What are you reading this summer?

newsmike

https://www.amazon.com/Net-Butterfly-Practice-Breakthrough-Thinking/dp/1591847192

https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034

I could never get enough of old Dale Carnegie. If I read it 100 times, maybe I’ll finally absorb the incredible wisdom presented.

I’ll stop replying with new books, now. Not that I’ll limit my summer reading to those… but those are at the top of my list.

P.S. I used to LOOOOOVE Stephen King, and have read most of his books. The Stand, It, and the Dark Tower Series are the SK books that really count.

1016050315_51JFJeNu2BaL._AC_SY400_.jpg.3bba714d8435b93475a920b5318cb24d.jpg

51X7dEUFgoL._AC_SY400_.jpg.b1917401048e0ca7e9a3b4a4463176f7.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Net-Butterfly-Practice-Breakthrough-Thinking/dp/1591847192

https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034

I could never get enough of old Dale Carnegie. If I read it 100 times, maybe I’ll finally absorb the incredible wisdom presented.

I’ll stop replying with new books, now. Not that I’ll limit my summer reading to those… but those are at the top of my list.

P.S. I used to LOOOOOVE Stephen King, and have read most of his books. The Stand, It, and the Dark Tower Series are the SK books that really count.

The Stand

Ok, one more post. 😃 I think most of mine has been on topic (reading/books) but I just don’t shut up about it. The Stand is SK’s absolutely finest work to me. Definitely the book in this case too - the movie was sort of fun but a poor comparison to the book. I think it’s also a shining star in post-apocalyptic literature in general. It’s required reading in some colleges now, so I rest my case.

image.jpg.30454fb6bab235412add308ae5d7d4d5.jpg ❤️

(Wish I could afford this.)

The Stand

Ok, one more post. 😃 I think most of mine has been on topic (reading/books) but I just don’t shut up about it. The Stand is SK’s absolutely finest work to me. Definitely the book in this case too - the movie was sort of fun but a poor comparison to the book. I think it’s also a shining star in post-apocalyptic literature in general. It’s required reading in some colleges now, so I rest my case.

❤️

(Wish I could afford this.)

Definitely the book in this case too - the movie was sort of fun but a poor comparison to the book.

stephen king must be highly competitive for the title “most books ever to made into tv\film adaptations”. I know he doesn’t win the title, but so much of his stuff has been put on screen. it allllll SUCKED! Except for the Shawshank Redemption. The novella, and the movie are both equally awesome… but… the movie kinda wins as being one of the best movies of all time.

The Stand is an excellent title, but I definitely lean more towards the Dark Tower series. That might be a generational thing… The movie version of the stand, must have fallen flat… because I don’t really remember it… meanwhile that book is one of the best books ever written in the thriller\fantasy genre (or whatever genre is it, exactly that King writes in… I never felt that “horror” was the right fit).

idk (or don’t remember) anything about The Outsider, movie or book.

Definitely the book in this case too - the movie was sort of fun but a poor comparison to the book.

stephen king must be highly competitive for the title “most books ever to made into tv\film adaptations”. I know he doesn’t win the title, but so much of his stuff has been put on screen. it allllll SUCKED! Except for the Shawshank Redemption. The novella, and the movie are both equally awesome… but… the movie kinda wins as being one of the best movies of all time.

The Stand is an excellent title, but I definitely lean more towards the Dark Tower series. That might be a generational thing… The movie version of the stand, must have fallen flat… because I don’t really remember it… meanwhile that book is one of the best books ever written in the thriller\fantasy genre (or whatever genre is it, exactly that King writes in… I never felt that “horror” was the right fit).

idk (or don’t remember) anything about The Outsider, movie or book.

I think DT is loved by many fans of dark fantasy or horror fantasy. I liked a few of the movies definitely including the Shawshank Redemption. Stand by Me was really good too and a lot of random movie-watchers don’t know it is an adaptation of an SK short story called “The Body.” Granted, he’s such a prolific writer that he let a lot of adaptations of books go out with bad screenwriting and poor casting.

The movie version of the Stand was a TV miniseries if I recall, and if it tells you anything, one of the stars was Molly Ringwald. (Fair Lifetime movie actress, not so much on an epic dark series.) I had to watch it because it was The Stand, but once was plenty. These days post-apocalyptic fiction is in a category of its own since it varies from “The Handmaid’s Tale” to “I am Legend” and more - it could fit in multiple genres.

The Outsider is fairly new so if you don’t follow King closely you could miss it pretty easily. Plus, he has just written SO many books and short stories.

Jeez, if I can go on this much about one author I like, I’d better stop reading this thread. If someone brings up **** ****** or ******** ******* or oh dear, ****** ************* I will never stop!

🤫

I think DT is loved by many fans of dark fantasy or horror fantasy. I liked a few of the movies definitely including the Shawshank Redemption. Stand by Me was really good too and a lot of random movie-watchers don’t know it is an adaptation of an SK short story called “The Body.” Granted, he’s such a prolific writer that he let a lot of adaptations of books go out with bad screenwriting and poor casting.

The movie version of the Stand was a TV miniseries if I recall, and if it tells you anything, one of the stars was Molly Ringwald. (Fair Lifetime movie actress, not so much on an epic dark series.) I had to watch it because it was The Stand, but once was plenty. These days post-apocalyptic fiction is in a category of its own since it varies from “The Handmaid’s Tale” to “I am Legend” and more - it could fit in multiple genres.

The Outsider is fairly new so if you don’t follow King closely you could miss it pretty easily. Plus, he has just written SO many books and short stories.

