The thread where we talk about your process

damooch916

2021 Ferris remake

Wait!

We mustn’t throw such violent thoughts into space. It’s relativity. It’s mutant manifestation. Sometimes, a wish is the chime heard on the wind. Depending on the listener - that wish may come true. Depending on the wind, it can be brutal.

Do you realize what sort of disorganized, fragmentia could emerge by remaking Ferris Bueller?

Ferris Bueller is the guardian to the cosmic portal. A teenage movie about delinquency with a moral center and grade - A humanity? That’s not a movie. That’s a miracle produced by the universe, sent here to protect us from ourselves. An audio/video ancient scroll, translated into 80’s lingo, complete with a modernized monastic chant:

(Bow Bow chick … chick-a-chick ahhhhh)

Ferris is a modern translation of Fergus. Fergus in Irish culture can be traced to Fearghuis (or Feargus) a giant appearing with mortals as a protector. Some believe him to be a spirit - or God- protecting the realm for those that share his story. His forms have included a lengthy run as protector and king of Ulster. Sworn to always protect - until he was replaced. Needless to say … they weren’t so protected after that.

(There’s also a lot of “Lengthy” information on the size of his … let’s call it “Manhood.” Like, an uncomfortable amount of info. Like… who was asking to this extent?)

By now, I’m sure you’ve made the connection. In its current form, “Ferris Bueller’s Day off” is our protector of this realm. Remaking it would act as a symbolic “replacement” ceremony, causing the realm to be totally susceptible to all sorts of badness.

I ask you, “in the name of O’ Fearghuis, where does it stop?

We, the small and pitiful of this fleshly tribe, have already tempted the fates by remaking Psycho.

(Pause Scene: Seriously, does anybody remember that? The time that Gus Van Zant lost his ever loving mind, got drunk while watching “Swingers” and thought, “This loud kid would make an amazing Norman Bates?” Was that a fever dream?)

It’s a commonly known fact that ideological and mythological deities loath the remake. We’re bending the spatial and temporal dimensions by eroding the ecosystem of preservation currently provided to us by such diverse and complex beings.

Rumor has it, upon seeing the live action remake of “Dumbo,” Perun, Slavic God of Sky, returned to the Pantheon and denounced Polytheism. Denounced it! Reason cited?

“There’s no amount of deities that can undo this dumpster pile. I’m out.”

Great! So let’s hope the sky doesn’t need tending to.

Pangu, the Chinese horned beast that came into existence from the same egg that birthed the universe watched thirty minutes of the “Carrie” remake and immediately posed the primordial existential question. He posed it directly to the Jade Emperor! The actual inventor of “something.” Who was all like, “because I said so.”

Do you see the consequences of these actions? Remakes aren’t just bad movies, they’re a declaration of a divinity lost. It’s humans run amuck.

Our muck runneth over.

Please, please never suggest, even in the most hypothetical and passive sense, that “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” could ever be remade.

But, if it pleases the God’s, I’d definitely listen to a sequel pitch.

I’m with him ^

Maybe not as mentally magnificently but I agree that Ferris is not one that should be remade. The Footloose remake worked. The Valley Girl remake barely did (actually it was p poor) but the girls thought it was ok. It sure wasn’t no Pretty In Pink.

Ferris is too unique to remake and have any way to equal, let alone add to it. Esp seeing whoever remade it would not be able to help but try to make it modern and that would send it the way of Post Break (that movie that probably single-handedly caused Patrick Swayze to die).

🙂

• Like 1

In this thread we discuss your process.

Your freelance process, not your Netflix selection procedure or your mating ritual.

Although… your mating ritual is bound to be funnier. Alright, let me update the thread topic:

The thread where we talk about your process and maybe mating rituals (if they’re weird, like bringing a miniature karaoke machine with you everywhere you go, because you do a wicked Steven Tyler impression and you’re the kinda person who says things like, “chicks dig air guitar”)

No. I’ve re-decided. Let’s keep it strictly to your freelance process.

