Please message me before placing an order!

madowlvfx

Probably this tip has been posted already but it may also help new sellers.

Since this ’ PLEASE MESSAGE ME BEFORE YOU ORDER. ’ on top of your gig description tip dosn’t really work for me and buyer only rush the order button without reading a single word in your detailed gig description.

And since my two gigs are videos and intros related to Twitch streaming platform, i took advantage of my gig photos to upload this image :

548338052_Sanstitre-1.thumb.jpg.371545dd1d27c46e6042dc3a79745bce.jpg

And on my both gigs, i have like 4 requirements and the last one is this :

Say yes if you have read the description before placing this order, i’ll cancel the order if you didn’t provide me with the necessary files.

And everytime i get an order, their answer to this requirement is something similar to this :

yes. if there’s any additional info you need please reach out. thanks again.

And if there is a file or info missing that you NEED to start the project, they agree to extend the delivery time so they can send you what you’re asking for or they ask me to charge them for additional work that isn’t offered in the gig instead of finding another seller, and this happened to me few times, and once i deliver i get an extra tip just because i was kind and professionnal.

And this is the kind of messages i get :

I really love your attitude! Youre very professional and your work looks great i can prepare the files and get that to you by today 🙂

At the end, what you get from being kind, patient, and proffessionnal, returned buyers and extra money to reward your effort.

And just work on every order like if it what was your first order.

And i forgot to tell you that i didn’t get a single order that was canceled after i respected these tips.

Hope this will help you achieve your goals.
Your friend and Fiverr collegue,
Madowl

• Like 104
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

I’ve also been wondering why a buyer doesn’t have to agree to having read the service description before ordering. :thinking: It should be Fiverr making sure of that, not sellers. If any cancellation occurs due to buyer agreeing to having read the description, but didn’t, then a cancellation would not affect the seller in any way, except not getting paid for that order.

• Like 52
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest offlinehelpers

I’ve also been wondering why a buyer doesn’t have to agree to having read the service description before ordering. :thinking: It should be Fiverr making sure of that, not sellers. If any cancellation occurs due to buyer agreeing to having read the description, but didn’t, then a cancellation would not affect the seller in any way, except not getting paid for that order.

I’ve also been wondering why a buyer doesn’t have to agree to having read the service description before ordering

They do - there’s a check box especially for it, but they’re not held to it if they cancel, even if it’s because they’ve asked for things not included in the gig etc.

I’ve also been wondering why a buyer doesn’t have to agree to having read the service description before ordering

They do - there’s a check box especially for it, but they’re not held to it if they cancel, even if it’s because they’ve asked for things not included in the gig etc.

Interesting update! I didn’t see that last time I purchased. Though what is the point if they can lie about reading it? Feels like a lot of buyers don’t even read a word on what they are buying, and just order a gig blindly, and then are disappointed because they expected it to be different.

• Like 37

Guest offlinehelpers

Interesting update! I didn’t see that last time I purchased. Though what is the point if they can lie about reading it? Feels like a lot of buyers don’t even read a word on what they are buying, and just order a gig blindly, and then are disappointed because they expected it to be different.

This is what we see on the order page when they’ve checked the box:

agreement.jpg.736b11f79ba2e0acd0d984e7765ec25e.jpg

I do that too. Well, I don’t have an image like yours in my gigs but I mention that I need more info before I can give them my best offer, especially when I’m reaching out to a request post under Selling >> Buyer Requests. Buyer’s do appreciate it when you are thorough and transparent in your message to them. I have quite a few returning buyers because of this too.

• Like 41

• 1 year later...

I seriusly don’t know what else to do to make sure that buyers contact me before ordering! I’ve put it into the description and they don’t even bother reading it, so I decided to write it on the primary image of my gig, there’s literally no way you can NOT read that, it’s the first thing you see on my gig! and they still won’t message me before ordering.
I ususally don’t mind it if it’s something I can do, but now, someone just bought my gig (I make portraits, not vectors, they are pixel images) and in the requirements, they asked for a vector portrait. If you would’ve read my description, you would know that I don’t do that.
And now I don’t know what to do, I messaged the buyer saying that I can’t do vectors, but I’m afraid they’re gonna ask for cancellation. It’s so unfair because there’s literally nothing else I can do to warn people they should always message before ordering. And the only time I had to cancell an order my sales dropped completely, it was so sad for me.
If you have any advice on this, and on what can I do to not have to cancell this order, I’d love to know. Thank you.

