps, and trust that it’s going to be done.

Guest offlinehelpers

So did he get an email or did he get a notification on Fiverr? Can you provide either of these? How do they verify a Government ID?

No idea - I don’t have government ID I’m afraid.

Here’s the linky:

Archived