Do you think Fiverr should have an option to recommend services we could create?

uk1000

poll  

168 members have voted

1. 1. poll

• Yes - An option for recommended services that a seller could create would be good.
    • No - I wouldn’t want this feature
    • I don’t know
    • Other.

Again, I never said anything about preventing a free market.

ALL I’m saying is that what you are proposing will do the opposite of your goal. It is faulty logic to think that means preventing a free market. I don’t argue with faulty logic.

Have a good night.

But your reason (or one of them) for not wanting the feature is because you don’t want the increased competition. Anti-competitive practices are illegal. Buyers will benefit from the wider choice and maybe from more price-competition.

Competition law is a law that promotes or seeks to maintain market competition by regulating anti-competitive conduct by companies

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But your reason (or one of them) for not wanting the feature is because you don’t want the increased competition. Anti-competitive practices are illegal. Buyers will benefit from the wider choice and maybe from more price-competition.

Competition law is a law that promotes or seeks to maintain market competition by regulating anti-competitive conduct by companies

You do realize people can already find this information on the site, no? If you just browse the site you can find a plethora of services. Even Fiverr on its homepage shows gigs like yours and recommendations. If you browse a few profiles you can see ideas.

Basically the information is already there, it just needs a little work from your side to find it. So, we don’t really need Fiverr to hold our hand even more, you already have the tools available, just use them.

The market is already free, as I said yesterday, all you have to do is to put in the work and study the website yourself, see what’s missing. That’s the best way to be a good entrepreneur, to put in the work and study everything yourself. Let’s encourage people to work hard for their success, not to expect a feature to tell them what to do. I mean that’s my opinion, and based on real life, it seems to be the right thing to do.

No… For the third time, the reason I don’t want this feature is because it WON’T HELP US. It will hinder us.

“Anti-competitive practices are illegal.” This is what I mean by faulty logic. Just because I don’t want this feature, that doesn’t mean I’m in favor of practices that prevent competition and disable a free market. And it doesn’t mean Fiverr is either. Your logic says that unless Fiverr sets up this feature you want, they are preventing a free market. No they aren’t.

You don’t need to educate me on competition law, thank you.

But your reason (or one of them) for not wanting the feature is because you don’t want the increased competition

No… For the third time, the reason I don’t want this feature is because it WON’T HELP US. It will hinder us.

I said that because you said this:

This would further increase competition, which is counter-productive to helping sellers

I don’t want thousands of other people selling what I sell, no

Huge competition means less capacity for discovery. The point of your suggestion is to give people a leg up. Saturating the market does the opposite

You do realize people can already find this information on the site, no? If you just browse the site you can find a plethora of services. Even Fiverr on its homepage shows gigs like yours and recommendations. If you browse a few profiles you can see ideas.

Basically the information is already there, it just needs a little work from your side to find it. So, we don’t really need Fiverr to hold our hand even more, you already have the tools available, just use them.

The market is already free, as I said yesterday, all you have to do is to put in the work and study the website yourself, see what’s missing. That’s the best way to be a good entrepreneur, to put in the work and study everything yourself. Let’s encourage people to work hard for their success, not to expect a feature to tell them what to do. I mean that’s my opinion, and based on real life, it seems to be the right thing to do.

You do realize people can already find this information on the site, no?

Yes (though probably not as accurately or specific to the user) in a few posts above I wrote:

It’s not going to tell them anything they couldn’t find in other ways, maybe with a few more clicks/research. They already recommend skills to sellers and no one is saying that’s a problem.

So I don’t see why it’s such a problem for some if people if it already can be found in other ways, it will just present it more directly with less clicks and probably be more accurate for the seller ie. by taking

into account their skills, maybe their existing/previous gigs and their performance and categories/subcategories, the system/software etc. they have (if they specify).

But this would be better than existing ways because it could be made more accurate or filter better based on a seller’s skills or their whole system (what they have etc.), as well as because it would be more accessible.

You do realize people can already find this information on the site, no?

Yes (though probably not as accurately or specific to the user) in a few posts above I wrote:

It’s not going to tell them anything they couldn’t find in other ways, maybe with a few more clicks/research. They already recommend skills to sellers and no one is saying that’s a problem.

