What's everyone's thoughts on life?

cyaxrex

So you’ve spiraled into an existential crisis/ quarter life crisis triggered by the loss of a close one. Almost everyone hits this stage at some point in their lives.

Almost all the platitudes have been made, so I’m contributing this :

As an euphemism of human beings trying to comprehend the meaning of life, almost all religions have attempted to grapple with this question of meaning of life and ended up providing cyclic and self-fulfilling explanations.

There is no inherent meaning to life. Life has whatever meaning you give to it.

The parable of the monk, the tiger and the strawberry:

One afternoon a devoted monk walked along a bubbling brook deep in the forest. He gathered water there every day. When he knelt to dip his bucket in the water, he heard the bushes rustle behind him. He turned and saw a huge tiger staring at him and licking his hungry lips.

The monk jumped up, dropped his bucket and fled. The tiger leapt after him. The monk ran deeper into the forest than he had ever gone before. He kept running. The tiger kept chasing.

The thick foliage ended at a steep cliff. The monk stopped short and looked over the edge. He saw sharp rocks hundreds of feet below. If he jumped, he would die.

The tiger began to pounce. The monk thought dying on the rocks below was better than being eaten alive. He jumped. He grabbed desperately at vines and roots on the cliff wall to slow his fall. He caught hold of a thick vine, gripped hard and stopped his fall. He looked up at the growling tiger above. He looked down at the rocks below.

At that moment, the monk saw a plump red strawberry hanging on the vine. He forgot the tiger and the rocks. He plucked the strawberry and popped it into his mouth. He bit down slowly and savored the delicious sweetness.

“This is the most delicious strawberry I have ever eaten,” the monk thought.

(this was copied from somewhere on the internet but it’s a famous parable, or sutra.)

One afternoon a devoted monk walked along a bubbling brook deep in the forest. He gathered water there every day. When he knelt to dip his bucket in the water, he heard the bushes rustle behind him. He turned and saw a huge tiger staring at him and licking his hungry lips.

The monk jumped up, dropped his bucket and fled. The tiger leapt after him. The monk ran deeper into the forest than he had ever gone before. He kept running. The tiger kept chasing.

The thick foliage ended at a steep cliff. The monk stopped short and looked over the edge. He saw sharp rocks hundreds of feet below. If he jumped, he would die.

The tiger began to pounce. The monk thought dying on the rocks below was better than being eaten alive. He jumped. He grabbed desperately at vines and roots on the cliff wall to slow his fall. He caught hold of a thick vine, gripped hard and stopped his fall. He looked up at the growling tiger above. He looked down at the rocks below.

At that moment, the monk saw a plump red strawberry hanging on the vine. He forgot the tiger and the rocks. He plucked the strawberry and popped it into his mouth. He bit down slowly and savored the delicious sweetness.

“This is the most delicious strawberry I have ever eaten,” the monk thought.

(this was copied from somewhere on the internet but it’s a famous parable, or sutra.)

And its visualization:

tiger-strawberry.thumb.jpg.96767ea0740cc84bbf7aaeae8b7f36c4.jpg

Here’s my tuppence worth. It’s taken a while to understand all the nuances of this existence.

Firstly, we’re just animals and biologically we live for no real purpose but to propagate the speicies. However, we are granted sentience and self-awareness and a bunch of other things that makes that not matter.

So, I have finally come to the conclusion that life really is a bunch of cliches:

• take a chance
  • financial security isn’t everything. If you can’t afford to live in the place you live, move to Goan beach
  • downsize
  • don’t put yourself in a position to regret not doing something
  • be kind, small charitable acts are worthwhile, appreciated & make a difference to the recipients (i am a huge fan of Misha Collins, founder of Random Acts Organisation). Also I signed up to be a ‘big sister’ this year.
  • Charity doesn’t have to be serious. Things can be fun too. We should all do GISHWHES this year.
  • don’t overstretch yourself. Don’t have a plan B. Put all your effort into plan A, otherwise you spend time on plan B that would have made plan A work 🙂
  • there is no such thing as ‘happy’. Don’t aspire to be happy. You’ll be disappointed.

Hello, back again for a wee while. Sorry for the absence but I’m deluged in work (low paying sadly) and life problems.

