Daily Mail Article

dolly_donut

Their gigs NEED to be made to carry warning labels.

In this case, so does every gig on Fiverr. That seller who says they can get you to rank number one on Google, they need a disclaimer. That seller who says they will give you the best animation video, they need a disclaimer if their video isn’t the best.

No, not usually. Quitting cold turkey or even going several hours without a fix can be extremely dangerous, depending on the level of addiction.

Congratulations. You’ve Googled just how damning addiction can be and can now recite the effects on the human body.

An addicted family member of mine was taken to the resus department in a hospital, with their life in danger, after going several hours without a drink.

Really? There are so many things wrong in this statement it’s beyond silly. You don’t get taken to a resuscitation department. You have resuscitation on the spot wherever you stop breathing. (Because you’re dead.) I know. My girlfriend’s mum when I was 16 was a nurse and did ‘resus’ on her daughter in front of me in their living room.

Can you imagine how many people would die needlessly just by having to go to the ‘resus’ department?

I just wish I knew then that I could have brought her back with a drink. After all, isn’t that what you are saying here? Your family member HAD their life in danger and needed to be taken to ‘resus’ because they’d gone several hours without a drink?

Thanks for that, as soon as I get my time machine, I’ll go back in time with a G&T.

I’m not against addiction-themed spell casting gigs in theory, though. I’m more against the lack of precautions being taken at the moment. As long as an addict goes into the gig with a basic understanding of addiction, I don’t really see a problem.

You can sum up everything you just said and everything you said on this thread so far by saying “Hello, I was born after 1990 and need to feel listened to.”

The cold turkey approach is often accompanied by other interventions, though, such as rehydration therapy, vital monitoring, and alcohol withdrawal meds.

Really, is Wikipedia suddenly lacking contributors?

I’m sorry,. but I am not even going to disguise my anger here. YOU have presented yourself as someone directly affected by addiction here and you either are not or were taking LSD yourself at the time. Stop trying to speak like an authority on this matter. It is offensive to those who have actually dealt with addiction.

I’m sorry,. but I am not even going to disguise my anger here. YOU have presented yourself as someone directly affected by addiction here and you either are not or were taking LSD yourself at the time. Stop trying to speak like an authority on this matter. It is offensive to those who have actually dealt with addiction.

I’m not going to respond in depth to a post based totally on conjecture. You know nothing about me nor my life experiences but are assuming you do. No fruitful debate can blossom from such a starting point.

Have a nice night.

And for the record, the resus department is for somebody whose vitals have dropped to dangerous levels and need 24/7 monitoring. The person may need resuscitation (or any other serious intervention) at any given time. You’re confusing the resus department for actual resuscitation. Probably an easy mistake to make at this time of night.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The severe alcoholics I knew checked into the hospital when they had so much to drink they were in danger of dying, not when they had stopped drinking temporarily. But everyone is different probably.

You can literally drink yourself to death. I’ve read about fraternity inductions where they were made to do that.

I’ve never heard of an alcoholic tapering off gradually.

The severe alcoholics I knew checked into the hospital when they had so much to drink they were in danger of dying, not when they had stopped drinking temporarily. But everyone is different probably.

You can literally drink yourself to death. I’ve read about fraternity inductions where they were made to do that.

Unfortunately my family member did it three times last year. He was dosed up with withdrawal meds each time. As he’s old now, they were rough on him. Our family wouldn’t leave him to eat alone, as it seemed he could barely chew or swallow food. After about 5 days, though, he was in really good condition.

Unfortunately, the cravings were too strong for him, though, and he went back to alcohol each time. If he wanted to buy a health-related gig to help with his addiction once he was out of hospital or had chatted with his doctor, I wouldn’t mind that. I’m not against these gigs. I just see risk that could be easily reduced. The damage cold turkey causes some people can be way worse than the damage caused by a bad SEO video, or whatever it was Cy made an analogy to.

I can’t answer your questions about AA. I guess the reason I’m passionate about what happens on Fiverr is I’m invested in the site.

Unfortunately my family member did it three times last year. He was dosed up with withdrawal meds each time. As he’s old now, they were rough on him. Our family wouldn’t leave him to eat alone, as it seemed he could barely chew or swallow food. After about 5 days, though, he was in really good condition.

Unfortunately, the cravings were too strong for him, though, and he went back to alcohol each time. If he wanted to buy a health-related gig to help with his addiction once he was out of hospital or had chatted with his doctor, I wouldn’t mind that. I’m not against these gigs. I just see risk that could be easily reduced. The damage cold turkey causes some people can be way worse than the damage caused by a bad SEO video, or whatever it was Cy made an analogy to.