So I don’t see why it’s such a problem for some if people if it already can be found in other ways, it will just present it more directly with less clicks and probably be more accurate for the seller ie. by taking

into account their skills, maybe their existing/previous gigs and their performance and categories/subcategories, the system/software etc. they have (if they specify).

But this would be better than existing ways because it could be made more accurate or filter better based on a seller’s skills or their whole system (what they have etc.), as well as because it would be more accessible.

So I don’t see why it’s such a problem for some if people if it already can be found in other ways

We need features that are new and actually required. Such as being able to stop people from buying gig multiples. That’s a real issue that ends up with refunds if a person works alone. I know at least a dozen people here that dealt with this issue myself, and I am sure many more are affected.

The idea is… let’s encourage Fiverr to do something we need, not something that’s already there and you just need a few clicks to do. There are already tools and systems in place for what you are asking, but there’s no way for people to stop gig multiples from being ordered (at the same deadline) and some buyers are abusing this system because of that. Which is a problem.

But your reason (or one of them) for not wanting the feature is because you don’t want the increased competition

I said that because you said this:

This would further increase competition, which is counter-productive to helping sellers

I don’t want thousands of other people selling what I sell, no

Huge competition means less capacity for discovery. The point of your suggestion is to give people a leg up. Saturating the market does the opposite

"I said that because you said this:

This would further increase competition, which is counter-productive to helping sellers"

I said that to explain why your suggestion was counter-productive to your goal. It doesn’t mean I oppose or want to undermine the free market…

So I don’t see why it’s such a problem for some if people if it already can be found in other ways

We need features that are new and actually required. Such as being able to stop people from buying gig multiples. That’s a real issue that ends up with refunds if a person works alone. I know at least a dozen people here that dealt with this issue myself, and I am sure many more are affected.

The idea is… let’s encourage Fiverr to do something we need, not something that’s already there and you just need a few clicks to do. There are already tools and systems in place for what you are asking, but there’s no way for people to stop gig multiples from being ordered (at the same deadline) and some buyers are abusing this system because of that. Which is a problem.

there’s no way for people to stop gig multiples from being ordered

Then the best thing is probably to create a new thread with the suggestion in the “Fiverr site suggestions” for your idea, maybe with a poll. You don’t need to try to prevent other’s ideas just so they’ll do your idea instead. People could then vote and comment on your suggestion and hopefully Fiverr will see the thread and implement it.

My idea would be beneficial for sellers who wanted it, even if info could be researched in other ways. While it may just take a few more clicks/research, it might also take a lot more time to do for specific info for a seller’s skills/whole system.

The category selection and filter options in the Fiverr search enables buyers to find stuff that can be found in other ways by just clicking through each page, but those options make finding stuff more efficient and so is beneficial for buyers, just like this recommendation would be more efficient and beneficial for sellers.

there’s no way for people to stop gig multiples from being ordered

Then the best thing is probably to create a new thread with the suggestion in the “Fiverr site suggestions” for your idea, maybe with a poll. You don’t need to try to prevent other’s ideas just so they’ll do your idea instead. People could then vote and comment on your suggestion and hopefully Fiverr will see the thread and implement it.

My idea would be beneficial for sellers who wanted it, even if info could be researched in other ways. While it may just take a few more clicks/research, it might also take a lot more time to do for specific info for a seller’s skills/whole system.

The category selection and filter options in the Fiverr search enables buyers to find stuff that can be found in other ways by just clicking through each page, but those options make finding stuff more efficient and so is beneficial for buyers, just like this recommendation would be more efficient and beneficial for sellers.

I will do that. I just believe there are more important ideas to get out there and features that we actually need. As I said, your feature involves the use of tools that are already out there. And it will also encourage people to copy other gigs even more. I can’t tell you how many gigs I reported because they copy-pasted my gig without any effort. A feature like this will further encourage people to steal gig descriptions and even images, so that’s why I don’t agree with it.

I will do that. I just believe there are more important ideas to get out there and features that we actually need. As I said, your feature involves the use of tools that are already out there. And it will also encourage people to copy other gigs even more. I can’t tell you how many gigs I reported because they copy-pasted my gig without any effort. A feature like this will further encourage people to steal gig descriptions and even images, so that’s why I don’t agree with it.

