Average Prices - But Why?

ssj1236

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, I completely agree but here’s the thing…no one gives a fudge. What matters, in the end, is what Fiverr decides which means that no matter how much you and I complain, we just accept this and move on.

I’m not a fan of the change but I have nothing against it (for now) but until I feel that this is affecting me in a negative way, then I start complaining in vain.

no matter how much you and I complain, we just accept this and move on.

You can accept it but I choose to discuss it. It probably will do zero but it’s worth talking about.

no matter how much you and I complain, we just accept this and move on.

You can accept it but I choose to discuss it. It probably will do zero but it’s worth talking about.

Yeah, I know. The only thing I’m happy about is that I won’t have to spend hours optimizing anything.

I want a way to have the social proof that buyers ARE paying far more for my services.

I agree. What I don’t agree with is how they are trying to do it.

Why not give us highest paid sellers a special badge on our gigs?

That would be cool. Imagine Fiverr automatically adds a higher badge on gigs that average more than say $50 or $100 per sale!

Found a way to take advantage of the new “Average Prices” update?

I’m sorry, I’m not seeing this. Can you either post a screenshot or explain what you are seeing? I’m wondering if it’s not in all categories yet, or I’m simply missing something.

Can you either post a screenshot or explain what you are seeing?

This is what he’s referring to:

image.jpg.e68b6bb6d44e9f0fb8fc2a17318d2dfb.jpg

As of yesterday, I’m now seeing the average pricing as well when I look at gigs in the voice over category. As far as my sales, in general it’s been slow week, but I don’t know if it has anything to do with this new change. Sales are usually a bit slower now that summer is in full swing, at least that’s how it was on Fiverr last summer for me. I can see both benefits and negatives to this change, but overall I don’t think it’s helpful nor useful. Part of the reason I don’t like it is because it’s somewhat publicizing our earnings which I’m extremely against. It’s one reason why I hate Upwork.

Can you either post a screenshot or explain what you are seeing?

Cool, but I still don’t see any of that when I explore, so it must be either rolling out over time, or they are testing. (See my screenshot in the previous post.)

I do find it interesting that it’s the average over all sales, and not just the last X months, which I think would be better.

That said, whatever. I’ll adapt and I’m sure others will do the same. I think it’s far better than just showing everybody at the $5 rate (which is really “bate and switch” in most cases, because most end up ordering far more to get what they need).

While I originally had plenty of $5 orders (during the first 3-5 months), today only small part of my orders are $5. For every $100 of sales recently, only about 3 or 4 are $5 orders, and that continues to fall for me.

Thanks for posting, I’m sure I’ll see it at some point too.

Cool, but I still don’t see any of that when I explore, so it must be either rolling out over time, or they are testing. (See my screenshot in the previous post.)

I do find it interesting that it’s the average over all sales, and not just the last X months, which I think would be better.

That said, whatever. I’ll adapt and I’m sure others will do the same. I think it’s far better than just showing everybody at the $5 rate (which is really “bate and switch” in most cases, because most end up ordering far more to get what they need).

While I originally had plenty of $5 orders (during the first 3-5 months), today only small part of my orders are $5. For every $100 of sales recently, only about 3 or 4 are $5 orders, and that continues to fall for me.

most end up ordering far more to get what they need

Bingo. It’s like if you go to look at new cars, and see that there are a lot of options you want that you never knew existed until you looked at them.

If they told you the price of a new car with all the options no one would go look at them.

Welcome to the world of sales. And we are sales people first and foremost.

most end up ordering far more to get what they need

Bingo. It’s like if you go to look at new cars, and see that there are a lot of options you want that you never knew existed until you looked at them.

If they told you the price of a new car with all the options no one would go look at them.

Welcome to the world of sales. And we are sales people first and foremost.

I still respectfully totally disagree with you.

That’s not how most shop. Advertising a low price isn’t the only key to getting sales or getting people to look at your brand.