I can’t answer your questions about AA. I guess the reason I’m passionate about what happens on Fiverr is I’m invested in the site.

the cravings were too strong for him, though, and he went back to alcohol each time.

Yes I’ve seen beloved friends have this same terrible experience. Nothing ever can overcome the cravings. At some point near death after failure after failure they have nothing left to lose.

I’ve also seen people quit cold turkey and never go back to another drink, many times. One of our lessor presidents did that.

I’m not going to respond in depth to a post based totally on conjecture. You know nothing about me nor my life experiences but are assuming you do. No fruitful debate can blossom from such a starting point.

Have a nice night.

And for the record, the resus department is for somebody whose vitals have dropped to dangerous levels and need 24/7 monitoring. The person may need resuscitation (or any other serious intervention) at any given time. You’re confusing the resus department for actual resuscitation. Probably an easy mistake to make at this time of night.

And for the record, the resus department is for somebody whose vitals have dropped to dangerous levels and need 24/7 monitoring. The person may need resuscitation at any given time. You’re confusing the resus department for actual resuscitation. Probably an easy mistake to make at this time of night.

Resus is ER. My problem with you is you have gone from:

There are spellcasters on here claiming they can treat alcohol addiction. Their gigs NEED to be made to carry warning labels.

(I mean do you really think addicts read warning labels? By this logic, we could put “This is Bad” on Fentanyl and eliminate the U.S. opioid crisis.)

To:

I’m not against addiction-themed spell casting gigs in theory, though. I’m more against the lack of precautions being taken at the moment. As long as an addict goes into the gig with a basic understanding of addiction, I don’t really see a problem.

I mean come on! What are you actually saying here? As long as an addict goes into a gig with a basic understanding of addiction?

You can’t possibly have any familiarity with addiction by even assuming this. - And it reverses your original outrage.

If he wanted to buy a health-related gig to help with his addiction once he was out of hospital or had chatted with his doctor, I wouldn’t mind that. I’m not against these gigs.

Oh for God sake… If you are going to do drama, at least read Shakespeare.

And for the record, the resus department is for somebody whose vitals have dropped to dangerous levels and need 24/7 monitoring. The person may need resuscitation at any given time. You’re confusing the resus department for actual resuscitation. Probably an easy mistake to make at this time of night.

Resus is ER. My problem with you is you have gone from:

There are spellcasters on here claiming they can treat alcohol addiction. Their gigs NEED to be made to carry warning labels.

(I mean do you really think addicts read warning labels? By this logic, we could put “This is Bad” on Fentanyl and eliminate the U.S. opioid crisis.)

To:

I mean come on! What are you actually saying here? As long as an addict goes into a gig with a basic understanding of addiction?

You can’t possibly have any familiarity with addiction by even assuming this. - And it reverses your original outrage.

If he wanted to buy a health-related gig to help with his addiction once he was out of hospital or had chatted with his doctor, I wouldn’t mind that. I’m not against these gigs.

Oh for God sake… If you are going to do drama, at least read Shakespeare.

Alright. Have a good night!

Yes I’ve seen beloved friends have this same terrible experience. Nothing ever can overcome the cravings. At some point near death after failure after failure they have nothing left to lose.

I’m sorry to hear that. It’s baffling and heartbreaking to watch somebody willingly go towards the edge of disaster, come back from that place, then go back there again.

I’ve also seen people quit cold turkey and never go back to another drink, many times. One of our lessor presidents did that.

Absolutely. I really hope I didn’t give off the impression that every addiction is dangerous or needs medical intervention. I don’t believe that, as it’s obviously not the case. I am focusing on quite a small minority of serious addicts here. But isn’t it that small minority that warning labels are intended for? Most people don’t need to be told a Snickers bar contains nuts, but 1 in a hundred does.

Should he chat with his doctor before he prays to God to end his addiction? Or is that different?

It’s not the act I’m focusing on here, it’s what might result from that act. If a vulnerable person with a serious dependency prays and believes he can quit cold turkey, then yeah it’d probably be best if he chatted to his doctor first. The same goes for meditation, hypnotism, fasts, etc.

Interventions that soothe the mind, body and soul are great for all people, but not if they lead you to make dangerous medical choices.

Alright. Have a good night!

I’m sorry to hear that. It’s baffling and heartbreaking to watch somebody willingly go towards the edge of disaster, come back from that place, then go back there again.

Absolutely. I really hope I didn’t give off the impression that every addiction is dangerous or needs medical intervention. I don’t believe that, as it’s obviously not the case. I am focusing on quite a small minority of serious addicts here. But isn’t it that small minority that warning labels are intended for? Most people don’t need to be told a Snickers bar contains nuts, but 1 in a hundred does.

