Blind Reviews & The Day I Started Censoring Myself

cyaxrex

On the profiles of people who already ordered from me.

… correction: That’s where I saw it.

Oh dear. Did they take it away? I’ll keep an eye out for it, but it’s definitely not showing on my buyer’s profile pages.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This process is the opposite of transparency. Not really why those headaches with ‘hidden reviews’. They should change the rating viewing system for both parties.

As a buyer:

I want to see the sellers reviews, how many order he delivered and maybe some stats regarding the average order.

As a seller:

I’d like to view every order that you have placed and the reviews, if there were any. The same thing, how much did the client spent on Fiverr (just an approximation, the same way you see on envato +$100k).

The buyers should have some reputation stats as well.

I am so completely disheartened by this new review system. I would honestly like to hear from a Fiverr representative as to what the blind review is supposed to do for the sellers. How about beef up the seller review process of the buyer so there are multiple factors and buyers are actually AFFECTED by these reviews.

I have the same sentiments as all of you. I suppose there’s no need to rehash everything. I’ve been able to put up with most of these dumb systematic changes, but this is really getting to be the last straw for me.

Oh dear. Did they take it away? I’ll keep an eye out for it, but it’s definitely not showing on my buyer’s profile pages.

Apparently, yes, I checked a couple of buyer profiles, it’s gone for me. Well, guess I’ll get to take comfort from the blind review system soon…

Well, as being a freelancer on a couple of platforms, this option was implemented on the “U” platform for a lot of time - and honestly, I never had a problem with it. However, here on Fiverr it might be a complete different thing, as you know, you can’t vet the buyers prior ordering. On “U”, I work with long-term clients, on ongoing projects, and I actually know what kind of review they will leave after a job, but here it might be hit and miss.

Of course, I don’t mind for the blind review system, as I would rate my clients objectively, oh well, they might a review right after the delivery. Once again, I think that Fiverr isn’t still the platform that should implement such things.

Well, as being a freelancer on a couple of platforms, this option was implemented on the “U” platform for a lot of time - and honestly, I never had a problem with it. However, here on Fiverr it might be a complete different thing, as you know, you can’t vet the buyers prior ordering. On “U”, I work with long-term clients, on ongoing projects, and I actually know what kind of review they will leave after a job, but here it might be hit and miss.

Of course, I don’t mind for the blind review system, as I would rate my clients objectively, oh well, they might a review right after the delivery. Once again, I think that Fiverr isn’t still the platform that should implement such things.

I know exactly what platform you’re talking about. They have a GREAT review system that I love. The problem is that Fiverr’s review system is hot garbage (if I’m putting it lightly). It needs more components and to actually reflect on the buyer’s profile.

You know, there’s simple solution that Fiverr could implement for their new review system:

Provide us two review/response boxes.

The first box is the same seller response to buyer reviews that we’ve had for years, except, the starred review element is removed. We can respond to buyer reviews, we share our side of the story, but we don’t rate them in this box. This is just a clarification response that gets posted under the buyer’s review.

The second box is the “seller’s review of the buyer”, which, I assume will eventually go on buyer accounts. This allows us to provide a fair response to our side of the transaction with the buyer. If buyers can leave voluntary reviews for us (or not leave one if they don’t want to), the same exact ability should be given to sellers. If we want to review the buyer, we can, if not, that’s fine too.

We should be able to have a choice in the review we, as sellers leave, just as the buyer has full ability to do that for us. My idea allows us to provide an unrated response to buyer reviews, and than have the choice as to whether we think the buyer should be reviewed as well. Yes, this negates the blind review, but the new blind review system (in this Fiverr ecosystem) is hardly fair to begin with

…and no one should be forced to leave a review, just to see a review that someone else left for them. Open reviews for both parties, and the ability to respond to buyer reviews in a non-rated way seems like fair and reasonable alternative for the buyer, seller, and Fiverr’s system.

