Allow Fiverr Username Change

I started Fiverr with the intention of doing VoiceOver work, but ended up doing something else. I understand why name changes aren't allowed. They're important for establishing a chain of trust, and the unfettered ability to change a username may result in widespread fraud and abuse. 

In my case, I'd be happy to wait until I reach Level Two status and pay a fee to change it. By that time, It's my hope that I'd be trusted enough to do the fight thing for myself, the platform, and most importantly, the buyers. 

Edited by bigbeardvo
  • Like 35
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 9:42 AM, zelamedia said:

I hope that Fiveer realizes that Businesses evolve and change and with that also most of the time the Branding of the person/company, and not to being able to change a Username I think is a bad design decision, If Fiverr is afraid of too often changes then just allow it every few months and notify all past customers that the name has changed, I don’t see any problem with this. The only static thing of us should be our ID in the Fiverr Database and not our Usernames.

Yes you're right

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

I think the main reason why fiverr is careful about allowing users to change their user names is to prevent abuse. In what sense?

I'm the sense that if a seller has been providing bad services, they can simply rebrand themselves as someone else and still offer the same poor services. So I guess I understand fiver in this regards. 

• Like 27
  • Confused 1
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 4

I think this is a good and timely proposal. Because, many people are indifferent about the name while opening an account and also everyone's branding changes with time. In view of this, the Fiber Authority should formulate a policy that allows a member to change his name at least twice in his lifetime.

• Like 23
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2

On 6/16/2021 at 11:17 AM, frank_d said:

I think that’s a great suggestion.

Most people when joining the platform used a very personal screen name, or something that they grew out of. So this would be a great feature actually.

Maybe they could allow a total of 2 changes in a member’s lifetime?

And we would need to apply and have some sort of check on Fiverr’s end?

(so that no one can game the system)

It is really relieving hearing this even from a mod. I believe this is one of the best and most requested features in the whole history of Fiverr.

• Like 25
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2

On 2/1/2022 at 9:56 AM, briannx said:

I think the main reason why fiverr is careful about allowing users to change their user names is to prevent abuse. In what sense?

I'm the sense that if a seller has been providing bad services, they can simply rebrand themselves as someone else and still offer the same poor services. So I guess I understand fiver in this regards. 

I agree that sellers should always be forced to be transparent about their previous dealings with buyers. However, stopping users from changing their usernames does not solve this. A seller could simply close and then re-open a new account, leaving all negative reviews behind. The answer Fiverr support gives is that the username is a "unique identifier," which pretty much means the whole website and background systems work off of it. This is not an excuse. It should be quite easy to replace the unique identifier with a number code for each user (only visible to admins), allowing for easy identification of sellers and buyers but with the option to change the username as and when. This is what 99% of companies have been doing for years, like Instagram, to name one.

• Like 26
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 4

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that Fiveer realizes that Businesses evolve and change and with that also most of the time the Branding of the person/company, and not to being able to change a Username I think is a bad design decision, If Fiverr is afraid of too often changes then just allow it every few months and notify all past customers that the name has changed, I don’t see any problem...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...