Of course, I don’t mean to be a sourpuss, but why call a sack of potatoes anything other than a sack of potatoes if it’s not anything else? Moreover, curiously, I am actually quite positive at present. Lately, I’ve had a Swedish woman fall in love with me, found a new home for my new rescue dog (who I got back to full health) and even talked to my mother the other day for over an hour without expleting once. - A damned good show for someone who swears at breakfast cereal the moment it’s out of the carton.

Anyway, enough about me. I’m annoyed at the moment, very annoyed. A lovely girl I knew eons ago passed away over Christmas and so I made a last ditch plan last week to fly home for her funeral. It was a bit odd as I haven’t actually known her for over 10 years but I figured it out when I got to our old childhood Pentecostal Church youth club where her funeral was held.

• She was just nice you see. No fame, no fortune, a well-known list of bad men and career faux pass’ behind her, but just lovely as in, yes, I’m looking about the congregation thinking “what God in hell or heaven would keep anyone of us alive and not Gemma?”

So what’s the point Oh Wisdom of the Fiverr Forum? I mean let’s face it, as soon as you’ve worked on Fiverr for a year you’re basically a computer nerd with an ego. That said, there’s not much out of Fiverr that’s anything. There’s the beauty of the sunset yes, but who actually looks at that and thinks, “Wow! Let’s do this every day and do something meaningful with our lives because of it?”

I’m starting to envy the idea of just sitting, letting the world fall away and just being for a while. I mean what is the point? This could all just melt away in a moment and I think very few of us are actually as happy as we would like to think we are.

Damn you world and Fiverrverse.

In any case, this is an interesting social experiment if nothing else. What’s your meaning of life? And if your particulary passionate about it, why?

P.S. I still don’t have any idea how to use this new forum but we’ll see how it goes.

There’s the beauty of the sunset yes, but who actually looks at that and thinks, "Wow! Let’s do this every day

I do that with the moon, if that counts.

I thought you didn’t worry about the future, writer.

So what, I may get banned from a forum for giving Cy some ideas and answering his question and sharing my opinion that war is dumb and futile and the duty is a myth peddled by warmongers who won’t send their own kids out to the killing fields? If you want to stop it, just don’t mention it and let the conversation evolve. I would like to register right now that I think getting banned for expressing a POV on a thread literally asking for them is pretty dumb beforehand. That’s not bashing anyone, just what I think.

Personally, @misscrystal’s far more accurate imho. But since we’re all here for the party, we should have fun between the odd episode of misery–right?

that war is dumb and futile and the duty is a myth peddled by warmongers who won’t send their own kids out to the killing fields?

…and/or by warmongers who do send their own kids out to the killing fields? (FIFY)

that war is dumb and futile and the duty is a myth peddled by warmongers who won’t send their own kids out to the killing fields?

…and/or by warmongers who do send their own kids out to the killing fields? (FIFY)

Duty is not just about fighting in a war…duty is about doing your job, taking care of your family, paying taxes, following the law of the land, etc. And yes, duty is also about fighting for your country if needed to. When an external force attacks your country, you cannot sit back and say war is for warmongers and it has nothing to do with me.

Duty is not just about fighting in a war…duty is about doing your job, taking care of your family, paying taxes, following the law of the land, etc. And yes, duty is also about fighting for your country if needed to. When an external force attacks your country, you cannot sit back and say war is for warmongers and it has nothing to do with me.

following the law of the land

Duty can also mean to not follow the law of the land. Many things depend on many things.

Hello, back again for a wee while. Sorry for the absence but I’m deluged in work (low paying sadly) and life problems.

Of course, I don’t mean to be a sourpuss, but why call a sack of potatoes anything other than a sack of potatoes if it’s not anything else? Moreover, curiously, I am actually quite positive at present. Lately, I’ve had a Swedish woman fall in love with me, found a new home for my new rescue dog (who I got back to full health) and even talked to my mother the other day for over an hour without expleting once. - A damned good show for someone who swears at breakfast cereal the moment it’s out of the carton.

Anyway, enough about me. I’m annoyed at the moment, very annoyed. A lovely girl I knew eons ago passed away over Christmas and so I made a last ditch plan last week to fly home for her funeral. It was a bit odd as I haven’t actually known her for over 10 years but I figured it out when I got to our old childhood Pentecostal Church youth club where her funeral was held.