As a songwriter, my freelance career and my in person - pro writing career can look very different. In person, I’m working with an artist or production team who’s body of work is the launching pad of our new artistic pursuits. It’s my job to factor in their career trajectory, what they’ve said previously, what they haven’t said and what portion of those statements (melodically and philosophically) have to remain in place to retain an audience’s interest. Then I’m taxed with moving the needle. This is an example of contracted work - and it’s entirely different than staff writing, which has its own process.

None of these metrics may apply to freelancing.

But there are similarities. So the initial process remains the same:

1. Get coffee.

2. listen to A-Ha’s “Take on Me” and convince myself that a thread of inspiration exists between this new country artist I’m writing for and my having listened to “take on me.” Otherwise, it’s just me dancing around my kitchen to “take on me.” I prefer to see it as “gathering information.”

3. Ask my new client every single question that could ever be asked, ever. I want to know every thing about anything that they have ever even dreamed that a song could accomplish. When I set out to write that song, I want to be so familiar with their headspace that their voice is paying rent in my imagination.

4. I get more coffee.

This is my initial process (give or take 400 other intricate things happening that actually speak to getting work done).

I’d like to know your process.

Tell me:

• What you do. The main thing.
  • Where you start
  • What you need to launch

As if I make the same bread everyday!?

Well, thanks a million for the mention. It’s midnight here so ignore the confusion between different rituals err… processes.

Let’s begin.

• Where you start

I’m a copywriter.

Unlike the common grit around the world, my process begins at the very first eye-contact. If that works and they respond positively, I’d ask questions, expand expectations, set up new horizons, and repeat until they keep responding or consent to it.

It’s also where I have to figure out the true decision makers. You can’t waste all the energy impressing the hottie when someone else gets to pull the strings. If it’s their client or customers, amazing. If it’s a client of the client, no worries. If it’s a boss, we’re dead meat.

Anyway, once everything has been set up, the contracts are signed, and we get to hold hands, the process becomes quite simple…

• Sleep on it. Or read until I fall asleep.
  • Wake up and write the first draft
  • Sleep some more. Or read until I fall asleep.
  • Edit, edit, edit until every word gets changed, twice. Or until we hit the deadline.
  • Submit and leave it on the client to figure out which part scares them the most.
  • Read something funny. Either a business book or murder mystery.
  • Go back to sleep

That’s pretty much it.

It’s also where we change positions. Sometimes, they do come up with genuine problems or demands, but mostly, it’s questions like why I wanna put something where it doesn’t belong. To which I have to reply: It’s our business. We get to set the rules.

And… time to sleep.

P.S. Yeah, I know, 95% of my process ends before the bullet points begin.

Xx

• Like 1

2021 Ferris remake

Wait!

We mustn’t throw such violent thoughts into space. It’s relativity. It’s mutant manifestation. Sometimes, a wish is the chime heard on the wind. Depending on the listener - that wish may come true. Depending on the wind, it can be brutal.

Do you realize what sort of disorganized, fragmentia could emerge by remaking Ferris Bueller?

Ferris Bueller is the guardian to the cosmic portal. A teenage movie about delinquency with a moral center and grade - A humanity? That’s not a movie. That’s a miracle produced by the universe, sent here to protect us from ourselves. An audio/video ancient scroll, translated into 80’s lingo, complete with a modernized monastic chant:

(Bow Bow chick … chick-a-chick ahhhhh)

Ferris is a modern translation of Fergus. Fergus in Irish culture can be traced to Fearghuis (or Feargus) a giant appearing with mortals as a protector. Some believe him to be a spirit - or God- protecting the realm for those that share his story. His forms have included a lengthy run as protector and king of Ulster. Sworn to always protect - until he was replaced. Needless to say … they weren’t so protected after that.

(There’s also a lot of “Lengthy” information on the size of his … let’s call it “Manhood.” Like, an uncomfortable amount of info. Like… who was asking to this extent?)

