Suggestion: Fiverr could send a message to Fiverr users warning them about scams

Fiverr could send a message (inbox or email) to all Fiverr users (or at least those who haven't received any orders who might not know how the Fiverr system works but sending it to all users might be better), warning them to be careful of scams in the Fiverr inbox, eg. those that ask to click on/scan QR codes, eg. saying their account can't make/receive orders until they've done what the scammer (pretending to be Fiverr/Fiverr Support) asks. But also those scams where they don't ask people to scan/click on a QR code.

Since there's a big financial risk (people can get scammed out of everything in their bank account if they enter the info that they are asked for in the link they click/scan which seems to them to be part of Fiverr's system) as well as ID theft risk, sending warning messages to users should help reduce the chance of people losing a lot. There could also be warnings sent in future for all new sellers/buyers.

Fiverr could also do other things to minimize the risk, such as not allowing users to change their display name to "Fiverr" or "Fiverr Support" (as was suggested previously but it still seems like people are setting their display name to things like that), checking every inbox message for QR codes that could contain a malicious link (they could check the data in the QR code image after 1st checking it contains a QR code and see where the link goes (and whether the URL has "fiverr" at the start of it), or auto-flag any inbox messages that contain QR codes unless there's a valid reason for them eg. because the seller has gigs related to that).  Fiverr could also add more checks for phrases used in those messages, and if the scam text is only in an attached image then Fiverr could check the text in those images (using OCR functions) to check for phrases used by scammers.

• Like 6
  • Up 3

I think most of the scammers make a specific point to target newcomers to Fiverr.

I have received scam messages from various countries of origin - obviously fake accounts - promising lots of projects (often for services I don't even provide) and wanting to communicate off Fiverr (usually by Telegram).  One was so brazen, they didn't care - or were total amateurs at scamming -- with a profile name just a nonsense string of characters and country of origin Nigeria. All the others have been Turkey, Germany, United States, etc. but essentially using the identical scam message.

Most of these communications have had the accounts disabled before I even had a chance to read them -- and some were not even retained in my Fiverr inbox. The few I did contact via Fiverr were basically "Thank you for your interest. Please engage me through one of my Fiverr gigs" messages. None of them ever did, nor sent any followup e-mails, before those accounts were also disabled.

• Like 4
  • Up 2

So I recently joined Fiverr and I just got a message from “Fiverr support” on the messaging system in the app wanting to confirm my card details.apparently the account was made in may 2024 and in Germany.Do I trust it or is it a scam?

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Hi @jack_taylor1please read our Terms of Service, you'll see that our Customer Support team never contacts you via chat. You'll also find info on how to proceed with scammers like this one, so that the team can block them from the platform. If you need any additional reading material on how to become successful, feel free to let me know and I'll provide you with some reading material. Thanks for understanding and good luck 🍀

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, ana_tomy said:

please read our Terms of Service, you'll see that our Customer Support team never contacts you via chat.

Though where does it say customer support never contact sellers in the chat in the Fiverr TOS? I don't see the section of the TOS that explains that.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

Though where does it say customer support never contact sellers in the chat in the Fiverr TOS? I don't see the section of the TOS that explains that.

The only way to contact our CS is via email or by filling in a web form, so the only way to be contacted by CS is through email. I get that reading the rules is not that interesting, however, sometimes it's the best way to learn about how to be safe on the platform, and avoid scams like this one.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ana_tomy said:

I get that reading the rules is not that interesting, however, sometimes it's the best way to learn about how to be safe on the platform, and avoid scams like this one.

Yes but could you please quote the section of the TOS that states that CS will never contact sellers in the chat since that's what's being stated as what it says.

It never mentions chat, it only mentions message(s) 4 times (not mentioning CS) and never mentions inbox in the TOS. I do see it mentions that users can contact customer support about things, but I don't see anywhere where it says CS will never contact through the inbox.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

Yes but could you please quote the section of the TOS that states that CS will never contact sellers in the chat since that's what's being stated as what it says.

It never mentions chat, it only mentions message(s) 4 times (not mentioning CS) and never mentions inbox in the TOS.

The point is that it doesn't state that you'll be contacted via chat to confirm your card details in order to activate the account. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ana_tomy said:

The point is that it doesn't state that you'll be contacted via chat to confirm your card details in order to activate the account. 

Ok thanks. It's just that if it did actually specifically say to users that support will never do that it would be clearer for them (though not as clear as sending messages to them specifically about the risk of scams, since if it's part of a very long TOS page then it will be less likely to be read there). A proper message about the risk of scams when they sign up or to all users or right after someone publishes a new gig might be helpful (since it seems like people are getting it very soon after they publish a new gig, especially new sellers).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

Ok thanks. It's just that if it did actually specifically say to users that support will never do that it would be clearer for them (though not as clear as sending messages to them specifically about the risk of scams, since if it's part of a very long TOS page then it will be less likely to be read there). A proper message about the risk of scams when they sign up or to all users or right after someone publishes a new gig might be helpful (since it seems like people are getting it very soon after they publish a new gig, especially new sellers).

