Another golden goose quitting Fiverr. Is this a trend?

smashradio

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

That sounds great, but I'm having trouble getting anyone to bite at those prices.

Have you tried it? I mean, have you actually created an artsy website filled with ample whitespace, bought an unattractive Scandinavian chair crafted from organic wool and reclaimed mahogany, dressed like you're about to strut down a catwalk, and then explained your "creative process" to a high-profile CEO? How you wander through the woods collecting sticks that spark your ideas as you inhale the earthy air and let the essence of design flow through you? Even better, bring a touch of the forest into their office and insist on sitting on the floor barefoot during meetings. Then, calmly inform them that your time is worth millions per hour, because people will connect deeply with the client’s brand new story (not video, story, that’s crucial!).

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, smashradio said:

and then explained your "creative process" to a high-profile CEO?

I don't have access to high profile CEO's, unfortunately.

I could do the rest easily, and I think I would be great at it, actually.

• Like 6

On 5/1/2024 at 7:28 AM, smashradio said:

Have you tried it? I mean, have you actually created an artsy website filled with ample whitespace, bought an unattractive Scandinavian chair crafted from organic wool and reclaimed mahogany, dressed like you're about to strut down a catwalk, and then explained your "creative process" to a high-profile CEO? How you wander through the woods collecting sticks that spark your ideas as you inhale the earthy air and let the essence of design flow through you? Even better, bring a touch of the forest into their office and insist on sitting on the floor barefoot during meetings. Then, calmly inform them that your time is worth millions per hour, because people will connect deeply with the client’s brand new story (not video, story, that’s crucial!).

I just vomited. 

This is why the world is going to hell. Artifice and lies, all to charge ludicrous sums of money for mediocre output. 

Also, and I have to point this out, why is this VS can't get a massive job with people with lots of money post rather than the original topic? 

There is so much meat in the original topic. You know that, and I know that. Now we're talking about scandinavian scam rooms. 

• Sad 1

Just now, visualstudios said:

I don't have access to high profile CEO's, unfortunately.

I could do the rest easily, and I think I would be great at it, actually.

Then go for it. The trick is to make it appear as if you’re the type regularly hired by CEOs. It doesn’t really matter if you’re actually well-connected, but you must make them believe you are. After that, all you need is some sheer f**** hubris. I once had a client who needed a more complex web design project than I was prepared to handle, so I reached out to a friend who owns an agency to see if they could take it on. It turned out they wouldn’t even consider a project for less than $500K, simply because price was their main status symbol.

• Like 5

On 5/1/2024 at 7:35 AM, smashradio said:

Then go for it. The trick is to make it appear as if you’re the type regularly hired by CEOs. It doesn’t really matter if you’re actually well-connected, but you must make them believe you are. After that, all you need is some sheer f**** hubris. I once had a client who needed a more complex web design project than I was prepared to handle, so I reached out to a friend who owns an agency to see if they could take it on. It turned out they wouldn’t even consider a project for less than $500K, simply because price was their main status symbol.

This is exactly what scammers do. They pretend. 

It's all a con trick. Con, of course, being short for  confidence. Smoke and mirrors...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, smashradio said:

if you’re actually well-connected, but you must make them believe you are. After that, all you need is some sheer f**** hubris. I once had a client who needed a more complex web design project than I was prepared to handle, so I reached out to a friend who owns an agency to see if they could take it on. It turned out they wouldn’t even consider a project for less than $500K, simply because price was their main status symbol.

You do need the contacts though. I can make a website stating just that, but I'll get zero contacts, and I need to pay rent. For me not to consider a project for less than $500k, I must not need money under $500k. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

You do need the contacts though. I can make a website stating just that, but I'll get zero contacts, and I need to pay rent. For me not to consider a project for less than $500k, I must not need money under $500k. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

You make connections by attending events. For example, volunteer to produce videos for a charity, pro bono. Choose a reputable charity, ideally one managed by influential people, and explain that observing and learning how they operate at fundraisers is part of your process. Just like that, you’re in. Now start shaking hands, hand out your brand new, organic, recycled, ultra-thick embossed business cards that feature just your name, no contact info or anything else. Tell people you specialize in creating exclusive videos for exclusive clients. Don't forget to mention that you're there to get a feel for the vibe of a project you're working on for the charity.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, smashradio said:

You make connections by attending events. For example, volunteer to produce videos for a charity, pro bono. Choose a reputable charity, ideally one managed by influential people, and explain that observing and learning how they operate at fundraisers is part of your process. Just like that, you’re in. Now start shaking hands, hand out your brand new, organic, recycled, ultra-thick embossed business cards that feature just your name, no contact info or anything else. Tell people you specialize in creating exclusive videos for exclusive clients. Don't forget to mention that you're there to get a feel for the vibe of a project you're working on for the charity.

