Allow Fiverr Username Change

On 4/17/2022 at 1:54 PM, dananjaya_95 said:

Yes, it's a great suggestion because when the business is growing we have to think more about branding, specially when working as a company/group. I hope these things will be addressed by Fiverr soon.

You mean people will be able to change the name and make it similar to a successful seller just to pry off their success and gain sales? HELL NO. If you care about branding, you think 10 or 20 times before you create an account. There are way more pressing issues on Fiverr like buyers being able to order up to 20x times your gig packages, which is a real problem and concern. Changing the username is not a problem.

• Like 18
  • Up 6

3 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

You mean people will be able to change the name and make it similar to a successful seller just to pry off their success and gain sales?

A while back, one male user with a hairstyle and beard similar to @Frank_d had a profile image of himself with a green background. The result was he looked very much like Frank. So, if unscrupulous sellers are already copying the profile images of successful sellers, think what they would do if they could change their names! 

• Like 20
  • Up 1

If you look at the URL when you are on your profile, you will see that your username is in it. 

Having worked with hundreds of customers, my Fiverr account has been credited on different social media posts, websites, game credits, etc. Changing the username in the URL would make all those links redundant and making the customer's site look unprofessional if the link doesn't take you where it should.

From a technical point of view, this isn't viable.

• Like 18
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, sakinur_rahman said:

I totally agree with you. I hope the Fiverr team will observe this topic and comments and will take action.

Take action on what? 

There's nothing to change. Allowing people to change their username would lead to a lot of abuse. People can easily change their username and make it similar to best selling, reputable users here and try to impersonate them. For that alone, allowing you to change the username is a big no-no. Just create the right username from the start. This is not a problem...

• Like 16
  • Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 5:32 PM, donnovan86 said:

People can easily change their username and make it similar to best selling, reputable users here and try to impersonate them.

How would allowing users to change their username increase the ability for people to impersonate others? If someone wanted to do that, they'd create a new account? If you're that worried about scamming becoming a bigger problem, then there'd, of course, be a "Past usernames" tab on sellers' profiles.

On 4/19/2022 at 5:32 PM, donnovan86 said:

Just create the right username from the start. This is not a problem...

As others have previously mentioned, people might want to rebrand. I, for example, created my Fiverr profile with the intent of using it as a buyer. Therefore my username does not represent my expertise, and it also has a spelling mistake. I didn't care too much when I first made it, but being a now successful seller, it has become a problem.

• Like 17
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, xpringke said:

How would allowing users to change their username increase the ability for people to impersonate others? If someone wanted to do that, they'd create a new account? If you're that worried about scamming becoming a bigger problem, then there'd, of course, be a "Past usernames" tab on sellers' profiles.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:32 PM, donnovan86 said:

Well doing this would allow anyone to change their profile photo and make it similar to mine. It would also allow them to change their name to donnovan866 or whatever. Few people would notice, especially if the seller duplicates my gigs and images, descriptions, etc. So come on.. There's a much much higher chance for impersonators to appear if this is allowed. 

1 hour ago, xpringke said:

As others have previously mentioned, people might want to rebrand. I, for example, created my Fiverr profile with the intent of using it as a buyer. Therefore my username does not represent my expertise, and it also has a spelling mistake. I didn't care too much when I first made it, but being a now successful seller, it has become a problem.

You can easily close the account with Fiverr's notice and create a fresh one for selling. Rebranding is possible already, you can change your profile picture, gig images, gig content, etc. I already reported multiple impersonators even without this "idea", I can only imagine how many people would take advantage of this. Don't get me wrong, I understand it might help a few people like you, but generally it would just be an idea prone to abuse. Just like not taking 20% on tips. Most people would just do $5 orders and pay via tips to avoid any taxes or fees. When people are given an opportunity to take advantage of, they usually do.  

• Like 16
  • Up 1

On 4/24/2022 at 5:42 PM, donnovan86 said:

Well doing this would allow anyone to change their profile photo and make it similar to mine. It would also allow them to change their name to donnovan866 or whatever. Few people would notice, especially if the seller duplicates my gigs and images, descriptions, etc. So come on.. There's a much much higher chance for impersonators to appear if this is allowed. 

You just repeated what you said in your previous post? Again, people can already do this. And as I mentioned previously, there'd, of course, be a "Past usernames" tab to prevent this. You forgot that a seller's credibility doesn't just depend on names and branding, but also on reviews. I doubt that an impersonator would get positive reviews, and therefore they wouldn't be trustworthy. Successfully impersonating a successful person on Fiverr is already difficult, and I doubt that allowing username changes would make it easier with the correct measures.

On 4/24/2022 at 5:42 PM, donnovan86 said:

You can easily close the account with Fiverr's notice and create a fresh one for selling. Rebranding is possible already, you can change your profile picture, gig images, gig content, etc. I already reported multiple impersonators even without this "idea", I can only imagine how many people would take advantage of this. Don't get me wrong, I understand it might help a few people like you, but generally it would just be an idea prone to abuse. Just like not taking 20% on tips. Most people would just do $5 orders and pay via tips to avoid any taxes or fees. When people are given an opportunity to take advantage of, they usually do.  