And it will also encourage people to copy other gigs even more

I’ve put “general” or “very general” (or something similar) in relation to services it would show quite a few times in the thread. It won’t be showing anyone’s gig title (or at least it shouldn’t unless they’ve written something really general?). It could just say “Article Writing” or “Explainer video creation” or “whiteboard video creation” or whatever very general service names they could come up with.

But the important thing is it wouldn’t be copying anyone’s gig title. It would be a bit like some sites etc. that list jobs or future jobs that are going to be in demand. They don’t list the title of a particular person’s gig. They list job titles (but this could be more specific than maybe some of those) - ie. ones that cover probably thousands of people for each job title.

And it will also encourage people to copy other gigs even more

I’ve put “general” or “very general” (or something similar) in relation to services it would show quite a few times in the thread. It won’t be showing anyone’s gig title (or at least it shouldn’t unless they’ve written something really general?). It could just say “Article Writing” or “Explainer video creation” or “whiteboard video creation” or whatever very general service names they could come up with.

But the important thing is it wouldn’t be copying anyone’s gig title. It would be a bit like some sites etc. that list jobs or future jobs that are going to be in demand. They don’t list the title of a particular person’s gig. They list job titles (but this could be more specific than maybe some of those) - ie. ones that cover probably thousands of people for each job title.

OP you’ve taken 42 tests and passed them and did well on them. So it sounds like you already have a variety of skills you could market. You could take ten minutes to search for gigs in those categories yourself and see how well they are selling on fiverr.

Or take an hour researching gigs that showcase some of your own skills and make a study of how well they sell, and various niches related to those skills. It’s not hard at all to see what’s in demand and selling well if you take the initiative to do your own research.

OP you’ve taken 42 tests and passed them and did well on them. So it sounds like you already have a variety of skills you could market. You could take ten minutes to search for gigs in those categories yourself and see how well they are selling on fiverr.

Or take an hour researching gigs that showcase some of your own skills and make a study of how well they sell, and various niches related to those skills. It’s not hard at all to see what’s in demand and selling well if you take the initiative to do your own research.

That could help, but I think it might take days or a long time to properly determine the best services for me or maybe lots of sellers. And things like the best that a seller could be doing could change over time. So I’ll do research but it might take a long time and something like this suggestion or something similar (which could do that more efficiently) could still be beneficial.

That could help, but I think it might take days or a long time to properly determine the best services for me or maybe lots of sellers. And things like the best that a seller could be doing could change over time. So I’ll do research but it might take a long time and something like this suggestion or something similar (which could do that more efficiently) could still be beneficial.

That could help, but I think it might take days or a long time to properly determine the best services for me or maybe lots of sellers.

If you have taken 42 40-minute skills tests, that is 28-hours (3.5 work days) which you have already wasted. I say that as it doesn’t seem that you are turning round many orders. At least doing 3-days of research will potentially result in some kind of return on investment.

And things like the best that a seller could be doing could change over time.

Of course, it does. You have to simply adapt. A few years ago, whiteboard videos were all the rage. Now consumers want more live action geared video ads and explainers. In a few years, trends might see video replaced with VR. This is why you need to research the market you are targeting and not what other sellers are selling.

In the latter case, you are more likely going to end up creating gigs as a trend is peetering out.

That could help, but I think it might take days or a long time to properly determine the best services for me or maybe lots of sellers.

If you have taken 42 40-minute skills tests, that is 28-hours (3.5 work days) which you have already wasted. I say that as it doesn’t seem that you are turning round many orders. At least doing 3-days of research will potentially result in some kind of return on investment.

And things like the best that a seller could be doing could change over time.

Of course, it does. You have to simply adapt. A few years ago, whiteboard videos were all the rage. Now consumers want more live action geared video ads and explainers. In a few years, trends might see video replaced with VR. This is why you need to research the market you are targeting and not what other sellers are selling.

In the latter case, you are more likely going to end up creating gigs as a trend is peetering out.