Well, I live in the wrong place, then. Local market is a zero. No way to attend events that have any sort of influential / budget having people here.

I hear that works great in the US. Here there's nothing, and what there is is totally controlled. People in power will get their nephew to do it anyway. Portugal = extreme nepotism + no money whatsoever.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 4

Oh, and while you’re in the middle of a conversation with an important CEO at the event, interrupt them mid-sentence and say, “Excuse me, I need to go say hello to X,” making X the person in charge of the charity. Your time is too valuable to stay in one spot for too long.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, visualstudios said:

Well, I live in the wrong place, then. Local market is a zero. No way to attend events that have any sort of influential / budget having people here.

I hear that works great in the US. Here there's nothing, and what there is is totally controlled. People in power will get their nephew to do it anyway. Portugal = extreme nepotism + no money whatsoever.

Perhaps. Spain is similar, but I've dined with top diplomats thanks to that technique, and I just do it for fun, not because I want to work with any of them. 

• Like 4

Unfortunately I'm Portuguese. It would be much better to live here by choice - foreigners are treated much better (tax-wise). Pretty great country to come and live in. Terrible country to be a native of.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

Unfortunately I'm Portuguese. It would be much better to live here by choice - foreigners are treated much better (tax-wise). Pretty great country to come and live in. Terrible country to be a native of.

You could always move. I hear the Canary Islands is nice 🙂

• Like 4

...and has a lot more funny handshakers... since 18th century, as opposed to PT since the 1990s. 

It's not what you know... 

Well, that's stopped the conversation again. 

Anyway, canary islands isn't where I'd pick if I were going to join the club. The UK is the real hotbed, scotland in particular. Oh, the stories the glens could tell... 

1 hour ago, emmaki said:

This is exactly what scammers do. They pretend. 

It's all a con trick. Con, of course, being short for  confidence. Smoke and mirrors...

I disagree. If you're genuinely adding value to the charity by volunteering your services, meeting influential people along the way, and branding yourself as a high-end *insert job here*, you're not lying. It's simply your brand, and you're employing perfectly valid techniques to achieve results, including using psychology to influence those around you. This could come in the form of sticking your hand into the snake pit of charity to connect with  influential people, or by using creative processes to make your work appear more valuable. If it does, it might even create more value, so even this isn't a lie, it's just optics and how you use them to send a message. 

• Like 3

On 5/1/2024 at 8:50 AM, smashradio said:

I disagree. If you're genuinely adding value to the charity by volunteering your services, meeting influential people along the way, and branding yourself as a high-end *insert job here*, you're not lying. It's simply your brand, and you're employing perfectly valid techniques to achieve results, including using psychology to influence those around you. This could come in the form of sticking your hand into the snake pit of charity to connect with  influential people, or by using creative processes to make your work appear more valuable. If it does, it might even create more value, so even this isn't a lie, it's just optics and how you use them to send a message. 

Sadly, you're missing a lot of context due to the other ~7 posts I wrote being removed. Another win for everyone. There is a very thin line here.... 

But let's try again. 

A lot of this high class world - getting into it - is about moving into a new social space where you are not really welcome until you prove yourself. One of the easiest ways to do this is, as you've pointed out, to show yourself as a smooth operator who understands the rules of the game and provides "the experience".

That's the "con trick" - I am using this neutrally here, since it can be seen as good or bad depending on the ultimate goal of the con trick; if it's adding value and serving a luxury audience, nobody will think it bad. If it's garden scamming, nobody likes it. But the same techniques are used. Like any other tool, it is the human using them that determines whether good or bad comes from it. 

But if you really want to get to the top of this world, then you will need to pass some "small" tests, and even then, you need to be the right sort. The tests judge that, as well as bind you. It is these tests that separate people making loadsamoney but mingling, as an outsider, in these circles, and the true power and wealth of today. 

Without passing this test - and this goes beyond joining the funny handshake club - you'll never smash through the ceiling. And in countries where this club doesn't have a huge presence, it really is a case of who you know, not what you know - and since old families tend to rule the roost there, this will be closely related to class.

It's a many tentacle'd monster. And, as I said on a post elsewhere, they have an entirely different set of rules. That comment was removed, though. You can tell when someone is cast out the club: suddenly, the rules no longer apply to them. The latest example was one Mr. P. Diddy. 

