If you advertise it for $5 . . . you must sell it for $5!

ginnymenges

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reply to @fastcopywriter: I think you’ve made a really important point here. Breaking a law doesn’t really mean anything (well, it morally means a lot, but you can break laws right and left and if no one bothers to do anything about it…) unless someone is willing to dredge up the court case against you.

I’m not sure how someone would even start up a class action lawsuit against the website and surely against a single seller? Yeesh. Fiverr has effectively absolved themselves (as I would fully expect them to) by saying that sellers are not “allowed” to use the site for unlawful activities, that users should report any activity, if they see it going on, that Fiverr does not check any of the content uploaded to the website, and that they are not liable for any damages under any legal theory (that’s all from the ToS, before I’m accused of being a writer who can’t do her research).

Like any laws/rules, there will, of course, be exceptions–which has been my entire point of posting on this thread at all, that the law is elastic and we can’t make blanket statements about it when there is no specific precedence.

And courts may find Fiverr culpable for all of the “false advertising” that may or may not have gone on here if a law firm were ever to take a look and say, “Hey, there are some ‘advertisements’ (And the partners stop him and say, “Now Jefferson, we’re going to have to define what an advertisement is specifically in how it relates to this here website and the weird way they’ve got their seller thingies,”) on here that seem outlandish. And look! Some of the people who’ve bought it say that the seller doesn’t deliver on the claims. We might be able to make some money here!” (But in order for it to stick, I’d imagine that they would have to prove that Fiverr was notified of this activity and let it slide.)

No one is disputing that gigs that do not actually offer anything for $5 are unethical–Fiverr specifically asks us to report them. The grey area is in situations where character limits in the titles do not allow us to fully outline and specify the limitations of our $5 offerings.

In short, everybody needs to calm down. This bit isn’t to you, fastcopywriter–just to everyone in general who might be reading this comment. Shots have been fired from both sides. Cut it out. I don’t like being called a jack ass or being told that I can’t research worth sh*t (and maybe this wasn’t in reference to me or the other users that have gone out and brought back quotes from legal websites or cited their legitimate personal knowledge and anecdotes), or seeing users that are just trying to be helpful being bullied in an attempt to make yourself look good. Personal attacks neither help you make your point nor endear you to the community.

I guess the OP believes her interpretation of the law is all that matters. I’m sure if in court, the other lawyer would have no problem shooting holes in her logic. She’s not helping anyone here but only trying to make the point that her way is the only way. That’s fine. Based on my conversation with Fiverr CS, the description is an extension of the title. I know one dispute of my own was decided in my favor based on the wording in my description.

If she thinks differently, I don’t know why she is wasting her time here but instead should be contacting Fiverr directly. I’m sure many disputes settled between buyer and seller by CS, looked at the gig wording as a whole and not just what the title said. Just like she had not convinced many here, I’m sure she could not convince Fiverr CS to consider settling disputes based on what she has posted here.

Reply to @missashley8705:

Anyone too stupid to know he or she is in business is to stupid to be in business.

You obviously can’t even read the VERY SPECIFIC statement by the government that VERY CLEARLY said that freelancers ARE businesses. Are you really so stupid that you think being able to qualify for a business loan is what makes a business? Do you really think there is such a thing as a federal business license? Oh MY GOD you are making such a fool of yourself. Thank for a good hardy laugh!! I needed that one! I would tell you to wait until you make over $600 on Fiverr and don’t file a schedule C (small business) tax form and you will see whether you are a business or not. But I don’t think there is any fear of you have the business skills to make that much in one year.

Child you need to practice these words, “Would you like fries with that?” You obviously have a bright future in the food service industry.

Reply to @mrproofreading:

Oh don’t you worry your little head about me spending my money on those of you that have been taking pot shots at me for trying to be helpful. What seems to be the problem? You can say what you want about me, but when I stand up for myself you can’t take it! If you can’t take the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen! My post was to help people. A few trolls (and yes I checked, those of you shooting your mouth off at me are posting in every discussion), have been showing just how stupid and ignorant they are. At first I just thought it was ignorance; now I realize you are all just malicious. Guess what, I can insult with the best of them.

What you don’t realize is that most of the people reading these post, who are not the trolls, are REAL business people here to buy services. They know what I am saying is the truth and you are all showing them just how small and stupid you are!

I ordered $1300 on here today- one database was $920- I set up one gig that will be purchased on Monday for $170 - a small $5 voice over gig was ordered - a $10 quick script gig -and another $3201.60 on o Desk for a VA recruiter to do some interview screening for me for 32 weeks. I’m a buyer! You small folks who just insult me will never conduct that kind of business. Oh, I know! I know! You will tell yourself and each other that I’m lying. What every helps you sleep at nigh!

(Still waiting on the fragglerocks here!! Or have you checked my account and realized I spend too much on here for you to actually screw with me!! Run me off and Fiverr might get pissed off!!)

Reply to @ginnymenges: Steveeyes said “description is an extension of the title” and certainly did not mention contradiction and you said “description is an extension of the title and therefor CAN NOT be used to contradict it.” Why do you say she has a hard time understanding words? You are probably one of the most rude individuals I have ever seen on the forum and I’ve seen quite a few (many of whom were sellers before you go calling me names again too.) I’m truly sorry you seem to have nothing better to do but be nasty to people. Let this go and be well.