Should he chat with his doctor before he prays to God to end his addiction? Or is that different?

It’s not the act I’m focusing on here, it’s what might result from that act. If a vulnerable person with a serious dependency prays and believes he can quit cold turkey, then yeah it’d probably be best if he chatted to his doctor first. The same goes for meditation, hypnotism, fasts, etc.

Interventions that soothe the mind, body and soul are great for all people, but not if they lead you to make dangerous medical choices.

You must have had some much better doctors than I’ve ever had because the only ones who ever did one thing for me 1. gave me antibiotics when I had strep throat, and 2. removed a kidney stone.

The rest were 100% worthless or actually much more harmful than what I went to them for.

I wouldn’t trust any doctor at all. My experiences have been beyond horrible.

I could go on for many pages about the horrors I’ve experienced from doctors. I actually have a scar on the back of one eyeball when I had a piece of lint in my eye and a doctor almost poked my eyeball out of my head and I had to run out away from him.

You must have had some much better doctors than I’ve ever had because the only ones who ever did one thing for me 1. gave me antibiotics when I had strep throat, and 2. removed a kidney stone.

The rest were 100% worthless or actually much more harmful than what I went to them for.

I could go on for many pages about the horrors I’ve experienced from doctors. I actually have a scar on the back of one eyeball when I had a piece of lint in my eye and a doctor almost poked my eyeball out of my head and I had to run out away from him.

Have you considered getting a new one? I’m only kidding. 😅

A doctor did catch a serious medical condition I had. I even argued against his decision to test for it, as I thought it was a waste of time. I can’t slate them all for that reason, haha.

But I have been given lots of needless antibiotics and unsympathetic ears, too.

Perhaps you were unlucky. Or the doctors you’ve encountered bought their diplomas from a diploma mill?

Most of my experiences with doctors were pretty good, and they really helped me.

But I have been given lots of needless antibiotics

I was given a bunch of antibiotics last summer, but it was because I had bronchopneumonia, so they were very much needed. Before that, the last time I got antibiotics was 20+ years ago.

Ah the Daily Mail, the trustworthy source for everything you could possibly need. Like their extremely fact-based and researched Cancer articles, all put side by side here by British comedian Russel Howard.

I also see their Astrology section is alive and kicking with presumably paid for ads to get readings from a “Five Star Service” which you get a free trial of and then get a recurring subscription. Definitely no chance that vulnerable and uneducated people might use these, take the advice as golden and things could go wrong.

I wish Fiverr had the 🎱 to say “Sure, we will remove these from our site as soon as you remove all of the misleading, incorrect, and blatantly lying articles that you publish on a regular basis and undertake to provide relevant and trustworthy sources for all of your articles in future.”

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

My point is really that Fiverr would do better to ignore the Daily Mail and similarly unimportant publications and decide for itself what is and isn’t ok for the platform. I’d find it unbelievable if this Daily Mail article is the first time Fiverr staff’s attention was drawn to these gigs.

My point is really that Fiverr would do better to ignore the Daily Mail and similarly unimportant publications and decide for itself what is and isn’t ok for the platform. I’d find it unbelievable if this Daily Mail article is the first time Fiverr staff’s attention was drawn to these gigs.

I’d find it unbelievable if this Daily Mail article is the first time Fiverr staff’s attention was drawn to these gigs.

And yet they’ve allowed them until now, when a media storm has kicked off, same way they did with obscene sign holding gigs, essay writing gigs, and fake review gigs. Doesn’t say much for the company’s moral compass, does it?

Seems like outside intervention is sometimes needed to make this site more ethical, even from shi*tshows like the Mail.

I’d find it unbelievable if this Daily Mail article is the first time Fiverr staff’s attention was drawn to these gigs.

And yet they’ve allowed them until now, when a media storm has kicked off, same way they did with obscene sign holding gigs, essay writing gigs, and fake review gigs. Doesn’t say much for the company’s moral compass, does it?

Seems like outside intervention is sometimes needed to make this site more ethical, even from shi*tshows like the Mail.

yet they’ve allowed them until now, when a media storm has kicked off

Is this article a media storm that has kicked off? I see this as letting people know about fiverr who may have a huge interest in these types of services. After all, the newspaper does seem to be geared to this type of thing, with the services advertised in it.

How tightly do you want people to be denied things they want? How much do YOU want to control what OTHER people do, take interests in, and believe in? That’s what we really are discussing.

Is this article a media storm that has kicked off? I see this as letting people know about fiverr who may have a huge interest in these types of services. After all, the newspaper does seem to be geared to this type of thing, with the services advertised in it.

How tightly do you want people to be denied things they want? How much do YOU want to control what OTHER people do, take interests in, and believe in? That’s what we really are discussing.

