If you advertise it for $5 . . . you must sell it for $5!

ginnymenges

I guess to all of this, I have to ask if anyone actually gets an app for $5? There are tons of people claiming that. Some of the stuff on here I just don’t believe people can do for $5. Even in third world countries they can’t live on making a whole app for that.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A week ago I ordered a cartoon portrait for $5.00, and it was completed on time, and was well done. I ordered an “I will draw a Best Lovely realistic cartoon portrait - standard” from a different seller yesterday for my wife for $5.00 and then got this message from the seller this morning. “Sir, Thanks for If you give me $5 dollar I loss here, If you give me $20 dollar I will do this work very nicely.”

I have sent a request to Customer Support, and have not heard back from them, but to me this gives a black eye to Fiverr’s image. What is this seller offering me for $20 that he had not already offered for $5.00 and I had paid for? I will not mention the name of the seller here as that is against Fiverr policy. However unless I get a clear-cut response that they disapprove and will let the seller know, I will be very hesitant in using Fiverr services in future. To me, the simple solution is that if the seller has a “loss” in doing work for $5, then they should not advertise work for that price.

I sent a reply to the seller this morning:

"So if I don’t want to pay $20 instead of $5, does that mean you will not do the work very nicely? That is not what you promised in your ad, #seller#

I have contacted Fiverr customer service to ask if this is a violation of their policies."

… and got back this message:

“Sir,
One may have demand. Not yet that it is the violation of fiverr policies.
Just it’s my demand. Don’t mind, I am doing this work.”

Obviously this seller has severe problems with the English language. That doesn’t change the fact that he was essentially panhandling to quadruple his asking price. Let’s see what Customer Service has to say about it. I will post their response here.

I’ve noticed lots of things that seem to be normal behavior in certain countries such as:
copying other people’s gigs
using famous people’s pictures for their own profiles
saying they are in the United States when it’s obvious they aren’t
trying to get something from a seller for free including threatening a bad review–blackmail
having multiple accounts
claiming they can do work they can’t
claiming to be experienced writers when they can’t even make a sentence
calling everyone “dear”

There are 3 countries in particular where this seems to be the norm and I wish I could block these. These must be hideous countries.

• 7 months later...

I love the stuff you said. I try to get a game made from a particular seller who advertised that he’ll make game for $5. When I told him about my game in contact, he said it’s not worth $5 which is fair. After I told him to make a very simple game that would be worth $5 and only after he tells me that he only makes games for $100 or more. I hate click baits. I wish that fiverr would be more strict when sellers do this. I’ll have to buy very important gigs somewhere else if things don’t change.

you have already advertised that you will create a responsive website for $5. This means that under the US Consumer Protection ACT you MUST sell ANY responsive website for $5. A better headline would have been, “I will create a 3-page website for $5” The “disclaimer” you put in your description can’t be used to reverse your advertised header.

I do not mean to disappoint you, but pages in websites do not mean anything one page could take you a week of work while 3 pages could take you 30 minutes of work, in this case fiverr has two options, either ban all the web related services or add a feature for hourly rate.

Google search is a one page but that doesn’t mean you can create a website or search engine like google in a day if you can create any other website page in a day, you see this is irrelevant in web development! 

I entirely agree with you. For example, I had an order of creating 20 summaries of 150 words each in 24h, because the buyer selected ordering the gig 20 times, but the deadline remained the same, since it was a unique order. I woke up in the morning with 14 hours left to deliver. Not to mention I had 2 other orders with deadlines due the same day. It is always best to communicate before actually ordering, to avoid any misunderstanding, or even disappointing buyers.

Agreed and also liked your last words
PS. If you don’t like these facts, don’t yell at me on this forum. Yell at the US Congress. They created these laws, not me. )

You are good writer. Now write a new details post about fiverr’s new packages. Now price can be set more than $5. Now it can be like it “I will create a website for $500”

This whole string started out with an original post focusing on U.S consumer legislation. Such legislation, if it has not already been discredited to death above, is only applicable in the U.S.

Buyers and Sellers on Fiverr exist and engage in e-commerce transactions in many, many other countries around the globe. In such transactions (probably millions, tens of millions) the U.S. legislation is irrelevant. (Sorry, cousins).

