You need to know this !!

surajrenuka

Hello Everyone,

So this happened to me very first time and I was stunned!

I was workgin on Monday evening around 8 : 10 PM IST and I received a message in my inbox from on of my old buyer.

He wrote me, " hi, what is this link? "

And I went to my inbox to answer him and I saw some suspecious message in my inbox that was sent from my side to that old buyer..

It was somethinkg like this

"Would you appreciate this example of my new work?

<and third party cloud storage link> "

I immidiatly warrned him not to click on that link because I never sent any message to him but Yes it was sent from my inbox !

While I was trying to figure out what was that and explaining that perticular client that that may be someone else who managed to hack or something I saw that my inbox started sending same messgea to my other buyers one by one and before I could react or think it was sent to almost like 10-20 other buyers in raw and I immidiatly went to my account security page and logged out from any loogged in devices then went to fiverr CS page opened up the ticket for the same.

Everything happened in just like 5-10 minutes, I changed my password to some other.

fiverr replied to me within 10 minutes and suggested to do same.

mean while that message was sent to almost 60-80 of my buyers and I had to warn them not to click because it wasnt me.

so I created small message and started copy pasting in their inbox.

I requested fiverr to remove that message from inbox, they asked for list of the buyers who got that message so I prepared the list and shared.

I can still see that message in my inbox though but yesterday same time I received Email from fiverr that my Account is tempororily suspended and I need to varify my self with ID and selfie.

I did varify and they replied with congrats you are varified.

My account is still restricted for probably security reasons and they will restore it back soon I am guessing.

I emailed them that I am verified but still account is suspended and their last message was today early in the morning that once I scan my computer with Antivirus and send them Screen shot they will tell me what to do next.

and here I am scaning my whole computer haha..

I jst thought that everyone here needs to know that this may happen to any one and that may affect your reputation and you may get considered as spammer by many of your genuine buyers..

Keep your account safe guys !

I'll tell you what happens next here..

In case you dont see me posting anymore then its farewell 😄 🙂

All the best !

• Like 21
  • Sad 7
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, surajrenuka said:

No! No, you'll certainly get through this, but it's really annoying, mean people out there. I hope none of your customers clicked that link, and if any did, or even if not, that they won't lose their trust in the platform due to this happening. Hope you'll get full access to your account again very soon!   

• Like 18
  • Up 2

I hope I get it back It been 8 years that I am here and I believe fiverr knows me  🙂

I am in touch with fiverr and it looks like they have restricted to secure and to make sure any further activities are being done by me.

They asked for selfie and ID verifications which I passed successfuly.

Few of those buyers did click they said after I message them that it wasnt me dont click on that.

They said Nothing happend and link wasnt working.

Couple of them said they downloaded something and after my message they immediately scrapt that.

• Like 16
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, surajrenuka said:

Couple of them said they downloaded something and after my message they immediately scrapt that.

It might be worth them running a virus scan on their device too just in case. eg. if they downloaded it they might have clicked on it to see what it was.

• Like 17
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2

@surajrenuka - that's terrible that this happened to you! 

I agree with @miiila, your account was only temporarily shut down to protect both you and your buyers as Fiverr investigates things on their end.

You might want to change any other passwords that you may have and set up a two-step phone verification (I think it's set up through Chrome). I'm not sure how I set it up but I need to have my phone near me in order to login to Fiverr. It's a bit annoying having to login several times a day this way because  I have to go through and close all the "new" notifications/tutorial steps Fiverr has. However, it does make me feel more secure. 

I really hope that you are up and running again soon!

• Like 13
  • Up 5

@surajrenukaSo sorry to hear this. I had something similar happen but the outcome was not as serious.  I had someone get into my yahoo email, hacked my facebook account and used it for inappropriate things.  They also used it to access Facebook ads. Because of the first issue, my account was not suspended, it was deleted. And, I was one of the first non college students on Facebook, after the high school kids got it. So, I was upset. It just shows how important account security is and having a diversified business plan. I hope you get back up and running soon and your traffic is not impacted.

• Like 15
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

@vickieito Thank you for sharing valueable feedback. Yes I think thats for security reason but my buyers must be searching for me and must have gone crazy I am sure 😐

Yes I changed password and immidiatly turned on two factor authentication too.

I dont think my password was leaked or not sure it can be cracked because that was strong ( I have set up stronger now haha) but some how they managed to access my inbox only I am guessing..not the full account access..but not so sure.

@minordetails Oh yes..recently I am facing this more often but never thought that this can happen with fiverr too..

my IG and twitter was suspended few months ago and they emialed me that they saw some suspecious activities on y account, however I managed to get it back ine like 48 hours.

for fiverr its 24 hours now and they havent said a word to me about why my acount has bee suspended but tjhey are still communicating with me and telling me they have transfered the case to dedicated team.

• Like 13
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, surajrenuka said:

Hello Everyone,

So this happened to me very first time and I was stunned!

I was workgin on Monday evening around 8 : 10 PM IST and I received a message in my inbox from on of my old buyer.

He wrote me, " hi, what is this link? "

And I went to my inbox to answer him and I saw some suspecious message in my inbox that was sent from my side to that old buyer..

It was somethinkg like this

"Would you appreciate this example of my new work?

<and third party cloud storage link> "

I immidiatly warrned him not to click on that link because I never sent any message to him but Yes it was sent from my inbox !

While I was trying to figure out what was that and explaining that perticular client that that may be someone else who managed to hack or something I saw that my inbox started sending same messgea to my other buyers one by one and before I could react or think it was sent to almost like 10-20 other buyers in raw and I immidiatly went to my account security page and logged out from any loogged in devices then went to fiverr CS page opened up the ticket for the same.

Everything happened in just like 5-10 minutes, I changed my password to some other.

fiverr replied to me within 10 minutes and suggested to do same.

mean while that message was sent to almost 60-80 of my buyers and I had to warn them not to click because it wasnt me.

so I created small message and started copy pasting in their inbox.

I requested fiverr to remove that message from inbox, they asked for list of the buyers who got that message so I prepared the list and shared.

I can still see that message in my inbox though but yesterday same time I received Email from fiverr that my Account is tempororily suspended and I need to varify my self with ID and selfie.

I did varify and they replied with congrats you are varified.

My account is still restricted for probably security reasons and they will restore it back soon I am guessing.

I emailed them that I am verified but still account is suspended and their last message was today early in the morning that once I scan my computer with Antivirus and send them Screen shot they will tell me what to do next.

and here I am scaning my whole computer haha..

I jst thought that everyone here needs to know that this may happen to any one and that may affect your reputation and you may get considered as spammer by many of your genuine buyers..

Keep your account safe guys !

I'll tell you what happens next here..

All the best !

Thank you for letting the community know 😶

• Like 13
  • Up 1

• 2 months later...

That sounds intense! I'm glad to see everything worked out in the end. Make sure you change your password to make sure you lock out any future hackers. Seeing this happened like 2 months ago, hopefully you've already done that and things are going well for you now that your account is back up. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1