The Tip feature needs to be rethought and completely optional.

kenvernon

Maybe a better wording would be something like “do you want to give your freelancer a bonus for a job well done?”

Bonuses are ok … tips are for low paid workers. And bonuses are taxable.

Bonus are taxable by the state. Not by the company. Fiverr is not a state, it can’t tax anything.

• Like 7

Well, yes … but the truth is that “bonus” implies some part of it is going to be taken out by the state, fiverr, whatever. A bonus costs more to give (and receive) than a tip.

The whole tip thing is a discussion about whether or not it’s insulting, imo …

• Like 6

Well, yes … but the truth is that “bonus” implies some part of it is going to be taken out by the state, fiverr, whatever. A bonus costs more to give (and receive) than a tip.

The whole tip thing is a discussion about whether or not it’s insulting, imo …

I don’t know how it works where you’re from. Where I’m from, all earnings are taxable, including tips. And a bonus doesn’t cost more to give than a tip. It’s all the same. Well, there’s a difference - tips are “under the table”, so you can not declare them. It’s illegal, but impossible to fiscalize.

• Like 8

Huh. That’s interesting. A tip here is generally given in cash. Usually not taxable. A bonus, on the other hand, is structured as part of salary …

Here it’s cash as well. But all cash you receive is taxable. The thing is, you have to declare it. It’s illegal not to do so. But it’s near impossible to get caught.

• Like 6

Agreed with the wording being wrong, and agreed with the fee on tips being unfair. With that said, it’s nice to get tips. I’m not part of the tipping culture, but I don’t see how a freelancer is less deserving of a tip than the guy who gets me my pizza. Our work demands more skill, better communication and client handling, etc.

A pizza delivery person does not set his/her own compensation. A freelancer does. A freelancer determines what the job is worth to him/her and can charge accordingly. The buyer expects the job to be well-done.

• Like 8

A pizza delivery person does not set his/her own compensation. A freelancer does. A freelancer determines what the job is worth to him/her and can charge accordingly. The buyer expects the job to be well-done.

If a pizza delivery person is not happy with his base salary, go do something else that pays better. Just like a freelancer. Depending on tips is not a good method regardless of profession.

• Like 7

If a pizza delivery person is not happy with his base salary, go do something else that pays better. Just like a freelancer. Depending on tips is not a good method regardless of profession.

Fair point. I feel our culture (in the U.S.) has gotten too tip-happy. When I go out to eat and the server brings my food, refills my drinks, checks on me, they deserve a tip. When I go out to eat and go up to the counter to order my food, get my own soft drink, and bus my own table, I find it annoying when they have a tip jar at the counter. In my opinion, Fiverr is like the latter example (charging a fee on the tip).

• Like 9

Fair point. I feel our culture (in the U.S.) has gotten too tip-happy. When I go out to eat and the server brings my food, refills my drinks, checks on me, they deserve a tip. When I go out to eat and go up to the counter to order my food, get my own soft drink, and bus my own table, I find it annoying when they have a tip jar at the counter. In my opinion, Fiverr is like the latter example (charging a fee on the tip).

Yeah, that’s a way different culture. When I go to a restaurant and the server does all that, they get a salary for it. If I’m inclined to do so, if I love the service, I may leave a tip, but that’s completely at my discretion. He’s just doing his job.

If I order something from a freelancer and he bumps me up in the order queue, he delivers way sooner than expected, he goes above and beyond, he deserves a tip way more than a server that is just doing his job.

Also, a server constantly checking on me is a good way to get me annoyed. I’ll call you when I need you, leave me alone otherwise. It’s intrusive.

• Like 8

Yeah, that’s a way different culture. When I go to a restaurant and the server does all that, they get a salary for it. If I’m inclined to do so, if I love the service, I may leave a tip, but that’s completely at my discretion. He’s just doing his job.

If I order something from a freelancer and he bumps me up in the order queue, he delivers way sooner than expected, he goes above and beyond, he deserves a tip way more than a server that is just doing his job.

Also, a server constantly checking on me is a good way to get me annoyed. I’ll call you when I need you, leave me alone otherwise. It’s intrusive.

Ya, that’s way different than AMerica where the server is paid by the employer a very low wage b/c it is customary for servers to receive tips; and they do receive tips when they are good. We don’t view it as intrusive when the server refills drinks and comes back to make sure the food was prepared to our liking. (Good servers do not “constantly” check on their tables, for that would not be good service.) The bigger issue is that Fiverr charges an additional fee when one tips.

• Like 8

Let’s face it, it’s just another way for Fiverr to make a bit more money.

I don’t actually have an issue with the concept of tipping, as I (as the seller) stand to benefit, as does Fiverr. It’s fine, it’s business.

However, I do agree that the wording is very poor - but it will have been deliberate. Yes, it does almost ‘guilt’ the buyer into handing over more money.

• Like 11

Let’s face it, it’s just another way for Fiverr to make a bit more money.

I don’t actually have an issue with the concept of tipping, as I (as the seller) stand to benefit, as does Fiverr. It’s fine, it’s business.

However, I do agree that the wording is very poor - but it will have been deliberate. Yes, it does almost ‘guilt’ the buyer into handing over more money.

