What is SPAM when it comes to the Fiverr Forums?

fonthaunt

Reply to @fonthaunt: Agreed, but a language barrier doesn’t keep someone from understanding it’s not okay to post ‘My Gig Threads’ in every category and include a link in every post.

I mean, they MUST know that by spamming they’re reducing their credibility. To me it just means they’re looking for the quick buck and it’s those ‘get rich quick’ minds that are increasing the value of more credible gigs.

On a final thought:

“Could the straggling thoughts of individuals be collected, they would frequently form materials for wise and able men to improve into useful matter.” - Thomas Paine, creator of ‘Common Sense’.

😉

• Like 26
  • Sad 1

Reply to @thusie: I agree with you on these things except one. Amazingly, a lot of people don’t seem to understand the credibility issue or if they do, they are so desperate that they disregard it. I do think language barriers cause some of the issues and will give benefit of the doubt for that part!

On the other hand, some people are just going to spam at all costs and as you said it your other post, if they’ve had notice, it gives forum mods and admins the ability to administer discipline if necessary. Since you gave a final thought, I want one too. 😉

“Life… is like a grapefruit. It’s orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast.”
? Douglas Adams

• Like 27

• 2 weeks later...

Reply to @chellevanhoy: That’s a tricky one. It would really depend on which moderator saw it and what they thought - some things just aren’t black and white. If the other post was clearly a promotion, it would certainly be spam to link to it in Tips. However, in my opinion your “helping” post isn’t promotion if it does bring you clients. If that were true of every help post on the forum would be spam. 🙂

My suggestion would be to watch for sellers who post asking for help or gig checks and when you see someone who has errors in their profile, reply to them and give that person a link to your offer. Personally, I would not suggest starting a Tips post with a link to your other one unless you are really going to write out a thoughtful posts with tips that are related to the same topic.

• Like 36

• 3 years later...

More specifically, from the rules:

You may post links that are relevant to the discussions as long as they are not links to your own website, blog or otherwise violate ToS or these rules.

Most links are against the ToS when used in your gigs/profile, but it’s not very clear if their same list of allowed sites applies here (it doesn’t seem to). From what I’ve seen, the link removal is rather sporadic so it may boil down to a per-mod/per-situation basis. I understand removing suspicious or shortened links but there are tons of links I find removed on the forum.

Sorry, that’s probably not too helpful, but I’m a bit unclear myself.

@fonthaunt Maddie, sorry to disturb you. Can we get clarification on this? Maybe even consider a small rewrite in the rules to clear it up and establish the mod’s stance?

• Like 2

On 1/21/2019 at 11:31 AM, wooden_fish said:

More specifically, from the rules:

Most links are against the ToS when used in your gigs/profile, but it’s not very clear if their same list of allowed sites applies here (it doesn’t seem to). From what I’ve seen, the link removal is rather sporadic so it may boil down to a per-mod/per-situation basis. I understand removing suspicious or shortened links but there are tons of links I find removed on the forum.

Sorry, that’s probably not too helpful, but I’m a bit unclear myself.

@fonthaunt Maddie, sorry to disturb you. Can we get clarification on this? Maybe even consider a small rewrite in the rules to clear it up and establish the mod’s stance?

There really is no way to add an exhaustive list of links that would be okay or not. Mods handle links on a case-by-case basis. If the Mod isn’t sure, links are generally removed unless they are in the approved list used for Fiverr gigs. Even then the link has to be relevant and not used for advertising to be on the forum.

Forum users who want to recommend relevant instructions are encouraged to refer to sites without using links. (For example, “Search Wikihow for instructions to clear the cache.”) Another alternative is to write instructions out and post a guide.

• Like 6

• 2 years later...

Every time one spams the forum their Gig falls back by one position.

So, stop spamming the forum! No more, "Thanks", "Good Tips" and other nonsense unless you want your Gig to disappear completely!

For REAL!!

(***The above is intended to be for amusement only and is not based on any facts - but, I wish it were true***)

GG

• Like 8
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, mariashtelle1 said:

Please stop spamming forum with “sema problem” and “yes of course messages”.

Spamming on the forum will derank your gig. 

I know you're being sarcastic, but sometimes it doesn't come across to everyone as amusement. Someone who comes from a different culture or where English isn't their first language could misinterpret with out knowing the context.  Personally, I try to steer clear of sarcasm in a written format, unless I can be 100% clear in my inclination or tone. 

4 hours ago, genuineguidance said:

So, stop spamming the forum! No more, "Thanks", "Good Tips" and other nonsense unless you want your Gig to disappear completely!

I don't consider acknowledgement of a reply or a post to be "spam". In fact, just the opposite. I like seeing transparency in communication and recognition from those who are participating in the conversation. 

Remember, there are ALL levels of seller here on the forum who are all looking to be a part of the community. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, mjensen415 said:

I don't consider acknowledgement of a reply or a post to be "spam".

Isn't that what the "thanks" emoji is for? So that we don't clutter the forum with unnecessary thanks that can make it more difficult to find the information one might need (if a lot of people post nothing but thanks and good tips)?

• Like 11
  • Up 1

@mjensen415 it’s really great to see an official answer here 

39 minutes ago, mjensen415 said:
6 hours ago, mariashtelle1 said:

I know you're being sarcastic

It’s not a sarcasm, I just made an assumption. The same assumption as “staying active on a forum will rank your gig” 

(by the way, English is also not my first language) 

It also will be great to hear an official answer on other myths like the one mentioned above: Does it make a difference staying online on a forum? 

Edited by mariashtelle1
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, mjensen415 said:

I don't consider acknowledgement of a reply or a post to be "spam". In fact, just the opposite.

Okay, I was boycotting the forum for a variety of reasons (most importantly, the spam), but I have to break my boycott early for this. What is being done in so many threads here on the forum is clearly spam. Many users have made their voices heard about the enormous amount of spam on this forum during the past year. Something that has only gotten worse on the new forum. It is one of the main feedbacks for the forum being shared. But for some reason, it keeps being ignored. It seems Fiverr Fiverr clearly does not care about the quality of the posts here but rather about the quantity. Like you only care about being able to share that forum participation has gone up by x% instead of focusing on the experience worsening for the regular members.

Also, I suspect you might get a different view of the "spam messages" if you actually hung out more on the forum. As far as I recall, you had a total of 2 days of read time on the old forum, which is not really a lot over the span of several years. Maybe you should try an "Undercover Boss"?

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 16
  • Up 1

39 minutes ago, mariashtelle1 said:

It also will be great to hear an official answer on other myths like the one mentioned above: Does it make a difference staying online on a forum? 

No. Activity in the forum does not affect any rankings, listings, or Gigs on Fiverr.com. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1