Are You Excited About Fifa World Cup 2018 in Russia?

wordpress_whiz

poll2  

48 members have voted

1. 1. poll2

• Belgium /images/emoji/twitter/belgium.png?v=5
    • England ! Englandminiflag

Seriously? We’re allowed to talk about this? How come so many of my favorite discussions end up being closed because they’re “off topic”?

This topic is about Football/Soccer and the biggest sporting event in the world which is taking place at the moment - when topics are about making sales and people go and start talking about something completely different, that is "“Off-Topic” and why threads get closed or edited.

I get that Soccer isn’t huge in the States but since 1994 when the States hosted the world cup, it went from New Sport to Level 1 Sport and then as the MLS has developed, it moved up to a Level 2 Sport. It is now the 3rd most popular sport in the States.

Thankfully, the Soccer fans and promoters in the States didn’t give up on it when it didn’t get that position straight away but with dedication and hard work and as a result, the World Cup 2026 is going to be held in America, Mexico and Canada - the majority in America - I imagine that after a lot of work in promotion, building the popularity of the game, showcasing it’s beauty and attractiveness,

it looks very likely that America will join the rest of the world in having it as their TRS (Top Rated Sport).

This topic is about Football/Soccer and the biggest sporting event in the world which is taking place at the momen

But it’s not related to Fiverr! It’s a fun topic, I get it, but I’ve had many fun discussions ended by the powers that be, I’ve seen great threads closed while others stay open forever.

My thread, “why I gave someone with no reviews a chance” has stayed opened since Mar '17.

How do you measure a sports popularity? You say soccer is the 3rd most popular sport in the United States, and yet the salaries of the players tell a different story.

I’m not happy about World Cup 2026. It’s going to be a HUGE waste of money, and we’re sharing the event with Canada and Mexico which means it’s not really an American event. If you’re talking about the American continent, then you forget South and Central American.

it looks very likely that America will join the rest of the world in having it as their TRS (Top Rated Sport).

We’ve had the world cup in America (the country) before, I believed we hosted in Los Angeles, 1986. Americans did not become soccer fans then, they won’t become soccer fans now. My countrymen like football, baseball, and basketball. “Baseball is as American as apple pie” is a common expression. Nobody says the same about soccer.

Consider this, college football and basketball are shown on TV, yet the same is not done with soccer. There’s no interest if the University of Miami plays the University of Nebraska when it comes to soccer. Football? People will watch that.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic is about Football/Soccer and the biggest sporting event in the world which is taking place at the momen

But it’s not related to Fiverr! It’s a fun topic, I get it, but I’ve had many fun discussions ended by the powers that be, I’ve seen great threads closed while others stay open forever.

My thread, “why I gave someone with no reviews a chance” has stayed opened since Mar '17.

How do you measure a sports popularity? You say soccer is the 3rd most popular sport in the United States, and yet the salaries of the players tell a different story.

I’m not happy about World Cup 2026. It’s going to be a HUGE waste of money, and we’re sharing the event with Canada and Mexico which means it’s not really an American event. If you’re talking about the American continent, then you forget South and Central American.

We’ve had the world cup in America (the country) before, I believed we hosted in Los Angeles, 1986. Americans did not become soccer fans then, they won’t become soccer fans now. My countrymen like football, baseball, and basketball. “Baseball is as American as apple pie” is a common expression. Nobody says the same about soccer.

Consider this, college football and basketball are shown on TV, yet the same is not done with soccer. There’s no interest if the University of Miami plays the University of Nebraska when it comes to soccer. Football? People will watch that.

1994, not 1986.

1986 was in Mexico.

I agree with @fastcopywriter

Bulgaria and Romania voted to host at least a Euro Championship, but of course the FIFA management always support the big dogs.

Football in Europe is huge and it made sense a World Cup to be hosted in Europe again. But this time not in a huge country like Germany or France. But in a smaller place.

Russia is not Europe. Last World Cup was in Brazil. Before that in Africa. Why not Europe. Germany in 2006, and South Korea before that. France before that. Only two big European countries, and outside Europe.

Greece, Bulgaria, Romania would’ve enjoyed it much more. Maybe Hungary. Croatia. Slovenia. Serbia. Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania. It was never hosted in South Europe. Euro Championships were again in Northern Europe - Austria & Switzerland, Belgium & Netherlands, England, Sweden, Portugal, etc.

Besides two World Cups in Germany and France, everything is somewhere “else” where interest is not high. Now in Qatar, who watches football in Qatar? Qatar is not a football nation. Their football youth academies don’t produce anything and they players don’t play in European clubs. Makes zero sense. I think everything is being done for money and for publication output.

