Ask your Future self?

kawsar_log

A conversation with my future self: A two man play

Tommy: Dr.

Older Tommy (OT): Dr.

Both men nod approvingly at this movie reference.

Tommy: Ya know, hindsight being what it is, you could have waited till actually losing your hair to start shaving your head.

OT: Well, don’t worry. You’re gonna come by it honestly hoss.

Anyways, who leads with that?

Tommy: what?

OT: What’s the metaphysical possibilities of this meeting? What, are we in some abstract space/time? You’re like ten seconds away from Rod Serling bursting in and you want to cry about your male pattern baldness?

Tommy: I’m just sayin’ - we could have enjoyed the hair for a few more years.

A brief moment of recollection fills the space between the men as they consider the hair that had been. 

Tommy: Hey! Do you think we’re in a Kafka story?

OT: Jumping blue hell, was I really this dim?

Tommy: Well, how do you account for this? I get out of bed, hungry, tired - I don’t get two steps into my kitchen and I’m greeted by me, already standing in my kitchen. And it’s not even the good me. It’s season finale, “crappy elderly makeup” me.

OT: You see! That’s your problem; you think everything requires an explanation. You couldn’t ever let a moment just be.

Tommy: Oh great, I go senile and become a new ageist.

OT: I’m not kidding. You turned everything you enjoyed into work. You couldn’t live in the moment, you were always too busy living in the analysis of the moment. You started working at five - and ya know what? You never stop. And when you did take a moment to relax, you bought books on the “The best practices for relaxation.”

Tommy: I know how to relax! I can like things without making work out of it. 

OT: You spent five years watching Twin Peaks meta-analysis videos. 

Tommy -slightly defeated: Yeah … well … so did you.

OT: Yeah.

Both men regain their composure  

Tommy: Are you here for a reason?

OT: There he goes! Glad you could join the conversation. Don’t you have any questions? I’m from the damn future.

Tommy: Sure, what happened to all the gyms tubby? Clearly you can’t get to one.

OT: And just for that, I’m not going to you the AI safe-code.

Tommy: What safe code, what are you talking about? Does AI take us over? Have you been sent here to save humanity? Am I Sarah Connor?

OT: I’m sorry, I’m too old and fat to remember. 

Tommy: That’s not funny dude. Am I gonna save the world or what?

OT: Calm down sparky, I’m just messing with you.

Tommy: That’s messed up.

A brief pause. The Older Tommy walks to the far cabinet.

OT: You have any of those Swiss rolls we used to keep in here?

Tommy: Absolutely.

The older man anxiously retrieves the treat and makes his way to the kitchen table.

OT: You want one?

Tommy cautiously approaches, takes a Swiss roll and sits across from his older self.

Tommy: Did you travel through time to raid my kitchen?

OT: Ya know, in the future these bad boys are outlawed.

Tommy: Seriously?

OT: Naw … I’m screwing with you.

Tommy: You’re the worst Ghost of Christmas Future ever.

OT: I’m not dead. I’m old. From what I understand, there’s a difference - though I don’t see how.

Tommy: So … why are you here?

OT: I’m here to tell you things. To answer things. To let you “pass go.” I’m here to give you the message that you need to hear. So have it, Mr. “Has to know everything.” Ask away.

Tommy: Alright. Alright. Hmm. Well, let’s say I ask these questions. What happens to you?

OT: Seriously. Dude. I’m kinda on special visit here, if you catch my drift, and I don’t have time to play “what time travel lore are we in” the home game. Just ask your questions and let’s get it done.

Tommy: Right. Right. Okay. But let’s say I find out something I didn’t want to know … do I have time to fix it?

OT: Listen to me - lottery numbers, winning teams, tech investment, the sky is the limit here. The keys to future development. Projected awareness … come on dude.

Tommy: I know. I know. Alright. But let’s say by having the awareness, I alter the nature of reality?

OT: Tommy, this Swiss roll is almost gone. And when it’s gone, I’m gone. You hear me? You need to just make a choice and ask.

Tommy: Right … sure … a question about the future. The future. Fuuu-turrre.

Tommy watches the old man eat. His creased face beaming with total ecstasy with every bite of the Swiss Roll. Bite after glorious bite. Until the plate is empty and the elder doppelgänger sits still, his eyes closed in the bliss of this unlikely dessert. With a tranquil position, the old man opens his eyes and re-emerges into the moment.