Naught of the legislation can be enforced upon a Lithuanian resident promising a full fledged space station for only $5 to a New Zealand resident. Even if the space station were to be delivered without sheep. (Sorry, Kiwi Commonwealth cousins).

Though it would not be good for news for a Seller, Lithuanian or otherwise, the most the Kiwi could do would be to contact Customer Support and plead a TOS violation.

Prepare now for an avalanche of replies about allegedly existing commercial treaties between Lithuania and New Zealand.

I have a longstanding grievance against Lithos. Well, some of them. One of them. I was staying in a Youth Hostel some winters back long term, and I had my “office spot”. For months it was known that I sat there. She violated that rule.

Also she existed on a diet of cucumbers and potato while exhibiting a face as sour as any I’ve seen.

I kind of miss her. Between my acid comments about her stealing my primo office space (I had to make do with a nice, too-cheeful Serbian fellow on a too-high table which aggravated my carpal tunnel syndrome) and… other small-time bitchin’ she transformed my opinion of Lithuania.

I also know some Australian Lithos and they said she was a c-word, so maybe it was just her and I’m a little zealous of my writing spots. For extra flourish, this all happened against a backdrop of the coldest winter in Greece in 40 years, a tight hostel manager who let a (TINY) gas oven fire up for 15 mins a day, and a revolt (partially instigated by grumpy, half-frozen me) when we kept the oven on for a whole hour.

Also, that shitty candle trick (cover it with pottery, pottery warms up, you warm up) trick is ALL LIES.

The point of this meandering post is that nobody gives a f*ck about OP’s point unless they’re like OP–which means they must run cheap hostels.

I hate the US Consumer Protection Act, mainly because they forced me to change “instant approvals” to “instant decisions” after those 'rats complained about our payday advertising. Apparently, because every loan isn’t approved, we can’t say “instant approvals.” Never mind that every other payday lender does, but because my employer was big, the government thugs went after them.

The consumer protection doesn’t protect anyone, it’s yet another bureaucracy, created by Obama to harass people.

Fiverr is proof that an economy doesn’t need government and customers don’t need protection. Your protection is your brain, if you use it, you’re protected, if you don’t, you deserve what happens to you.

@jameskanata Just for clarity (even though this thread is ancient) you are doing a good job (seriously) of helping remind people that they need to contact Fiverr to complain instead of just venting on the forum. I would suggest that you replace the words Trust and Safety with Customer Support when you recommend that people use the ticket system. One reason is that Customer Support covers all departments whereas Trust and Safety is only one department. The other reason is that when you write Customer Support on the forum, it automatically hyperlinks. 🙂

Also, the words Terms of Service (not just ToS) and forum rules make hyperlinks. So does Fiverr Academy and Levels! Help yourself to some excellent link opportuntiies.

Now, THIS is an important new topic, unless the old OP. @emmaki is right about the candle fail. However, if you are ever stuck in a very cold house with your power out and you suddenly remember that you have a box with 100 really big candles that were used once for your wedding, you can fit 53 of them on an average coffee table and they will actual do some reasonable warming. Have a fire extingisher close at hand if attempting this at home.

• 3 years later...

This is not good practic in my opinion. Because of some buyer not read gig description carefully.

Just think
You create a responsive website in $5 so as a client i think this is great price for me. I no need to read description. Jist I need 3 page responsive website. So he place order. Finally in conversation he know this is a ad.

So now think what situation client
Aspection and deliver different is more than 99%.

In my think this is a fake advertisement.
It’s enough for getting a too bed review such as (if possible less than) 1 star

Thank you.

• 1 year later...

I placed an order on one of the sellers multiple ads he had up and I picked the cheapest of his ads then after placing the order and giving him the job specs he advises me he wants another $150 to do the job, I already paid nearly $60 then when I told him to cancel the price kept coming down then up then down to $130 all up. No way, If he lives in Pakistan and making that much money from suckers then he would be living like a King. I don’t care how educated he might be, the site states Fiverr not gold mine. I am not happy with Fiverr, I have cancelled the order but i am still been charged GST. I should get it all back. It’s not the first time I have been asked for more money and it is getting worse, Fiverr should clamp down on this unsavory practice. Now I get a message asking me how much can I afford after telling him my budget was the $60. Go figure!

Archived