The new Euro in 2020 will be a failure too. 10 European countries or so with matches in 1 stadium in 1 country.

Pff.

Guest offlinehelpers

For those of us still excited by the football and still enjoying it, what are your predictions for the coming few days?

BRAZIL win the Fifa World Cup this year 🇧🇷

Brazil’s form looks pretty far from okay this year. If Brazil wins this year I’m gonna gift you my computer.

I’m looking at a Portugal, Russia and maybe Belgium / Croatia / Spain / England semi-finals this year.

Guest offlinehelpers

@offlinehelpers, for today:

Denmark will obliterate Australia, at least with 2:0

France will murder Peru with 3:0

Argentina will take a 0:1 punch from Croatia’s fist.

Sound like good predictions - looking forward to tomorrow’s matches! 🙂

I agree with @fastcopywriter

Bulgaria and Romania voted to host at least a Euro Championship, but of course the FIFA management always support the big dogs.

Football in Europe is huge and it made sense a World Cup to be hosted in Europe again. But this time not in a huge country like Germany or France. But in a smaller place.

Russia is not Europe. Last World Cup was in Brazil. Before that in Africa. Why not Europe. Germany in 2006, and South Korea before that. France before that. Only two big European countries, and outside Europe.

Greece, Bulgaria, Romania would’ve enjoyed it much more. Maybe Hungary. Croatia. Slovenia. Serbia. Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania. It was never hosted in South Europe. Euro Championships were again in Northern Europe - Austria & Switzerland, Belgium & Netherlands, England, Sweden, Portugal, etc.

Besides two World Cups in Germany and France, everything is somewhere “else” where interest is not high. Now in Qatar, who watches football in Qatar? Qatar is not a football nation. Their football youth academies don’t produce anything and they players don’t play in European clubs. Makes zero sense. I think everything is being done for money and for publication output.

The new Euro in 2020 will be a failure too. 10 European countries or so with matches in 1 stadium in 1 country.

Pff.

Thanks for agreeing with me 🙂

The issue of a World Cup is logistics, how many direct flights you can get, how many hotel rooms are available. Look at all the challenges Brazil faced with the olympics, the olympic village, etc. There were lots of complains about shoddy construction, sewage, swimming in polluted waters… one team even chartered a cruise to avoid the olympic village.

I do agree that soccer is huge in Europe, British and German hooligans are legendary, for them soccer is a religion.

Russia is not Europe.

I’m curious about that. If Russia is not Europe, what is it? Eurasia? Asia?

By the way, did you see the game between Brazil and Switzerland? I saw it, I can’t believed Brazil ended up tying the game. You’d think that a low population country like Switzerland would have no chance against a behemoth like Brazil, where soccer culture is a national obsession, but alas, Switzerland surprised everyone.

Brazil’s form looks pretty far from okay this year. If Brazil wins this year I’m gonna gift you my computer.

I’m looking at a Portugal, Russia and maybe Belgium / Croatia / Spain / England semi-finals this year.

Eek! 😲 I really hope you’re a man of your word. 😅

Thanks for your message,

you can ready your gift for sending me.

LOLz, you’re very confident 🇧🇷

Keep your fingers crossed a 💻

Oooh, I see @gig_freak typing. 😛

The issue of a World Cup is logistics, how many direct flights you can get, how many hotel rooms are available. Look at all the challenges Brazil faced with the olympics, the olympic village, etc. There were lots of complains about shoddy construction, sewage, swimming in polluted waters… one team even chartered a cruise to avoid the olympic village.

I do agree that soccer is huge in Europe, British and German hooligans are legendary, for them soccer is a religion.

Russia is not Europe.

By the way, did you see the game between Brazil and Switzerland? I saw it, I can’t believed Brazil ended up tying the game. You’d think that a low population country like Switzerland would have no chance against a behemoth like Brazil, where soccer culture is a national obsession, but alas, Switzerland surprised everyone.

I’m curious about that. If Russia is not Europe, what is it?

Well, part of Russia is in Europe, and the other, the larger part is in Asia. The divider line are the Ural Mountains, the Black Sea, the Bosporus, and the Aegean Sea.

If you have noticed a lot of countries which aren’t part of Europe, play in the European competitions.

I’m curious about that. If Russia is not Europe, what is it?

Well, part of Russia is in Europe, and the other, the larger part is in Asia. The divider line are the Ural Mountains, the Black Sea, the Bosporus, and the Aegean Sea.

If you have noticed a lot of countries which aren’t part of Europe, play in the European competitions.