By now, I’m sure you’ve made the connection. In its current form, “Ferris Bueller’s Day off” is our protector of this realm. Remaking it would act as a symbolic “replacement” ceremony, causing the realm to be totally susceptible to all sorts of badness.

I ask you, “in the name of O’ Fearghuis, where does it stop?

We, the small and pitiful of this fleshly tribe, have already tempted the fates by remaking Psycho.

(Pause Scene: Seriously, does anybody remember that? The time that Gus Van Zant lost his ever loving mind, got drunk while watching “Swingers” and thought, “This loud kid would make an amazing Norman Bates?” Was that a fever dream?)

It’s a commonly known fact that ideological and mythological deities loath the remake. We’re bending the spatial and temporal dimensions by eroding the ecosystem of preservation currently provided to us by such diverse and complex beings.

Rumor has it, upon seeing the live action remake of “Dumbo,” Perun, Slavic God of Sky, returned to the Pantheon and denounced Polytheism. Denounced it! Reason cited?

“There’s no amount of deities that can undo this dumpster pile. I’m out.”

Great! So let’s hope the sky doesn’t need tending to.

Pangu, the Chinese horned beast that came into existence from the same egg that birthed the universe watched thirty minutes of the “Carrie” remake and immediately posed the primordial existential question. He posed it directly to the Jade Emperor! The actual inventor of “something.” Who was all like, “because I said so.”

Do you see the consequences of these actions? Remakes aren’t just bad movies, they’re a declaration of a divinity lost. It’s humans run amuck.

Our muck runneth over.

Please, please never suggest, even in the most hypothetical and passive sense, that “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” could ever be remade.

But, if it pleases the God’s, I’d definitely listen to a sequel pitch.

Ahh. “Let the Lord of Chaos rule.” He does anyway, doesn’t he.

I’m fine with no remake, though. I’m not in the habit of watching them in any case. But if someone or something out there picked up on my not-wish for a Ferris remake, please make it an anime with soundtrack by TK. In which case I promise I’ll watch.

Euh, I’m extremely off-topic now though and will leave to not get flagged 😉 and will study others’s processes quietly and from afar. There’s always something you could learn and procrastinate on implementing. 🙂

• Like 2

In this thread we discuss your process.

Your freelance process, not your Netflix selection procedure or your mating ritual.

Although… your mating ritual is bound to be funnier. Alright, let me update the thread topic:

The thread where we talk about your process and maybe mating rituals (if they’re weird, like bringing a miniature karaoke machine with you everywhere you go, because you do a wicked Steven Tyler impression and you’re the kinda person who says things like, “chicks dig air guitar”)

No. I’ve re-decided. Let’s keep it strictly to your freelance process.

As a songwriter, my freelance career and my in person - pro writing career can look very different. In person, I’m working with an artist or production team who’s body of work is the launching pad of our new artistic pursuits. It’s my job to factor in their career trajectory, what they’ve said previously, what they haven’t said and what portion of those statements (melodically and philosophically) have to remain in place to retain an audience’s interest. Then I’m taxed with moving the needle. This is an example of contracted work - and it’s entirely different than staff writing, which has its own process.

None of these metrics may apply to freelancing.

But there are similarities. So the initial process remains the same:

1. Get coffee.

2. listen to A-Ha’s “Take on Me” and convince myself that a thread of inspiration exists between this new country artist I’m writing for and my having listened to “take on me.” Otherwise, it’s just me dancing around my kitchen to “take on me.” I prefer to see it as “gathering information.”

3. Ask my new client every single question that could ever be asked, ever. I want to know every thing about anything that they have ever even dreamed that a song could accomplish. When I set out to write that song, I want to be so familiar with their headspace that their voice is paying rent in my imagination.

4. I get more coffee.

This is my initial process (give or take 400 other intricate things happening that actually speak to getting work done).

I’d like to know your process.