And he's not even that important. Or wasn't, I should say. Honestly, it's stuff that I won't go anywhere near. 

6 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

Please go on! I'm curious re doing it cheaper (and still hiring capable people who can deliver a quality end result). How would you operate, if say you were a copywriter (and not just using AI)? Or use another freelance niche of course. Really curious!

To scale to 7 figures you have to delegate, and if you can pretty much disconnect yourself from the business then you can protect your mental health to a degree. Not saying you're wrong

Jack up your prices.. if you charge Mcdonald's prices you are going to get Mcdonald's customers along with all the aggravation that entails. Can I have more fries. My servings too small. Can you give me a large coke, im a regular customer (pun intended). people who order your gig because its sounds good and then ask what they have ordered.

Revisions to infinity & beyond. What’s going to happen then?.

You are going to be stuck in a vicious circle of working with low ball customers  repeatedly asking for discounts, revisions and extra work. It’s a shortcut to failure and will eventually fail  because the bad feedback will soon start to pile up and you will be left with a failure score that removes you from search.  The only way to success with this is to hire a lot of people and whip them constantly to row faster while offering prices so low no one is going to complain. Before you know it you will be in meksell hell. 

If you want to do it you can do it. A lot of people on here do and they are not too hard to find. You just need to find some slaves who will do the work at a low enough price to make it profitable. 

I tried that at first and the only way it works is if you pump out orders at the speed of light and keep doing it. Obviously you are going to have to do something for this to work before you get overwhelmed and start looking for the nearest bridge.. The something depends on the services you are offering. If its copywriting, delegating or outsourcing or employing low cost workers is not going to work. Simply because the quality of work is going to vary enormously and it’s going to result in bad feedback from one order to the next from the same customers. If it’s copywriting though you can charge serious wonga by finding the right customers.

Higher prices do translate to higher profits if you can find the customers.If.

I had a lot of luck on my side.  Going back a very long way someone who was a friend of the owner of Moz approached  me and asked about writing reports for websites. You may not think there is a lot of money in this but trust me this is the gateway to upselling heaven.if you know what you are doing. The problems with this was at the time people were ( and still are) using software to generate reports which are meaningless & generic. The idea was to take time and write real reports and turn people into repeat customers.  This was the definition of finding an opening in an existing niche.

I also found some (a few). people on here who were trying to push a specific service but their pricing was wrong and their packages were worded wrong and pushed the wrong way.. I went and approached some friends and set up a business just offering this one service. We bought an office in Europe and bought in people to do the work.

I then did the same for another service and bought an office somewhere very low cost, not in Europe and  put someone in charge of it.

The biggest problems with upscaling are this.

#1 if you are going to employ people in any shape or form they are going to try and copy what you are doing or steal your customers. That’s a given and you need to work on the basis they will do this. To combat this you don’t show anyone the whole picture and just keep them focused on their own tasks.

#2 regardless of how much you delegate. You will need to keep a very close eye on what people are doing that are working for you. People will always try to “do it better” AKA shortcuts. for nearly two years I was surviving on four hours sleep a night.

#3 you need to find the customers if you are not selling them McDonalds.. There are corporate customers on here with single user accounts. One of them Ive known before fiverr existed and has sent me a huge number of corporate customers. This guy is the cfo of a company right at the top of the fortune 100 and there are plenty on here. Trust me on that.

Where can you find people like this? Linkedin, the place is a goldmine. Also  chambers of commerce . I will admit I’ve had help from some extremely wealthy individuals who I have come into contact with through other means.

Biggest problem is getting help on here. When you run into problems you are going to be on your own to a large degree.. Not because people don’t want to help but do not really understand issues that are beyond their own experiences. In the distant past ive asked for things which I know would have helped me scale things on here & address issues and easily scale to at least three to four times what I was making but many things were misunderstood and I just dropped them.

One thing I would pay for here are project management tools. This would make life 1000 times easier and enable everyone to scale up.

Just in case you think this will not work. It will. I’ve no problem showing my earnings on here.

this post is full of typos and spelling errors. I dont care. fix them yourself or whatever and go and make some money.

image.png

• Like 7
  • Up 6

Thanks for deleting my reply to Smash! Your finger can smear all over the delete button of this as well while your eyes glaze over important details in the post above that really should be read. But no, I am definitely more important and you should focus on my impotent yapping instead. 

Look at that; a Fiverr millionaire pops out of the woodwork! Since he's better than me, let me quote something relevant that staff will probably continue to ignore. 

