Appreciate the non English speakers, or hate them?

wordandrecord

Hate is a very strong word. However, there are some non-English speaking buyers who I do actually hate.

This is because on several different occasions I’ve had non-English resellers of my service make me work like a dog because they can’t figure out their end clients brief. I submit an article, about cheese rolls which they asked me to write, then I get told they need one about car tyres.

Also, I have only ever had chargebacks, threats, abusive spam, blackmail, and genuine hate pointed in my direction from non-English speaking buyers. In fact, Fiverr has made me so un-PC that I have a secret list of nationalities who I will do everything I can to avoid working with.

I have a secret list of nationalities who I will do everything I can to avoid working with.

I am sure your list and mine are pretty similar 🙂

“Hate”=wrong word.

And non-native English speakers, I have no specific problem with. I’m used to working with non-native English speakers who have both bad and good English from my real life jobs. Some non-native English speakers go the extra mile to help you understand what it is that they want.

in my opinion, what makes working remotely with people you don’t know difficult:

• can’t articulate their requirement. This holds for English speakers and non-English speakers
  • come from a culture where ‘aggression’ in communication and business is the norm.

I remember watching a video of people in india struggling to find a job and get paid - they sign up for companies like Amazon, Paypal, etc. but in the process of getting those jobs they endure alot of stress and disappointment for just a little bit of money. After watching the documentary I always tend to be nice to indian people I call for customer support lol

I remember watching a video of people in india struggling to find a job and get paid - they sign up for companies like Amazon, Paypal, etc. but in the process of getting those jobs they endure alot of stress and disappointment for just a little bit of money. After watching the documentary I always tend to be nice to indian people I call for customer support lol

Yeah, when I was young, I worked as a customer support agent for an MNC in Bangalore for $100/month. Funny thing…the cab drivers hired to fetch employees from home to the workplace made 4 times as much 🙂

I try to be nice to Indian call center workers as well. There aren’t any in Greece, but they’re pretty popular in the UK. I think the most notorious example of “badly outsourced” call center work would be train companies. UK place names aren’t always easy to pronounce (Leicester is pronounced “Lester” for example) and a poorly-paid call center worker may just opt for good old Leecester.

Blame the companies, not the worker. Call center work does seem to be one of the outer rungs of Hell though in any case. My biggest complaint was always heavy accents, but you can work with that…

I try to be nice to Indian call center workers as well. There aren’t any in Greece, but they’re pretty popular in the UK. I think the most notorious example of “badly outsourced” call center work would be train companies. UK place names aren’t always easy to pronounce (Leicester is pronounced “Lester” for example) and a poorly-paid call center worker may just opt for good old Leecester.

Blame the companies, not the worker. Call center work does seem to be one of the outer rungs of Hell though in any case. My biggest complaint was always heavy accents, but you can work with that…

They are paid badly because there are far too many people that want these jobs…everyone in India wants desk jobs… the people that start their own business, become plumbers, electricians, building contractors etc. earn much more than that. I found out that Uber drivers in Bangalore earn $2000/month!

They are paid badly because there are far too many people that want these jobs…everyone in India wants desk jobs… the people that start their own business, become plumbers, electricians, building contractors etc. earn much more than that. I found out that Uber drivers in Bangalore earn $2000/month!

Not so dissimilar from the UK: everyone goes to University for degrees (we have covered this subject many times, so just shorthanding that here!) then tries to go for the same pool of graduate jobs. Meanwhile, apprenticeships in the trades… nah. But you can make good money fixing a tap or whatever! I wouldn’t have a clue how to fix that kind of issue, so $80 or whatever to get the part, spend 30 minutes fixing it?

Easy…

Interestingly enough, banks in the UK don’t (to my knowledge) oursource to India. It’s just everyone else. I don’t think I ever had a super-obvious Indian say something like “Hello my name is John” though. That’s kind of ridiculous. Unless John is a popular name in India, in which case I stand corrected.

Not so dissimilar from the UK: everyone goes to University for degrees (we have covered this subject many times, so just shorthanding that here!) then tries to go for the same pool of graduate jobs. Meanwhile, apprenticeships in the trades… nah. But you can make good money fixing a tap or whatever! I wouldn’t have a clue how to fix that kind of issue, so $80 or whatever to get the part, spend 30 minutes fixing it?

Easy…

Interestingly enough, banks in the UK don’t (to my knowledge) oursource to India. It’s just everyone else. I don’t think I ever had a super-obvious Indian say something like “Hello my name is John” though. That’s kind of ridiculous. Unless John is a popular name in India, in which case I stand corrected.

My best friend in college was a Frank…there are many Christians in India. 3% of the population. (Wonder what happened to him!)

Easy…

“Hello my name is John”

Oh I wasn’t exaggerating here.

Taken completely from my personal experience whiles stateside.

So I later heard, since muricans don’t like people with an accent to answer their support calls, Call centers were giving accent classes.

They probably never heard of Frank Sinatra, don’t think they could speak English. Point is there are many in India with Western-like names,

When I was in Korea (South–I’d just get into trouble North) teaching English, the kids often had “English names”. It was so cute meeting 9 year old kids called The Undertaker. Oh, and Rainbow Panties.

Seriously, not making this up!

When I was in Korea (South–I’d just get into trouble North) teaching English, the kids often had “English names”. It was so cute meeting 9 year old kids called The Undertaker. Oh, and Rainbow Panties.

You’ve been around a lot for sure! Anyway, gotta go, work calls.

“Hello my name is John”

Oh I wasn’t exaggerating here.

Taken completely from my personal experience whiles stateside.

So I later heard, since muricans don’t like people with an accent to answer their support calls, Call centers were giving accent classes.

I later heard, since muricans don’t like people with an accent to answer their support calls

Yikes, I must admit my heart skips a beat when a person with a certain accent answers the phone.

In some cases I juuuuuuuuuust can’t understand what they are saying, and I feel bad saying pardon pardon many times. It’s strange, I’m OK with American, most European, Indian, Korean, Hispanic and Indonesian accents, but for some reason I SUCK at understanding German, Vietnamese, and Chinese accents. And oh, Thai too…😭

Once I’ve had a buyer from Ireland and I couldn’t understand her English. She was just asking “I am waiting my design give my design” When I tried to get her idea what she wanted to go on t-shirt ,she cancelled the order with reasoning that:
“Seller have too bad communication” 😂

Did you ever to go Shinsegae in Seoul? Its ginormous

When you were in Korea, did you notice that everyone seemed to have the same surname (usually Park) and that everyone was everyone else’s uncle somehow?

I later heard, since muricans don’t like people with an accent to answer their support calls

Yikes, I must admit my heart skips a beat when a person with a certain accent answers the phone.

In some cases I juuuuuuuuuust can’t understand what they are saying, and I feel bad saying pardon pardon many times. It’s strange, I’m OK with American, most European, Indian, Korean, Hispanic and Indonesian accents, but for some reason I SUCK at understanding German, Vietnamese, and Chinese accents. And oh, Thai too…😭

I believe it’s not only just accent but also bad pronunciation. I don’t have much problem listen to people in movies, whichever accent (unless they purposely speak bad Ingrish, of course). But in real life I have trouble with most accents, minus American and British.

Archived