Fiverr 4.0 - Some thoughts on the current state of things

frank_d

2 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

Bad private reviews, especially from a new Fiverr buyer can easily burry your account for a while. It happened to me among many others, and I am still recovering.

I personally think this private review system is so unnecessary and unfair to sellers. How long do you think it takes to recover from it?

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Since I turned on "Request to order", I've gotten two order requests... from spammy sellers who can't tell a gig from a BR. I've had, precious few, new actual customers since then, but I think they all used the normal contact button, just like before. Now, I'm wondering if the main "benefit" of using that feature is our gigs being shown to fewer people. I didn't really get direct orders that I would not have wanted before, more the contrary, usually... apart from orders from spammy sellers who can't tell a gig from a BR... which is the only reason I activated the feature.

So, what is worse for my account, having the feature on, or cancellations of orders from sellers who obviously don't know enough English to even be on this platform...🤔

• Like 25
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello guys, I found this forum searching Google for anyone posting anything on why Fiverr is a ghost town where all we hear are crickets. I have been on Fiverr since it started, and have had huge success as a seller through the years. Yes there have been some ups and owns, mostly starting just before 2019. But in reading through the forum I now know it is not just me the last year, and more so leading up to April 2023 now. Never in the years I have been here on Fiverr have I gone more than 1 or 2 days without some sort of order, being it from a return buyer or anyone else. Over the last 5 weeks, it has been a ghost town. I have used the Promoted gigs since it was released. I have paid over $1000 a month on some months for what it cost me, obviously I made much more than that to justify it. So far just this month of April 2023, my Promoted gigs balance I owe is $48. How can anyone explain that???

And yes, I have had maybe 3 gigs over the last weeks. There was a time long ago, (que the remember when music) where Fiverr talked about how they honored and stood by Fiverr sellers and how it was neat to see in posted articles that said seller was able to pay for college, buy a new car or even a new house. After about 5 years of that, just about the time Fiverr got something like 60 million in investment funds to start growing that all that was thrown out the window. Times were good still through 2017 2018, and then you noticed that all kinds of algo changes were in place to support the buyer and throw the seller under the bus.

Switching to the last year or so, there have been months of steady decline to the bottom, and then the next month would rise, I call it the roller coaster effect. Hold on because there is no seat strap. 

I have over 31000 completed projects here on Fiverr, I have lived here. But to see what is happening, even more so in the last several months, is killing me. I have read through the forum here and agree that Fiverr just may have way too many programmers, and none know what the other is doing or how it will react. I don't know I am not a programmer. 

AI was mentioned, I am in Voiceover and do have a off Fiverr business as well. I first noticed AI voices in internet marketing a few years ago and knew that would be a killer. Probably is playing some sort of something now, but that cannot bring down the entire Voiceover gigs section on Fiverr. It is coming from within.

The other point I want to comment on, and I usually stay away from forums and social sites with any comments, but I felt compelled to at least voice something here. 

The under cutters, who are charging $5 and $10 and offering everything, and the kitchen sink are what is keeping Fiverr cheap in the minds of everyone, mostly buyers. They want everything for nothing. I do have clients that pay big for what they need, and they understand you get what you pay for. But when all you have are people selling for $5 for 200 words, as an example, it is promoting cheap for everyone. 

There was something mentioned maybe a year or so ago that Fiverr didn't want to have $5 and $10, and if we saw anyone selling for that to let them know because they were going to up the so called bottom rates above that across the board. Yet today you can search, and as it was mentioned in this forum, there at the top of the search are a handful selling $5 gigs and loaded with buyers. 

And yes I know that cheap buyers, especially in Voiceover don't care what the final product sounds like, they just what a read done. I have people come to me with a video they had done and the creator used a AI voice, they think it sounds aweful and want me to do a read for them, but because they paid the video guy $10 to make the video with AI voice, they don't want to pay above $5 for me to re read. 

And if on one occasion I decide to help them, they get the read and then say they are not happy with it and want a cancel or leave a low rating. I have 31000 completed projects and approx 20 negative reviews, all those reviews are from that or better yet, buyers who don't read instructions and again want everything for nothing. I have made it very clear my thoughts on the reviews where we can also type a comment after they leave the review. 

Being on Fiverr for so long, I feel like my blood sweat and tears have helped build it, like a family member, but now being kicked to the side.

I know there are other platforms out there, I have used them. But like you have said in here, they are a pain to navigate and get anything. I know as a Voiceover talent that you do have to audition daily, and I am doing that off Fiverr, but I also know that Fiverr has been a huge side part of my business for years. Just hate to see what is happening.

