Reaching Out to Previous Clients OK?

johnalet

On 4/21/2022 at 12:27 PM, lloydsolutions said:

Please respect our members privacy by not contacting them with offers, questions, suggestions or anything which is not directly related to their Gigs or orders.

The above is from the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page under Violations.

Seems THIS is the right answer. Thanks!

• Like 10

On 4/21/2022 at 6:39 PM, geo316 said:

Is it allowed to reach out to past clients to let them know about a new gig, extra or offer discounted services? If allowed, does anyone do this? Is it profitable?

It’s not frowned upon, but I don’t recommend it.

For several reasons. 

I don’t recommend offering discounts to past clients purely because that’s leaving money on the table. You should “spend money” to acquire new clientele not entice existing ones.

Secondly: I think that one should reach out to past clientele when they have something new to offer that is of value.

For instance, you can use your “contacts” page to look at past clients that were a good fit and see if you have a new service to offer them.

A specific example: I just recently started offering a 3D animation gig. Once I created it, I reached out to past clients that I knew could benefit from that service plus more specifically clients that were a good fit and had clearly demonstrated they had resources.

That way it’s not me asking them to come back, it’s me offering them more value and thinking of them. 🙂 

As for what Fiverr thinks:

ToS clearly states it’s a no-no but at the same time, CS agents seem to recommend this to new sellers. 

• Like 13
  • Up 3

On 4/25/2022 at 10:06 AM, frank_d said:

It’s not frowned upon, but I don’t recommend it.

<snip>

Secondly: I think that one should reach out to past clientele when they have something new to offer that is of value.

<snip>

As for what Fiverr thinks:

ToS clearly states it’s a no-no but at the same time, CS agents seem to recommend this to new sellers. 

So, in other words: NEVER, EVER do it - except when you DO IT judiciously lol!! Full disclosure, I have done it in the past but with select clients. This time I felt that I needed to ask about the practice before doing it again...

Thanks Frank...

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, geo316 said:

So, in other words: NEVER, EVER do it - except when you DO IT judiciously lol!! Full disclosure, I have done it in the past but with select clients. This time I felt that I needed to ask about the practice before doing it again...

Thanks Frank...

To be honest I did it just the one time, on just two clients that had asked me about that specific service. 

But overall I don’t think it is cool to reach out to past clients for additional work.

I personally don’t like it when sellers contact me again after a transaction has been completed.

It’s not a good a look.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, frank_d said:

To be honest I did it just the one time, on just two clients that had asked me about that specific service. 

But overall I don’t think it is cool to reach out to past clients for additional work.

I personally don’t like it when sellers contact me again after a transaction has been completed.

It’s not a good a look.

I haven't been in the forum for a short while (Happy to say that's because of being busy working!) but after reading your reply to my post here I then read your "Fiverr 3.1" post. I wasn't aware of Fiverr plus' coupon feature. I'm thinking that could possibly satisfy my desire to reach past clients without risking a "hand slap" from Fiverr... Hmmm... maybe...

• Like 8

• 9 months later...

There might be another question of "Is it permissible under ToS?" I feel like I've seen something mentioned along those lines, but it might have to do with contact off-platform. I'm not sure.

As to the question of etiquette, it probably varies by the culture of the client. I've had a few people do it, and it mostly comes off to me like a reminder to buy something from them. But, those sellers were more often people I'd only interacted with on one or two tasks. Probably if it was someone I bought from a lot and had a "long" relationship with, it would come across more as a relationship thing.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, proconsultn2035 said:

So I want to find out if trying to get in touch with all your previous clients over the years will be an issue. 

Contacting previous clients could get you a warning from Fiverr. In TOS, it says to respect the privacy of other Fiverr members by not contacting them unless they are sellers whom you want to hire.

Just because you have done business with someone does not mean they want to interact with you or hire you to work again. 

1 hour ago, moikchap said:

Probably if it was someone I bought from a lot and had a "long" relationship with, it would come across more as a relationship thing.

This is the only situation where I would chance contacting a buyer. However, I would not contact any long-time buyers because I want to avoid possibly irritating them. Plus, I do not want to appear to be desperate for their business. 

• Like 10
  • Up 7

I admit, I have sent Christmas/ New Years messages to repeat clients a few times in the past.
Again, repeat clients only, who has placed over 15 orders and are very likely to place an order again, and their last
order had been placed in December.  That made it easier for me to say hi to them rather than doing so months later.

• Like 10

I'd definitely not do it in case of people who didn't even buy from you, they might consider it as spam and even report it as such, it's not much work to press that button.

I'd not do it on Fiverr, anyway, no matter if they bought or not, once upon a time, the jurisdiction seems to be too fleeting and volatile for unnecessary risks. 

Offline or "own" past customers or interested people, yes, why not, however, I'd come up with a fun or standing-out way, so it wouldn't be immediately perceived as just another spam mail, nobody needs more of that.

• Like 9
  • Up 4

Hello @johnalet

Thanks for sharing this topic and all the views + answers of all the members are respected.

Coming to the topic, reaching back the buyer is not at all wrong but which style and methodologies you are using is much important yet crucial. If you are upscaling your services by pitching the past buyers and if they positively agree then you just cracked retaining buyer ratio and its extremely good for your business.

But if you make the past buyers helpless to work or collaborate with you then the situation and table gets turned it gives complete wrong impression as WHY YOU ARE REACHING THEM?

So in nutshell both the scenarios are crystal clear and wishing you luck where you reach..!

Regards | Art_Tribe

• Like 8

1 hour ago, sazzad8525 said:

Hi there, Ask for positive reviews from existing customers and run a promotion to attract new ones. Also, reach out to Fiverr support for assistance.

Why are you advising people to ask for positive reviews? This is against the FIverr TOS and is likely to get freelancers banned.

With just 1 review since you joined a year ago, you have NO experience on this platform to fall back on, and as such you shouldn't be advising people with information that you have clearly fabricated.  

I suggest going forward you read the forum more before contributing any further. 

• Like 4
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 3:15 PM, sazzad8525 said:

Hi there, Ask for positive reviews from existing customers and run a promotion to attract new ones. 

It's against fiverr ToSto ask for reviews from clients. You might get your account suspended all together. Deranking are temporary. I'm currently facing the same issue too. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, breals said:

Why are you advising people to ask for positive reviews? This is against the FIverr TOS and is likely to get freelancers banned.

With just 1 review since you joined a year ago, you have NO experience on this platform to fall back on, and as such you shouldn't be advising people with information that you have clearly fabricated.  

I suggest going forward you read the forum more before contributing any further. 

I apologize for any confusion or misinformation I may have caused in my previous response. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and for your suggestion to read the forum more before contributing. I will definitely take your advice into consideration and make sure to provide accurate and up-to-date information going forward. Your guidance has been instrumental in fostering my growth and maturity. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1