40-minute skills tests

The tests allow up to 40 minutes each (or at least the majority of them do if not all). That doesn’t mean someone has to take 40 minutes on each. Some can be done a lot faster. But they’re not wasted if some of them help buyers or help me (eg. to see which skills I’m good enough at and which I’m not), which can then help me in determining services I could create.

40-minute skills tests

The tests allow up to 40 minutes each (or at least the majority of them do if not all). That doesn’t mean someone has to take 40 minutes on each. Some can be done a lot faster. But they’re not wasted if some of them help buyers or help me (eg. to see which skills I’m good enough at and which I’m not), which can then help me in determining services I could create.

But they’re not wasted if some of them help buyers or help me (eg. to see which skills I’m good enough at and which I’m not).

I would actually argue that in your case, they are wasted. I look at your profile and it is not clear what you do. Your skills say you are a copywriter, virtual assistant, software engineer, fiction writer, game programmer, etc. There is no umbrella of expertise which tells anyone what you actually do. It just looks like you have thrown a lot of things at a wall to see what sticks.

The best way to think of it is as a real-world job interview. If you put all your skills on your CV, you are not going to get past the initial screening process. It simply doesn’t look natural. An employer would much prefer to see you have a core set of skills specific to what you do which all complement each other. - And if buyers care about skills tests scores, that’s how they will be thinking too.

40-minute skills tests

Why not do what you enjoy the most? You can be enthusiastic about some things and not about others. If you have enthusiasm and enjoyment for a particular skill you are more likely to be good at that and put in effort. That has a big effect on your success.

And even if fiverr did give you the information you need I really don’t see you still being able to implement it due to what I mentioned before about there being a mental block, or fear of failure. You mentioned before fear of getting a one star review on a new gig. That could still happen with any gig even if fiverr suggested to you what to make a gig for.

But they’re not wasted if some of them help buyers or help me (eg. to see which skills I’m good enough at and which I’m not).

I would actually argue that in your case, they are wasted. I look at your profile and it is not clear what you do. Your skills say you are a copywriter, virtual assistant, software engineer, fiction writer, game programmer, etc. There is no umbrella of expertise which tells anyone what you actually do. It just looks like you have thrown a lot of things at a wall to see what sticks.

The best way to think of it is as a real-world job interview. If you put all your skills on your CV, you are not going to get past the initial screening process. It simply doesn’t look natural. An employer would much prefer to see you have a core set of skills specific to what you do which all complement each other. - And if buyers care about skills tests scores, that’s how they will be thinking too.

When I can properly make it not show the skill tests results I don’t want it to show I’ll do that. I can look on a logged out browser and see about every test I’ve passed even the ones I’ve told it not to show.

But apart from that (assuming one day Fiverr fixes that bug), the tests taken aren’t wasted if they help me determine the services I’d be best at/the ones that would be the best for me.

Why not do what you enjoy the most?

Because it’s more complex. It’s what enough buyers want too, It’s what’s will actually make me be able to earn a living from/profit enough from. I’m now not saying the recommendation should give the profitability bit but just a list of services (not that specific) a seller could do (based on the data it has) that they could choose from or not (or pick something somehow related to one or more of the suggestions).

When I can properly make it not show the skill tests results I don’t want it to show I’ll do that. I can look on a logged out browser and see about every test I’ve passed even the ones I’ve told it not to show.

But apart from that (assuming one day Fiverr fixes that bug), the tests taken aren’t wasted if they help me determine the services I’d be best at/the ones that would be the best for me.

Because it’s more complex. It’s what enough buyers want too, It’s what’s will actually make me be able to earn a living from/profit enough from. I’m now not saying the recommendation should give the profitability bit but just a list of services (not that specific) a seller could do (based on the data it has) that they could choose from or not (or pick something somehow related to one or more of the suggestions).

the tests taken aren’t wasted if they help me determine the services I’d be best at/the ones that would be the best for me.

Can’t you look at the tests with the best scores and tell that those would be the ones to choose? Or you still feel you need the site to do that for you? (Assuming that’s the proper way to choose what kind of gigs to make, by looking at those test scores, which is not true.)

