Allow Fiverr Username Change

I think the main reason why fiverr is careful about allowing users to change their user names is to prevent abuse. In what sense?

I'm the sense that if a seller has been providing bad services, they can simply rebrand themselves as someone else and still offer the same poor services. So I guess I understand fiver in this regards. 

• Like 13
  • Up 5

I think this will be very helpful for Fiverr sellers. Because sometimes we feel the necessity of changing our username. We don't need to change it so many times but Fiverr should give us chance to change it atleast 2 or 3 times. 

• Like 11
  • Up 2

I think this is a good and timely proposal. Because, many people are indifferent about the name while opening an account and also everyone's branding changes with time. In view of this, the Fiber Authority should formulate a policy that allows a member to change his name at least twice in his lifetime.

• Like 10
  • Up 2

On 6/16/2021 at 11:17 AM, frank_d said:

I think that’s a great suggestion.

Most people when joining the platform used a very personal screen name, or something that they grew out of. So this would be a great feature actually.

Maybe they could allow a total of 2 changes in a member’s lifetime?

And we would need to apply and have some sort of check on Fiverr’s end?

(so that no one can game the system)

It is really relieving hearing this even from a mod. I believe this is one of the best and most requested features in the whole history of Fiverr.

• Like 12
  • Up 2

On 2/1/2022 at 9:56 AM, briannx said:

I think the main reason why fiverr is careful about allowing users to change their user names is to prevent abuse. In what sense?

I'm the sense that if a seller has been providing bad services, they can simply rebrand themselves as someone else and still offer the same poor services. So I guess I understand fiver in this regards. 

I agree that sellers should always be forced to be transparent about their previous dealings with buyers. However, stopping users from changing their usernames does not solve this. A seller could simply close and then re-open a new account, leaving all negative reviews behind. The answer Fiverr support gives is that the username is a "unique identifier," which pretty much means the whole website and background systems work off of it. This is not an excuse. It should be quite easy to replace the unique identifier with a number code for each user (only visible to admins), allowing for easy identification of sellers and buyers but with the option to change the username as and when. This is what 99% of companies have been doing for years, like Instagram, to name one.

• Like 12
  • Up 4

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2022 at 1:54 PM, dananjaya_95 said:

Yes, it's a great suggestion because when the business is growing we have to think more about branding, specially when working as a company/group. I hope these things will be addressed by Fiverr soon.

You mean people will be able to change the name and make it similar to a successful seller just to pry off their success and gain sales? HELL NO. If you care about branding, you think 10 or 20 times before you create an account. There are way more pressing issues on Fiverr like buyers being able to order up to 20x times your gig packages, which is a real problem and concern. Changing the username is not a problem.

• Like 4
  • Up 4

3 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

You mean people will be able to change the name and make it similar to a successful seller just to pry off their success and gain sales?

A while back, one male user with a hairstyle and beard similar to @Frank_d had a profile image of himself with a green background. The result was he looked very much like Frank. So, if unscrupulous sellers are already copying the profile images of successful sellers, think what they would do if they could change their names! 

• Like 7

If you look at the URL when you are on your profile, you will see that your username is in it. 

Having worked with hundreds of customers, my Fiverr account has been credited on different social media posts, websites, game credits, etc. Changing the username in the URL would make all those links redundant and making the customer's site look unprofessional if the link doesn't take you where it should.

From a technical point of view, this isn't viable.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sakinur_rahman said:

I totally agree with you. I hope the Fiverr team will observe this topic and comments and will take action.

Take action on what? 

There's nothing to change. Allowing people to change their username would lead to a lot of abuse. People can easily change their username and make it similar to best selling, reputable users here and try to impersonate them. For that alone, allowing you to change the username is a big no-no. Just create the right username from the start. This is not a problem...

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 5:32 PM, donnovan86 said:

People can easily change their username and make it similar to best selling, reputable users here and try to impersonate them.

How would allowing users to change their username increase the ability for people to impersonate others? If someone wanted to do that, they'd create a new account? If you're that worried about scamming becoming a bigger problem, then there'd, of course, be a "Past usernames" tab on sellers' profiles.

On 4/19/2022 at 5:32 PM, donnovan86 said:

Just create the right username from the start. This is not a problem...

As others have previously mentioned, people might want to rebrand. I, for example, created my Fiverr profile with the intent of using it as a buyer. Therefore my username does not represent my expertise, and it also has a spelling mistake. I didn't care too much when I first made it, but being a now successful seller, it has become a problem.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, xpringke said:

How would allowing users to change their username increase the ability for people to impersonate others? If someone wanted to do that, they'd create a new account? If you're that worried about scamming becoming a bigger problem, then there'd, of course, be a "Past usernames" tab on sellers' profiles.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:32 PM, donnovan86 said:

Well doing this would allow anyone to change their profile photo and make it similar to mine. It would also allow them to change their name to donnovan866 or whatever. Few people would notice, especially if the seller duplicates my gigs and images, descriptions, etc. So come on.. There's a much much higher chance for impersonators to appear if this is allowed. 

1 hour ago, xpringke said:

As others have previously mentioned, people might want to rebrand. I, for example, created my Fiverr profile with the intent of using it as a buyer. Therefore my username does not represent my expertise, and it also has a spelling mistake. I didn't care too much when I first made it, but being a now successful seller, it has become a problem.

You can easily close the account with Fiverr's notice and create a fresh one for selling. Rebranding is possible already, you can change your profile picture, gig images, gig content, etc. I already reported multiple impersonators even without this "idea", I can only imagine how many people would take advantage of this. Don't get me wrong, I understand it might help a few people like you, but generally it would just be an idea prone to abuse. Just like not taking 20% on tips. Most people would just do $5 orders and pay via tips to avoid any taxes or fees. When people are given an opportunity to take advantage of, they usually do.  

• Like 2