Reply to @fonthaunt:

Please try to keep up!

Steveeyes said on one hand that the title was an extension of the title but has, on the other hand, continuously argued that one can say anything in the world that one wishes in the title as long as the truth is in the description. I’m pointing out that, as she said it is an extension and therefore CAN NOT contradict it. I’ll try to break it down better for your two next time.

And for your information, I only have four people on here that I’m being rude to. I have be very amiable to all of you up until yesterday in-spite of your constant rudeness toward me. However, if I’m going to be accused of being rude at every turn, might as well be rude! Wouldn’t you agree?

Still waiting to be fragglerocked!! since no Sheriff stepped in and prevented me from being attacked in the early days of this discussion thread. You and others kept accusing me of being angry when all I was trying to do was help. That wasn’t angry. This is angry! Do ya think you can ya tell the difference now?

For all the folks that kept wanting to make fun of me for comparing Fiverr to Amazon and Ebay - looks like the founders of Fiverr think it is a lot like Amazon and eBay too! In fact it looks like Fiverr was actually conceptualized to be JUST LIKE Amazon! (In case the word conceptualized is too big - it means that Amazon is where the idea of Fiver came from)

Who Knew! I just keep being vindicated one authoritative article after another!! LMAO!!!

Reply to @ginnymenges:

Well, I believe (Strongly) that Fiverr would be banned long time ago if it wasn’t following US laws. So, apparently it’s not the case here. As for Poker and gambling are way too different stuff. I’m a Libertarian my self though.

It’s a work in progress, but in this case your rights are not offended by any of the listed categories. http://www.ftc.gov/policy/international/international-consumer-protection

But…

I’m coming from an European country, there is a flag next to my name, and I offer my services. A person is visiting my profile or gig and decides to outsource services at their own ‘risk’. As I don’t either believe that a company outsourced by US company should follow any US laws just because the US company choose this non-US company at their own and risk.

Reply to @michelltech

’Assuming’ there other citizens in the world than US, what you are saying has no sense.

http://www.ftc.gov/policy/international/international-consumer-protection/sites/all/themes/ftc/images/ftc_logo_430-centennial.png

Federal Trade Commission | Protecting America's Consumers

http://www.ftc.gov

OH MY! Does this article actually say that there should not be any “need to negotiate price”? This is an interview with the founder of Fiverr. Looks like I understand the Fiverr concept a lot better than the four of you that have been being so rude to me for days now. Better get a rag and wipe that egg off your FACE!!

full article at http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2013/08/07/the-secret-to-making-money-on-fiverr?src=usn_fb

Show me where I said (in bold below):

Steveeyes said on one hand that the title was an extension of the title but has, on the other hand, continuously argued that one can say anything in the world that one wishes in the title as long as the truth is in the description. - See more at: http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/47807/if-you-advertise-it-for-5-you-must-sell-it-for-5/p5#sthash.8WMkLoT5.dpuf

I never said you can say whatever you wanted in the title as long as you clarify it in the description – I did say the description was an extension of the title.

However, I did counter your statement that what was in the title was the only basis for the $5 dollar sale and that the title carried more weight than the description – other posters stated the same argument but it seem to rub you the wrong way

Based on your language in recent posts/replies, it is obvious your emotional so I forgive you for being loose with the facts and stating I said something I didn’t. Not sure if making things up helps your argument but one thing I do know, I didn’t say what you said I said. If I did, show me.

Fiverr is the ultimate arbitrator when there is dispute between buyer and seller. Based on my discussion and experience with Fiverr your argument doesn’t carry the weight you give it.

I think you gave us sellers all the Help and Wisdom we want. Nothing will change. If there is a dispute between buyer and seller it will be handled by Fiverr no matter what words of wisdom you may think we need. I know you may not like it, but Fiverr’s word is all that matters.

Sellers will carry on as we have before and will continue to do so – no more arguments – and – I think most agree that no more help is needed.

Fiverr doesn’t read these posts so you have to contact (i.e. help ticket) them directly if you think your help and wisdom is what they are looking for.

:-@ :-@ :-@

I fail to see how someone with serious job or business waste their time arguing from such an honorable elite position, while looking at the low-lifes who can’t understand law and don’t want to bow to the elite people in this world when they offer advice.

/sarcasm

Reply to @ginnymenges:

ginnymenges said: Child you need to practice these words, “Would you like fries with that?” You obviously have a bright future in the food service industry.

You need to practice deep breathing. Nothing but rage is spouted from your finger tips. Take a deep breath, have a cup of coffee, and go back to your super-successful, incredibly well-paid, never-have-any-free-time-except-to-troll-the-forums business.

Reply to @ginnymenges:

ginnymenges said: You can say what you want about me, but when I stand up for myself you can't take it!

The difference is, I was trying to understand your view by engaging you in calm conversation. I brought up a valid example about Nicorette that proved you wrong, why didn't you respond?

Instead of being civil and acting as such, you respond by insulting every single fiverr seller.

ginnymenges said: You small folks who just insult me will never conduct that kind of business.

You then follow with this...

ginnymenges said: Or have you checked my account and realized I spend too much on here for you to actually screw with me!! Run me off and Fiverr might get pissed off!!)

I have nothing further to add.

Archived