New scam attempt (sophisticated)

visualstudios

8 minutes ago, kubracorl said:

Fiverr continues to deny any responsibility for the issue.

To be honest, Fiverr is not completely at fault. Imagine you getting scammed by some individual on Instagram — you can't just approach Instagram (or Meta) headquarters to get compensation. Fiverr didn't scam you; it was just an individual who was not affiliated with Fiverr's official staff and management in any way.

Fiverr's fault lies in their failure to fulfill their responsibilities and block these scam accounts, even after knowing that people are using their name and logo. But that won't change the fact that you were not scammed by them, and there's no way they will compensate such a huge amount.

• Like 15

Guest kubracorl
16 minutes ago, catwriter said:

You have sent the wrong dates (August 11, 2024, August 15, 2024). You have joined Fiverr in March 2024, and it's still March 2024.

Thank you, I'll fix it. I have a lot on my mind.

Guest kubracorl
12 minutes ago, rawque_gulia said:

Dürüst olmak gerekirse Fiverr tamamen hatalı değil. Instagram'da bir kişi tarafından dolandırıldığınızı hayal edin; tazminat almak için öylece Instagram (veya Meta) genel merkezine başvuramazsınız. Fiverr sizi dolandırmadı; bu sadece Fiverr'ın resmi personeli ve yönetimiyle hiçbir şekilde bağlantısı olmayan bir kişiydi.

Fiverr'ın hatası, insanların isimlerini ve logolarını kullandıklarını bilmelerine rağmen sorumluluklarını yerine getirmemeleri ve bu dolandırıcı hesapları engellemelerinde yatmaktadır. Ancak bu, onlar tarafından dolandırılmadığınız gerçeğini değiştirmeyecek ve bu kadar büyük bir tutarı telafi etmelerine imkan yok.

I am already complaining about Fiverr allowing such scammers by using their own corporate identity. Such a large and official organization should at least protect its own corporate identity. Moreover, allowing this scam through their own website is another issue and their own fault. If there were proper security measures in place, such a problem wouldn't have occurred in the first place. I believe compensation for this problem due to security vulnerabilities should be paid according to human rights. Think about it: you sign up to do business with a well-known corporate firm, but anyone, even a foreigner, can easily use the company's logo and name to take money from people, and they can do it easily through the company's official website! When you explain the situation to the company, the responsibility falls on you, just like someone stealing your wallet and claiming to be the police, and then the actual police telling you it's your problem! This shows that the company refuses to take responsibility and tries to evade it. And I am not the only one who is the sole victim of this situation. If you research Fiverr complaints, you will find many people have faced similar issues.

The message to CS also says "the moment I joined the platform a scammer contacted me through your messaging system". Maybe it was after the gig was created rather than immediately after joining.

Your Fiverr profile page source says "joinedAt":1709890192".  This page: https://www.unixtimestamp.com/

says 1709890192 Unix timestamp is Fri Mar 08 2024 (or maybe that could be about a day out depending on your/Fiverr's timezone). So maybe you initially joined on 8th March 2024, but probably created the gig (or it showed in the Fiver system publicly) on the 11th March 2024 and it was 11th March 2024 at 16:14 your time when you received the first phishing message appearing to be from "Fiverr Support" (because Fiverr allows/allowed anyone to change their display name to "Fiverr Support").

You're probably best going to somewhere that gives legal advice to get a proper answer.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 13
  • Up 3

24 minutes ago, kubracorl said:

Moreover, allowing this scam through their own website is another issue and their own fault. If there were proper security measures in place, such a problem wouldn't have occurred in the first place.

I'm not so sure about this.

On Facebook, many Page owners get a message from someone pretending to be Facebook staff, claiming that their Page is in danger, they should click a certain link, and so on, and so forth... Another phishing scam. I have no doubt that there are people who fall for it and lose money (or even have their identity stolen), and I'm pretty certain that Facebook doesn't compensate them.

• Like 13
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 4

Guest kubracorl
36 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

The message to CS also says "the moment I joined the platform a scammer contacted me through your messaging system". Maybe it was after the gig was created rather than immediately after joining.