Marketing value is the key, I don’t need to fool people into thinking they can get a $5 VO to look at my gig. I don’t think most other category needs that either. The Pro gigs are getting sales, and someone could easily also look at the $5 gig next to them. Some buyers (and probably some categories) are price focused, but buyers aren’t all bottom feeders who need to see the lowest price before shopping or exploring.

How do the other freelance sites even complete or get sales? Wouldn’t buyers just look at Fiverr if they want cheap? They aren’t marketing the lowest prices on every gig they market.

There are a large set of buyers who actually do NOT shop on Fiverr, because they assume there isn’t enough value, anymore than a set of people never go to a resale shop or $1 store. (My mom loves them… I never go.)

But again, I’ll adapt to whatever. Maybe in some categories a low price is the only way to get people interested in exploring, but that’s not valid for the majority of categories.

Low prices ARE a draw, but not the major buying decision for a huge set of buyers.

At the end of the day, as long as all the sellers in a category are similar, it will work fine either way.

If you’re more expensive in my category, a subset of buyers will select you because of your high end pricing. IF they don’t know much, they often assume more expensive is higher quality. Doesn’t work everyplace, but it’s a time tested marketing strategy.

One other factor: Some categories are “fun” purchases. Those might require a different approach.

Some categories are selling things that return value longer term to a buyer. If they buy the cheap VO, and it sounds bad, it reflects poorly on them every time a perspective client hears it. So it also depends on the category, and if the items being sold return value to the buyer over time.

Buyers in my category are often looking for excellence, to reflect on their brand. Seeing a higher starting price isn’t going to scare them off, because they know the value gets returned to them over time.

One size probably doesn’t fit all, and in some categories, the rules for my category don’t apply.

I still respectfully totally disagree with you.

That’s not how most shop. Advertising a low price isn’t the only key to getting sales or getting people to look at your brand.

Marketing value is the key, I don’t need to fool people into thinking they can get a $5 VO to look at my gig. I don’t think most other category needs that either. The Pro gigs are getting sales, and someone could easily also look at the $5 gig next to them. Some buyers (and probably some categories) are price focused, but buyers aren’t all bottom feeders who need to see the lowest price before shopping or exploring.

How do the other freelance sites even complete or get sales? Wouldn’t buyers just look at Fiverr if they want cheap? They aren’t marketing the lowest prices on every gig they market.

There are a large set of buyers who actually do NOT shop on Fiverr, because they assume there isn’t enough value, anymore than a set of people never go to a resale shop or $1 store. (My mom loves them… I never go.)

But again, I’ll adapt to whatever. Maybe in some categories a low price is the only way to get people interested in exploring, but that’s not valid for the majority of categories.

Low prices ARE a draw, but not the major buying decision for a huge set of buyers.

At the end of the day, as long as all the sellers in a category are similar, it will work fine either way.

If you’re more expensive in my category, a subset of buyers will select you because of your high end pricing. IF they don’t know much, they often assume more expensive is higher quality. Doesn’t work everyplace, but it’s a time tested marketing strategy.

One other factor: Some categories are “fun” purchases. Those might require a different approach.

Some categories are selling things that return value longer term to a buyer. If they buy the cheap VO, and it sounds bad, it reflects poorly on them every time a perspective client hears it. So it also depends on the category, and if the items being sold return value to the buyer over time.

Buyers in my category are often looking for excellence, to reflect on their brand. Seeing a higher starting price isn’t going to scare them off, because they know the value gets returned to them over time.

One size probably doesn’t fit all, and in some categories, the rules for my category don’t apply.

Advertising a low price isn’t the key to getting sales or getting people to look at your brand.

I’m surprised to hear you say this!

I see car ads all the time right now advertising discounts of the price, discounts on leases,

0% interest on loans, etc.

It is exactly how to get people to look at what you are selling.

Look at a certain writer here who has over 60 orders in his queue all the time and only has one thing on his thumbnails:

2 articles for $5.

The local grocery stores spend huge amounts mailing out fliers every week to local people advertising their weekly sales. I could go on and on. I’m sure you know that stores and just about any type of business has sales to bring in customers.

They know the customers who come for the sales will spend more than they expected to, but the sales brought them into the store.

