Fiverr turned 12!

frank_d

11 minutes ago, catwriter said:

It was just $5... They didn't have to trust us, all they had to lose was $5.

That’s true. But in my mind the platform was split into two categories: the fun, I’ll do crazy sh*t for $5 camp and then we also had freelancers trying to offer an actual service. With 0 tools and a $5 cap.

So yes, people who came here looking for a logo for $5, were obviously not risking a great deal but they were still looking for something legitimate they could use on their business.

That’s what I think was crazy looking back. How Fiverr started off as a “do anything for a fiver” website, then evolved into one that now has agency level services costing $XX,XXX.  🙂 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, frank_d said:

Anyone remember “express gigs” and that at one point “haz video” was an actual search filter? 😂 

It’s actually miraculous how anyone made any money on the platform and how buyers actually trusted us to produce any work!

FB52A8B9-BC62-4A43-87CE-CF37CC65BE14.jpeg

I hereby take back every negative thing I have ever said about how the site is currently put together.

This is 'knockoff Cracker Barrel truck stop diner menu' bad.

8 minutes ago, terrygrantvo said:

I hereby take back every negative thing I have ever said about how the site is currently put together.

This is 'knockoff Cracker Barrel truck stop diner menu' bad.

I feel like Fiverr should take note of who was a seller back in the Fiverr 1.0 days and offer them free counseling for life. 🙂

I remember selling my first $100 animation gig, and having the buyer purchase my gig 20 times, then having to respond to messages across all orders -buyer kept replying on any order they felt like it- then I had to deliver across all 20 orders and then hope I don’t get 20 “thumbs down” reviews. (remember those?)

I think I am having flashbacks. 

5 minutes ago, frank_d said:

I remember selling my first $100 animation gig, and having the buyer purchase my gig 20 times, then having to respond to messages across all orders -buyer kept replying on any order they felt like it- then I had to deliver across all 20 orders and then hope I don’t get 20 “thumbs down” reviews. (remember those?)

Ah, the good old days. 

That being said there are still plenty of things that can still be improved. I've been trying to connect with everyone I can from Fiverr or here on the forum to try and make this a reality....

Hopefully it will, because this affects writers in particular, although honestly it will be a great fit for pretty much any category, it allows seller to better customize what orders they want to receive and whether they are ok with gig multiples. Multiples are ok for people that deliver the same file to every client (like an ebook), but certainly not for someone that actually does everything manually and doesn't outsource. I didn't outsource for more than 8 years of Fiverr, and I won't start now lol.

Frank, if you can show people do want this kind of feature to someone from Fiverr, I would appreciate, and I am sure other forum members (as you can see from the link) would appreciate it as well. This issue affects quite a lot of writers but as I said, it's a great implementation for pretty much any category. I am sorry for disturbing you and going a bit off-topic here.  

3 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Ah, the good old days. 

That being said there are still plenty of things that can still be improved. I've been trying to connect with everyone I can from Fiverr or here on the forum to try and make this a reality....

Hopefully it will, because this affects writers in particular, although honestly it will be a great fit for pretty much any category, it allows seller to better customize what orders they want to receive and whether they are ok with gig multiples. Multiples are ok for people that deliver the same file to every client (like an ebook), but certainly not for someone that actually does everything manually and doesn't outsource. I didn't outsource for more than 8 years of Fiverr, and I won't start now lol.

Frank, if you can show people do want this kind of feature to someone from Fiverr, I would appreciate, and I am sure other forum members (as you can see from the link) would appreciate it as well. This issue affects quite a lot of writers but as I said, it's a great implementation for pretty much any category. I am sorry for disturbing you and going a bit off-topic here.  

Sure, I can share this with the person in charge of the seller growth program.

13 hours ago, catwriter said:

It was just $5... They didn't have to trust us, all they had to lose was $5.

Although the ends some people go to, to not have to pay for a sample, or the time some waste on price discussions, seller hopping to piece together whole projects from scraps (must be quilting enthusiasts), unrighteous chargebacks, and the like, seems to show that to quite a few, $5 (ah, well, $7 now, with fees, unlike the good old days) are indeed a big deal, or some point of honour amongst thieves, or something 😉

In any case, the "only $5" setup was a brilliant idea, even if we have to endure the repetitive "Why isn't everything $5 on a platform named Fiverr" forum threads. Seem to have become fewer, by the way, or they are easier to not notice in all the forum white noise now.

16 hours ago, frank_d said:

I feel like Fiverr should take note of who was a seller back in the Fiverr 1.0 days and offer them free counseling for life.

That would be nice! Haha.

I joined in December of 2010, so I'm one of the Fiverr Ancients, I guess. I remember those amazing (cough) home page designs. I remember the people offering to paint someone's URL on their forehead and wander around town for an hour. Back then, I charged $5 for a 600-word article. Yikes.

I'll sing the "and many more!" part of the Happy Birthday song extra loud. I wouldn't be where I am today in my freelance career without Fiverr.

I started selling on Fiverr during the end of July 2020. I think I remember seeing or hearing about Fiverr back in the day, but I saw the $5 prices and it was a turn-off. Plus, I was in the military at the time, so I didn't need the extra stress of busting my butt for $5.

Currently, I'm enjoying the highs and lows of the freelance experience. It's inspirational to see all of you veterans who have come so far on this platform. I'm glad that you share your mistakes and experiences with everyone. I still have so much to learn, but it's been fun, and I am grateful to have Fiverr as a base for my freelance career. 

Oh, dag! Where are my manners? Happy birthday, Fiverr!

Looking at the types of fun and quirky gigs that were offered and promoted over a decade ago, it seems I've already missed my potential heyday. 😅 

Oh well. Instead of being an eccentric seller in a sea of fellow oddballs, I can now be an oddball in a sea of straight laced sellers. 🤪

On 2/19/2022 at 3:28 PM, frank_d said:

Anyone remember “express gigs” and that at one point “haz video” was an actual search filter? 😂 

It’s actually miraculous how anyone made any money on the platform and how buyers actually trusted us to produce any work!

FB52A8B9-BC62-4A43-87CE-CF37CC65BE14.jpeg

Ah, the memories. Does anyone have any memorable experiences of classic Buyers Request?

Archived