@mjensen415 , as our resident forum liaison, I would love to hear your thoughts on this, if you’re willing to share a little feedback? 🙂

Apparently, yes, I checked a couple of buyer profiles, it’s gone for me. Well, guess I’ll get to take comfort from the blind review system soon…

And now the block button is suddenly back again. Seems like an intermittent button or intermittent bug.

Well, it has started. I have had my first encounter with the new blind review system. - And I have sold out.

A buyer messaged me recently and to be honest, I didn’t want to work with them. They seemed too needy and were clearly only looking to pay the absolute minimum. I went so far as to state that it sounded like they needed an in-depth consultation and that I was afraid I couldn’t offer them this. Then suddenly: Boom! They placed an order, minus any of the information which I told them I would need to complete their work.

This upset me. However, I delivered on this order and as soon as I did, the buyer marked it as complete. Then I received a notification stating that the buyer had left a review. To see it, I would have to leave a review first.

Now, I don’t usually review buyers. In fact, I usually only review buyers if they leave a super nice review or a tip. However, now it is the case that new reviews won’t appear on my gig pages for 10-days until I do. What’s that word? Blackmail?

Anyway, I had to write something and with this order, I guessed that the buyer had a 50/50 chance of leaving a negative review. After all, I had asked them not to place an order with me. The thing is, how would writing anything like that benefit me? My reviews show up on my profile. If I say anything bad about any buyer, this will reflect poorly on me.

So, I left a basic 5-star review thanking the buyer for their order. After I did, I found that the buyer had left a 5-star review of their own and there was a ‘phew’ moment.

My Review of the Review System

For me, the new blind review system is just another needless headache. If reviews of buyers appeared on their own profile pages, the system would be workable. They don’t, though. They just appear on yours.

As for other immediate problems:

• I think buyers I leave positive reviews (when these are warranted) like these as it adds a personal touch to my overall service standard. Now I can’t offer this.
  • Now things are more time-consuming. Namely, because if I want reviews, I have to dole them out myself, even though doing so serves no practical purpose.
  • I am pretty sure that if I said anything which this buyer might not have liked, they would have reported me to CS.
  • There is still no way for me to check the reviews of buyers left by other sellers

As it is, I think that I will refrain from reviewing buyers at all from now on. It’s too risky to leave buyers anything other than 5-stars and… Well, career suicide really. In cases where a buyer leaves me 1-star, I’m going to look pretty stupid saying “Thank you for your order!” Worse, it will look like I don’t even care to give a buyer a reason why their delivery might not have been to their satisfaction.

Now, I don’t usually review buyers.

I also rarely review buyers. I would sometimes respond to an unfavorable review with my side of the story. I figure buyer reviews don’t matter. It’s not like I can stop some 2-star buyer from ordering from me. I also think it looks a little unprofessional to have your profile packed with fluff about your buyers. New buyers want to see what other buyers say about your work, not what you say about other buyers.

With the double blind review system, I still see no upside to leaving a buyer review. The first 10 days will be a little awkward since I won’t have any new reviews, but after that, reviews will be posing regularly again once the queue builds up.

The double blind feedback is another example of Fiverr trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist. The new system doesn’t help buyers or sellers. It’s just a waste of everyone’s time.

I also rarely review buyers. I would sometimes respond to an unfavorable review with my side of the story. I figure buyer reviews don’t matter. It’s not like I can stop some 2-star buyer from ordering from me. I also think it looks a little unprofessional to have your profile packed with fluff about your buyers. New buyers want to see what other buyers say about your work, not what you say about other buyers.

With the double blind review system, I still see no upside to leaving a buyer review. The first 10 days will be a little awkward since I won’t have any new reviews, but after that, reviews will be posing regularly again once the queue builds up.

