Strange contact messages on Telegram, is this normal?

alienone12

• 3 weeks later...

As a new seller, I open Fiverr as soon as I wake up with excitement rushing in my body at thought of there being a customer. I don't let it disappoint me when there are no orders. But at times, I see notifications which indicate that I have messages. Excitedly I open them only to find that they're one of those telegram scams. Sure, Fiverr does its jobs of getting rid of them but I can't help but be disappointed. It's been almost a week since I joined but all I ever see is yet another one of those telegram scams! Is this common? Will I ever find a genuine customer?

• Like 15
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 3

Guest hest10

Hello, everyone!

So I made a new gig yesterday, and there was already 8 people writing me only yesterday, but most of them were just spammers that tell me to go into their telegram and contact them, I've set an auto reply that says "No contacting outside of Fiverr's inbox (No whatsapp, telegram, discord, ETC)." but it still doesn't work.

I know that contacting outside of Fiverr is a violation of the TOS.

Anyone has the same problem?

Because I need to filter important and unimportant messages so I don't have to deal with these spammers.

Thank you, Ram.

Hey, you can simply report the message or mark it as spam. There's nothing much you can do really. Just respond as needed, then report it. Fiverr might catch up with all of the reports and block those types of buyers before they get the chance to spam more sellers in the future.

• Like 17
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

hi there, i am new on fivver and im selling Logo designs. There were many orders but like they wanted to contact them via Telegram. im selling also Translate and i translated 100 pages from English to German. i sent them my bank info and they "transfered" Money but i dont get it. They were like at very starting, they told me, im gonna pay nothing to join in this project, but in the End when i dont get my money, they said that i must pay 150$ and they will give me my Money, like WTF ddd, sorry. but i earned this Money. I got scammed unfortunatly. and the general reason why i am texting you is that how can i avoid this kind of situations, 

• Like 17
  • Up 2

On 6/5/2023 at 1:39 PM, enraem said:

I just finished making my profile and gigs, then I suddenly received a message! There I was excited that I might have my first job, but after reading the message I noticed that they where from Nigeria, have jumbled letters for usernames, and are asking me to contact them on telegram. I reported them... then I received 10 more messages like it.

Bruh... I'm still getting more at this moment.

When I first published my data entry gigs, I used to get similar spam messages.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Greetings everyone,

I'm a newcomer to this platform, and shortly after setting up my profile, I've been inundated with numerous requests from various accounts urging me to get in touch with them via Telegram. Are such requests permissible? Are they secure, or do they signify spam and fraudulent accounts?

Moving on to my second inquiry, how can I ascertain the authenticity and reliability of a potential buyer?

Kindly provide your responses in the English language.

Thank you.

• Like 9

Hey! Report and block these messages, because it's 100% scam and against the Fiverr rules. Those kinds of messages are usually blocked automatically by the system after a short time. You can check those messages again - it's a high possibility that it will be blocked already. Talking about legit buyers, they will never ask you to go outside the platform and will provide all order requirements on Fiverr.

Edited by ersorrow
  • Like 9

Knocking a freelancer for getting a desired service from Fiver to Telegram is becoming a common practice now-a-days. I don't get the logic behind this that why some clients don't understand the rule that it's not accepted to deal with freelancers in a 3rd party website re-directing from here?

367772495_254342350888173_1188113538659421832_n.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

It's a scam. The second you are off the site they make you pay them a fee to 'employ' you or some other bull (I never interacted with them but I've seen it all over the net. They target everyone basically... I guess it's worth it for them because for every, say, 500 messages they might send out someone falls for it? $100 bucks for basically nothing (or less or more money, I'm not sure) sounds good, right?

(It doesn't, it's pretty much illegal and nasty. But some people are desperate (or meanl enough to scam others for a living.)

• Like 22
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, s_akram said:

why some clients don't understand the rule that it's not accepted to deal with freelancers in a 3rd party website re-directing from here?

Oh, they do get it. They know they're breaking the rules, and they don't care. All they want to do is to scam you.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2023 at 7:50 AM, donnovan86 said:

Telegram-related stuff is a scam most of the time. So ignore that. 

On 8/21/2023 at 8:45 AM, catwriter said:

Oh, they do get it. They know they're breaking the rules, and they don't care. All they want to do is to scam you.

But what they actually get from it? Even Fiver blocks communicating with them instantly, then how they actually scam? Oh may be via that address given by them in the first message. 

On 8/21/2023 at 11:02 AM, noah_designer said:

Been there!

Don't think Fiver is not safe anymore it's been twice I've faced this damn issue here in Fiverr fortunately didn't proceed further.

• Like 15
  • Up 1

4 hours ago, s_akram said:

Even Fiver blocks communicating with them instantly, then how they actually scam?

Fiverr doesn't, it's people marking it as Spam that signals to Fiverr that message is not ok and then they block it. Buuut, not everyone will mark as spam and as always, some people fall for it.

• Like 21

On 8/21/2023 at 3:06 PM, s_akram said:

But what they actually get from it?

Sometimes money, sometimes it's identity theft. Or both.

On 8/21/2023 at 3:06 PM, s_akram said:

Oh may be via that address given by them in the first message. 

Yes. Many sellers don't bother to read Fiverr's Terms of Service or the warning that appears at the top of every first message you get from someone, or they ignore the rules, or are simply desperate. Or their English is so bad they're unable to understand the rules (and even simple warnings). So they contact that person via Telegram or wherever, and get scammed.

On 8/21/2023 at 3:07 PM, s_akram said:

Don't think Fiver is not safe anymore it's been twice I've faced this damn issue here in Fiverr fortunately didn't proceed further.

Well it's certainly not safe if you choose to ignore the terms you have agreed to plus the warning, and decide to break the rules and accept to communicate outside of Fiverr. 

• Like 16
  • Up 4

13 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

Fiverr doesn't, it's people marking it as Spam that signals to Fiverr that message is not ok and then they block it. Buuut, not everyone will mark as spam and as always, some people fall for it.

I'm lucky for twice then!!

• Like 15

On 8/23/2023 at 11:41 AM, s_akram said:

Seems like this fool scammers forget one simple thing that is there is another life after death.

Not everyone believes that. And even if they do believe that, they still want money in this life.

On 8/23/2023 at 11:41 AM, s_akram said:

So they think that they are over smart and we freelancers are fool as they think.

There are freelancers who fall for it, so it's worth it to the scammers.

• Like 16
  • Up 1