Mark

• Like 39
  • Sad 2
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

We all feel your pain Mark, trust me. Hopefully things will get back to more of a state of normal here in the next few weeks.

I think the overall lesson here though is not to put all your eggs in one basket. Because if that basket breaks, you're left to start all over again with something new. In this case, Fiverr is that basket.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2023 at 11:50 AM, siridhata said:

Yeah, slump for me too. A week without new briefs (not that that I miss them), days without orders and without messages from new potential buyers. Gig impression went from 1000+ to 100 real quick even while being promoted. Repeat buyers haven't been active even after I offered some coupons. Top rated seller, all metrics 100%, 1 hour response rate and 5 star average ratings. Even applied the top keywords based on the seller plus program. I don't know where it went wrong.

So yesterday I checked to renew my Seller Plus subscription but found out that I am no longer eligible to use the program. When I searched the words & phrases that are part of my gig title and keywords my gig doesn't even show up in all 20 pages. No wonder my gig impressions are only in the 100s for days now which is very concerning. So I tried reaching out to the support team and they told me there are many factors that determine the position of my gig, such as overall performance, ratings, number of completed orders. Most of us already know this. But what's bothering me is my scores are flawless in those factors. So I asked why I'm no longer eligible to use the Seller Plus program and a different person from the team said that the cause is related to "additional internal factors" and these are classified.

Are these "additional internal factors" the private surveys? And will my gig ever recover despite no longer receiving orders? I'm very distressed because Fiverr has been one of my main income for years and I've done everything I can in keeping my scores flawless including promoting my gig but instead of getting results, I am seemingly being punished for something outside of my capabilities.

Edited by siridhata
  • Like 23
  • Sad 4
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cre8iveartwork said:

Most likely yes after a period of time. You can also rely for a period on repeat buyers perhaps ( if possible ) 

That's how I've gotten through before but lately even my repeat buyers haven't been active (based on their last seen and me reaching out offering discounts but no response).

• Like 22
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, siridhata said:

So yesterday I checked to renew my Seller Plus subscription but found out that I am no longer eligible to use the program. When I searched the words & phrases that are part of my gig title and keywords my gig doesn't even show up in all 20 pages. No wonder my gig impressions are only in the 100s for days now which is very concerning. So I tried reaching out to the support team and they told me there are many factors that determine the position of my gig, such as overall performance, ratings, number of completed orders. Most of us already know this. But what's bothering me is my scores are flawless in those factors. So I asked why I'm no longer eligible to use the Seller Plus program and a different person from the team said that the cause is related to "additional internal factors" and these are classified.

It can be frustrating when there are undisclosed factors affecting your business. It's important to keep striving for excellence in the areas you can control, but it's also okay to recognize that some things may be out of your hands.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

On 4/19/2023 at 11:00 PM, siridhata said:

When I searched the words & phrases that are part of my gig title and keywords my gig doesn't even show up in all 20 pages. No wonder my gig impressions are only in the 100s for days now which is very concerning. So I tried reaching out to the support team and they told me there are many factors that determine the position of my gig, such as overall performance, ratings, number of completed orders. Most of us already know this. But what's bothering me is my scores are flawless in those factors. So I asked why I'm no longer eligible to use the Seller Plus program and a different person from the team said that the cause is related to "additional internal factors" and these are classified.

Are these "additional internal factors" the private surveys? And will my gig ever recover despite no longer receiving orders? I'm very distressed because Fiverr has been one of my main income for years and I've done everything I can in keeping my scores flawless including promoting my gig but instead of getting results, I am seemingly being punished for something outside of my capabilities.

I'm in the same boat here. It's really frustrating when you work your ass like crazy, think you're moving forward and suddenly Fiverr kills your momentum without disclosing any relevant information at all. This happened to me last week, and it hasn't stopped.

Now I'm in a dire situation because I had to raise my rates to a recurring client that I've got since my rates were lower, and he didn't accept them. I feel like I no longer can trust Fiverr as a long-term platform as I used to some days ago.

Ghosted Gig.png

• Like 23
  • Sad 7
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, mario_rdz said:

I'm in the same boat here. It's really frustrating when you work your ass like crazy, think you're moving forward and suddenly Fiverr kills your momentum without disclosing any relevant information at all. This happened to me last week, and it hasn't stopped.

Now I'm in a dire situation because I had to raise my rates to a recurring client that I've got since my rates were lower, and he didn't accept them. I feel like I no longer can trust Fiverr as a long-term platform as I used to some days ago.