• Like 35
  • Up 3

The problem is, it’s not binding. You may want them to contact you but you can’t force them to do that because fiverr as a platform doesn’t require buyers to contact sellers prior to placing the order. So it’s your preference, not a rule. It’s unfortunate and unfair but the only solution I’ve found for myself that actually worked was raising prices.

But you may try to contact CS and describe the situation in detail because occasionally they do resolve situations like this in seller’s favor (the order gets canceled but the completion rate remains unaffected).

There is also a chance that although they’ve assumed you do vectors based on how your artworks look, they won’t have anything against having it in raster.

• Like 32
  • Up 2

The problem is, it’s not binding. You may want them to contact you but you can’t force them to do that because fiverr as a platform doesn’t require buyers to contact sellers prior to placing the order. So it’s your preference, not a rule. It’s unfortunate and unfair but the only solution I’ve found for myself that actually worked was raising prices.

But you may try to contact CS and describe the situation in detail because occasionally they do resolve situations like this in seller’s favor (the order gets canceled but the completion rate remains unaffected).

There is also a chance that although they’ve assumed you do vectors based on how your artworks look, they won’t have anything against having it in raster.

You’re right. I just wish that, if they don’t wanna message me first, at least they would bother reading my descriptions.

I will contac CS, and I hope they can help me solve this. Thank you!

• Like 33

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone! I need advice to effectively communicate to buyers. The problem is many buyers are placing orders before contacting me. My gig’s description tells all buyers to message me before placing an order. Many buyers in recent weeks are ignoring the description. They just place an order and say they followed all of my directions when finalizing their order.

I just move on and complete the order in most cases. I only had to contact customer support on one occasion as a buyer wanted me to copy an article from another website. That is a major copyright violation.

I also own two websites and I will not write topics that will compete against me. That would be a counterproductive practice. I also will not write articles to support certain political beliefs. I would like to kindly turn down a request instead of cancelling it.

• Like 33

You can try to bold or highlight the text as well as put it in the beginning of your gig description. With this, that will be the first thing people will see when reading the gig description. Another way to get the message out is placing something like “contact me before ordering” on your gig photos. You can place it at the bottom of your gig photos, so it isn’t very intrusive.

• Like 30

Hi @blasterdark,

To be honest, there’s no real effective way to achieve it. Sorry for being so straightforward.

Fiverr is set so that anyone can place an order without previously contacting the seller. Yes, some buyers will be kind enough to contact you before ordering, but many others won’t.

• Like 34

• 4 months later...

Hi,
I Clearly mention message me before place your order. but maximum buyer order me without message me. so i have to cancel maximum order without Customer Support help. because customer support take 10 days+. my order competition goes down. what can i do now
Thank you

• Like 32

Buyer is not obliged to contact you before ordering even if you ask for it in Gig’s description.

You may want to set up your Gigs the way that you get all necessary information within the order process.

That means tweaking your Gigs’ description, requirements, package description etc.

You would need to avoid order cancellations to improve order completion rate. My advice is to spend some time with searching relevant topics here on forum. You may find the answers that work.

• Like 34
  • Up 2

No. i want order. but few buyer work difficult for me. i want to avoid this type order. without message me

Its not that simple, fiverr is designed like this, whilst I do not agree with this design you can’t force someone to contact you beforehand if the actual site wants you to buy with no hassle.

• Like 29

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, bodyediting said:

I want to restrict the buyer's ability to make an order without consulting me first on whether the job is possible.

Is there a way of doing this?

No, not directly. The entire model of Fiverr is that Buyers are supposed to be able to purchase quickly and easily. You can put language in your gig description or gallery image/video that requests that Buyers message you first, but they can still ignore that and order without doing so.

• Like 31

• 2 weeks later...

This is a rant with my buyer hat on. I know this has been discussed before here but I want to rant.

Bought a background removal gig for $5 yesterday. They are a new seller (I like supporting new sellers and I like that it was cheap). 

The first message I got from them was 'y u did not message first'.

This request wasn't in their gig description, but was in their requirements (it was the only thing in their requirements).

I think if you want buyers to message you first you are on the wrong platform! Go to another platform where that is how it works.

The joy of fiverr as a buyer is being able to find a service and buy it quickly whilst having confidence in the delivery deadline being met. It's like a supermarket. Buy what you want, when you want and get it when you expect.

If you're a seller that does this, may I ask why you do it? 

Do you not have confidence in being able to deliver the service you offer? Do you have too much work? What is the reason?

I'm 99% sure you can avoid the need to get a message first if you use the tools fiverr gives you, have a clear gig description and have clear requirements.

Rant over. 

• Like 49
  • Confused 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2