• Round
    • Orange Shaped
    • Banana Shaped
    • No Idea
    • I don’t care

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is that green light above the Earth?

I think it’s the atmosphere. It must be reflecting light from the earth.

So the green part is actually over the green light near Thailand but you can’t tell that from this picture.

This was probably taken from a satellite that was moving really fast over the earth.

That is Aurora.

When the charged particle that comes from the Sun hits Earth’s atmosphere, (the Atom’s and Molecule’s of Oxygen and Nitrogen and different compounds) those particle excites those atoms gives off the light!

That is Aurora.

When the charged particle that comes from the Sun hits Earth’s atmosphere, (the Atom’s and Molecule’s of Oxygen and Nitrogen and different compounds) those particle excites those atoms gives off the light!

The aurora happens near the poles, not hear the equator.

I think it’s the atmosphere. It must be reflecting light from the earth.

So the green part is actually over the green light near Thailand but you can’t tell that from this picture.

This was probably taken from a satellite that was moving really fast over the earth.

Could be. I think it’s atmospheric “froth” like NASA said:

favicon.icoNASA
earth20150226.thumb.jpg.d871bf407993f2d9b8860bfdbb25ed30.jpg

Study of Atmospheric 'Froth' May Help GPS Communications

A new study of Earth's ionosphere, a part of the upper atmosphere, could have applications for better GPS communications.

The aurora happens near the poles, not hear the equator.

Well, there are some pieces of evidence that Aurora happened near the equator like the geomagnetic storm around 1860. And, it’s true that Aurora can only be seen on the North Pole and the South Pole because it takes a lot of charged particle to make the Aurora visible. But when You are in space, and there is no atmospheric bound, you can see the color everywhere. From that sense, I used the term, Aurora instead of reflecting light from space by the atmosphere. 😃

Could be. I think it’s atmospheric “froth” like NASA said:

favicon.icoNASA
3c6f3db5b55d3ce9e0f1920a2f9f7f800f308869.jpg

Study of Atmospheric 'Froth' May Help GPS Communications

A new study of Earth's ionosphere, a part of the upper atmosphere, could have applications for better GPS communications.

That’s a picture of the aurora over the north pole. You can see charged particles radiating up from the atmosphere:

earth20150226.thumb.jpg.1830572e26abc6fb294970743b049fe3.jpg

I’m wondering about that 90 degree cloud formation.

Archived