Thanks for the suggestion, the team is always working on the best approach to any issue, so any suggestion is highly appreciated. I'll forward it myself, but you can also share your thoughts with our CS team, and they'll pass it on as well. Thanks again 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

We've asked on the forum since months ago for Fiverr to prevent people changing their display names to "Support Fiverr" or other display names with the word Fiverr in (though the fact it was "Support Fiverr" rather than "Fiverr Support" might have been a clue that it wasn't legit).

Hopefully one day Fiverr will stop them doing this to help prevent this fraud. The usernames also seem to be in a similar format each time. The Fiverr logo that they've put in their profile also doesn't look like the real one (the colours look a bit different).

@Lena could this be reported to the right Fiverr staff/the developers to put a check in to stop people adding "Fiverr" to their display name please to help prevent this?

Maybe like was also suggested on the forum, Fiverr could send a message to all users (or all new ones) warning about the scams and what to look out for.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, uk1000 said:

We've asked multiple times on the forum, for months for them to stop people changing their display names to "Support Fiverr" or other display names with the word Fiverr in (though the fact it was "Support Fiverr" rather than "Fiverr Support" might have been a clue that it wasn't legit).

Hopefully one day Fiverr will stop them doing this to prevent this fraud. The usernames also seem to be in a similar format each time. The Fiverr logos that they've put in their profile also don't look like the real one.

@Lena could this be reported to the right Fiverr staff/the developers to put a check in to stop people adding "Fiverr" to their display name please to help prevent this?

It definitely feels like we've been saying this for a long time now. 

People are losing money every day and not much is being done. My most recent post got buried (which is fine... but I tried to help.) but the main issue (other than display names) I think is still the fact that the main site doesn't have a spam guide (that is easily reachable and not in the middle of the TOS.)

• Like 3
  • Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, web_healers said:

This is an email from the Fiverr Verification System. To comply with Fiverr terms and conditions, you must verify your identity. All sellers may receive this email as part of the Fiverr automated verification process. I have also received and verified my self.

So provide legal proof of identity along with a selfie. The verification process is quick and should only take a few minutes.

Thank you.

Why are you misguiding OP?  Please stop 🙏 You are putting everyone in trouble. Avoid it. :classic_wacko:

1 hour ago, smediaartpro_2 said:

Anybody known about this notification?

Please report that message/buyer immediately as it's a SCAM. Do not scan anything. Also, do not share your personal or bank details to anyone on Fiverr else you will be in trouble.

• Like 2
  • Up 5

1 hour ago, web_healers said:

This is an email from the Fiverr Verification System. To comply with Fiverr terms and conditions, you must verify your identity. All sellers may receive this email as part of the Fiverr automated verification process. I have also received and verified my self.

So provide legal proof of identity along with a selfie. The verification process is quick and should only take a few minutes.

Thank you.

My God, why would you write this 💩? Oh, wait... I know! Because it will help you get ODERS plzzzz!!!!!!!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Up 1

27 minutes ago, smartdezigns said:

Why are you misguiding OP?  Please stop 🙏 You are putting everyone in trouble. Avoid it. :classic_wacko:

1 minute ago, vibronx said:

My God, why would you write this 💩? Oh, wait... I know! Because it will help you get ODERS plzzzz!!!!!!!!  

What if scammers have arrived on the forum to counteract the precautionary advice?? 🧐🙄

This account is just one hour old. 

brain.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Up 1

1 minute ago, priyank_mod said:

What if scammers have arrived on the forum to counteract the precautionary advice?? 🧐🙄

Wouldn't surprise me! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, web_healers said:

Thank you.

I have reported this post and asked to remove it before somebody believes it.

• Like 2
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, priyank_mod said:

Literally, I thought the same. What if he himself (web_healers) is a scammer who is requesting others to scan the QR code in order to scam them? :classic_huh:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, priyank_mod said:

It's very, very possible.

I mean, the poster might have misunderstood the OP's post... Except for this:

5 hours ago, priyank_mod said:

Does anyone get a real verification notification just an hour after creating their account?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, catwriter said:

I mean, the poster might have misunderstood the OP's post...

I had checked poster's profile. His seller profile had 50+ reviews but his forum account was just one hour old and this was his first post.

So its possible that seller's account was hacked and impersonator came here also to make a deceiving post. 

Few people have reported receiving scam texts from existing sellers!! 😕

• Like 1
  • Up 1

2 hours ago, priyank_mod said:

Few people have reported receiving scam texts from existing sellers!! 😕

Well, I received the typical scam message with a malware file attached to it from a buyer just 6 days ago.

Yes, I know, it's hard to believe. But that's how things are evolving on Fiverr.

So now we not only have to be careful with seller accounts but buyer accounts as well. 😑

• Like 1
  • Sad 6