What is SPAM when it comes to the Fiverr Forums?

fonthaunt

The problem is identified: Spam is spam. We can remove it. It doesn't matter if it comes from an Indian, a brit, or an alien: It can be deleted. It should be deleted. 

We don't have to go after certain nationalities in order to hit delete on bullshit posts.

• Like 2

Just now, moikchap said:

What about this: The Fiverr search options let you filter by seller country of residence. What if the forums let us filter by poster country of residence?

I see the idea. But that would automatically exclude people from the discussion based on their country. Itsa bit different when we're talking about selling a paid service, in my opinion. 

But maybe sorting the forum based on languages could be a thing. English, Spanish, Indian, German etc. But what we really need is some serious moderation. The people who are on here helping and contributing daily is a valuable resource. 

Use it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, smashradio said:

Someone who can sift through and decide what goes on the front page and what goes in the spam pot. 

That makes me think about Steam's "Curator" community feature. If I'm understanding it correctly, any random user can set up a stream of game reviews and any other random user can follow it. So, the implementation here might be something like an individual poster making a List of solid threads, and anyone can peruse that set of threads. Might only need to port over the List/Heart feature from the main site.

Edited by moikchap
  • Like 3

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/3055686

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293860-i511-k11234030-SPAM_in_the_India_Forums_Today-India.html

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/please-dont-fill-up-this-forum-with-stupid-spam-from-india

https://support.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/78603

https://www.stopforumspam.com/country/in

Its just a fact of life every single forum has dealt with Indian spam like this and each and everyone identified it and stopped it

Why are you so intent on saying its not Indians even in the face of undeniable evidence

The whole forum can see its mainly coming from Bangladesh..... Its not racist to call that fact out its a fact

Edited by uk_webcreations
  • Like 3

I am fine with that earlier suggestion of yours, with a sort of ToS on the forum. When you break it, after an X number of times you are suspended. 

I think the past forum had something like that.

But honestly I think they are happy with the way the forum is. 

No one is telling anyone else that you shouldn't post your gig link outside My Fiverr Gigs and Improve My Gig, its usually regular users who do the reminding.

There are also those thankful for my Nth order posts, I am glad they are succeeding but where do we draw the line when the front page is full of it ..

Perhaps engagement counts a lot thus they don't mind what kind of engagement goes on.

😄

• Like 4

1 minute ago, uk_webcreations said:

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/3055686

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293860-i511-k11234030-SPAM_in_the_India_Forums_Today-India.html

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/please-dont-fill-up-this-forum-with-stupid-spam-from-india

https://support.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/78603

https://www.stopforumspam.com/country/in

Its just a fact of life every single forum has dealt with Indian spam like this and each and everyone identified it and stopped it

Why are you so intent on saying its not Indians even in the face of undeniable evidence

I didn't say it's not Indians. I said we shouldn't make separate categories or judge people based on their nationality or ethnicity. Spam is easily recognisable, no matter who posts it. It should be moderated. Simple as that. 

• Like 2

Is spam from India different from other spam? Should we treat it differently? If so, how? If not: Why is it even relevant where its from? Unless you're suggesting banning all Indian IPs from the forum, I don't see why nationality has to play a part in the moderation of the forum.

• Like 2

No its no different mate and if it was a different nationality I would call them out as well... HOWEVER we aren't living in this alternate universe utopia you speak off.. and the problem we have is Indian spam.

But if 1 Norwegian guy or 1 American starts spamming it affects no one its just a minor spam post

However this spam is being done by the thousands of people daily its not the odd bit....

Its post after post after post of absolute crap

I made £5 pray for me

Please all bless Allah today he gave me order

Ive quit my job of 10 years to do the fiverr and have no sales what do i do

the spam is relentless and rather than call it out the fellow Indians encourage it by congratulating them

Congrats brother x 1000

or copy and paste of the post above

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, uk_webcreations said:

No its no different mate

But if 1 Norwegian guy or 1 American starts spamming it affects no one its just a minor spam post

However this spam is being done by the thousands of people daily its not the odd bit....

Its post after post after post of absolute crap

I made £5 pray for me

Please all bless Allah today he gave me order

Ive quit my job of 10 years to do the fiverr and have no sales what do i do

the spam is relentless and rather than call it out the fellow Indians encourage it by congratulating them

Congrats brother x 1000

or copy and paste of the post above

We agree about the spam. It has gotten out of hand. But the issue is moderation. All spam should be treated equally: A warning, then a ban. All pointless posts should at the very minimum be put in a spam pot and left there. 

But to do that we need more moderators among the regular users. It's virtually unexisting at the moment. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 2

Yeah but this isn't addressing the issue this is a band aid for the bigger problem

Why should fiverr have to pay hundreds of people to moderate these stupid posts

Why shouldn't the source of the problem be tackled head on?

The problem could be solved in 1 day if when these posts came up everyone just universally tells them its wrong. However this does not happen they are held aloft and congratulated 250 times for a spam post.