The double blind feedback is another example of Fiverr trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist. The new system doesn’t help buyers or sellers. It’s just a waste of everyone’s time.

wait, has fiverr made changes to the review system that maybe im unaware of ? Is it a blind system now ??? These comments are confusing me…

I also think it looks a little unprofessional to have your profile packed with fluff about your buyers. New buyers want to see what other buyers say about your work, not what you say about other buyers.

Exactly. In my book, a dignified silence says more than hundreds of fluffy thank you messages. I guess you are right about simply waiting 10-days. I just don’t want to. 😦

wait, has fiverr made changes to the review system that maybe im unaware of ? Is it a blind system now ??? These comments are confusing me…

Yeah. Basically, unless the seller opts to review the buyer, the seller will not be able to see the buyer’s review. It will be hidden. Incase the seller doesn’t respond to the review by the buyer, it will then get exhibited on the seller’s profile after 10 days, post which the seller will not be able to respond at all (even if he/she would like to). That’s what I gathered from this entire thread, atleast.

Yeah. Basically, unless the seller opts to review the buyer, the seller will not be able to see the buyer’s review. It will be hidden. Incase the seller doesn’t respond to the review by the buyer, it will then get exhibited on the seller’s profile after 10 days, post which the seller will not be able to respond at all (even if he/she would like to). That’s what I gathered from this entire thread, atleast.

If thats correct, wouldnt be a fan of that at all - other places you can ignore the review and it doesnt get posted…If i ignore the review and it gets posted anyway thats just 😕

I agree, and disagree. Fluff is extraneous, yes. However, I take the time to provide a fair and informed response to EVERY review. Many of my clients have stated that they actually chose to hire me BECAUSE of how I respond to good and bad reviews.

A fair seller response to a buyer review is, therefore, yet another great way for potential buyers to assess the nature and personality of the seller they are thinking about hiring.

G’morning everyone! This was a fun thread to read and a lot to unpack. This feature is not 100% and we are gradually releasing the full flow for this change. While dancing around specifics, I can say that issues and concerns raised here are addressed in the full solution - so stay tuned don’t be worried of providing a candid feedback on your experience with the buyer. We want both sellers and buyers to be truthful with their interactions.

I agree, and disagree. Fluff is extraneous, yes. However, I take the time to provide a fair and informed response to EVERY review. Many of my clients have stated that they actually chose to hire me BECAUSE of how I respond to good and bad reviews.

A fair seller response to a buyer review is, therefore, yet another great way for potential buyers to assess the nature and personality of the seller they are thinking about hiring.

A fair seller response to a buyer review is, therefore, yet another great way for potential buyers to assess the nature and personality of the seller they are thinking about hiring

That is a good point. I could see that being useful. It’s too bad that blind reviews make it impossible for sellers to provide a full, fair response since it means we cannot respond to inaccuracies in the buyer review. I don’t understand what was wrong with the old system.

If I knew that reviews mattered for a buyer’s reputation score, I would be more inclined to follow your example. I wouldn’t need the 10-day blackmail feature to get me to leave more reviews either.

Can we ask others to tell us what a review about us said? I just now got one I can’t see.

If I find a client to be difficult to work with for some reason I am not going to announce that for all to read. That is not what any seller should be doing. I’m not going to bad-mouth any of my clients. I simply want to explain in case there is a negative comment made about my service.

I have only seen that when there was first a bad review left for a seller. Why are we now being encouraged to publicly say bad things about buyers?

If thats correct, wouldnt be a fan of that at all - other places you can ignore the review and it doesnt get posted…If i ignore the review and it gets posted anyway thats just 😕

In Fiverr, the review always gets posted, I think. Good or bad. But the issue is, since this is a blind review system, you can’t evaluate your buyer’s review and respond/act accordingly, like how it was before. Your buyer could have been an absolute prat but then again, you had the option to write your side of the story in, based on the review that was left. Even if it was a bad review, other buyers could atleast see a relevant response from your side.

But moreover, you weren’t held hostage over buyer reviews. It popped up, you dealt with it, it was done.