Your Fiverr profile page source says "joinedAt":1709890192".  This page: https://www.unixtimestamp.com/

says 1709890192 Unix timestamp is Fri Mar 08 2024 (or maybe that could be about a day out depending on your/Fiverr's timezone). So maybe you initially joined on 8th March 2024, but probably created the gig (or it showed in the Fiver system publicly) on the 11th March 2024 and it was 11th March 2024 at 16:14 your time when you received the first phishing message appearing to be from "Fiverr Support" (because Fiverr allows/allowed anyone to change their display name to "Fiverr Support").

You're probably best going to somewhere that gives legal advice to get a proper answer.

Yes, I created my platform membership on March 8th, but I published my first gigs on March 11th. The scammer contacted me immediately after publishing the gigs, and the way they contacted me was "Welcome, Fiverr support team...". They probably have a system that sends notifications.

Guest kubracorl
35 minutes ago, catwriter said:

I'm not so sure about this.

On Facebook, many Page owners get a message from someone pretending to be Facebook staff, claiming that their Page is in danger, they should click a certain link, and so on, and so forth... Another phishing scam. I have no doubt that there are people who fall for it and lose money (or even have their identity stolen), and I'm pretty certain that Facebook doesn't compensate them.

While scammers on Facebook may try to deceive people by claiming that their "Facebook account is at risk", they definitely cannot use Facebook's own identity. This is because Meta has its own identity verification system, where each account can verify its own identity. This also applies to Twitter and Instagram. Otherwise, government agencies, large companies, or celebrities would not be able to use social media without verifying their identities. In fact, Elon Musk even faced many problems on Twitter due to identity verification issues.

You're very upset, I get it. The first time I fell for a deception that cost me the value of more than a paycheck, I was mad too. I was mad at the person who tricked me, I was mad at the middleman who made the duplicity possible, and I was mad at myself for falling for it. Thinking about it still makes me upset, years later. 

However: once burned twice shy. It was a very important life lesson for me. Expensive, but important. Do I wish I could have gotten my money back? YES. But it was my own fault for falling for the trick. 

That said, you're not the only person who thinks Fiverr needs to introduce some form of verification upon signup, and some barrier to entry. 

• Like 12
  • Up 7

On 3/16/2024 at 9:10 AM, kubracorl said:

This is because Meta has its own identity verification system, where each account can verify its own identity.

And there's a little check mark showing that the person has verified their identity.

On Fiverr, when the inbox message is coming from real Fiverr staff, there's a little mark next to their username, showing that they are who they say they are.

Here's an example (the little green mark). Did the user who scammed you have that little green mark? 

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 15.15.12.png

Edited by catwriter
  • Like 34
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, catwriter said:

And there's a little check mark showing that the person has verified their identity.

The scammer put "Fiverr" text (not "Fi") in a green circle in their profile image which shows next to each message.

The "Fi" in green also appears in the profile image. It did seem to put it right at the top of the inbox on the right of the name (which seemed different to others) but it's not doing that now for me. One staff account has the profile image with the circle in black rather than green (but it doesn't show that on each message from them).

Fiverr could put an icon next to the username (like they put the crown next to Fiverr select users) but that wouldn't be enough if they didn't do more to tell new users about it before they could get scam phishing messages.

But they could at least put "This is not Fiverr staff or Fiverr" in messages any time a username or display name contains "Fiverr" as well as scan the message text for things like "This is the Fiverr support team".

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 12
  • Up 1

Im new here scanned the QR code on it 😞 it sent me to an all black page that said "forbidden". I froze my bank card and hope thats that and theres not more to it. I didnt click on the download link. 

A bit worried. 

Edited by maarcstudio
  • Like 14

I've just had this happen to me - had a message from an alleged purchaser with a QR code attached, saying Fiverr now need to verify my card, didn't think anything of it, asked me to approve a payment of £0, which I did then a request to approve a payment of £496, such a SCAM

• Like 13
  • Sad 1
  • Congrats! 1

Damn! I just had that issue. I was so closed to get scammed!!! Luckily i refused my bank notification when i saw the amout (500 euros!).