If Indians don't like being classed as spammers then they need to address it themselves not reward the behaviour of the few.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, uk_webcreations said:

Yeah but this isn't addressing the issue this is a band aid for the bigger problem

Why should fiverr have to pay hundreds of people to moderate these stupid posts

Why shouldn't the source of the problem be tackled head on?

The problem could be solved in 1 day if when these posts came up everyone just universally tells them its wrong. However this does not happen they are held aloft and congratulated 250 times for a spam post.

If Indians don't like being classed as spammers then they need to address it themselves not reward the behaviour of the few.

So you suggest doing what, exactly? How do you want to get rid of the spam? What is your solution? 

Pay? Usually, moderators do this type of thing on a voluntary basis. 

• Like 3

I don't think most of them understand that they actions is a spam.
They doesn't realize that their post is irritating and makes the forum bad.

I think regular member could help take actions here.
IF WE saw usesless SPAM.., we can reply the post with kind of WARNING. Show them that this is kind of spam.

OR.., moderator can make pinned post on TOP.
"NEW MEMBER MUST READ.., DON'T DO SPAM POST:
"HOW TO GET ORDER FAST..,
"GOT 1 ORDER TODAY"
"GOT 5 STAR RATE"
"HOW TO INCREASE IMPRESSIONS"
ETC, ETC...

Another options:
Other member can give a post a SPAM checkmark.
and member can filter with "SPAM" post filter.
Kind like email filter.

Overall.., hopefully.. moderator could take a drastic measure and make this forum great again.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, uk_webcreations said:

Give them their own category and let them spam the hell out of each other all day they will soon get bored......    I would call the category......

look at me and stroke my ego... this is where they can go to announce their big announcements such as getting a new badge 

Okay let's say this "Category" of yours is implemented. I assume this is the only category they would be allowed to post in? Because the people who spam tend to be the types who don't exactly know where their post should go in.

• Like 3

The thing is this category would call out to them anyway.....

I know if the forum had a section for UK or US sellers its something I would like to use?

So why would they not like to use it as well.

If they want to congratulate each other then let them do it without us bothering them they can carry on all day

• Like 3

While I was roaming in this forum, I didn't find anything to count them as stupid/spam topics usually. Sometimes in wrong category but not wrong topic though it's about achievement.

I check the forum rules 2021 at 

When it's a post about personal achievements, it means it's not similar thread of others achievement.

And also agree with @smashradio, so I will ask you to edit your posts to remove the countries from there.

Some important points from the forum rules:

The forum does not replace or act as a Customer Support portal.

This forum was created to provide a home for our Fiverr community. This forum is moderated. Each message posted is owned by and the opinion of the original poster. The forum team of volunteers and staff members reserve the right to remove/move/edit any or all posts at any time and remove or suspend the user if deemed necessary.

So as this forum is moderated, and those posts are still available after moderation.

But yes, If you remove the countries specifically, your post could be counted as a feedback so authority can think of the importance.

Unlikely, it will not be stop though!

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, seven_sign said:

Sometimes in wrong category but not wrong topic though it's about achievement.

Of course the forum likes engagement. Posting about achievements is generally fine and I am happy to see people succeed. But do you like seeing the first pages of the forum about everyone celebrating their 1st order? Milestone celebrations sound much better like your 1000th order. I feel like its too much and it needs some sort of intervention so it doesn't overshadow other posts.

Edited by theratypist
  • Like 4

Just now, theratypist said:

I feel like its too much and it needs some sort of intervention so it doesn't overshadow all the other posts.

I also feel same as you. So I suggested to update the post without mentioning any country.

Country shouldn't treat with any specific terms unless it's their own govt policy like EU, California etc.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, seven_sign said:

So I suggested to update the post without mentioning any country.

I agree, spam and irrelevant posts regardless of country.

I think OP was frustrated because it seems that a lot of the content came from a specific country. I agree we shouldn't point countries out. Spam is spam.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, theratypist said:

I agree, spam and irrelevant posts regardless of country.

I think OP was frustrated because it seems that a lot of the content came from a specific country. I agree we shouldn't point countries out. Spam is spam.

According to forum rules, it's not spam actually.

In that case, we're pointing Fiverr to spam 1st page of the forum with this types of posts flood haha!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, seven_sign said:

According to forum rules, it's not spam actually.

In that case, we're pointing Fiverr to spam 1st page of the forum with this types of posts flood haha!

Okay sure, a lot of them might not technically be spam.

That brings another forum rule into play. Lets forget about the achievement posts. What about the impressions, rank and how to get order posts. 

This is a forum rule:

When starting a new discussion, please check that you aren’t duplicating an existing discussion thread or creating one that is very similar. These will be removed.

• Like 5

Yes, I agree with this. I was talking about the point he mentioned in his Topic actually.

People usually don't want to search, they love to get answers.
My question, Answer/discussion should be dedicated for me, It's my own property! 😁

They follow only a partial word from forum rules "Do not copy"
so they do not copy answers/discussion from other posts haha!

• Like 4