OT: Well? Are you going to ask me a question or not?

Tommy: No … I’m just going to let it be.

OT: There’s hope for you yet handsome.

Tommy stands from the table, assured with his decision. He reaches his arm over and shakes the older self’s hand in firmness.

Tommy: I’m going to bed. Lock up when you leave. 

Tommy leaves the table - and with it - leaves the old man sitting, where he had sat so many times before. As he approaches the hallway, Tommy looks back for one last glance.

The old man is gone. 

End Scene 

• Like 18
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 3

Honestly, I probably wouldn't be able to get a question out, because my older self would be scolding me and wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise. So, I wouldn't need to ask, because I'm me and I know myself well enough to stay quiet and listen. 

(I'd consider saying "my older self would punch me", but I've never hit anyone before, and unless something changed between now and future-then, I don't think I'd be hitting anyone in the future, nor the future's past, myself included.)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

Honestly, I probably wouldn't be able to get a question out, because my older self would be scolding me and wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise. So, I wouldn't need to ask, because I'm me and I know myself well enough to stay quiet and listen. 

(I'd consider saying "my older self would punch me", but I've never hit anyone before, and unless something changed between now and future-then, I don't think I'd be hitting anyone in the future, nor the future's past, myself included.)

That is an interesting point about our "older self", I appreciate your point of view!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

I can see the opposite for me ... my older self would just say, "Chill...que sera, sera" 😂

I am already the "future me" for my younger self - who was very strict about everything, anxiety-ridden, and emotional. I had mental breakdowns whenever things didn't go as planned (even the weather). As a kid, I wanted to be just like my grandma because nothing seemed to faze her - she would just smile and keep on going. I really admired her fortitude and grace.

I've learned how to "loosen up" over the years, especially when I got married and had kids. Crazy things happen all the time. However, I still tend to worry about things outside of my control (or operate from a fear-based mentality).

On 7/13/2023 at 1:35 AM, kawsar_log said:

What questions would you ask your future self?

I wouldn't ask myself anything. None of the concerns that I have right now would matter to my future self anyways. I just hope I look like my grandma, with her shock-white hair, purple lipstick, and colorful muumuu!

• Like 19
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/13/2023 at 4:35 PM, kawsar_log said:

If you had an opportunity: What questions would you ask your future self?

I think I wouldn't really ask anything, but I would just be proud of what I have achieved in life, with the love of my life. I would be proud of the things I have accomplished personally and professionally. I would be proud of my relationships with my family and friends. And I would be proud of the love I have found with my partner.

I think it would be a very emotional experience to meet my future self. I would be curious to see what my life has become. But I think also a little bit sad because I would know that my future self is getting older and that my time is limited.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

On 7/17/2023 at 6:09 AM, maheennadeem814 said:

I think I wouldn't really ask anything, but I would just be proud of what I have achieved in life, with the love of my life. I would be proud of the things I have accomplished personally and professionally. I would be proud of my relationships with my family and friends. And I would be proud of the love I have found with my partner.

I think it would be a very emotional experience to meet my future self. I would be curious to see what my life has become. But I think also a little bit sad because I would know that my future self is getting older and that my time is limited.

That's very thoughtful of you! I really like the "be proud of yourself" part! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 2:05 AM, vickieito said:

I just hope I look like my grandma, with her shock-white hair, purple lipstick, and colorful muumuu!

Wow, sounds like your grandma was cool and had quite the fashion sense! I won't ask anything to my future self.
If I can say anything to my past self, I'll say "Everything will work out, don't worry."
I get the feeling whatever it is that I might ask my future self, I'm gonna get the same answer 🙂

• Like 17
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

On 13.7.2023 at 14:35, kawsar_log said:

Wenn Sie die Gelegenheit hätten: Welche Fragen würden Sie Ihrem zukünftigen Ich stellen?

Hallo ich denke ich würde gerne wissen ob ich weiterhin das selbe möchte was ich jetzt tue in Zukunft. Ich bin aktuell als Freelancer tätig fühle mich wohl bis jetzt ob das weiterhin so wird zeigt sich mit der Zeit.

• Like 12
  • Up 1

• 2 weeks later...