The power of asking questions

1 hour ago, fiverexpert1988 said:

Asking questions holds immense power as it fuels curiosity, stimulates critical thinking, fosters learning and understanding, and often leads to innovative solutions and insights. It's the gateway to exploration and discovery.It goes far beyond exchanging information. Summary. Asking questions is a uniquely powerful tool for unlocking value in organizations: It spurs learning tool.

Why do you use ChatGPT to write everything you post?

I'm feeling curiosity which has stimulated my critical thinking and fostered my desire to learn and understand, you see. 

Additionally, as a Fiverr expert, why did you choose to spell Fiverr wrong? Was this an innovative solution and insight that my mind is missing? Are you aware that there are a group of scammers going around right now pretending to be Fiverr? What was it in your expert knowledge that made you decide to associate yourself with this august group? 

I do agree that asking questions is a uniquely powerful tool for unlocking stuff and an "it spurs learning tool". You know what I think is better? Teaching people that everybody knows they are doing a terrible job of copypasta and breaking the forum rules by posting AI content without notifying users that their thoughts are not their own. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, visualstudios said:

"It spurs learning tool."

I highly doubt chatgpt wrote that, as it's grammatically incorrect.

I've seen GPT make mistakes worse than that. I'm not sure why people think these models can't make mistakes like that, but it happens. 

• Like 5
  • Up 1

Nah, it's just bad copypasta. ChatGPT clearly said a lot more than was posted there, but our expart friend probably snipped off the stuff that didn't look expart enough. Also, ChatGPT summaries are longer than that. They could be shorter, but ChatGPT doesn't like short. 

Edited by emmaki
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Up 2

2 minutes ago, emmaki said:

Nah, it's just bad copypasta. ChatGPT clearly said a lot more than was posted there, but our expart friend probably snipped off the stuff that didn't look expart enough. Also, ChatGPT summaries are longer than that. They could be shorter, but ChatGPT doesn't like short. 

I've read a lot of your comments renting about the use of AI, I wonder why ?

Not everyone has your ability/fluency, I would advise you to become more understanding and gentle, a lot of people here are originated from modest/poor families, speaking more than a language is a privilege. Using AI can help these people address better their message 😉 

• Like 6

Why should I be more gentle and understanding? People are using AI to defraud buyers on this platform and Fiverr is allowing it. Are you OK with that? Because it seems to me you haven't read any of my posts, just done a quick glance to see the keyword AI and gone "aha!" just as I scan most posts from people to check for GPT before I decide to engage. 

You are currently posting ChatGPT content on the forum complaining about the fact that Fiverr caught you with two accounts and that it should change its policies to suit people like you. Essentially. Let's be honest here. 

I speak more than one language too - I live abroad. What's the privilege? I see a lot of hard work and learning. No, the real privilege is having a tool that you (general you) can use to communicate without having to learn all of the words, concepts, and ideas of the other language and thinking you can just make money using the tool. Why read the rules? You speak English now. You have ChatGPT, and now you can have a machine speak for you. 

Your argument is not good. My problem, as I told a Fiverr staff member who told me I was being "negative" about AI yesterday, is that people are abusing it. AI is just a tool. As my rents have always pointed out. 

• Like 6
  • Up 3

13 minutes ago, yassine_no said:

Not everyone has your ability/fluency, I would advise you to become more understanding and gentle, a lot of people here are originated from modest/poor families, speaking more than a language is a privilege. Using AI can help these people address better their message

Then they shouldn't pretend they have it. Let me rephrase that last sentence for you:

"Using AI can help those people feign fluency and trick people into thinking they understand their needs, when in fact they understand nothing".

One thing is using extensions like grammarly to correct grammar and fix mistakes. Ok, you don't need to have perfect grammar and orthography to understand clients (as long as you do not work in a writing related field). But using AI to compose the entire thing? Nah, no excuse.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 5
  • Up 6

9 minutes ago, yassine_no said:

I've read a lot of your comments renting about the use of AI, I wonder why ?

Not everyone has your ability/fluency, I would advise you to become more understanding and gentle, a lot of people here are originated from modest/poor families, speaking more than a language is a privilege. Using AI can help these people address better their message 😉 

I'm sure Emma (that's your name, right?) can explain this better than I can, but here's my take on why I think you're wrong.

When people who lack real skills pretend to have them, it's the blind leading the blind. You suggest we should be more understanding and gentle, but there used to be a general agreement not to let dishonesty, begging, and incompetence win. Many people here come from humble families – in fact, I know several of them who now own their own businesses without resorting to deception or relying on tools like GPT.

Using AI asa  crutch because you're talentless (I'm not saying you are) makes people lazy instead of encouraging them to think for themselves and carve out their own success.

We're just playing a game of monkey see, monkey do.