Tell me:

• Where you start

Tell me:

• Where you start
  1. Plan My Day (happens 80%)

When I first wake up, I usually plan my day. I grab a little piece of note paper and write down things I need to accomplish today and kinda plan when I’m going to do them. Sometimes I’m not really in the mood to do this, so I don’t. Or sometimes I mentally plan my schedule and don’t write it down, which also helps.

2. Start My Orders

When an order first pops in, I check out the requirements and get started. My VA is generally the most ordered one, and it ends up with all kinds of orders. I always send the buyer a quick message that says “Thanks for placing an order! I’ll get started as soon as I can.”

3. Get Working

So once I check out what I’m supposed to do for the order, I start with research. I research shortcuts, tips, general info, etc. about the task. Then, I work. I try to finish up my orders as quickly as I can, but I can get distracted occasionally. Sometimes if I have an order that’s due later but it seems more fun, I’ll do it before the order that’s due first; it’s a bad habit.

4. Take a Break

After I’ve worked for a while, I like to take a break and do something else. I’ll work out sometimes, or I’ll watch Netflix, or I’ll cook something, or I’ll just read a book for a little. There’s a lot of different things that I do during a break time, but it consists of fun activities that help me relax!

5. Repeat

And the above 3 steps just repeat…

That was kinda the overview of what I do (not too in-depth), but I hope it helps!

• Like 1

Ah, my music process. Gotta be honest, it’s kinda stupid but works.
Materials needed:

• Electric MIDI piano that’s old as you are, but works and was cheap
  • 3 gluten free waffles
  • 1 kombucha
  • An unhealthy amount of potato chips
  • A DAW
  • Some Mr. McJazzMan skills (Brain not included)
  1. Screw around on a piano until you find some cool licks or chords
  • When you do, use the MIDI in to transcribe those chords/lick to a daw (I have a really janky MIDI keyboard with a MIDI to USB adapter right now, it works well but I plan on replacing it with a smaller one soon).
  1. Change your chords/lick into a different instrument (Unless I for some bizarre reason actually want FL Keys, but I’d say no to that most certainly).

2. If you made the chords first, make the lick over it now. Otherwise do the opposite.

3. Bass go brrrrrrr

• I feel like this one explains itself.
  1. Drums
  • Go through my collection of stuff getting hit, and find a kick, snare, OH, CH, Cymbal, etc.
  1. Mixing
  • Just your basic reverbs, lowpass, highpass, frequency splitting between the sub and drums, the general stuff.

I’m honestly stuck in a constant dry spell.

• Like 2

Generally, after I get an order, I never start working on it immediately. I wait one or two hours of mentally digesting the thing indirectly while I’m finishing what I was doing before, and only after that I start. You can work fast without rushing it if you don’t jump into things prematurely.

Now, specialty-wise. Graphic design:

• I already have some very concrete stuff in my mind before starting;
  • I set up my “magic grid” in twelfths and quarters (my “elementary unit” is two pixels - yes, I don’t use inches, millimeters, points, picas, etc.);
  • I just update the buyer and continue/fix until we’re done.

Translation:

• I start from the very beginning, not from the easiest/hardest parts or the ones that interest me the most;
  • I highlight everything that 1) I believe isn’t final, and 2) is specific jargon that I need to look up first;
  • I re-read twice, one at the end of the last day of work and one before I deliver the next day (yes, I take it slow by the end).

My music:

• I have no concrete starting point for my music. Most of the times though, I either hum a melody into my phone that I try to replicate or just start with a drum pattern;
  • I update the buyer with a project screenshot and maybe 10 seconds of the music that “explain” it well. If they like it, it’s onto the polishing phase;
  • My mixes are just functional at the moment - not in-depth, but I make sure it sounds good, balanced in range, stereo and doesn’t clip/destroy your ears with certain frequency ranges.

Edit: I also work in 30 minute - 1 hour bursts, sparkling water/coke by my side, no food. That’s it.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, sujontive said:

What is your logo design process? I know it's the same process. But every designer has his own way to do it. What's yours?

My process is to use my skills to complete the work that I was hired to do. Simple. Direct. Effective. 

• Like 1