Are You Excited About Fifa World Cup 2018 in Russia?

wordpress_whiz

poll2  

48 members have voted

1. 1. poll2

• Belgium /images/emoji/twitter/belgium.png?v=5
    • England ! Englandminiflag

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love watching South Korea - so well organized and usually do better than everyone expects.

BBC Sport
_102086349_gettyimages-965193060.jpg.d9310f94492c73579ce9356d19950476.jpg

South Korea: Shin Tae-yong made players swap shirts to try to confuse opposition

South Korea's coach says he made his players wear different numbered shirts in recent friendlies to confuse opponents who he says cannot tell them apart.

Well, that’s called diversion. 😄

I can’t wait for the World Cup to get started, I wish if I could only skip the days to the kick off. :rofl:

I think 🇫🇷 will win the title.

And of course I’ll support 🇷🇸

@nikavoice not sure about the WC 2022 but I guarantee you that 🇺🇸

Any recommendations for tomorrow’s

I’m not really a fan of soccer. 😬 Well, I don’t hate it, I just don’t follow up. I have some friends who are so obsessed with it, they literally don’t miss any match. 😲

I watch the important matches only, like the World Cup ones. Other than that, I just watch the highlights.

Since i’m someone who doesn’t really know about soccer that much, i’m cheering for the whole world. 🗺️

Good Luck for all!

Isn’t it called “football” in Egypt? It’s called football in all of Europe. Weird.

Hi Nika!

It’s not the whole of the UK 🇬🇧 - it’s only England - Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales aren’t involved.

As a Scot in England, the shops have just been lovely and quiet. 🙂

It’s only a game, regardless of how seriously everybody takes it!

Hmm, so I haven’t missed 🇪🇬 and Rus.

Edit: Just turned on my iPad. Grr, Rus 3️⃣

I’m rooting for 🇪🇬 @youssefkamel :wink:

Isn’t it called “football” in Egypt? It’s called football in all of Europe. Weird.

Well, since English is not really the mother language in Egypt, any word will work perfectly fine. Both have the same meaning and both are used. However, the one which is more used is Football. I think all the world calls it Football except for the US & Canada? Because they have the American Football i’m assuming? :thinking: Just a thought. @nikavoice, what are your thoughts on this? Why is it called soccer in the US?

Just found a thread in here that answers the question: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-football-called-Soccer-in-USA Is that correct, Nika?

Hey @offlinehelpers :wave: , do they call it soccer in the United Kingdom? :thinking: I saw some people calling it soccer in the UK so i’m not sure if that term is also common in the UK or not.

Well, since English is not really the mother language in Egypt, any word will work perfectly fine. Both have the same meaning and both are used. However, the one which is more used is Football. I think all the world calls it Football except for the US & Canada? Because they have the American Football i’m assuming? :thinking: Just a thought. @nikavoice, what are your thoughts on this? Why is it called soccer in the US?

Just found a thread in here that answers the question: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-football-called-Soccer-in-USA Is that correct, Nika?

Hey @offlinehelpers :wave: , do they call it soccer in the United Kingdom? :thinking: I saw some people calling it soccer in the UK so i’m not sure if that term is also common in the UK or not.

Usually football here in the UK Youssef - soccer if you’re trying to sound posh!

Youssef!

I read a few of the answers, that Q thread pretty much explains it all. 😃

Soccer is the 3rd or 4th (sheesh don’t remember giggles) most played sports here in the 🇺🇸.

Americans call World Football (Worldcup 🏆 ) “Soccer” and the rest of the globe call it “Football”?

Eek! It can be confusing. 😬

People get confused by the term “Football” since 🇺🇸 play with their hands LOL. The only time they use their :footprints: for field goals and kickoffs etc. Personally, I’m not a 🇺🇸 :football: fan. I’m crazy about 🏀 and getting into soccer (newbie), which I dig a lot.

So, blah! 😅

P.S~ I got the memo, will respond soon. I’m making dinner. 😋

Usually football here in the UK Youssef - soccer if you’re trying to sound posh!

So UK & Australia don’t call it soccer? :thinking: See, that’s why i’m not fan of football. 😂 I think I’ll just stick with basketball. One word & for all! (Just kidding, I suck at both.)

I actually started calling football “soccer” on online global communities after knowing that some countries call it soccer. Also, when i’m talking with a US residence like Nika for example, I use the word soccer instead. Just because they are more used to that word than football as it refers to their American football.

Anyway, good luck for you guys on the up coming matches! I’ll go watch tennis or something, something that I could understand. 😂

Hey @offlinehelpers 👋 , do they call it soccer in the United Kingdom? :thinking: I saw some people calling it soccer in the UK so i’m not sure if that term is also common in the UK or not.

I believe USA wanted to differentiate from the British because of the War of Independence. They created a lot of new words, and thus the “US English”.

Soccer is a deprecated word from the English language, that they started using.

Germany calls it Fußball.

Russian - футбол (futbol).

Bulgarian - футбол (futbol).

In Iceland is fótbolti.

In Spanish is fútbol.

In French - le football.

In Swedish - fotboll.

Even in Japan it’s football - フットボール.

And so on.

P.S. Egypt is much much closer to Europe than to the US, geographically, that’s why I was surprised. You’re what, 2 km away from Crete (Greece). 😎

We often take phrases and slang based on the location. For example, here in Bulgaria instead of “Thank you” in our language, which is “Blagodarya”, we use “Merci” on 99.9% of the time.

And in almost all Germany, they use “Ciao” instead of “Tschüß” which is “Goodbye”. Ciao is Italian. Germany almost borders Italy, if we put Switzerland aside.

👋

Seriously? We’re allowed to talk about this? How come so many of my favorite discussions end up being closed because they’re “off topic”?

To answer the topic, no, I’m not excited. I could care less about a bunch of overpaid athletes chasing after a ball.

Besides, not every country cares about soccer. In America, they prefer football, baseball, basketball and hockey. The USA didn’t even qualify and we couldn’t care less. Even soccer moms don’t care about soccer, they just like the sport because it rarely leads to concussions or other injuries. Football or as they call it in Australia, rugby, is an entirely different matter.

Seriously? We’re allowed to talk about this? How come so many of my favorite discussions end up being closed because they’re “off topic”?

To answer the topic, no, I’m not excited. I could care less about a bunch of overpaid athletes chasing after a ball.

Besides, not every country cares about soccer. In America, they prefer football, baseball, basketball and hockey. The USA didn’t even qualify and we couldn’t care less. Even soccer moms don’t care about soccer, they just like the sport because it rarely leads to concussions or other injuries. Football or as they call it in Australia, rugby, is an entirely different matter.

This topic is about Football/Soccer and the biggest sporting event in the world which is taking place at the moment - when topics are about making sales and people go and start talking about something completely different, that is "“Off-Topic” and why threads get closed or edited.

I get that Soccer isn’t huge in the States but since 1994 when the States hosted the world cup, it went from New Sport to Level 1 Sport and then as the MLS has developed, it moved up to a Level 2 Sport. It is now the 3rd most popular sport in the States.

Thankfully, the Soccer fans and promoters in the States didn’t give up on it when it didn’t get that position straight away but with dedication and hard work and as a result, the World Cup 2026 is going to be held in America, Mexico and Canada - the majority in America - I imagine that after a lot of work in promotion, building the popularity of the game, showcasing it’s beauty and attractiveness,

it looks very likely that America will join the rest of the world in having it as their TRS (Top Rated Sport).

Archived