Is this article a media storm that has kicked off? I see this as letting people know about fiverr who may have a huge interest in these types of services.

That’s not the Daily Mail’s style. In that paper, everything’s supposed the signal the end of world or the end of human decency… or something like that. It’s why it has quite a bad rep.

Eoin was right about it being a hypocritical paper. I just disagreed with his last point.

Is this article a media storm that has kicked off? I see this as letting people know about fiverr who may have a huge interest in these types of services.

That’s not the Daily Mail’s style. In that paper, everything’s supposed the signal the end of world or the end of human decency… or something like that. It’s why it has quite a bad rep.

Eoin was right about it being a hypocritical paper. I just disagreed with his last point.

Eoin was right about it being a hypocritical paper.

I read Daily Mail every time I want to raise my blood pressure a bit, btw. We have similar garbage papers around here but Daily Mail is insulting in such a deliciously polite British manner.

We’re not really debating anymore. We agreed very early on in this thread. I said these gigs should contain warnings, as there was a potential for risk, and you agreed.

image.png.c55e817391de634438c869db39ddb228.png
image805×98 13.9 KB

The reason we’re still carrying on is because you’re counter-arguing points I haven’t actually made. I’ve never once in this thread said people should be denied access to things or that any gig should be banned.

Some poor guy with a drinking problem buys a gig to get rid of his addiction to alcohol. And who knows, maybe it helped him do just that. If we put a stop to everything that doesn’t work for this then we can put a stop to all the addiction treatment centers around the world who fail to end addiction as well.

If you want to put an end to scams that rake in a lot of money close down addiction treatment centers. Addicts cycle in and out of those at great profit for the owners.

And as I said if you just want these gigs to have warnings let’s start with
Alcoholics Anonymous. Make them give warnings too. They advocate going cold turkey as the only way.

Some poor guy with a drinking problem buys a gig to get rid of his addiction to alcohol. And who knows, maybe it helped him do just that. If we put a stop to everything that doesn’t work for this then we can put a stop to all the addiction treatment centers around the world who fail to end addiction as well.

If you want to put an end to scams that rake in a lot of money close down addiction treatment centers. Addicts cycle in and out of those at great profit for the owners.

And as I said if you just want these gigs to have warnings let’s start with

Alcoholics Anonymous. Make them give warnings too. They advocate going cold turkey as the only way.

You’ve not only created a strawman, Miss C, but you’ve fallen in love with it, married it, and started a life with it in a small, quaint town with great schools.

I’m kind of wasting my time here now arguing against things I’ve never suggested.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

You’ve not only created a strawman, Miss C, but you’ve fallen in love with it, married it, and started a life with it in a small, quaint town with great schools.

I’m kind of wasting my time here now arguing against things I’ve never suggested.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

So why do you continue to post anything? You are the one talking about “media storms” and how these gigs should be stopped, or contain warnings, and now pretending that you never said anything.

You just wrote that a few minutes ago. And now you’ve switched over to this:

You can’t disparage spell gigs then pretend you never did that. Basically you’ve made the point that you think these gigs are unethical and that’s ok. But don’t turn around and then act like you didn’t.

You’ve watered it down to saying they should have warnings and that is ok too.
But by the same token why not require Alcoholics Anonymous to issue warnings of the same kind for the same thing?

You can’t disparage spell gigs then pretend you never did that. Basically you’ve made the point that you think these gigs are unethical and that’s ok. But don’t turn around and then act like you didn’t.

You’ve watered it down to saying they should have warnings and that is ok too.

But by the same token why not require Alcoholics Anonymous to issue warnings of the same kind for the same thing?

Basically you’ve made the point that you think these gigs are unethical and that’s ok.

Oh, no, I don’t think the gigs themselves are unethical. Yeah, I’m a cynic, but I think they can have a lot of practical use. Anything that lifts a person’s mood and builds self-belief can be useful.

I think it’s unethical not to put warning labels on things that could potentially have health implications, though. I believe warning labels should be put on these gigs to prevent serious addicts doing unadvisable things, like quitting cold turkey. Many addicts can be desperate, remember, and aren’t always thinking clearly when they make decisions. Some spellcasters may also not realise the dangers of extreme addictions. Remember, there are bad sellers in every category all over Fiverr.

I also believe warnings should be placed on drugs, at the start of health books, etc. Just so that a person doesn’t do something overly drastic, like start a diet that could harm them or take drugs that interact with other things.

Most people won’t require these warnings, but they may save a person or two from harm, so why not put them there?

So, yeah, that’s my summary. All of the strawmen, ad hominems and false dimelas (some from writers, depressingly), ended up making this debate seem much more complex than it was.

Archived