1 hour ago, markp said:

Biggest problem is getting help on here. When you run into problems you are going to be on your own to a large degree.. Not because people don’t want to help but do not really understand issues that are beyond their own experiences. In the distant past ive asked for things which I know would have helped me scale things on here & address issues and easily scale to at least three to four times what I was making but many things were misunderstood and I just dropped them.

How's that going to work for going upmarket? Remember, lots of people are leaving. Or starting much more profitable businesses away from Fiverr and not bringing that stuff to Fvierr because apparently, the talents not here.

What was it Fasulo said (hey, you're deleting this anyway)? This place is like trainer wheels for freelancers? I have to say, that did make me smile. 

The only thing that isn't clear is whether mark is refering to Fiverr or its sellers. I'm gonna go with both. Who cares about my opinion anyway? Not anyone here, since they'll never see it!

• Like 5

21 hours ago, smashradio said:

And what could Fiverr do to alleviate this pressure and support its established freelancers?

How to alleviate the pressure?

Fiverr should stop penalizing old sellers as the same way they do with new sellers. Some sellers with +5 years here and thousand of orders are proof of their commitment, but you only need 1 cancelation or 1 star review to impact the entire account.

This is why veterans get tired and leave.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I'm being honest, I'm trying, but everything seems terribly ridiculous. After the last meeting with my SM, who told me to be very careful with communication, which collects data through AI, I realized that it's impossible for me. Most of my clients are Italian, and they communicate in a very formal way, which is a negative aspect for AI, so the solution would be to respond like a bot and not like a sentient being. Tired and resigned, I will go back to working in some agency, it doesn't make sense to sacrifice so much anymore.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

On 5/1/2024 at 5:12 AM, emmaki said:

EDIT: just so anyone knows, 95% of my posts are being not approved at the moment on any subject I write.

The Gentleman's Guide to Forum Spies comes to mind. Have you read that?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, carminesannino said:

After the last meeting with my SM, who told me to be very careful with communication, which collects data through AI, I realized that it's impossible for me

1 hour ago, carminesannino said:

so the solution would be to respond like a bot and not like a sentient being.

I can think of so many other colorful words beyond "ridiculous." I was getting hungry and thinking about breakfast, but not anymore. 

Okay. I'm moving on to my website tasks.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 2:34 PM, smashradio said:

Another one of the "golden sellers" on Fiverr are leaving.

She'll remain nameless, but she did post a rather interesting Youtube video about why.  It seems she’s had her fill and is ditching Fiverr for many of the same reasons echoed by other sellers here on the forum, including yours truly. 

For the record, I’m not quitting Fiverr. Despite its flaws, I believe it still has a lot to offer me as a freelancer. 

However, Fiverr’s struggle to retain real pro's is becoming glaringly obvious, when multiple million-dollar sellers are leaving.

As a pro in my field with a robust and growing business outside of Fiverr, I agree that the platform does still have a lot to offer to freelancers and is still a good piece of the pie to include in your business. Over the last few years however, even as my business here has been booming it's become increasingly clear that it's not reliable enough and demands a bit too much of sellers to be a huge piece of that pie.

I also do not plan to leave Fiverr any time soon, but I would be lying if I said I felt as rosy about the platform today as I did 1, 2 or 3 years ago. 

3 years ago I felt like Fiverr was a great partner to have in my corner to help me grow my business.

2 years ago I felt like it was a better place to be than many other platforms I've tried, but far from perfect.

1 year ago I started to feel like it was a good tool to use with some noticeable flaws, but not a platform to throw all of my chips in with.

Lately I've been feeling more like I am lucky to still be seeing the success that I am, and the "writing is on the wall" regarding future potential over the next few years if recent trends in product rollouts and policy changes continues in the same direction.

Fiverr's fatal flaw, in my opinion, is that it does not treat its freelancers like freelancers, and does not see itself as a tool to help freelancers. Instead Fiverr seems to assume that it is an employer and treats us more like employees, sucking the free out of freelance in the process. As Fiverr has raised baseline expectations for all sellers it's become clearer that they expect Fiverr to be your primary workspace and your chief focus as a businessperson. But the reality is Fiverr is far too general a freelancing platform to be the be-all-end-all foundation for the average freelancer to build their business upon. I know that for myself as a voice actor Fiverr leaves a lot to be desired in the area of licensing in particular, which has been a hurdle to trying to run my business here in a way that doesn't detract from my primary business off-site due to how broad licensing is, which simply does not complement our industry as a whole.  

Edited by texvox
  • Like 4
  • Up 5