Fiverr 4.0 - Some thoughts on the current state of things

frank_d

Just now, williambryan392 said:

I didn't like the email BUT we may be overreacting, this is at least a minor step towards more visibility on BSS which is something I know we'd all like

I missed Frank's post I think. So basically the email said there's a BSS drop?

• Like 33
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

So is this email for top rated, pro sellers, or just anyone a part of the Seller Plus program? I didn't receive any email myself.

I think it said seller plus. 

3 minutes ago, williambryan392 said:

10.38 UK time for me...

Mine was 11:29 Swedish time. So looks like they came roughly at the same time but not exactly. 

I feel like this could be good if it provided real solutions or insight into what's rated worse than it should be. 

• Like 32
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

5 minutes ago, williambryan392 said:

I didn't like the email BUT we may be overreacting, this is at least a minor step towards more visibility on BSS which is something I know we'd all like

We are overreacting? When they clearly state first time buyers are clueless, and if they are unhappy for reasons we can't control, that "can have a significant impact on your Gig’s visibility "?

When they don't say exactly what's wrong, so we can't know what to improve? When this only serves to fester paranoia? I'm tired of being treated like a criminal. My buyers are happy. This is nonsense.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 35
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, katakatica said:

I think it said seller plus. 

I am a Seller Plus member and I never received that. I received one when the BSS thing was implemented but since then, nothing. I guess they counted me out because I contacted the manager beforehand. Who knows. 

• Like 31
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

We are overreacting? When they clearly state first time buyers are clueless, and if they are unhappy for reasons we can't control, that "can have a significant impact on your Gig’s visibility "?

‘May’ should have been capitalised, it’s been a long day and I’m on mobile. I think they always say that about gig visibility. The thing is it’s beyond our control so what can we do apart from continue to do our best and also hope for the best. It’s isn’t good for the anxiety though without actionable feedback. I’d like to know which gig they mean at least!

• Like 36
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

2 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

When they don't say exactly what's wrong, so we can't know what to improve? When this only serves to fester paranoia? I'm tired of being treated like a criminal. My buyers are happy. This is nonsense.

I will say that to some extent I have to agree. The second I read the email I freaked out (I'm one day post wisdom tooth extraction so that also contributes to it but also, anxiety.) if someone could explain: yeah, your buyers think that you did wrong or that you didn't explain x process to them, I'd totally get it but without it it just doesn't feel right I guess? I'm working on having a visual progress guide and a visual portfolio guide to replace the written what but if people don't read (or are just honest/wanted something else) there isn't much I can do. 

Even my angel of a dentist has some bad reviews. It's just how it works, not everyone will be happy. 

• Like 38
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 1

1 minute ago, katakatica said:

Even my angel of a dentist has some bad reviews. It's just how it works, not everyone will be happy. 

Just imagine, in any other type of service, having a 4.7 average review being considered bad, or grounds to being deplatformed, demoted. No other business can get screwed and lose money badly because of one idiot client. But here? You better be god, or else. But hey, even god didn't appeal to everyone, his son was crucified. I'm screwed, then.

• Like 34
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

I can't see the email you are discussing, but I assume its the same one I just got from Seller Plus about "First Time Buyer Satisfaction Guidance."  This is disheartening because in the last 3 months I have had only 1 first time buyer who, like many, ordered then asked for a revision when they changed their script. Of course, I politely offered to sell them a revision, which was met with the usual "What, you want more money? You are supposed to work for me forever, for free."

After explaining that my revision offer carried a 50% discount the user just accepted the delivery and did not leave a review. So Fiverr turned my gig off because I attempted to make us both additional revenue by selling a revision, as opposed to rewarding someone who did not read the 3 places in my gig and offer that explained the revision policy.

Worse yet, when I contacted my SM about this a few weeks ago, she assured me that my private reviews were fine and not a concern. Watching them erase the best sellers on the platform is amazing. 

• Like 31
  • Sad 7
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 1

11 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Worse yet, when I contacted my SM about this a few weeks ago, she assured me that my private reviews were fine and not a concern. Watching them erase the best sellers on the platform is amazing. 

We have the same SPM, and she told me in the middle of March that my BSR was down slightly. But she did not think it was why my sales were slumping. She suggested instead that I turn on promoted gigs and turn off the Request to order feature. However, I think I will turn it on again since 99% of my orders are not direct. There is too much chance of getting a poor private review from a first-time buyer.

• Like 34
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

I think I will turn it on again

I am going to do that right now. If they are giving a noob with a $5 bill, limited English skills and no intention of reading policies clearly explained in the gig, the power to cancel someone who has been on the platform for 7 years and made Fiverr a crap ton of money, I for one, will refuse to work with any non experienced buyers. 

Interesting that TOS preventing blackmail via threatening bad reviews, but now hands anyone who can't get 100% what they want a kill switch for a seller account. Since this is all public here in the forum, I cannot imagine how it won't will force sellers who do engage with new buyers to become a doormat. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 32
  • Sad 3
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

I had a call with my SM 4 days ago. Everything was fine.

Only 2 orders completed in the meanwhile. Both were happy, both left great reviews, both want to work with us again, both had ordered before on Fiverr (this was the second completed order for both of them, and their accounts weren't even made in 2023).

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 31
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, newsmike said:

If they are giving a noob with a $5 bill, limited English skills and no intention of reading policies clearly explained in the gig, the power to cancel someone who has been on the platform for 7 years and made Fiverr a crap ton of money, I for one, will refuse to work with any non experienced buyers. 

A noob with a $5 bill couldn't order from you anyway.

Don't people who spend at least $120 read?

• Like 28
  • Haha 7
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2

11 minutes ago, catwriter said:

Don't people who spend at least $120 read?

You would think so. They don't. Or they pretend not to. I've had clients pay over $1000 just to ask a question about multiple revisions, or delivery of project files (both against what I clearly state I offer in my gigs) immediately after placing the order. I almost assume they do it on purpose to corner me.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 38
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

The good news is that you can exclude precisely the most dangerous audience using "request to order", now I just need to write the Quick Reply that says why I can't work with them. 

image.png.6de5b06ea73811c1cd47122f768bc344.png

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 35
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

It's a great solution for people with a ton of repeated business, or that just use Fiverr as a side hustle. If you are depending on Fiverr to pay the bills, and you don't do a lot of repeated orders, or didn't start so long ago you already have a huge list of past clients, it's a major issue.

• Like 34
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

3 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

It's a great solution for people with a ton of repeated business, or that just use Fiverr as a side hustle. If you are depending on Fiverr to pay the bills, and you don't do a lot of repeated orders, or didn't start so long ago you already have a huge list of past clients, it's a major issue.

Agree, Not suggesting this is optimal for everyone. But it does limit the damage a noob can do to an established account. I wish it weren't necessary, but Fiverr created this "Let's let new people who know nothing about how Fiverr works determine the fate of our best sellers", insanity. 

• Like 35
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2

I had request to order activated for everything anyway, old and new buyer alike. But needing to turn down first time buyers will hurt. Also, promoted gigs just became even worse - why pay for contacts that are likely to be first time buyers that I will need to turn down anyway?

• Like 33
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, and I just realised this - they made it so gaming the system is WAY easier. If anything, OLD buyers feedback should count more - they are the one that pay Fiverr's bills. They are the ones that know what's good work and bad work on Fiverr, because they have experience.

You just made it trivial for any bad actor to create a new buyer account, place an order with someone they don't like (or their competition), and since they are a "first time buyer" have their targeted attack count MORE. It's insanity.

• Like 36
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1