• Like 5
  • Up 2

Posted (edited)

@yassine_no Let me ask you what you think of this particular example: 

A 19-year-old guy from Bangladesh dreams of starting his own business. He doesn't have any marketable skills, but he knows how to use ChatGPT, so he sets up a gig, using GPT to write the description, bio, gig image, and FAQ for him. His English is pretty basic, but with GPT, he doesn't feel the need to improve it.

After a couple of years, he's on the Fiverr forum, wondering why he isn't making any sales.

ChatGPT suggested he sell Amazon product descriptions, just like the 90,000 other Bangladeshians do, so that's what he did.

He's only got three reviews, no real success, speaks minimal English, and relies on GPT for everything.

What’s the moral here?

He didn’t learn. How did you learn? How did any of us? Not with GPT. We taught ourselves because we had to. Just like our grandparents knew how to use a washboard, we learned what we needed to because we had no choice.

If you think you don't need to keep learning, you’ll not only stop growing—you'll end up like that 19-year-old, sitting around in two years, wondering why you're not successful yet.

I really don’t think we’re helping the poor, weak, and underprivileged by giving them a crutch and telling them, "Here you go, use this, and you never have to think for yourself again."

And I'm using Bangladesh purely as an example here, because I know several highly successful people from Bangladesh who did this the hard way and won. The GPT fakers club didn't. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 9
  • Up 2

1 minute ago, smashradio said:

I really don’t think we’re helping the poor, weak, and underprivileged by giving them a crutch and telling them, "Here you go, use this, and you never have to think for yourself again."

Can someone send this memo to Fiverr? 

• Like 6

Indeed - but it is where the air of entitlement from some sellers is coming from, along with the mistaken belief that GPT is fine to use everywhere and that it is people who are criticising it who are the meanies who need to be more "kind". 

These type of stories usually don't end well for anyone. Or, as my mother liked to say a lot when I was young, "cruel to be kind" with the unspoken cruelty of kindness when unwarranted. 

• Like 5

Maybe if I rephrase it...

The approach to supporting economically disadvantaged and underrepresented communities should emphasize sustainable empowerment rather than short-term aid, by focusing on providing education and skill development to foster self-sufficiency and enable long-term success, thereby strengthening entire communities.

• Like 5
  • Up 2

24 minutes ago, yassine_no said:

Using AI can help these people address better their message 😉 

Using AI makes those people all look and read the same. As ChatGPT. Instead of looking like, you know, actual people.

Not to mention that people who constantly use ChatGPT to communicate seem, well, shady. To put it politely.

Not to mention: if I want to talk to ChatGPT, I'll go talk to ChatGPT. At least it's going to be far more entertaining.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, smashradio said:

A 19-year-old guy from Bangladesh dreams of starting his own business. He doesn't have any marketable skills, but he knows how to use ChatGPT, so he sets up a gig, using GPT to write the description, bio, gig image, and FAQ for him. His English is pretty basic, but with GPT, he doesn't feel the need to improve it.

In this particular case, I do agree. But the thing is you're talking about an exception here, I know a lot of people that are very good at their craft, they lack the fluency in English; While they understand the scope of services announced by the buyer, GPT for them is a way to finetune their communication and make it more professional and appealing to English speakers.

I agree that having GPT or AI in general as a substitue for communication is bad for the platform and its buyers (and the sellers too), but I do think that it can help the not-so-good English speakers, that are really good at their craft, speak in a better and a more professional manner.

Edited by yassine_no
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, yassine_no said:

GPT for them is a way to finetune their communication and make it more professional and appealing to English speakers.

They're faking their language proficiency, though.

And that can lead to misunderstandings (and very angry buyers).

• Like 7
  • Up 4

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, yassine_no said:

In this particular case, I do agree. But the thing is you're talking about an exception here

No, I'm not. Just check out the platform. It's flooded with sellers who have no skills, no clue what they're doing, and think they look professional because they use GPT for everything. Hate to burst their bubble, but that’s not how it works.

I know a lot of people that are very good at their craft, they lack the fluency in English;

And do you really think they'll improve their English by having everything translated into GPT nonsense? Every industry has been transformed by tech solutions that reduce manual labor. But we’ve kept our brains sharp throughout all of it. Believing you can leave your brain in bed when you head to work because of GPT is just fooling yourself.

GPT for them is a way to finetune their communication and make it more professional

Fine-tune? Do you have any idea how obvious it is to native/fluent English speakers?

but I do think that it can help the not-so-good English speakers, that are really good at their craft, speak in a better and a more professional manner.

Perhaps if they used it to learn English, instead of faking it. 

I just want to add to this: 

I watched a Fiverr webinar yesterday where a "writer" was telling people to use GPT instead of writing themselves, and then sell that content to Fiverr buyers. And this was  a webinar hosted by Fiverr. If that's not fakery, I don't know what is. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 5
  • Up 5