With this feature, you’re left literally in the dark, hoping that you’ve done enough to guarantee that 5 star rating, confused about how to assess the buyers (because there’s no way to tell how they feel about the job done) and perplexed about what to write in that review box that will keep things cordial yet not too specific incase the buyers think differently & leave a less favourable response (thank you for ordering, have a nice day??)

I guess this is the new era of assuming and presuming things, leaving generic reviews about your buyers (to risk not looking like a fool) and hoping to all the gods that no one spat in their coffees that morning.

Woohoo. I’m so pumped to work here.

G’morning everyone! This was a fun thread to read and a lot to unpack. This feature is not 100% and we are gradually releasing the full flow for this change. While dancing around specifics, I can say that issues and concerns raised here are addressed in the full solution - so stay tuned don’t be worried of providing a candid feedback on your experience with the buyer. We want both sellers and buyers to be truthful with their interactions.

You know, as a follow up to my previous suggestions (further up in this thread), perhaps another option would be to keep the blind review – thereby ensuring truly blind feedback, but then NOT post the seller’s blind review of the buyer on seller gigs or profiles.

Instead, after the seller has posted a blind review (and that review is NOT posted on the seller’s gig/profile), once the seller is able to see the buyer’s review, THEN he/she is able to post a non-rated response to the buyer’s review, which DOES get posted on the seller’s gig/profile.

Win-win for everyone, without destroying the benefits of allowing a seller to respond to, or clarify, a buyer’s review on their gig.

We want both sellers and buyers to be truthful with their interactions.

Truth begins with honesty and here’s where the problem lies, Fiverr doesn’t guarantee honest buyers.

If honest buyers where to review, then most likely that review would be true and the blind system would have a chance to work, specially over dishonest sellers but, sadly up to today, that’s not the case and in any moment we are hostage of dishonest buyers and their future reviews.

In Fiverr, the review always gets posted, I think. Good or bad. But the issue is, since this is a blind review system, you can’t evaluate your buyer’s review and respond/act accordingly, like how it was before. Your buyer could have been an absolute prat but then again, you had the option to write your side of the story in, based on the review that was left. Even if it was a bad review, other buyers could atleast see a relevant response from your side.

But moreover, you weren’t held hostage over buyer reviews. It popped up, you dealt with it, it was done.

With this feature, you’re left literally in the dark, hoping that you’ve done enough to guarantee that 5 star rating, confused about how to assess the buyers (because there’s no way to tell how they feel about the job done) and perplexed about what to write in that review box that will keep things cordial yet not too specific incase the buyers think differently & leave a less favourable response (thank you for ordering, have a nice day??)

I guess this is the new era of assuming and presuming things, leaving generic reviews about your buyers (to risk not looking like a fool) and hoping to all the gods that no one spat in their coffees that morning.

Woohoo. I’m so pumped to work here.

o well that just reminded me - i had no option previously, when a buyer posted a review on fiverr it automatically shows up. So nothing has changed there, i dont care about reviewing my buyer - if they leave a review it gets posted and thats the only thing i need to know lol if they leave a bad review the damage is done and i stil dont want to hurt them with a bad review anyway - id rather just leave it as is and move on.

Thanks for the info!!!

We want both sellers and buyers to be truthful with their interactions.

Truth begins with honesty and here’s where the problem lies, Fiverr doesn’t guarantee honest buyers.

If honest buyers where to review, then most likely that review would be true and the blind system would have a chance to work, specially over dishonest sellers but, sadly up to today, that’s not the case and in any moment we are hostage of dishonest buyers and their future reviews.

I really don’t think it’s a great idea to encourage sellers to publicly disrespect and embarrass difficult buyers.

I don’t intend to start doing that. It is something a mek-sell can use though as an excuse for poor service, to blame the buyer for what was actually their own failure.

(this was not directed to maitasun, sorry)

Archived