I agree. Let’s suppose Fiverr instead handled it this way:

When the buyer places the order: “After you receive the order, you will have an opportunity to review the seller and have an option of tipping if you feel you received exceptional service that warrants it.” This would alert the buyer to factor that tip into the budget. (I spent $500 recently, so it would have been nice to plan to expect to pay another $100.) Then, after the order, a simple two questions: 1.) “How satisfied were you with the service?” 2.) “Would you like to leave a tip for the seller?”

• Like 8

I agree. Let’s suppose Fiverr instead handled it this way:

When the buyer places the order: “After you receive the order, you will have an opportunity to review the seller and have an option of tipping if you feel you received exceptional service that warrants it.” This would alert the buyer to factor that tip into the budget. (I spent $500 recently, so it would have been nice to plan to expect to pay another $100.) Then, after the order, a simple two questions: 1.) “How satisfied were you with the service?” 2.) “Would you like to leave a tip for the seller?”

If you want a tip so much, why not increase your price point to include the desired tip?

• Like 7

Regarding tipping: I used to get a lot of large tips, sometimes almost as much as the price of the order.

By limiting buyers and offering them set tip prices such as 10%, 15%, it also limits the amount of the tips I get. People who would be inclined to leave me a tip of $40 for example now see the range of tip prices pre selected and feel like they should only tip 15%. Before they didn’t think in percentage terms.

They are limiting the amount of tips.

They need to test saying simply Would you like to leave a tip? How much? Your tip will not have an additional service fee___________

(Extras don’t have an additional service fee so I’m not sure why tips need one.)

• Like 5

Fiverr takes 20% of our tips to ensure we don’t abuse the system. If it wasn’t in place a seller could simply charge $5 for a $100 order and receive the other $95 as a tip. So instead of Fiverr making $20 off that seller, they would only make $1.

Yes the tip wording should be revised.

• Like 5

Fiverr takes 20% of our tips to ensure we don’t abuse the system. If it wasn’t in place a seller could simply charge $5 for a $100 order and receive the other $95 as a tip. So instead of Fiverr making $20 off that seller, they would only make $1.

Yes the tip wording should be revised.

So this is a great point. And is precisely why the concept of tipping freelancers on Fiverr is unwise. Just let people charge what they charge. Adding tipping just makes the process more convoluted, leaving people to wonder, “what should I do,” “what’s proper?” And leaving a bad taste in people’s mouths b/c they feel they were bilked for more of their money. I’m happy to pay for a service. I’m not happy on the backend when asked to give more for that service when it is not customary, and feeling guilty if I decline. The other issue is, adding a tip charges your card a second time. Just tell me what to pay, and if I think it’s worth it, I’lll pay. If it is exceptional service, that’s great. That is what I expect. If it’s shitty service, then I’ll leave a bad review.

• Like 7

Taking 20% of the tip like anything else we sell is fine but the service fee discourages tipping. It should be treated like the extras. When someone chooses to get an additional extra they don’t pay an additional service fee.

1. the service fee has cut way down on tipping
  2. listing the percentages of tips to choose from, 10%, 15% etc., limits the size of the tips we get.

Before if I sold a service for $100 I might get a $30 tip. That is now cut in half when people see the percentages listed for them. While someone might have no problem giving a 30 tip, when they see it's 30% that sounds like it's too much so they tip 15.

I kept wondering why I was getting such small tips until I saw that the percentages are now listed for clients. Bad move.

• Like 8

This is what the review system is for! If someone provides exceptional service, they get exceptional reviews, and thus more business. If the service sucks, they get bad reviews, and less business. When you add arbitrary tipping into the mix, you start an unnecessary guessing game. THe buyer is thinking, “I’ll charge $500, but I hope to get a $100 tip.” The buyer thinks, “I budgeted $500 and got the great service I expected … now I’m being guilted into paying another $100.” ONe of two things is almost inevitible: The buyer feels fleeced, or the seller feels fleeced. Just charge $600 and be done with it.

• Like 8

Taking 20% of the tip like anything else we sell is fine but the service fee discourages tipping. It should be treated like the extras. When someone chooses to get an additional extra they don’t pay an additional service fee.

1. the service fee has cut way down on tipping
  2. listing the percentages of tips to choose from, 10%, 15% etc., limits the size of the tips we get.

Before if I sold a service for $100 I might get a $30 tip. That is now cut in half when people see the percentages listed for them. While someone might have no problem giving a 30 tip, when they see it's 30% that sounds like it's too much so they tip 15.

I kept wondering why I was getting such small tips until I saw that the percentages are now listed for clients. Bad move.

If you charge $100 and hope to get a $30 tip, why don’t you just charge $30? I would happily pay $130. I would not be happy if I planned to pay $100, and then felt llike I was guilted into paying another $30. It’s probably b/c FIverr made it an option so they could get more money themselves.

• Like 7

On 7/1/2020 at 10:23 PM, samson801 said:

now I’m being guilted into paying another $100.

It’s the wording that is the problem. People enjoy giving tips and among Americans at least it’s a custom for lots of things. Yes they are being told it’s customary when that seems like a forced obligation, and it takes away the pleasure in tipping people get. It needs to be given freely.

It’s pressuring clients to give a tip which kills the entire experience.

I used to get large tips about one third of the time. Now it’s not that common to get any tip and if I do it’s usually only 15%.

Maybe that’s just my own experience, but I keep wondering why fiverr does it this way.

Imagine going into a restaurant, and on the check before you pay you see the sentence:

It’s customary to give a tip. People would be outraged and not tip due to that. 

• Like 12