Jeez, if I can go on this much about one author I like, I’d better stop reading this thread. If someone brings up **** ****** or ******** ******* or oh dear, ****** ************* I will never stop!

🤫

Stand by Me

Valid point! Thanks for bringing it up.

The movie version of the Stand was a TV miniseries if I recall,

yes yes… actually I was quite young at the time, and it was before I got into King, and it wasn’t great… so… I plead ignorance.

And no… I stopped caring about new King books after “Cell” :rofl:

Stand by Me

Valid point! Thanks for bringing it up.

The movie version of the Stand was a TV miniseries if I recall,

yes yes… actually I was quite young at the time, and it was before I got into King, and it wasn’t great… so… I plead ignorance.

And no… I stopped caring about new King books after “Cell” :rofl:

I stopped caring about new King books after “Cell”

That book gave me King Poisoning. I eventually recovered and gave him a chance again, but just like food poisoning, it is a serious condition. It was a LONG time before I trusted sushi SK after that. I still believe that book was written while he was messed up on drugs and hired a really bad ghostwriter to hide behind.

SERIOUSLY NOW - I’m going to bed to enforce this:

giphy.gif.8c43172c69545f8f5def1fdf4533ae4d.gif

I’m reading a little bit of everything at the moment with my recent endeavor focusing on graphic novels as I haven’t read much of them as of late. Have a Business Side of Comic Con book and a Built in Social book I’m working along plus a graphic novel adaptation of Edgar Allen Poe’s short stories. After these I hope to get around two of Stanley Fish’s books and I may or may not read Plato’s Republish (book of the month - reading challenge).

There’s a reading challenge I signed up to join after my libraries competition and everyone is trying to see how many books they can read by the end of the year. I joined in late so am trying to catch up.

I do have that problem sometimes. With books I think my “palate” is more broad so I can adjust. I also love PC gaming, though, and when I get stuck on a game I become annoyed with every game that isn’t like the one I loved. (Far Cry 3 and 4 were GREAT, FC 5 is out of my budget right now, and no other open world game yet has made me want to play. I just want FC back. 😃 )

I also love PC gaming

I also like online PC games (since 2010), but now I stop playing (2017) and wil be back playing next year.

Not for me. I LOVED the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. I haven’t seen the TV series of it because it was only aired on one network that was very difficult to get. The Outsider is new and features a favorite character of mine from Mr. Mercedes although the book is not part of the series. It’s too early to know if they will make a movie from it, but it’s pretty far from bland unless it’s just not your thing. I kind of think you’d enjoy the Outsider more if you had been a fan of Mr. Mercedes, but it is still a stand alone book.

I am enjoying Castle Rock so far, the new King and Abrams series. I’m a long time fan of both, though. I don’t read his fantasy as much so I’m not that familiar with the Dark Tower, but otherwise I’ve loved many of his books, though not every one. The Shining was a really well made movie, at least the first one. The first IT was good too. Some of the movies have been just awful, like The Lawnmower Man. I haven’t seen the new IT though I might just for fun.

Save yourself some money and don’t see it… It was horrible and I wasn’t even remotely scared. Tim Curry is the ultimate Pennywise. Nobody can do Pennywise better in my book.

It’s kinda like a new Freddy without Robert Englund. It just don’t happen.

What made them scary were the actors pouring their heart and soul into the role. These guys made it more like a paycheck for them. I just didn’t feel scared.

Tall man from Phantasm… Yeah no one can beat him either.

Stephen King rules in my book… although I’ll admit The Cell book just left a sour taste in my mouth. And, the movie… Not much better. Blah.

Right now, I’m reading the Langoliers from Four Past Midnight. Love it.

These just arrived via Amazon this week.

Hoping to go through at least half of them on my summer break.

Great choices I’ve read some of these and the only one I wouldn’t recommend is the “Art of not giving a fudge”.

It basically tells you to stop caring in a unnecessarily roundabout way.

I’m reading the Bible and The Bone People. The Bible is part of a heavy duty on-going reading mission. The Bone people is set in a place I used to live (right by the authors house) and I like to go back there in my mind sometimes.

The Bible is part of a heavy duty on-going reading mission.

My favorite book of the bible is Ecclesiastes. The rest is history, parables, and advice on how to live. Ecclesiastes is the wisdom book of the bible, and searches out the root of life’s purpose.

For myself, I could use a solid annotated NRSV copy of Ecclesiastes (side by side with Hebrew would be nice too), and a few translations of the Tao Te Ching.

The bible as a whole will interest me more as I develop stronger understanding of qabalistic principles, and learn Hebrew (both on my bucket list)

• 2 weeks later...

The Bible is part of a heavy duty on-going reading mission.

My favorite book of the bible is Ecclesiastes. The rest is history, parables, and advice on how to live. Ecclesiastes is the wisdom book of the bible, and searches out the root of life’s purpose.

For myself, I could use a solid annotated NRSV copy of Ecclesiastes (side by side with Hebrew would be nice too), and a few translations of the Tao Te Ching.

The bible as a whole will interest me more as I develop stronger understanding of qabalistic principles, and learn Hebrew (both on my bucket list)

I recommend proverbs, basis for a life “as fair and clean as possible” before God

greetings and blessings

I’m one of those writers that reads a lot. I use the excuse that reading makes me a better writer, but in reality, I just love to escape from reality for a while, and a good book is the perfect way of doing that.

This summer, I’ve been reading a lot of Cathy Glass books. She’s a foster carer and writes about her experiences with certain children, which is really enlightening as someone who is planning to foster (and adopt) in future.

I’m also currently reading “This Love” by Dani Atkins. I don’t think it’s a very well known about book, but it’s really good and I’m enjoying it so far.

Archived