Suggestion: Fiverr could send a message to Fiverr users warning them about scams

Fiverr could send a message (inbox or email) to all Fiverr users (or at least those who haven't received any orders who might not know how the Fiverr system works but sending it to all users might be better), warning them to be careful of scams in the Fiverr inbox, eg. those that ask to click on/scan QR codes, eg. saying their account can't make/receive orders until they've done what the scammer (pretending to be Fiverr/Fiverr Support) asks. But also those scams where they don't ask people to scan/click on a QR code.

Since there's a big financial risk (people can get scammed out of everything in their bank account if they enter the info that they are asked for in the link they click/scan which seems to them to be part of Fiverr's system) as well as ID theft risk, sending warning messages to users should help reduce the chance of people losing a lot. There could also be warnings sent in future for all new sellers/buyers.

Fiverr could also do other things to minimize the risk, such as not allowing users to change their display name to "Fiverr" or "Fiverr Support" (as was suggested previously but it still seems like people are setting their display name to things like that), checking every inbox message for QR codes that could contain a malicious link (they could check the data in the QR code image after 1st checking it contains a QR code and see where the link goes (and whether the URL has "fiverr" at the start of it), or auto-flag any inbox messages that contain QR codes unless there's a valid reason for them eg. because the seller has gigs related to that).  Fiverr could also add more checks for phrases used in those messages, and if the scam text is only in an attached image then Fiverr could check the text in those images (using OCR functions) to check for phrases used by scammers.

• Like 5
  • Up 2

I think most of the scammers make a specific point to target newcomers to Fiverr.

I have received scam messages from various countries of origin - obviously fake accounts - promising lots of projects (often for services I don't even provide) and wanting to communicate off Fiverr (usually by Telegram).  One was so brazen, they didn't care - or were total amateurs at scamming -- with a profile name just a nonsense string of characters and country of origin Nigeria. All the others have been Turkey, Germany, United States, etc. but essentially using the identical scam message.

Most of these communications have had the accounts disabled before I even had a chance to read them -- and some were not even retained in my Fiverr inbox. The few I did contact via Fiverr were basically "Thank you for your interest. Please engage me through one of my Fiverr gigs" messages. None of them ever did, nor sent any followup e-mails, before those accounts were also disabled.

• Like 3
  • Up 2