Or why not say to yourself something like "I’m good at writing and I enjoy it. I will look around the site and do some searches on different types of writing gigs until I find a niche that is selling well and make a gig for that and see what happens. "

the tests taken aren’t wasted if they help me determine the services I’d be best at/the ones that would be the best for me.

Can’t you look at the tests with the best scores and tell that those would be the ones to choose? Or you still feel you need the site to do that for you? (Assuming that’s the proper way to choose what kind of gigs to make, by looking at those test scores, which is not true.)

Or why not say to yourself something like "I’m good at writing and I enjoy it. I will look around the site and do some searches on different types of writing gigs until I find a niche that is selling well and make a gig for that and see what happens. "

I could or the recommendation system could. But it’s it’s more complex as different tests will be at different difficulty levels. Some lower scores might be okay if a seller is in the top x%. But it’s using those skills to create a service. The skill tests results don’t necessarily say what service(s) would be best. But they could help with the recommendations. Also the existing skills tests don’t tell everything. There can be a lack of tests for a lot of things and the tests themselves don’t really test all skills properly. But they could at least be used as one data source for the recommended services.

I think you have completely misinterpreted what the skills tests are for. They are not intended to help sellers identify what they are good at. They exist solely for sellers to prove that they are already competent in a skill related to what they offer. This helps build trust among buyers.

If you have taken all these tests thinking that they are there to help you identify what you are good at, I’m afraid you’ve misunderstood them completely.

Because that’s all it is, a suggestion.

Call me sensitive to these things, but at first, it’s “just a suggestion” and then it’s “we’re sorry but we are not looking for more designers at the moment” (paraphrasing, my friend got this message while trying to register an account on that other site we don’t talk about). Or “you won’t be considered for the project until you pass X test and verify Y thing” (same site fiverr tends to take its worst ideas from).

Again, I might be overly sensitive but I don’t want the platform setting directions for me or my business even in the simplest of terms.

Yes … The beauty of Fiverr (one of the beauties of Fiverr, actually, but that sounds weird 😉 ) is that you’re basically free to offer anything you can imagine (within the limitations of the ToS, of course).

(in reply to Lena’s post)

(in reply to the thread generally)

If one or a few sellers do actually come up with a new idea that sells well but which has only limited demand, I don’t think Fiverr should suggest that idea to sellers who didn’t come up with that idea themselves.

A feature that basically takes the work and ingenuity some put into their gig creation and suggests it to others who did not want to spend the time or did not want to “risk” putting up a gig that may or may not sell well - IIRC from some posts above that was one of the ideas behind this suggested option, giving sellers who don’t want to waste time on figuring out new gig ideas or don’t want to “risk” setting up “unproven” gigs, “data-proven” gig ideas - seems pretty unhinged.

Without people who do spend the time figuring out new gig ideas and taking the “risk” of trying them out, there would be no data for recommended services to create, and yet their work and ideas put into those gig creations shall be distributed to sellers who just passively wait for good ideas to be fed and are looking not for “what am I passionate about, can I create that might offer value to customers?” but for “what seems to generate revenue?”, just so, so that they can replicate the until then unique gig idea, without even doing as much as trawling their categorie/s for new trends, ideas, and such, and get a share of the perhaps only limited customers for that new gig idea?

Competition is fine, sure, we all don’t want to be the only supplier here, we can’t do all the orders in our niche and serve all the customers needing a service like ours, and the platform would die if there was just a handful of providers per niche, we all know that, but I don’t think Fiverr should recommend others’ ingenious ideas (after all, they must be ingenious, if those other people didn’t get them themselves even though being skilled in their niche, proven by skill tests) to people who are just looking for “the most profitable gig” without them “having any stake in it” or having put any effort in at the push of a button. There are already too many sellers who always only ever push buttons in many categories as it is.

Let new unique gig ideas belong to those who thought of them, until others catch up on them by at least showing a bit of initiative. After all, doesn’t Fiverr often speak about unique ideas, it would not really be nice to want people to use their unique ideas on the platform (vs perhaps for their own channels) and once they seem to look successful funnel them to sellers who with zero effort or “risk” on their own part, copy them then.

The traditional ways of copying others’ ideas should suffice, sellers who want to be successful should do their research, think, try out, … not rely on other sellers to do the research, thinking and trying out for them.

