Don't Ask Other Sellers to Give You Work or For Advice - Here's Why

paulmaplesden

Just to take the alternative viewpoint… While I do appreciate the arguments above about ‘time wasting’ and the issue around messaging response rates, I do feel it is a bit of a shame that there is such an anti-networking sentiment.

In the “real-world” of most industries (particularly creative ones) it would usually be considered really good practice to network - because making connections, learning from each other, etc, is usually mutually beneficial. I think that (when done sensibly and respectfully) it can be a hugely beneficial activity. The idea of reporting users for potentially well-natured networking feels like quite a different culture…?

Sellers should obviously feel able to ignore / politely decline such communications, but I suppose the main crux of the issue here is around Fiverr’s monitoring of messaging response rates (totally agree that nobody wants to be penalised for not responding to a ‘networking’ style message).

I suppose this is essentially what the forums are for, and users should be encouraged to network and ask for advice here instead of on the main site. I notice there is a ‘messaging’ feature in the forums for contacting individuals - is this presumably separate from the main buyer/seller messaging, e.g. no penalties for ignoring, or for a delayed response?

Just to take the alternative viewpoint… While I do appreciate the arguments above about ‘time wasting’ and the issue around messaging response rates, I do feel it is a bit of a shame that there is such an anti-networking sentiment.

In the “real-world” of most industries (particularly creative ones) it would usually be considered really good practice to network - because making connections, learning from each other, etc, is usually mutually beneficial. I think that (when done sensibly and respectfully) it can be a hugely beneficial activity. The idea of reporting users for potentially well-natured networking feels like quite a different culture…?

Sellers should obviously feel able to ignore / politely decline such communications, but I suppose the main crux of the issue here is around Fiverr’s monitoring of messaging response rates (totally agree that nobody wants to be penalised for not responding to a ‘networking’ style message).

I suppose this is essentially what the forums are for, and users should be encouraged to network and ask for advice here instead of on the main site. I notice there is a ‘messaging’ feature in the forums for contacting individuals - is this presumably separate from the main buyer/seller messaging, e.g. no penalties for ignoring, or for a delayed response?

I notice there is a ‘messaging’ feature in the forums for contacting individuals - is this presumably separate from the main buyer/seller messaging, e.g. no penalties for ignoring, or for a delayed response?

There are no penalties for ignoring or a delayed response, no.

However, keep the forum rules in mind (forum users are to refrain from messaging other users unless invited to do so). If you send a message to someone who doesn’t want to receive it, you can get reported for it.

Thanks catwriter, useful to know.

I think we can all agree that spamming other sellers with unsolicited pleas for work is definitely inappropriate. But I do think there is value is genuine, mutually-beneficial networking. I would not be particularly offended if a fellow musician/composer contacted me in good faith to discuss advice/collaboration/sharing ideas etc, but I can appreciate this would become tiresome if people abuse the system.

It seems that the best place on Fiverr to conduct this kind of activity would be via public posts in the forum rather than direct messages.

I think we can all agree that spamming other sellers with unsolicited pleas for work is definitely inappropriate. But I do think there is value is genuine, mutually-beneficial networking. I would not be particularly offended if a fellow musician/composer contacted me in good faith to discuss advice/collaboration/sharing ideas etc, but I can appreciate this would become tiresome if people abuse the system.

It seems that the best place on Fiverr to conduct this kind of activity would be via public posts in the forum rather than direct messages.

Yes, definitely.

I can appreciate this would become tiresome if people abuse the system.

It tends to be either “buy from me” or “how do I get sales?”. Tiresome, indeed. Plus it’s usually not that short, it starts with “hi”, you ask them if you can help them, they say “yes”, you ask more questions, and after a longish conversation that’s a total waste of time, it turns out they’re nothing but beggars.

However, if you contact someone to offer them work (for example, you’ll be away for a while, and you’re wondering if that seller would mind if you referred your regular buyers to them), that’s something different (and not breaking the rules, since you’re allowed to contact other sellers if you want to ask them about their services and if there’s going to be some buying involved).

I’m a Canadian writer and I really enjoy the messages I get like this:

“Pleas sirs, git me werk I can help do all for you you have all th e work i can help grettly.”

Besides wasting my time, you really need to get your English together before you get any work! LOL

I’m a Canadian writer and I really enjoy the messages I get like this:

“Pleas sirs, git me werk I can help do all for you you have all th e work i can help grettly.”

Besides wasting my time, you really need to get your English together before you get any work! LOL

Why don’t you want to give some of your orders to them? 😁

I am getting that messages regularly. Got 2 yesterday.