What has been the one key to fiverr’s success all these years? Look at the name of the site: FIVERR. Everything for only $5.

What I’d like to see regarding price visibility is more choices for both buyers and sellers. As a seller, I’d like to have a toggle to choose my price display per gig (like the watermark toggle) and have the option of showing my starting price, my average package price, or my average real-sale price. As a buyer I would like to be able to sort listings in an Amazon type way, where I could choose to list highest (accurate) rated gigs from top to bottom OR by price from low to high and high to low.

have some gigs where buyers are more likely to purchase my lowest option. I have other gigs where people are more likely to buy based on how good I am based on my real average sales price. I sell in multiple categories, so I’d like a gig by gig option.

When I want to buy gigs, I often have to do a LOT of searching to find what I want at the price I want it. I love to go on Wayfair or Frys or Amazon and sort things I want to buy. If I’m looking for a top quality gaming computer, I might sort by highest review and then highest price and compare. High prices on those won’t turn me off, but I’ll take some time to make a purchase. If I need a bulk box of basic toothbrushes, I want to sort by price and I’ll probably instantly pick the lowest one that fits my needs.

So, I don’t mind so much what price is displayed as much as I mind that right now, neither buyer or seller can easily choose what they want to see. I think it’s too early in this game to judge this whole thing much more, though.

Edited to add: After I read another comment, I wanted to add that I think sellers on Fiverr are not all marketing in the same way and that’s part of what makes this hard. The guy who advertises 2 articles for $5 and has 60 orders is kind of like my bulk toothbrush seller. I know of one Pro seller on Fiverr that has made several sales but nothing under a hundred bucks- that’ like my computer seller example. You can’t lump all this under one umbrella. Ok, that’s really it. @misscrystal, I definitely agree with you on the Amazon layout all round.

What I’d like to see regarding price visibility is more choices for both buyers and sellers. As a seller, I’d like to have a toggle to choose my price display per gig (like the watermark toggle) and have the option of showing my starting price, my average package price, or my average real-sale price. As a buyer I would like to be able to sort listings in an Amazon type way, where I could choose to list highest (accurate) rated gigs from top to bottom OR by price from low to high and high to low.

have some gigs where buyers are more likely to purchase my lowest option. I have other gigs where people are more likely to buy based on how good I am based on my real average sales price. I sell in multiple categories, so I’d like a gig by gig option.

When I want to buy gigs, I often have to do a LOT of searching to find what I want at the price I want it. I love to go on Wayfair or Frys or Amazon and sort things I want to buy. If I’m looking for a top quality gaming computer, I might sort by highest review and then highest price and compare. High prices on those won’t turn me off, but I’ll take some time to make a purchase. If I need a bulk box of basic toothbrushes, I want to sort by price and I’ll probably instantly pick the lowest one that fits my needs.

So, I don’t mind so much what price is displayed as much as I mind that right now, neither buyer or seller can easily choose what they want to see. I think it’s too early in this game to judge this whole thing much more, though.

Edited to add: After I read another comment, I wanted to add that I think sellers on Fiverr are not all marketing in the same way and that’s part of what makes this hard. The guy who advertises 2 articles for $5 and has 60 orders is kind of like my bulk toothbrush seller. I know of one Pro seller on Fiverr that has made several sales but nothing under a hundred bucks- that’ like my computer seller example. You can’t lump all this under one umbrella. Ok, that’s really it. @misscrystal, I definitely agree with you on the Amazon layout all round.

If I’m looking for a top quality gaming computer, I might sort by highest review and then highest price and compare. High prices on those won’t turn me off, but I’ll take some time to make a purchase.

I do the same thing on Amazon, first sorting by most 5 star reviews, then by price.

Amazon has a nice feature for their reviews where you see a little chart on the upper left of the sales page showing visually the number of 5 star review, 4 star reviews, etc.

I find that is really helpful, and I can choose to read each group of 5 star, 4 star etc. reviews.