Yes, I know Israel and Australia participated in Eurovision, so I see the point.

But my question was more of a geographical nature than anything else. When I search “Europe” on Wikipedia, I get countries like Russia and even Kazakhstan listed as part of Europe.

Of course, whether other Europeans acknowledge each other as such is a different story.

MMA.

American viewership of soccer is almost non existent, other than as a kids game on Saturday afternoons because there’s no chance of anyone getting hurt.

Probably why the US didn’t qualify for the World Cup…I wish we were like other countries where soccer is an influential part of the culture…I myself am a teen who plays in a league and I love the sport…and the feeling when you knock the ball in the net and celebrate. That’s one of the few feelings in the world that brings people together.

Russia is not Europe.

One of the European Cups was in Poland and Ukraine a few years ago. Poland and Ukraine don’t have perfect reputation. Ukraine’s not even in the EU. They only picked them because they’re North, and close to Germany and England I believe. About South Africa and Brazil, Johannesburg and the Favelas are the highest crime risk areas in the world, followed by Caracas. If security for the people was the most important thing, nobody was gonna pick them in the first place. So many people got robbed you can’t even imagine. It’s money games like I said.

😬

The the most dangerous football hooligans nowadays are Russian and Polish fans. Followed by Turkish. On Turkish matches you can often see knives involved. The times of the English and German hooliganism have ended.

We don’t consider it Europe. First it’s too cold. Second the mentality there is different. Moscow and St. Petersburg are closer to Europe and Europized but go further into Asia and everything is different. Architecture. Food. Hobbies.

Yeah. Saw it. But I don’t think Brazil is a “benemoth” after seeing what happened to them in 1998 and 2014. Especially in 2014. That was humiliating. It was like beating an ill dog. And it’ll be the same this year. And with the risk of someone hating me, I’d say Brazil together with Argentina, Germany, France and Spain are the most overrated teams ever. Bookies win on these’s losses.

Mark that into consideration: Brazil won most of their cups in a time when football wasn’t dynamic. Everybody was moving slow and running way less. The game of now is how Real Madrid and Portugal and Spain play. They play on one-touches. The so called Tiki-Taka.

🙂

Everything else is a joke. Spain had a lot of huge stars but most of them are old now. I think that was it for Spain.

If Ronaldo (the phenomenon) and Rivaldo played now, they would’ve lost. Or scored only one goal.

🙂

Plus, why are you surprised. Switzerland has a lot of stars.

Add also into consideration that underrated teams often have a huge advantage. Ludogorets FC, a small team that 7 years ago was in the third division in Bulgaria (the unprofessional league where they don’t even get paid) , got a full rebuild. They won 7+ local leagues, finished first, and last year was their best in our Euro Champions League. People laughed at them but for a first time in our history a team beats teams like Basel (Switzerland) where Mohammed Salah played, Braga from Portugal, one of the best German teams Hoffenheim, they even beat Lazio two years ago. Lazio is a huge club.

So the underdog have the advantage to be like a ghost. Nobody knows him and nobody cares. The real underdog this year would be Serbia but we’ll see where they go. Nothing is expected from them. And Senegal. That’d be interesting after what I saw yesterday.

One of the European Cups was in Poland and Ukraine a few years ago. Poland and Ukraine don’t have perfect reputation. Ukraine’s not even in the EU. They only picked them because they’re North, and close to Germany and England I believe. About South Africa and Brazil, Johannesburg and the Favelas are the highest crime risk areas in the world, followed by Caracas. If security for the people was the most important thing, nobody was gonna pick them in the first place. So many people got robbed you can’t even imagine. It’s money games like I said.

😬

The the most dangerous football hooligans nowadays are Russian and Polish fans. Followed by Turkish. On Turkish matches you can often see knives involved. The times of the English and German hooliganism have ended.

We don’t consider it Europe. First it’s too cold. Second the mentality there is different. Moscow and St. Petersburg are closer to Europe and Europized but go further into Asia and everything is different. Architecture. Food. Hobbies.

Yeah. Saw it. But I don’t think Brazil is a “benemoth” after seeing what happened to them in 1998 and 2014. Especially in 2014. That was humiliating. It was like beating an ill dog. And it’ll be the same this year. And with the risk of someone hating me, I’d say Brazil together with Argentina, Germany, France and Spain are the most overrated teams ever. Bookies win on these’s losses.

Mark that into consideration: Brazil won most of their cups in a time when football wasn’t dynamic. Everybody was moving slow and running way less. The game of now is how Real Madrid and Portugal and Spain play. They play on one-touches. The so called Tiki-Taka.

