Fiverr Fees Are Too High

Guest selfmadengineer

I was shocked to see that when I decided I wanted to leave a tip they suddenly wanted to charge me £1.70 to leave a tip. I decided to tip the seller, not fiverr, yet they unexpectedly demand money in order to tip. Makes you think “ok, well I won’t bother tipping then” (or as eventually decided, to go back and deduct £1.70 from the tip to make up for the silly fee)

I can understand they have expenses and have to run a business, but to charge to give an optional extra is plain greedy and outrageous.

If a restaurant has policies on what happens to tips given to servers, they don’t shun it so blatantly into your face that the person you are tipping won’t receive all the money. I’d rather just pay a total and fiverr can deduct whatever it’s ToS states behind my back!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

It’s horrible, they’re so damn greedy. 20% is flat out insane, but then they also double dip and charge the buyer. They took over $100 from a $350 sale. All for just offering escrow service for craiglist ads. Fiverr doesn’t actually do anything, and their overhead to run the site is next to zero, because the only service they offer is holding your money. It’s a pretty smart scam, TBH.

• Like 12

Fiverr created a place where sellers and buyers are connected. There is a lot money and effort Fiverr put for their Business. They have beautiful functionalities and security system. The programmers are knew that how these things are really hard to maintain and costly. I think Fiverr do their right thing and these charges are fair.

This is BS. They’re just offering escrow for classified ads. Fiverr has almost no overhead outside of server space and a relatively small payroll. Their business model is almost all profit for very little effort on their part.

• Like 13

If Fiverr was a free service, it would have gone broke some time ago and you wouldn’t be getting any work.

I look at the Fiverr fees as a commission to the source that brought me the work.

I also charge enough to make it worth my while after Fiverr takes their fees.

• Like 14

Guest ruthsalmun

I dont like it as much either, but since Im using it I think its fair since its their platform, you can always choose to use other platforms. As long as the fees dont get higher I think Ill stay lol

Fiverr is far from the worst platform.
They have a lot of things to improve, and cutting their greed would be great. It is especially shitty that they take from our tips. I can guarantee I have lost out on tips entirely, because the buyer does not want to pay extra/have my money taken away. I wish that there was a way to pin this site down on that…

• Like 13

It’s horrible, they’re so damn greedy. 20% is flat out insane, but then they also double dip and charge the buyer. They took over $100 from a $350 sale. All for just offering escrow service for craiglist ads. Fiverr doesn’t actually do anything, and their overhead to run the site is next to zero, because the only service they offer is holding your money. It’s a pretty smart scam, TBH.

In order to sell here, we don’t have to pay up front. While some might consider 20 percent a bit of a steep commission, the alternative is to pay a large chunk up front in order to set up shop. On one hand, that might not be a bad idea, considering the number of people who flock to the site under the misguided impression that they’re going to “get rich quick.” On the other hand, that would be quite a hinderance to a lot of freelancers who are serious, and do have great value to offer, but not necessarily a lot of start-up funds.

Along the same lines, I think the fees they’re charging buyers was also an attempt to cull scammers and less-serious buyers? I mean, yes, more money, more profit of course, a business is going to do what a business needs to do not only to survive, but to thrive and expand. But Fiverr has made a lot of improvements over the years, especially fairly recently, and I think forcing folks to have a little more skin in the game, so to speak, was also an attempt to improve the quality of buyers to the platform as well. I also think spreading the love a bit is also better than absorbing an even higher commission than our current 20%.

Fiverr does a LOT of advertising. The amount of advertising Fiverr does on our behalf is WAY more extensive than I could pull off on my own. You could always try to round up as much traffic as they do, yourself. :woman_shrugging: Frankly, I’m happy to put that time and effort into other areas of my business, and let Fiverr do its thing. 😃

I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a perfect system. It does make me twitch a little to see that 20 percent cut, and I have struggled through some bugs and glitches in the system, as well as a handful of less than pleasant customers. I’d love to see something along the lines of a scale of reduced fees the more money spent, or even as a reward for achieving higher levels as sellers. But since I’m not privy to Fiverr’s overhead, payroll or other costs (is there a way to find that information out?), I have no idea if that’s even a feasible suggestion.

But they aren’t just sitting stagnant letting a swamp of unscrupulous scammy buyers and lackluster, get-rich-quick sellers take over the whole platform. They’ve improved over time, and those improvements aren’t free, or cheap.

And since cost of living pretty much everywhere on the planet never ever decreases, don’t be surprised when you see fees getting adjusted to compensate. We just have to remember to adjust our own businesses to keep up, as well.

• Like 12
  • Up 2

This is BS. They’re just offering escrow for classified ads. Fiverr has almost no overhead outside of server space and a relatively small payroll. Their business model is almost all profit for very little effort on their part.

Their business model is almost all profit for very little effort on their part.

They had 36 million $ in losses in 2019.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

“Fiverr doesn’t actually do anything”… eh, what?

If Fiverr “does nothing”, tell me how I earned $53,000 inside 20 months from Fiverr, without having any other way to meet those buyers. It’s unlikely I’d have met these buyers without Fiverr and all the “nothing” that it apparently does, ha.

Have you any idea what it costs to market Fiverr to global customers?

• Like 15

• 1 year later...

I was shocked.  I got good service and understand that Fiverr needs to charge a commission for the original service.  But not the tip.  Was going to be charged £1.84 in addition to the £5 tip.  That's not 20% as some people have said, it is an additional 37% when I was at school.  Downright extortion.  I often ask in a restaurant how the tips are managed as some owners use tips as part of the salaries.  FIVERR should re-think their terms and conditions.  

• Like 13
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, michmikaia said:

I haven't claimed about the 20%. But this quite a good idea. 

This seems interesting. Personally in all my years working with Fiverr I've never had an issue with their 20% rate. I work in other fields as well like merchandising, and the percentage for consignment items can go all the way to 50% which makes the 20% on Fiverr a great one. All about perspective I guess.

• Like 11
  • Up 1

• 2 months later...

Transaction today, can confirm, as a buyer;
(small gig) ~5.5% fee on gig
~34% on tip. 
Which is how I found this thread. 
In my view, 34% on tip is a bit obscene, especially when your other gig fees are 6x+ lower. 
You kind of expect the fees to be fairly consistent when you hit the "tip" button. Not 6 times plus higher. 
That's shady in my view. 
I still do it, but it leaves a bad taste. 
I'm going to instead, advise my freelancer to charge more which is not a great model at all because this is a very free market type system but Fiverr is forcing this with those exorbitant tip fees. 

Interested to know if the 20% on the seller side is across board still. Gigs and tips both 20%. 
If so then tips are a dumb idea from a transactional standpoint for buyers and sellers. 

Edited by formspaceco
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2021 at 1:18 PM, rendernew said:

200-300 ?? Are you for real sir ROFL? 50 percent , i would instantly deactivate my account as i have delivered more than 900$ orders , if it was 50 percent i would be driving uber instead

agree

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 5:55 PM, smfrajobs said:

Hi @selfmadengineer,

First you have to understand what service you received from Fiverr. Fiverr gives you opportunity to do freelance job and safety with security. So Fiverr obviously deserve their fees and charges because you earn through their dedicated services. Besides clients only trust Fiverr services and their freelance seller not you.

I agree with you. Buyer trust on Fiverr, that's why I placed an order with us.

• Like 6
  • Congrats! 1