Card verification should't exceed 1 euro. 

I also found their message too much threatening and pushy. 

I should have realised that fiverr is just a standard account. For instance my scammer just created the account that Month:

image.png.117491e64da6e0c4520e052555502c42.png

Edited by nordinerajaoui
  • Like 11
  • Up 2

On 3/18/2024 at 4:12 PM, nickgarnett732 said:

saying Fiverr now need to verify my card, didn't think anything of it, asked me to approve a payment of £0, which I did then a request...

If you entered your card details on their fake site they might have your main card details though still. It could be worth speaking to your bank about it (maybe putting a hold on the card if so?).

• Like 10
  • Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I am new to Fiverr and I am wondering if anyone can an answer a query I have about a potential purchase of a gig?  

I have received a message from someone saying their payment did not go through, and they want me to scan a QR code they sent for us to continue with the purchase.  I have attached the message below.  I haven't had any sales and why would a QR code be involved?   

Is this a scam or genuine? 

Thanks,

Ben

Screenshot2024-04-01at15_05_10.png.ebbb93cf7ebf5ab25066e95385bdb480.png

Screenshot2024-04-01at15_11_21.png.fbaf6d58eac8d515a3d50f772490e55d.png

Screenshot2024-04-01at15_11_27.png.2cfbd862202f75d85d241aca32a4ddbe.png

• Like 4
  • Up 2

they try everything:

I am interested in your services. You are one of the few who make your prоduct thе bоst. But when you purchase your service, your еmаil address is requested. I will send you a scrееnshot, please take a look. I also ask you to send me your еmаil addrеss as early as possible. I need your job urgently. Best regards Adam Gird

And they provide a fake screenshot:

Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 19.53.01.png

• Like 4

Is Account Verification using Credit Card info legit?

HI! I'm new to Fiverr as a seller and have just set up my account and added a gig (I am a voice over artist). I received an email from Fiverr yesterday stating that my account is on hold until it can be verified using a QC code that was included in the email. When opened it takes me to a page that asks me to enter credit card details as well as the current balance on that credit card. This seems like sensitive information to be sharing, especially when all of the verification instructions I've seen on Fiverr so far reference using IDs and photos to verify accounts - not credit cards. Is it safe to proceed using the credit card to verify my account - has anyone else been asked to verify using a credit card?

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, leandrals said:

has anyone else been asked to verify using a credit card?

These are scammers. They send QR-codes and want to steal your card info. 

Fiverr doesn't need your card for verification. 

**It would be great from Fiverr's side to solve it since this thing continue to be heard for quite a while**

Edited by vovkaslovesnyy
  • Like 10
  • Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Everytime I reach out to support and presented with Graphic that I need to verify by using the QR code attached. Several times, it didn't work and then it sent me to verification page where I needed to use my credit card to verify and all my cards were declined and I was told I need to open a REVOLUT account and then deposit $300 and then it was quickly deleted out of my account after THE SUPPORT PERSON in the text window said CLICK to verify the account. Again they asked me to deposit more money and then they would REFUND the TEST money....again they took money out. THIS IS INSANITY and NO ONE IN support with help. They again force me to use the QR code.

IS FIVERR just one big scam???

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

It sounds like you've been scammed by a website other than Fiverr. Fiverr does not work with Revolut, nor do they offer a chat for support (only tickets) and they don't use a QR code to verify as far as I know. They certainly don't ask for your credit card info. This sounds like a clear-cut phishing scam designed to make you believe it is Fiverr, when in fact, it's not. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 5

When I verified by ID account with FIverr they did not ask me for any money. It appears that you were scammed. Since this is your fault, Fiverr can do nothing about it. I suggest you contact your bank to file a dispute. 

• Like 5
  • Up 1

Hi @john_carhartnyc, sorry to read about this unfortunate experience. Please read our Terms of Service and make sure to avoid any future issues like this one, since we cannot keep you safe outside Fiverr. In case you have any additional dilemmas about this, you'll get the answers there. Hopefully, you'll be able to resolve this with your bank and reverse the transaction. Good luck 🍀

• Like 5