🙂

Everything else is a joke. Spain had a lot of huge stars but most of them are old now. I think that was it for Spain.

If Ronaldo (the phenomenon) and Rivaldo played now, they would’ve lost. Or scored only one goal.

🙂

Add also into consideration that underrated teams often have a huge advantage. Ludogorets FC, a small team that 7 years ago was in the third division in Bulgaria (the unprofessional league where they don’t even get paid) , got a full rebuild. They won 7+ local leagues, finished first, and last year was their best in our Euro Champions League. People laughed at them but for a first time in our history a team beats teams like Basel (Switzerland) where Mohammed Salah played, Braga from Portugal, one of the best German teams Hoffenheim, they even beat Lazio two years ago. Lazio is a huge club.

So the underdog have the advantage to be like a ghost. Nobody knows him and nobody cares. The real underdog this year would be Serbia but we’ll see where they go. Nothing is expected from them. And Senegal. That’d be interesting after what I saw yesterday.

About South Africa and Brazil, Johannesburg and the Favelas are the highest crime risk areas in the world, followed by Caracas.

Brazil got picked for the Olympics, and I think there was a World Cup in South Africa some years ago. I remember the media complaining about the vuvuzelas, those trumpets the fans kept playing.

Caracas would never get picked because they don’t have the infrastructure required. Besides, Venezuelans are baseball fans, not soccer fans. The Latin countries that prefer baseball over soccer are Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Cuba, and Puerto Rico. They have produced many baseball legends. I know Venezuela because I lived there, and I can’t recall a single person wanting to watch a soccer match, except during the world cup.

I suppose people from other countries can play for Switzerland, but I’m surprised because of the following.

Population of Brazil: 207.7 million (2016)

Population of Switzerland: 8.372 million (2016)

Another factor is that Brazil has no winter, so they can play soccer all year long, and keep getting better.

But you’re right, the advantage of the underdog is that nobody perceives him as a threat, so people lower their guards and take them from granted.

About South Africa and Brazil, Johannesburg and the Favelas are the highest crime risk areas in the world, followed by Caracas.

Brazil got picked for the Olympics, and I think there was a World Cup in South Africa some years ago. I remember the media complaining about the vuvuzelas, those trumpets the fans kept playing.

Caracas would never get picked because they don’t have the infrastructure required. Besides, Venezuelans are baseball fans, not soccer fans. The Latin countries that prefer baseball over soccer are Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Cuba, and Puerto Rico. They have produced many baseball legends. I know Venezuela because I lived there, and I can’t recall a single person wanting to watch a soccer match, except during the world cup.

I suppose people from other countries can play for Switzerland, but I’m surprised because of the following.

Another factor is that Brazil has no winter, so they can play soccer all year long, and keep getting better.

But you’re right, the advantage of the underdog is that nobody perceives him as a threat, so people lower their guards and take them from granted.

Russia didn’t have infrastructure for this World Cup. So what? They built a bunch of stadiums. Same thing with South Africa. That’s not the reason.

And BTW, hahaha, those vuvuzelas, you bring me bad memories. I hated that so much that I stopped watching the matches!!

And… I try to follow your logic about the population but I can’t understand you. Oblige me, please.

Pakistan, India and China together are almost 3 billion people but they never qualify and they never produce football players. Even in the EA Games’ FIFA game - India is the weakest team, having 1-star rating. Even Hungary was 3.5 stars.

Croatia has 3-4 million people but they constantly produce high quality players that play in the hugest clubs.

The youth academies are what is producing quality players. The youth academies have nothing to do with the population of the country.

Greetings to you by the way, for being active and understanding which the real football is. :crazy_face:

Population can help in terms of getting a wide range of players but @neromare is right in that what counts most is the youth system in place.

Iceland, a country of 330,000 people has 21,500 adult males (16-35) who play football at any level (professional -> absolute Amateurs). This means that 1 in every thousand football playing men in Iceland represent their country at the highest level of the game!

Yet Iceland have improved dramatically in the last 10 years due to an investment made where every town and most villages in the country have an indoor astroturf football pitch/center. This allows them to play all year round whereas previously they could only play/train on grass for 4-5 months of the year. They appointed something like 50 full-time coaches who coach the amateur coaches and they have a collective “Icelandic way” of playing the game which means everyone plays in a defensive, counter-attacking style. Their greatest achievement came 2 years ago when they beat and knocked out England in the Euro Championships.

They are the ultimate underdog in terms of population and what you would expect but in fact have such a good youth training system in place that they are not really underdogs at all and will match or beat many of those supposedly better teams who are not as focused as an international team.

