How do you deal with revision requests?

khalifacyrusuk

"Buyer has requested new revisions"

It can be a daunting notification to receive. Currently, buyers can continue to select 'request a revision' as many times as they like - regardless of how many revisions are allowed in the order/Gig.

Therefore, buyers can effectively abuse this function, meaning that they can prevent the order from ever being completed - effectively giving them all the power to keep requesting revisions from the seller, until they finally give up and make further changes (often for free). Many buyers know this, and continue to abuse this function to get revisions for free - holding the seller at hostage for their work.

What's your experience with this? Have you experienced it? How do you deal with it?

• Like 20
  • Up 3

I rarely receive requests for revisions these days.

I have 'Request to Order' on.

I thoroughly discuss the project with the client before ordering. And I also, produce samples to agree on the style, if needed,

However, I do think that the platform should only allow the buyer to request the number of revisions that came with the gig. Any further revisions should be purchased. Remember those old arcade machines? Insert coin to continue!

Edited by sunboatrecords
  • Like 21

14 minutes ago, sunboatrecords said:

I rarely receive requests for revisions these days.

I have 'Request to Order' on.

I thoroughly discuss the project with the client before ordering. And I also, produce samples to agree on the style, if needed,

However, I do think that the platform should only allow the buyer to request the number of revisions that came with the gig. Any further revisions should be purchased. Remember those old arcade machines? Insert coin to continue!

That's great for you! 

However, by providing examples, do you perhaps feel you are effectively doing revision requests.. but just in a different form?

Yes - I agree with you, it would be great if the revision requests were limited to the amount specified in the order!!

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, khalifacyrusuk said:

However, by providing examples, do you perhaps feel you are effectively doing revision requests.. but just in a different form?

Not at all! This only happens in audio restoration and I am just managing clients' expectations. It is due to the nature of the job. The result is dependent on the state of the source. We have to show the client what to expect. Every case is different. It takes a few minutes anyway.

I do not provide samples in any other area of my expertise. I point them to my portfolio where I have enough examples!

• Like 14

12 hours ago, khalifacyrusuk said:

What's your experience with this? Have you experienced it? How do you deal with it?

I rarely receive revision requests, and when I do they are typically simple fixes. I offer two free revisions and charge for additional work after that. (Haven't happen yet)

If you stick to your principals and maintain good working relationships, most buyers will compromise. If they go to customer support, the CS will take a good look at the work and decide whether to stand by you (or the opposite). 

2 hours ago, khalifacyrusuk said:

At times, I receive requests to do a small "sample" of my work by translating a portion of the client's work for free. One such request was for a translation of 250 words from a 500-word document; at the time, I charged $5 for such work. I didn't do it. 

image.png.d5b1e39b806d4f970f32080cca24c79b.png

These days, I feel confident enough to say "I do business, not charity" to people who request free samples / free work.

You are a top-rated seller for a reason. Please feel free to point out that fact when customers make unreasonable requests. You have over 500 reviews, so if additional evidence is needed, I don't know what would suffice.

• Like 17

17 hours ago, khalifacyrusuk said:

Never had any customer ask for more than the 2 free revisions I offer. Some didn't ask for any at all. I am with you on that one: buyers tend to abuse the revision button a lot.

I have a "please inbox me before placing your order" warning on my gig. Only had 1 customer who placed an order without asking me first, but he was straightforward with his requests and really didn't need any further communication. Knowing what the customers expect from you is key to avoid that dreaded revision request.

Also when I make my final delivery, I remind them that the gig only offers two free revisions, and I encourage them to ask me to change multiple things at once in case they request one. Knowing that giving me chops of information and more requests costs them money is a perfect motivation for them to be clear and thorough 🤭

Edited by moonstaredits
  • Like 18

• 7 months later...

I am facing this issue and it can be depressing. I mean you end up with working for a couple dollars per hour? For quality service? Quote from a buyer „You got to be proud of you‘re work, huh?“. It is really SAD that fiverr equips buyers with unfair means. UNFAIR

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, django2web said:

I am facing this issue and it can be depressing. I mean you end up with working for a couple dollars per hour? For quality service? Quote from a buyer „You got to be proud of you‘re work, huh?“. It is really SAD that fiverr equips buyers with unfair means. UNFAIR

You do not understand the revision system at all. It is not unfair, but it does require you to communicate effectively and act like a business person.  For example, if your gig comes with 1 free revision, then when someone asks for the first revision, you are required to provide it. If they request additional revisions beyond that, you simply tell them that the gig came with one free revision, which they have received and that you would be happy to provide any additional revisions at a good price.  Then tell them how much.

I include zero revisions in my gigs, so when someone asks for a revision, I always respond with an offer. 

I never understand the mentality of people who can't grasp this concept. It would be like a restaurant owner saying, "I hate when they order more food." Revisions are a revenue generator after the ones included in the gig.  The buyer can always ask for more work, it is up to you as a professional to manage what is included in the original order and what is additional.

Why is this so hard to understand? 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 9
  • Up 1

On 7/25/2023 at 1:26 AM, newsmike said:

You do not understand the revision system at all. It is not unfair, but it does require you to communicate effectively and act like a business person.  For example, if your gig comes with 1 free revision, then when someone asks for the first revision, you are required to provide it. If they request additional revisions beyond that, you simply tell them that the gig came with one free revision, which they have received and that you would be happy to provide any additional revisions at a good price.  Then tell them how much.

I include zero revisions in my gigs, so when someone asks for a revision, I always respond with an offer. 

I never understand the mentality of people who can't grasp this concept. It would be like a restaurant owner saying, "I hate when they order more food." Revisions are a revenue generator after the ones included in the gig.  The buyer can always ask for more work, it is up to you as a professional to manage what is included in the original order and what is additional.

I agree! I include a single revision, and send an offer if a client requests more. I do wish fiverr had some systematic process that would connect the included revisions to the revision request process.

While I agree with the myriad sellers that want these kind of restrictions on revision requests so buyers can’t just request revisions infinitely, that’s not my main reason for suggesting this. It’s more that it is just more convenient for all parties.

If you’re simply going to send an offer for a revision manually, it’s a shame the system can’t just offer the revision extra at a preset price for the customer.

They can place an order without having to speak to the seller; so it would seem that it would save everyone time if they could just buy a revision from within the order page too.

I can foresee challenges with this kind of automation but I don’t think it’s anything that can’t be solved.

This is the feature that would make me by seller plus, if it were included.

• Like 10

On 7/25/2023 at 2:26 AM, newsmike said:

I wrote this comment in a state where I already had a lot of work done and the client communicated that he won‘t approve any work before this revision(s) was/were done etc.

Yes, I tried to stop it and told him we need to do this in another gig (tried to find compromisses), but it ended up in a dispute (his descision) where he received all his money back. Even the money from the first approved milestone. However I am still in contact with the Fiverr support, so this is not fixed yet.

That‘s my case, I can‘t speak for others. I will use your technique for further orders fore sure, don‘t get me wrong: I am still a beginner here who is doing it as a side hustle and appreciate your advice: I was overwhelmed by the tactic of the buyer and was afraid not to get my money.

*I am sorry for the emotional reaction there, I should‘ve commented in a better way.

Edited by django2web
Last line
  • Like 8