Jump to content

Allow Fiverr Username Change


Recommended Posts

I think that’s a great suggestion.

Most people when joining the platform used a very personal screen name, or something that they grew out of. So this would be a great feature actually.

Maybe they could allow a total of 2 changes in a member’s lifetime?

And we would need to apply and have some sort of check on Fiverr’s end?

(so that no one can game the system)

  • Like 41
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Fiverr wants to keep an identity for each people like what we do with important accounts like bank accounts or social security numbers. They think that it might increase the credibility.
Or they might have any background algorithm which will be working easily with a single unchangeable username.

  • Like 24
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that’s a great suggestion.

Most people when joining the platform used a very personal screen name, or something that they grew out of. So this would be a great feature actually.

Maybe they could allow a total of 2 changes in a member’s lifetime?

And we would need to apply and have some sort of check on Fiverr’s end?

(so that no one can game the system)

@frank_d I agree! A total of 2-3 changes of usernames would be flexible for many Fiverr sellers, and having Fiverr doing checks for security is always a good measure.

  • Like 22
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 10:40 AM, zelamedia said:

I agree 2 or 3 changes are totally ok and it would solve this issue.

A wonderful observation here and I also agree with you all. For instance, a Visual designer who has been running solo but now has team would love to upgrade his brand name to something that will make his team a good sense of belonging. 

I Believe fiverr admin will have a look on this idea.

  • Like 22
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

if it will be allowed, I will be very happy with my user name because when I was creating my first profile user name by mistakenly I have typed "msbpro1" instated of "mhbpro1"  here "mhb" stand for Monir Hossain Bhuiyan but as a fresher I am unhappy for that mistake,,,, I would like to change my user name once more time for whole life.

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2021 at 2:47 PM, frank_d said:

I think that’s a great suggestion.

Most people when joining the platform used a very personal screen name, or something that they grew out of. So this would be a great feature actually.

Maybe they could allow a total of 2 changes in a member’s lifetime?

And we would need to apply and have some sort of check on Fiverr’s end?

(so that no one can game the system)

yes i did the same mistake..its worth if fiverr consider on this.

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

The username is final. You chose it yourself when you created your account. Why would you want to change it? You need to think hard before you submit the username, as it's final. Plus, it would be unprofessional to change the username, as people would just believe you are someone else. What if I changed my current username to happyflower3025? Customers would be confused and they would see me as unprofessional. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

Plus, it would be unprofessional to change the username, as people would just believe you are someone else. What if I changed my current username to happyflower3025? Customers would be confused and they would see me as unprofessional. 

Ever heard of Re-branding? We also don't intend to change our name to some random nouns with numbers name like happyflower3025, we want to change our name to other professional name that may change my branding and whole theme of my page. As the Original Poster said:

 

On 6/16/2021 at 11:42 AM, zelamedia said:

Businesses evolve and change and with that also most of the time the Branding of the person/company, and not to being able to change a Username I think is a bad design decision, If Fiverr is afraid of too often changes then just allow it every few months and notify all past customers that the name has changed, I don’t see any problem with this. The only static thing of us should be our ID in the Fiverr Database and not our Usernames.

Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean others too.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ju1design said:

Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean others too.

Or you just think properly from the beginning and choose the right name.  🙂

As I said, if you do rebrand, old reviews will mention your old name and it will be confusing for new buyers. That's why there's no name change. Anyway, while it does hurt people that rebrand themselves... the thing is, a lot of people would manipulate the system and change their name often, trying to copy the name of succesful sellers and then include an asterisk, line or whatever at the name of that seller. I had many impersonators and people copying my gigs, so I can definitely see how the name change would be manipulated. 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

old reviews will mention your old name and it will be confusing for new buyers.

When we ask for a feature to allow username to change, we mean it universally. No any past name left in the site. And to reduce confusion, we can let the buyer know that we've changed our name maybe by giving notification or include it in our profile "previously (past name)". And I believe that there is a way to make it so that no one can use used username.

 

5 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

the thing is, a lot of people would manipulate the system and change their name often, trying to copy the name of succesful sellers and then include an asterisk,

If you read previous comments on this topic, they are talking about limiting the maximum amount of name changing (2-3 maximum), even the mods themselves.

 

5 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

I had many impersonators and people copying my gigs, so I can definitely see how the name change would be manipulated. 

Well, of course we can not get rid of the fact that there might be some people who use this feature with negative intend, but I believe it will bring more goods than bads. And we can always report those who prioritize in cheating.

 

5 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

Or you just think properly from the beginning and choose the right name.

What I see "right" as a zero experience seller in Fiverr might be different with what I see right after some months of experience selling in Fiverr. You may be the seller that doesn't have any concerns with your name for years and I'm happy for that. But for my case, and maybe for some other sellers too, this can be a way for me to be more comfortable selling in Fiverr with an Identity I wish to be.

 

note: pardon my grammar since I'm not a native speaker and still is learning.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ju1design said:

Well, of course we can not get rid of the fact that there might be some people who use this feature with negative intend, but I believe it will bring more goods than bads. And we can always report those who prioritize in cheating.

 

Fiverr won't be able to catch them all.

 

19 hours ago, ju1design said:

When we ask for a feature to allow username to change, we mean it universally. No any past name left in the site. And to reduce confusion, we can let the buyer know that we've changed our name maybe by giving notification or include it in our profile "previously (past name)". And I believe that there is a way to make it so that no one can use used username.

 

It's not a used name if you add a few letters to it. I had a lot of people impersonate me here and probably many that I didn't find, so I for one don't agree with username changes. Granted, people like you and others would need it. But on the other hand, there will be thousands more that would use it for bad things. So.. it would do more harm than good. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

A valuable suggestion. One that I've been making since 2017... I even contacted the Fiverr Customer Support about it several years prior. 

Had no luck then. However, perhaps quite a large number of Sellers interested in this would persuade the Fiverr's decision makers to consider this suggestion.

It would definitely be a great addition to the platform and an amazing feature to have at disposal. 

Kudos to the OP for suggesting!

Edited by richardbloch
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know so many peoples want to change their user names on Fiverr for so many reasons.

The most common is to match their branding name or to create a good SEO-friendly user name.

Even I know someone there is trying to hide them by changing their user name because people know their user name and can get their information about them.😉

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2021 at 5:42 AM, zelamedia said:

I hope that Fiveer realizes that Businesses evolve and change and with that also most of the time the Branding of the person/company, and not to being able to change a Username I think is a bad design decision, If Fiverr is afraid of too often changes then just allow it every few months and notify all past customers that the name has changed, I don’t see any problem with this. The only static thing of us should be our ID in the Fiverr Database and not our Usernames.

I think this is the most important thing that Fiverr should allow us to do only one time or twice. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started Fiverr with the intention of doing VoiceOver work, but ended up doing something else. I understand why name changes aren't allowed. They're important for establishing a chain of trust, and the unfettered ability to change a username may result in widespread fraud and abuse. 

In my case, I'd be happy to wait until I reach Level Two status and pay a fee to change it. By that time, It's my hope that I'd be trusted enough to do the fight thing for myself, the platform, and most importantly, the buyers. 

Edited by bigbeardvo
  • Like 2
  • Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2021 at 9:42 AM, zelamedia said:

I hope that Fiveer realizes that Businesses evolve and change and with that also most of the time the Branding of the person/company, and not to being able to change a Username I think is a bad design decision, If Fiverr is afraid of too often changes then just allow it every few months and notify all past customers that the name has changed, I don’t see any problem with this. The only static thing of us should be our ID in the Fiverr Database and not our Usernames.

Yes you're right

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...