Come on, there is no “risk” in creating a new service on Fiverr, other than spending some time on thinking about a new idea and setting up the gig and simply trying it out, and if someone doesn’t want to spend that time themself, why should they be given the data of those who did. It’s just my personal view, of course, but if this was my platform, I’d want providers who only offer things in niches they really are skilled for and are emotionally and otherwise invested in enough to storm their brain and come up with ideas themselves and try them out, or at least trawl their categories for ideas and successful gigs which they think they could also do well and/or adapt.

I would certainly not want to water down the quality that buyers might get when they buy some yet less offered thing. I believe that people who come up with something unique and new on their own, usually will be qualified to do it, while some of the people who’d copy those gig ideas if Fiverr sent them the “yo! this here got x sales last month/y revenue!” data probably would be qualified too, but others won’t.

Buyer satisfaction is pretty much on top of everything, not giving sellers who don’t have ideas, ideas, and the efforts need to be directed towards buyer satisfaction, I don’t see this option being helpful for that. Sellers with ideas, initiative, the guts to try out things, the kind of sellers buyers and a platform wants, will sooner or later pick up on new gig ideas if they have the potential to sell well.

I yet need to see an argument for this suggestion that would convince me to change my mind but who knows, it’s a much more interesting read than all the “what is the most profitable gig” threads in any case.

Maybe you need someone to chat with about what type of gigs to make. Is it that you are feeling confused or overwhelmed by this decision? If so someone who is good at business coaching or even psychology might be able to help get you over this hump.

I’m interested in identifying the problem and most sellers are able to make a gig they are good at or interested in without having the site tell them what to do. So there is something else going on here. And the sooner you identify that the sooner this quandary will be solved.

I’ve known people who took four hours to leave the house to go out to a club at night, due to being locked on their mirror afraid their hair isn’t perfect enough. It was a real problem. This to me sounds similar.

Maybe you need someone to chat with about what type of gigs to make. Is it that you are feeling confused or overwhelmed by this decision? If so someone who is good at business coaching or even psychology might be able to help get you over this hump.

I’m interested in identifying the problem and most sellers are able to make a gig they are good at or interested in without having the site tell them what to do. So there is something else going on here. And the sooner you identify that the sooner this quandary will be solved.

I’ve known people who took four hours to leave the house to go out to a club at night, due to being locked on their mirror afraid their hair isn’t perfect enough. It was a real problem. This to me sounds similar.

Maybe you need someone to chat with about what type of gigs to make.

I think this is an excellent idea.

Now I’m starting to think that the OPs problem comes down to the following:

• They have taken skills tests thinking that these are designed to help them identify what they are good at.
  • Now they believe they are good at everything
  • As soon as the idea of creating a gig comes up, they feel anxiety because really they are not sure if they can do what they want to offer.
  • The OP now wants a new feature which takes away this anxiety by saying “if you create this gig, it will be a success.”

At least, that’s how I’m now interpreting the situation. If I’m right, coaching would be a good idea and should start with a honest discovery process where the OP can discover what their real marketable core skills are.

Yes … The beauty of Fiverr (one of the beauties of Fiverr, actually, but that sounds weird 😉 ) is that you’re basically free to offer anything you can imagine (within the limitations of the ToS, of course).

(in reply to Lena’s post)

(in reply to the thread generally)

If one or a few sellers do actually come up with a new idea that sells well but which has only limited demand, I don’t think Fiverr should suggest that idea to sellers who didn’t come up with that idea themselves.

A feature that basically takes the work and ingenuity some put into their gig creation and suggests it to others who did not want to spend the time or did not want to “risk” putting up a gig that may or may not sell well - IIRC from some posts above that was one of the ideas behind this suggested option, giving sellers who don’t want to waste time on figuring out new gig ideas or don’t want to “risk” setting up “unproven” gigs, “data-proven” gig ideas - seems pretty unhinged.

Without people who do spend the time figuring out new gig ideas and taking the “risk” of trying them out, there would be no data for recommended services to create, and yet their work and ideas put into those gig creations shall be distributed to sellers who just passively wait for good ideas to be fed and are looking not for “what am I passionate about, can I create that might offer value to customers?” but for “what seems to generate revenue?”, just so, so that they can replicate the until then unique gig idea, without even doing as much as trawling their categorie/s for new trends, ideas, and such, and get a share of the perhaps only limited customers for that new gig idea?