• She was just nice you see. No fame, no fortune, a well-known list of bad men and career faux pass’ behind her, but just lovely as in, yes, I’m looking about the congregation thinking “what God in hell or heaven would keep anyone of us alive and not Gemma?”

So what’s the point Oh Wisdom of the Fiverr Forum? I mean let’s face it, as soon as you’ve worked on Fiverr for a year you’re basically a computer nerd with an ego. That said, there’s not much out of Fiverr that’s anything. There’s the beauty of the sunset yes, but who actually looks at that and thinks, “Wow! Let’s do this every day and do something meaningful with our lives because of it?”

I’m starting to envy the idea of just sitting, letting the world fall away and just being for a while. I mean what is the point? This could all just melt away in a moment and I think very few of us are actually as happy as we would like to think we are.

Damn you world and Fiverrverse.

In any case, this is an interesting social experiment if nothing else. What’s your meaning of life? And if your particulary passionate about it, why?

P.S. I still don’t have any idea how to use this new forum but we’ll see how it goes.

What’s your meaning of life? And if your particulary passionate about it, why?

I think I’ve found my calling.

There’s the beauty of the sunset yes, but who actually looks at that and thinks, "Wow! Let’s do this every day

The moon is incredibly beautiful much of the time.

Did you know it reflects light so well because it’s surface is made partially of glass? Strange but true.

Particles about a hundred microns wide—the size of a fine grain of beach sand—hit the moon with enough force to melt bits of moon rock, forming tiny glass bubbles.

Earth + Sun + Moon = Sacred Trio

Guest kate_johnson

Life is just another thing we have to endure. Now death, however, this is where the true fascination lies. I mean we’ve all experienced life in our own little way (some more than others), and it has become a routine, much like bodily functions. You don’t see anyone thinking twice about salivating, do you? Death is just it for me. Something to look forward to.

My thoughts on life are that ego is the devil
honesty always wins, and eventually makes you happy
but smiling all of the time gives you more fine lines, makes you look older; we don’t have to be happy or smile all the time
caring less about ‘being happy’ and more about education and experience provide the illusion that you matter
feeling like you matter, validation feels good
validation makes you feel like you’re worth something
then you try not to have an ego about it because ego is the devil, remember silly
the end

• 4 months later...

I don’t care about making my mark on this world, I will just live my life, do my duty, and not care what others think about me. My dad was in a very important position, everywhere he went, there were dozens of people hanging on to his every word. He changed the lives of thousands of people, gave jobs to hundreds, helped thousands establish a business/livelihood. The day after he died, he was forgotten. Everybody just forgot about him. The only time they think about him is with envy and with a lot of negativity, when they see me living comfortably and wonder how much money/property my father left me. So, really, I don’t care about making a mark on this world. I have a very low opinion of people.

I don’t care about making my mark on this world, I will just live my life

Although when it comes to belief, Writer and I have different opinions (I am a non believer), with this one I have the same thought as his. The reason why I don´t care about leaving a mark in this world is coz after I die, I will be totally disconnected from this world. So, I don´t see why it is so important to leave a mark. I just do my best to be a good person, well of course I am far from perfect. If people can learn from my good examples that´s good but if not it´s not my concern.

I am, however, worried about not leaving my mark upon the world.

I assure you that after you die and go to the afterworld you won’t think about it for a second, what you did here.

It literally won’t make a bit of difference to you what you left behind, aside from loved ones. It’s just ego talking.

It’s like worrying about leaving your mark upon a dream you had. It’s gone like a puff of smoke in the wind.

Life is a meaningless addiction we keep getting pulled back into repeatedly, with the illusion that is has meaning.

It’s pointless nonsense best recognized for the BS that it is. Enjoy it and be kind to others but don’t be attached to it.

I assure you that after you die and go to the afterworld you won’t think about it for a second, what you did here.

It literally won’t make a bit of difference to you what you left behind, aside from loved ones. It’s just ego talking.

It’s like worrying about leaving your mark upon a dream you had. It’s gone like a puff of smoke in the wind.

Life is a meaningless addiction we keep getting pulled back into repeatedly, with the illusion that is has meaning.

It’s pointless nonsense best recognized for the BS that it is. Enjoy it and be kind to others but don’t be attached to it.

Agreed 100%

(20 characterzzzz)

Archived