Poll: How long do you keep project files?

sunboatrecords

How long do you keep project files?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you keep project files?

• Until the end of the order.
    • 2-4 weeks.
    • 1-3 months.
    • 3-6 months.
    • Indefinitely.

Straightforward question!

How long do you keep the project files of your clients? Are you dealing with large files?

Sometimes, this can get very challenging, especially if you are working with video or other large size material.

At the moment, I am keeping the project files indefinitely, but I am considering to delete them after 3 or 6 months.

In some cases, project files can get up to 20-40 gigabytes, if I am dealing with 4K videos.

How do you deal with this situation?

Looking forward to your responses.

• Like 14

Indefinitely for me! 

Because my buyers will definitely come back after 3 or 4 years for changes or updates so I usually keep all the data of each order/work with myself.

Funny thing: I have source files of my all 8 years still 😅😎 

I usually keep them in external hard drives. I have 2 Hard Drives. One is of 1 TB and other is of 2TB. 2TB is one 100% Full so using 1TB one for now!

• Like 11

6 hours ago, sunboatrecords said:

How long do you keep the project files of your clients? Are you dealing with large files?

Sometimes, this can get very challenging, especially if you are working with video or other large size material.

At the moment, I am keeping the project files indefinitely, but I am considering to delete them after 3 or 6 months.

In some cases, project files can get up to 20-40 gigabytes, if I am dealing with 4K videos.

How do you deal with this situation?

Looking forward to your responses.

I think saving them in a hard disc/ drive will be helpful because of future reference.

• Like 10

Picked indefinitely. Because I recently had a client from nearly a year ago, return to me looking to purchase a short screenplay I worked on for them previously. 

Before that, I outlined a screenplay for another client. Who then returned for an add-on order, to the earlier outline job.  

If I hadn’t kept either file, I would’ve been in quite the pickle. 

• Like 9

On 10/17/2022 at 7:45 AM, sunboatrecords said:

Generally, other than things I know won't be needed ever again 111%, I keep everything, and shove "done, probably never need to look at it again" files into zip folders within my client folders at the end of the year.

The ones I will or might have to refer to again in the nearer future, remain in their client folder. Depending on how many files per client, I move them to a "2022(or whatever the past year was)" folder within the client folder. I have many regular clients, and searching things by client/project is more useful than by year(/month), for me, than making years (/months) my main structure. I do have yearly zip folders, too, with things that likely are one-off jobs, once a year jobs, etc., and definitely won't be needed as "reference material", to not end up with a folder structure with thousands of client folders, though.

I've had a client with a worst case scenario a while ago, coming back quite a while after order completion, as their laptop had died, and they didn't have any backups, and it was a whole book... I have no idea how long Fiverr will keep the files, so I feel safer keeping them myself.

I have considered writing up a delivery message template in which I remind customers to download and backup their files, as I'll only keep them for x time and don't know for how long they'll be able to re-download them from Fiverr. However, I've had/have clients who aren't well organized, and ask me for this or that file again, or how we did it there, and, in sum, for me, it's the better (quicker) solution to keep everything myself, within my own system of ordering. Between zip folders and erasing unneeded "file multiples" (temporary versions, duplicate downloads, etc.) on the go, I don't really have storage issues, external drives being big and cheap enough now. 

If you wouldn't be using external drives anyway, else, and want to digital nomad it with just the tiniest computer possible, and no additional baggage, I guess it would make sense to add something about not storing files for more than x time, and customers responsible for keeping their own files and having to provide them in case they'll be relevant for future work to the delivery messages (shrug, and go "told ya", if neither customer nor Fiverr then come up with a file that you'd need again at some point).
Me, I('d) have external backup drives for private stuff like photos, music, things I don't want in the cloud, and such, anyway, so I just get big enough drives for my backup system (don't forget the rule of 3, and keep one drive at a relative's or friend's house, and swap the backup drives out regularly, while we're at it, people, remember that the guy who'll steal your laptop might fancy your external drive, as well, and fire and water aren't picky, either ;)), and am done.

If I had loads of massive and unzippable files to store that even drives in the TB range would hiss at, I'd decide on a "storage time" that would make sense/be the best compromise, and save a pre-written "file storage reminder" QR to add to my delivery messages.
Just in case anyone needs this addendum, and fears that it will sound harsh to a customer if you apparently don't want to store their precious files for all eternity and beyond: That reminder could focus on data security (your scheduled safe disposal of old files), or customers being able to access their files at any point (what will they do if you're not on Fiverr any more next time they come back and need an old file?) instead of storage space. You don't have to write it like "Store your files yourself, I don't have that many TBs left." 😉 

• Like 7
  • Up 2

10 minutes ago, sunboatrecords said:

Let's hope that more of our members notice the poll.

So I have noticed this thread and have been thinking over this the past few days. My record retention policy depends on my gig, the file, and other factors - so I don't have one timeframe that covers everything.

For my resume writing gig, I delete these files as soon as possible because these documents contains confidential contact and personal information that I believe I have no right to have/retain after the order closes. If I need the files, I can just pull it from the order page/or inbox chat. I also let my buyers know that I will be deleting their files so that they are aware of my record retention policy.

Other gigs, I'm more flexible with and have been retaining indefinitely (especially my curriculum orders that take weeks, even months to build).

Also, I retain buyer-provided documents differently than documents that I create on my own. Buyer-provided documents are archived as I'm creating my project, and then deleted when I make deliveries. I also retain copies of in-process work/different deliveries differently based on the gig. 

On 10/17/2022 at 2:45 PM, sunboatrecords said:

I wish this was a simple question to answer! The more I think about it, I find that there are more levels for me to explore and question. 😂

I might be able to vote in the poll, but I'm currently indecisive on which options I should pick!

• Like 8

On 10/17/2022 at 1:45 AM, sunboatrecords said:

I do voice overs, narrations, audiobooks and sometimes video narrations. I try to keep all, because you never know when that person will come back or you may need it to show what you can do to make a script come alive or sound different, better. I know some of you have large files of videos which can take up a lot of space. I have been using Microsoft One Drive. It is free since I pay for the Office program. It includes Word, Powerpoint, Excel, OneNote etc. Also Google Drive is a good place if you do not use Microsoft programs; although I think they possibly might charge if you go over a certain amount of storage. Dropbox is another good one, but they do charge and it isn't that much. Or you could get an outside hard drive to store everthing on. Mine only cost $80.00 and it has a lot of storage. Hope this helps.

Edited by kendal1747
  • Like 8

On 10/20/2022 at 1:53 PM, sunboatrecords said:

Fellow Fiverrlings,

That is funny. Fiverrlings sounds familiar. Is there a movie that has a similar name in it? Wait, it's Star Wars. The Changelings are the ones I am thinking about. It's "Attack of the Clones", I believe. Great Movie

• Like 8

Indefinitely. 

I had someone from 2016 coming back last year and placing an order “to give a bit an update to the previous design”. The previous design was $10, they’ve paid $65 for the new one and attached the old file for reference. I wasn’t sure what year it was for a moment. Threw me back in time a little bit.

The entire bottom half (contact information, description, logo, etc.) had to remain the same. So keeping a source file came in handy. 

I only delete the files if I have no desire to work with the person again. 

Edited by lenasemenkova
  • Like 8
  • Up 2