Closing my account would mean losing all my reviews, losing my level 2 status, losing all my credibility, and everything I've worked on for the past few years. Unlike username changing, 20% on tips I understand since removing it would allow people to abuse the system, as you said. However, I do not see how changing your goddamn username twice a year would be that much of a problem. 

There'd not be any reason for people to want to change their usernames to impersonate someone rather than create a new account. If a seller already had good reviews and good credibility, why would they jeopardize that for the chance of getting a few extra sales and most definitely a ban? It just isn't a realistic situation and would be very rare.

• Like 11
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, xpringke said:

If a seller already had good reviews and good credibility, why would they jeopardize that for the chance of getting a few extra sales and most definitely a ban?

Simple, because they can change their name again. 

As I said, there are much more pressing issues to solve, like sellers not being able to lock their gig packages and buyers ordering up to 20x their maximum offer. That's an issue. Changing the username doesn't seem or feel like a major issue. As I said, some might need it, but most people won't, and I can see abuse a mile away, especially if you can change it multiple times within a short time period.

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 11
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donnovan86 said:

Simple, because they can change their name again. 

Well no, as most users in this thread has suggested, there'd be a large cooldown. This would prevent impersonators from switching identities too fast, and therefore making them much easier to spot and ban.

1 hour ago, donnovan86 said:

As I said, there are much more pressing issues to solve, like sellers not being able to lock their gig packages and buyers ordering up to 20x their maximum offer. That's an issue. Changing the username doesn't seem or feel like a major issue. As I said, some might need it, but most people won't, and I can see abuse a mile away, especially if you can change it multiple times within a short time period.

Of course there are more pressing issues, but this thread is specifically about username changing. I don't see how discussing this feature prevents other issues from being fixed? A lot of people have already agreed that this is a needed feature?
I still haven't gotten a realistic example of possible abuse, other than impersonation, which isn't plausible.

• Like 9
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, xpringke said:

I don't see how discussing this feature prevents other issues from being fixed?

Well people are commenting on this instead of other topics like the one I mentioned. 

49 minutes ago, xpringke said:

other than impersonation, which isn't plausible.

I already had impersonators and people copying my image, my gig descriptions and gigs many times. All were reported. Just because you didn't encounter these issues, that doesn't mean other sellers don't. 

I guess a one time change would solve the issue here, for people that want to rebrand. But even then, what if you want to rebrand after 10 years? I just don't see how this would benefit a Fiverr buyer? Wouldn't something like this confuse buyers even more? Especially people coming to the same Fiverr seller again and again.. Anyway, I don't see this beneffiting the platform in any way. This is benefficial just for sellers that rushed to create their account, never thought about their username and implications, now they regret it and want to rebrand.. 

• Like 11
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 2:17 PM, frank_d said:

I think that’s a great suggestion.

Most people when joining the platform used a very personal screen name, or something that they grew out of. So this would be a great feature actually.

Maybe they could allow a total of 2 changes in a member’s lifetime?

And we would need to apply and have some sort of check on Fiverr’s end?

(so that no one can game the system)

What about time limit instead of quantity ? I mean allow to change username in a year. like facebook do.

There may some scenarios where folks learn new abilities and eventually change their profession. So there, they may need to change it occasionally. They can't create new accounts as it is violation of fiverr's rule.

• Like 10
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, I started here with some 5$ quick gigs to earn a quick buck. I made my name "worthforcheap", but then I expanded my skillset and decided to focus on things that I'm really good at so the services I offer change and what I offered here was pretty premium. I even became a "PRO" seller, so changing the username at least once per year would be pretty dope. A lot of users start here as buyers and then switch to selling without putting it much a thought and then their profile grows. A lot of users start offering different services that don't match their original/initial profile idea. Rebranding is big for every type of business and Fiverr should allow it, I'm sure that it will help tons of sellers flesh out their profiles even more. Once per year or two total username changes should be a valid option. 

• Like 11
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a good suggestion. A lot of us picked random and weird usernames when we joined fiverr. Funny, I picked my username after a 'used to be' popular tech blog that i can no longer find on Google search result. It had 'giz' in it's name and my funny self thought it would be a good idea to use it as a prefix for my username. Many years later, It just didn't feel 'brandable' anymore.

If fiverr could come up with a way to announce the changes to our previous buyers to avoid any confusion, this could work. You have no idea how bad I want to change my username. 

I wish there was a bold warning on the sign up page that states, "If you mess up with your username, you're stuck forever!" 

• Like 9
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2022 at 4:58 PM, project_64x said:

Unfortunately, this also caused me to delete my valuable fiverr account.

I agree with the opinions of yours🤝

That was a bold step. Starting again from scratch is no joke. I hope you didn't lose all your previous repeat buyers. 

• Like 10
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

If changing username is to be allowed once by fiverr, There are also two major incidents that will occur. One is advantageous and the other is disadvantageous.

Firstly, let's talk about advantages which is we have to be modified our seller account by changing username but the worst disadvantage is spammer will getting another chance to edit username and same work will be done with another time with same seller or new one which is really worst for everyone.  I think that's why fiverr take this decision for future generations.

This is my opinion.If I make any mistake then kindly let me know by your valuable opinions.  

**Thanks in advance **

• Like 9
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1