I understand how frustrating it can be when you feel like you're making progress and then suddenly encounter roadblocks. However, it's important to remember that setbacks are a natural part of any journey. Keep delivering quality work and focusing on building your skills and reputation. While it can be disheartening when a client doesn't accept your new rates, it's important to value your time and expertise. Don't lose faith here just yet - continue to explore opportunities and ways to improve your work. Good luck!

• Like 26
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, smartpad said:

Don't lose faith here just yet - continue to explore opportunities and ways to improve your work. Good luck!

Well, I don't know what kind of opportunities I will find here if I can't be seen by new possible clients. I could try doing marketing on social media, but if I do that, why would I send people to a platform that charges me 20% when there are some that don't charge me at all?

I still love Fiverr and want to keep growing here, but the company seems to not value its sellers at all.

• Like 25
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, mario_rdz said:

Well, I don't know what kind of opportunities I will find here if I can't be seen by new possible clients. I could try doing marketing on social media, but if I do that, why would I send people to a platform that charges me 20% when there are some that don't charge me at all?

I still love Fiverr and want to keep growing here, but the company seems to not value its sellers at all.

Yeah, it's so weird that possibly one bad private survey just sends our gig to the abyss never to be found without considering all our good efforts. Like how are we suppose to amend and get better ratings if our gig can't be seen therefore won't generate new orders? That's why I'm wondering if we can recover from this despite not getting orders.

Edited by siridhata
  • Like 24
  • Sad 2
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mario_rdz said:

If you can manage to get clients outside Fiverr, that's even better! You'll have more control over your rates, and won't have to worry about Fiverr's 20% fee. However, Fiverr can still be a great option to supplement your income and find new clients.

I also understand your frustration about Fiverr seeming to prioritize buyers over sellers. It's important to remember that buyers are the ones bringing in the money for Fiverr, so it's natural that they would prioritize their needs. This is especially true when Fiverr already has a lot of freelancers offering similar services. It's a delicate balance, but it's necessary for the platform to succeed.

In the end, it's up to you to decide whether Fiverr is the right platform for you. But it's always a good idea to diversify your marketing channels and not rely on just one platform.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, smartpad said:

It's important to remember that buyers are the ones bringing in the money for Fiverr, so it's natural that they would prioritize their needs. This is especially true when Fiverr already has a lot of freelancers offering similar services. It's a delicate balance, but it's necessary for the platform to succeed.

Yes, that's true. Fiverr profits from the 20% it charges to its sellers, but it's because of buyers that it is able to do so.

By the way, my situation has been fixed. Today I woke up and my gigs are eligible for promotion again, my gig now appears on the first page of the search results, and I got the early payout option back. I'm glad and thankful it happened, I didn't want to move to another platform.

• Like 26
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mario_rdz said:

Yes, that's true. Fiverr profits from the 20% it charges to its sellers, but it's because of buyers that it is able to do so.

By the way, my situation has been fixed. Today I woke up and my gigs are eligible for promotion again, my gig now appears on the first page of the search results, and I got the early payout option back. I'm glad and thankful it happened, I didn't want to move to another platform.

I feel like I am experiencing the exact same thing. Was making massive grounds as one of the top producers on fiverr and then my account just got shadow banned out of nowhere with no explanation. Support isn't helpful and it doesn't make any sense. What did you do to get your account eligible for promotion again? 

• Like 20
  • Sad 2
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mario_rdz said:

It's due to bad private reviews. If you have one or more of them, they can be very problematic for your account. Yet if you receive some good private reviews, those balance things out.

• Like 23
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

It's gotten to be complicated and difficult for many buyers to order on Fiverr.

They have to answer multiple questions and guess the pre-written answers. That's like taking a driving text before ordering.

Then dealing with all the options for extending the auto-complete, leaving a review (including an option "I hate it") , plus more questions.

Combine this with a rather high service charge (40% when I ordered recently) and a global recession with high inflation when buyers and small business just don't have much money....and you've got a big slump...by far the biggest slump I've seen in 11 years on Fiverr. 

• Like 19
  • Confused 1
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mario_rdz said:

Congrats! That's awesome to hear. How long was the bad phase and did your impressions rise again?

• Like 20
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, moikchap said:

If I recall correctly, there's an additional flat $2 charge for orders under $50. So a $5 order would have effectively 40% service fees before tax.

As far as I know buyers pay $7.25 or $7.5 for a $5 order, due to the processing fees. 

• Like 22
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1