Here we have the mysterious “recommended” section which is worthless in terms of what it shows first, and the “reviews” section which is also worthless since it is not really organized any better than the recommended section.

edit: The recommended section is actually much better now in our category so it might be improved recently.

Cool, but I still don’t see any of that when I explore

I’m not surprised, it switches back from “Average” to “Starting at” every couple days on my view. Buyers must be getting confused.

gig views and sale going down cause of this "average"
gigs showing different price on different places
and cs said that there developers testing it 😡

"Unfortunately, we do not have a ETA on how long the test will be running. We recommend continue doing your best and once the test is completed, depending on your overall performance on your orders, your gig will appear back to normal. "

Has anyone made any sales when their gigs showed the average price? If so what was that price?

My previously popular (at $5) $10 gigs are lucky to get one sale a month. My $5 gigs do ok still.

In our category, anything showing more than $5 is dead.

Most of my gigs are showing above $15 average, one gig got 3 more orders whereas the gig that was bringing me the most orders slowed down quite a bit. It’s a mixed bag of emotions on my end. I’m just happy I’m not the only one in this mess 😃

I also think this is a bad idea, because I think apart from the pro sellers and a small percentile of sellers in every category, most people make a living on here providing high volume sales. The successful ones have figured out a sweet spot to sell something where high volume and value meet. It seems a majority of the decisions fiverr has been making lately veer away from high volume sales. They are essentially shaking up people’s systematic way of operating, which for many has brought them great success and stability.

I mean money always wins at the end of the day. Even if the old ways were effective and resulted in great gains for us as sellers, they are always looking for more more more to appease investors and climb the global rank-- and introducing an entire perception of higher price points is how they are going to do it. I’m all for capitalism and a free market but this is the bad side of it. Always wanting more; it’s never enough to coast on a good thing. I think being adaptable to change is a great thing, but when greed is so blatantly obviously driving the boat, it’s kind of disappointing.

If they are wanting people to spend more money here, honestly just raise the base price to $10 for everyone. At least it would be more transparent and straightforward. If they are so set on positioning the $5 as a juvenile figure, why not just get rid of it? I’m not saying that is actually a solution but it makes me wonder.

I am concerned, because I don’t sell my gigs by average price, I sell by what the customer wants. If a customer wants a 5$ 300 word article, I should not have to worry that the customer will be scared off by an “12$ average” price on a 5$ article. I think this will just scare away many of my potential buyers.

I just noticed that gigs that have high volumes of sales literally have an Average Price higher than their premium package… @fonthaunt @lisabaarns @misscrystal I’ll love to hear your opinions on the matter. Again, not complaining or anything just trying to figure out how we can all benefit from this or at least keep things as they way they are.

I just noticed that gigs that have high volumes of sales literally have an Average Price higher than their premium package… @fonthaunt @lisabaarns @misscrystal I’ll love to hear your opinions on the matter. Again, not complaining or anything just trying to figure out how we can all benefit from this or at least keep things as they way they are.

I have switched all my gigs except about 3 to packages of just one package and they don’t get sales since I did that, or get one every two weeks instead of several a day like they did before.

The 3 that I never switched to packages still do well.

The ones I switched to packages I put a price of $10 on. Sales stopped on them.

We simply cannot show a price above $5 on our gigs in our category.

I have switched all my gigs except about 3 to packages of just one package and they don’t get sales since I did that, or get one every two weeks instead of several a day like they did before.

The 3 that I never switched to packages still do well.

The ones I switched to packages I put a price of $10 on. Sales stopped on them.

We simply cannot show a price above $5 on our gigs in our category.

Hang in there, hopefully, it’ll be over soon.

My thoughts are it is the coup de gras for lots of sellers, the final blow after the algorithm change to end sales for good.

It will stop buyers from even looking at gigs. It will not mean anything to them but seeing how high prices are and driving them away. They will not understand “average price” as they scan over the gig thumbnails aside from thinking gigs are too high priced.

To confuse and alienate potential buyers this way as they scan through gigs is to kill sales.

I saw it on mine too few days ago and I was appalled! I’ve just begun, why average prices?

Archived