Competition is fine, sure, we all don’t want to be the only supplier here, we can’t do all the orders in our niche and serve all the customers needing a service like ours, and the platform would die if there was just a handful of providers per niche, we all know that, but I don’t think Fiverr should recommend others’ ingenious ideas (after all, they must be ingenious, if those other people didn’t get them themselves even though being skilled in their niche, proven by skill tests) to people who are just looking for “the most profitable gig” without them “having any stake in it” or having put any effort in at the push of a button. There are already too many sellers who always only ever push buttons in many categories as it is.

Let new unique gig ideas belong to those who thought of them, until others catch up on them by at least showing a bit of initiative. After all, doesn’t Fiverr often speak about unique ideas, it would not really be nice to want people to use their unique ideas on the platform (vs perhaps for their own channels) and once they seem to look successful funnel them to sellers who with zero effort or “risk” on their own part, copy them then.

The traditional ways of copying others’ ideas should suffice, sellers who want to be successful should do their research, think, try out, … not rely on other sellers to do the research, thinking and trying out for them.

Come on, there is no “risk” in creating a new service on Fiverr, other than spending some time on thinking about a new idea and setting up the gig and simply trying it out, and if someone doesn’t want to spend that time themself, why should they be given the data of those who did. It’s just my personal view, of course, but if this was my platform, I’d want providers who only offer things in niches they really are skilled for and are emotionally and otherwise invested in enough to storm their brain and come up with ideas themselves and try them out, or at least trawl their categories for ideas and successful gigs which they think they could also do well and/or adapt.

I would certainly not want to water down the quality that buyers might get when they buy some yet less offered thing. I believe that people who come up with something unique and new on their own, usually will be qualified to do it, while some of the people who’d copy those gig ideas if Fiverr sent them the “yo! this here got x sales last month/y revenue!” data probably would be qualified too, but others won’t.

Buyer satisfaction is pretty much on top of everything, not giving sellers who don’t have ideas, ideas, and the efforts need to be directed towards buyer satisfaction, I don’t see this option being helpful for that. Sellers with ideas, initiative, the guts to try out things, the kind of sellers buyers and a platform wants, will sooner or later pick up on new gig ideas if they have the potential to sell well.

I yet need to see an argument for this suggestion that would convince me to change my mind but who knows, it’s a much more interesting read than all the “what is the most profitable gig” threads in any case.

Let new unique gig ideas belong to those who thought of them,

I’ve said “general” services quite a lot of times in this thread. Once more, I’m not asking for it to copy specific gigs or specific gig descriptions. General services. Yes they could put a minimum figure for the number of people with gigs for those services (like “logo design” etc) before they recommend that service name to others (whether that’s 100 or whatever). Nobody owns the idea for “logo design” or “article writing”. They’re general enough that anyone can create gigs in.

Maybe you need someone to chat with about what type of gigs to make.

I think this is an excellent idea.

Now I’m starting to think that the OPs problem comes down to the following:

• They have taken skills tests thinking that these are designed to help them identify what they are good at.
  • Now they believe they are good at everything
  • As soon as the idea of creating a gig comes up, they feel anxiety because really they are not sure if they can do what they want to offer.
  • The OP now wants a new feature which takes away this anxiety by saying “if you create this gig, it will be a success.”

At least, that’s how I’m now interpreting the situation. If I’m right, coaching would be a good idea and should start with a honest discovery process where the OP can discover what their real marketable core skills are.

I could be wrong but I’m feeling that this is a problem that might come up in many ways for the OP, in various ways and not just with choosing what kind of gig to make. It’s kind of out there, removed from the type of difficulties most freelancers have.

I know an elderly doctor who has not purchased even one new item of clothing in over thirty years, due to being afraid of not choosing correctly. He still wears his bell bottom pants from the 1970s.

Over the years he has sought out all kinds of advice and help about his wardrobe but it was never enough. He still couldn’t choose what clothing to buy.

Archived