Good customers do exist

andrewcarpen756

I see quite a lot of topics about bad customers, scammers, awful sellers, overall negative stories that do seem to make the headlines in our forum…

After nearly a year working on Fiverr i wanted to share some positivity and let others know amazing customers exist and overall are the majority that i deal with as a seller.

I have been fortunate to have worked with some amazing people and businesses on Fiverr, people who are positive about your work means everything to me and being able to help support people who truly value your craft, there is no better feeling.

I have of course experienced my fair share of tough situations but overall the majority of customers are great people and hopefully this post can inspire others who maybe are having a batch of difficult customers / projects.

One thing i started to invest in was my customer support skills, I came from a corporate world and you have to adapt to a new way of working on Fiverr. Your customer support skills can often turn those “difficult customers” into amazing ones by the way you handle situations. This was an important step for me, often it is easier to blame the other person but looking inward can often help with your external situations.

Thanks everyone,
Andrew

Yes.

If you compare your gig to the people who only get unscrupulous buyers or get a lot of them, there are clear differences that help you attract professionals and repel scammers:

• You aren’t selling superfluous services

• You aren’t under charging

• Your services are geared toward goals that professional buyers have, but sketchy ones don’t

• You are very reputable

The sellers who get a lot of unscrupulous buyers tend to be missing one or more of those qualities.

Sellers have a lot more control over the quality of orders than they think.

That said sellers shouldn’t be penalized for having to deal with unscrupulous buyers but there is lots we can do to repel them.

I maybe experience 4-5 unpleasant, rude buyers a year. Out of hundreds of experiences where the interactions are either pleasant or just unmemorable.

I think since most come to the forum to vent, it can look like every other client most sellers get is a pure nightmare when it’s not the case. Communication, strict boundaries and some vetting (declining projects that appear overly sketchy and suspicious) can fix most issues that come up.

It was one of my biggest fear here when I joined. Most of the threads talk about bad buyer and terrible CS reponses. But its good to remember that we only have one side of the story. The complaining seller may not tell everything and it doesn’t mean that the bad buyers are a majority.

So far I’ve only work with amazing people. Instead of getting pressurized into working super fast, they were all understanding. Telling me to take my time, to not overwork myself, to not worry about asking for a time extension if I need too. I didn’t need it, but I appreciated the thought. At least it showed I was a human being to them and not a mindless robot.

Also…sorry if there is lot of spelling mistakes I am typing on my phone and I have sausage fingers, lol.

Yes.

If you compare your gig to the people who only get unscrupulous buyers or get a lot of them, there are clear differences that help you attract professionals and repel scammers:

• You aren’t selling superfluous services

• You aren’t under charging

• Your services are geared toward goals that professional buyers have, but sketchy ones don’t

• You are very reputable

The sellers who get a lot of unscrupulous buyers tend to be missing one or more of those qualities.

Sellers have a lot more control over the quality of orders than they think.

That said sellers shouldn’t be penalized for having to deal with unscrupulous buyers but there is lots we can do to repel them.

You are 1000% right, under charging services brings kids and boring people.

I maybe experience 4-5 unpleasant, rude buyers a year. Out of hundreds of experiences where the interactions are either pleasant or just unmemorable.

I think since most come to the forum to vent, it can look like every other client most sellers get is a pure nightmare when it’s not the case. Communication, strict boundaries and some vetting (declining projects that appear overly sketchy and suspicious) can fix most issues that come up.

Communication, strict boundaries and some vetting

Totally. 👏

When someone is going to scam you out of money there are usually big red flags.

Good post. There are many great buyers on Fiverr.

The regular forum readers will no doubt roll their eyes at me for writing the following yet again, but I’ve been selling on Fiverr for nearly 8 years and I have only ever had one truly horrific buyer and a handful (I could literally count them on one hand) of troublesome buyers. So that’s less than one headache a year, but I’ve had hundreds of sales.

As a few respected sellers have already said in this thread, the key is to stay in control - always. A lot of that has to do with how you communicate with buyers, and that starts with the wording of your profile and gigs. I do everything I can to minimise interest from scammer type buyers or those just looking for a cheap service, and that can include telling people (politely of course) that we’re not a good fit.

I’m lucky in that I had a lot of real world business experience prior to joining Fiverr, and of course I make a living from the English language. Firm but friendly is my way of communicating on Fiverr. I actually think most buyers like to be dealt with firmly… it helps them navigate the order, gives them confidence in getting a good service, and makes them understand you’re not to be messed with!

Good post. There are many great buyers on Fiverr.

The regular forum readers will no doubt roll their eyes at me for writing the following yet again, but I’ve been selling on Fiverr for nearly 8 years and I have only ever had one truly horrific buyer and a handful (I could literally count them on one hand) of troublesome buyers. So that’s less than one headache a year, but I’ve had hundreds of sales.

As a few respected sellers have already said in this thread, the key is to stay in control - always. A lot of that has to do with how you communicate with buyers, and that starts with the wording of your profile and gigs. I do everything I can to minimise interest from scammer type buyers or those just looking for a cheap service, and that can include telling people (politely of course) that we’re not a good fit.

I’m lucky in that I had a lot of real world business experience prior to joining Fiverr, and of course I make a living from the English language. Firm but friendly is my way of communicating on Fiverr. I actually think most buyers like to be dealt with firmly… it helps them navigate the order, gives them confidence in getting a good service, and makes them understand you’re not to be messed with!

A lot of that has to do with how you communicate with buyers, and that starts with the wording of your profile and gigs

Totally.

Like any predator, this type can smell fear, desperation and a lack of understanding of how to protect yourself. And when they smell it on you, you become their target prey.

If they can’t smell it on you and don’t think they can catch you, it’s not worth their while to pursue you.

We attract the energy we put out into the world and that includes bad buyers.

Totally agree that this is an excellent post.

While I have had my share of negative experiences here, I’m not about to whine about it or blame Fiverr.

I’m not in Grade 6…lol

Yes, there are some “difficult” Buyers out there.

Thankfully, they are in the minority.

Most buyers are awesome, but the few terrible ones are what make me come to the forum’s ranting pot. I think we don’t see so much about great customers because bad experiences are the ones we need forum advice to navigate.

t. I think we don’t see so much about great customers because bad experiences are the ones we need forum advice to navigate

I suspect the same. It’s like if you check a business’s reviews on Google. You see mostly bad ones because dissatisfied buyers are more likely to come complain than satisfied buyers are to come to thank a company.

Testimonials as a sample group don’t give you the whole picture.

Archived