Not sure if something change but, I got few times custom order from sellers and you can’t report that. Unless you email support with screenshots and stuff.

I don’t know why they think they will get work by messaging other sellers.

1. Why would successful sellers trust some random new sellers with their work.

2. If they are full and don’t have time to finish everything, they will ask some friend to help them who they can trust fully.

• Why would successful sellers trust some random new sellers with their work.

Well, we’re not all sellers here, and when it comes to advice, I’ll take it from anyone. Ever heard of a focus group? Those groups give their opinions on movie trailers, products, ad campaigns, etc. Sometimes the “little people” know more than the experts. Sometimes successful sellers know what works for them, not what works for you.

In few years that I’m working on this website not even a single time I received genuine network/collaboration message.

They all just begging for work, even here I receive private messages asking how to get orders and I can help them and share my clients.

• Why would successful sellers trust some random new sellers with their work.

Well, we’re not all sellers here, and when it comes to advice, I’ll take it from anyone. Ever heard of a focus group? Those groups give their opinions on movie trailers, products, ad campaigns, etc. Sometimes the “little people” know more than the experts. Sometimes successful sellers know what works for them, not what works for you.

First of all this thread is 1 year old and it is resurrected again so not really sure why you quote me…

Second, you are fine that new sellers message you and beg you for work?

I’ll tell you my experience.

A few months ago, a seller, another seller from Bulgaria who I don’t know, messaged me after he saw somewhere on the Forum that I’m Bulgarian, and asked me if I will add his Gigs to my favorites, when you click that icon with the heart, you know.

I asked him why? He said that he wants to appear more busy, and sort of look like that his Gig is favorited by many actual buyers. That’s considered manipulating the system, I believe so.

He also shared with me that they’re a few people working on a single profile, living in a single apartment or something. That’s none of my business. I mean… I don’t even want to know.

I honestly don’t care about that, but he kept messaging me and that looked like bait to me, so I reported him. Nothing personal, I didn’t want to harm him, but I care more for my own well-being. He could’ve reported me actually, if I went and “favorited” his Gigs, which I did not do for obvious reasons.

Always be careful with people you don’t know. Be reserved. Especially other sellers. Maybe they want to pick your brain for some reason. Or maybe they have darker reasons and want your profile gone. Maybe you’re competition.

First of all this thread is 1 year old and it is resurrected again so not really sure why you quote me…

I “resurrected” the threat because I saw it on the right, obviously someone else brought it back to life. I clicked, saw your comment, and decided to respond.

Second, I hate sellers that message me begging for work. That is odious behavior, pathetic, and it doesn’t lead to sales.

Asking for advice is different, it cost nothing. My only rule is don’t say “Hi.”

I want, “Hi, can you tell me how to do x, y, z.”

Respect my time, get to the point quickly.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks. I didn’t intend to create a new and separate topic at first, but since I did I’ve deleted my duplicate comment. Thanks!

I’m just trying to be clear here… does this mean don’t contract work from other sellers? Because I would like to be able to have studio musicians on here play on tracks for recording sessions. I would obviously pay them their rate. But I will also be offering my own services like mixing and mastering. Is this against the rules?

I’m just trying to be clear here… does this mean don’t contract work from other sellers? Because I would like to be able to have studio musicians on here play on tracks for recording sessions. I would obviously pay them their rate. But I will also be offering my own services like mixing and mastering. Is this against the rules?

No, absolutely not. You can hire other sellers, and you can get hired by other sellers. That’s perfectly fine.

What’s not fine is messaging other sellers begging them to hire you, or begging them to tell you how to get work.

The only legitimate reason to message another seller is if you want to hire them to do something for you, and need to discuss your project with them first.

Of course, responding to messages coming from those who want to hire you, whether they also sell on Fiverr or not, is also perfectly fine (and expected).

But I will also be offering my own services like mixing and mastering.

Don’t offer your own services. If you want to hire someone that’s ok. But if you do don’t mix it in with asking them to hire you or offering your own services.

You absolutely cannot ask anyone to hire you or suggest it to them.

Thank you for this post!
I get this type of messages from time to time and I only direct them to Fiverr courses and TOS. Funny thing, last time I did this and the “seller” who contacted me proceed to copy my entire gig, changing just the name haha of course I reported but still, that was just silly. That proved to me that some people don’t really want to put effort, work and make a name for themselves, just how to make quick money and what worked for one person maybe won’t work for other.

Archived