Tomorrow they play Nigeria (186 million people) who are a football crazy nation but do not have the same range of facilities that Iceland youth players have had. I am backing Iceland to win.

Population can help in terms of getting a wide range of players but @neromare is right in that what counts most is the youth system in place.

Iceland, a country of 330,000 people has 21,500 adult males (16-35) who play football at any level (professional -> absolute Amateurs). This means that 1 in every thousand football playing men in Iceland represent their country at the highest level of the game!

Yet Iceland have improved dramatically in the last 10 years due to an investment made where every town and most villages in the country have an indoor astroturf football pitch/center. This allows them to play all year round whereas previously they could only play/train on grass for 4-5 months of the year. They appointed something like 50 full-time coaches who coach the amateur coaches and they have a collective “Icelandic way” of playing the game which means everyone plays in a defensive, counter-attacking style. Their greatest achievement came 2 years ago when they beat and knocked out England in the Euro Championships.

They are the ultimate underdog in terms of population and what you would expect but in fact have such a good youth training system in place that they are not really underdogs at all and will match or beat many of those supposedly better teams who are not as focused as an international team.

Tomorrow they play Nigeria (186 million people) who are a football crazy nation but do not have the same range of facilities that Iceland youth players have had. I am backing Iceland to win.

Yes. Greece’s economy was not in a good condition for the last few years, with unemployment rates going up to 50-60%. That’s insane number. But they developed players like Manolas, Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Kapino, Papastathopoulos, etc. all playing in big foreign clubs. And they continue to do that. Almost every year Olympiakos (Greece) is playing in the group stages of the Champions League.

The management is everything.

Now Ludogorets (Bulgaria) is doing the same thing. They have a second double team in the second division and they put the youth to develop there. Kids from all around the country are joining their Youth Academy. This is something new because the capital city has 1.5+ million people, with at least 5 clubs, a few other big cities with big clubs, but the children are leaving the capital and big cities and going to the “redneck province”, like some of my countrymen often use to say here because of jelaousy, to play for a club in a town with barely 30K people. Club that can do this:

That’s the city the club is from:

Razgrad_0000_107.jpg.02eb0b70279832c540b34f28f41b3b8e.jpg

Small, communist and and mediocre, right? See this:

b91c28e92bbba30851ac27091ebccaa5.thumb.jpg.d50b370a21ab347ebc550db74b6e052d.jpg

_49T5209.thumb.jpg.3a55713e8d250ba62620bf03705ab35d.jpg

Here’s a virtual TOUR:

https://ludogorets.tv/видео/504

From what I’ve heard, they have serious tryouts and most of them get rejected.

For a comparison, see the youth base of the second biggest club in the country, and the club with most championship titles:

june2016_2001_vs_nafta.jpg.902703238e47d5ec5628da0f196505a0.jpg

It is like a potato plantation… It’s just sad how money get laundered and nothing gets developed because of greed. They didn’t even trim the grass on the benches, lol.

But it’s not related to Fiverr!

Where in the forum rules have you seen that the Conversations category is limited to Fiverr-related conversations? As to the rest of it, I have no idea what your real beef is. Actually, I think you are just looking for something else to complain about. 🍋 You don’t really need to respond to this and if you do, I may not read it since I’m not really into soccer threads myself. To everyone that enjoys them, have fun!

By the way, when this thread gets long, it will likely be closed. Threads that get too long take a long time to load on mobile and they are generally closed, but on public threads that is a manual process so we humans don’t catch them all. Sorry for our failures and I am sending you ALL my mod pay right away to make up for it.

Yes, I know Israel and Australia participated in Eurovision, so I see the point.

But my question was more of a geographical nature than anything else. When I search “Europe” on Wikipedia, I get countries like Russia and even Kazakhstan listed as part of Europe.

Of course, whether other Europeans acknowledge each other as such is a different story.

Well, a really small part of Kazakhstan is actually in Europe. It’s the same thing with Turkey, Azerbaijan, Georgia.

For those of you thinking negatively of Kazakhstan, it is nothing like in the Borat movie, they are a developed country with nothing similar to the representation in the movie.

Well, a really small part of Kazakhstan is actually in Europe. It’s the same thing with Turkey, Azerbaijan, Georgia.

For those of you thinking negatively of Kazakhstan, it is nothing like in the Borat movie, they are a developed country with nothing similar to the representation in the movie.

Only Istanbul is in Europe. Beyond the Bosforus bridge, that’s no Europe. The bridge separates the European from the Asian part.

Archived