Do you think Fiverr should have an option to recommend services we could create?

uk1000

poll  

168 members have voted

1. 1. poll

• Yes - An option for recommended services that a seller could create would be good.
    • No - I wouldn’t want this feature
    • I don’t know
    • Other.

Working “smart”

Needing an app to recommend what services you should create is not smart, any more than having a smartphone makes you a Facebook savant.

Not creating and experimenting with gigs and doing your own research before such an app is created is also certainly not smart. You are also suggesting that doing a ton of manual work is silly when it could be done by an automated system because that system could do the job more accurately. That’s not smart, that’s wishful thinking sci-fi.

The ton of manual work you refer to helps you continually stumble upon new ideas and develop new talents and market insights. Not doing this puts you behind your competition and results in stagnating innovation.

The fact that you think this system would work shows that you don’t really know how selling works. The speeding up work and profits you keep mentioning would not be possible. You are overlooking the elephant in the room which is the fact that selling and marketing are skills themselves. You learn how to sell when you put in that ton of dumb manual work. Sales also depend on how sellers market gigs and learn how to build a rapport with your clients.

You choosing not to put in that effort is not smart and no matter how smart an AI, it cannot help anyone who lacks the motivation to help themselves.

As or the basic usefulness of skills tests which you seem to place great emphasis on, here’s what Fiverr’s biggest competitor has to say about the matter:

A few months ago we ran a test to evaluate the impact of removing skill tests, announced here. As a result of the data from the test, we will be removing skill tests from the platform on July 16th.

Our research found that clients don’t find skill tests important when making a hiring decision. They found profile introductions, portfolios, and job feedback to better showcase a freelancer’s skills and experience.

In the Community, many of you have pointed out that skill test scores can easily be manipulated by cheating, as many skill test answers can be found online. Additionally, we frequently hear that these skill tests – especially technical ones – quickly become outdated or irrelevant. This decreases the value and accuracy of skill test results to fairly reflect a freelancer’s proficiency in that skill.

Instead of continuing to provide development resources towards skill tests and asking freelancers to invest time on tests that don’t provide much additional value, we will be removing them altogether. This means starting July 16th freelancers will no longer be able to take skill tests, and prior skill test results will be removed from profiles.

So basically, your super-smart system would involve Fiverr pouring money into an avenue which as already been identified as sales incentive dead end by others. - One might argue that this wouldn’t be that smart.

If something is available or could be available that can speed up work/profits, using it is working smarter.

This is true. However, you are overlooking the best smart tool you can ever hope to own. Namely, this thing:

So basically, your super-smart system would involve Fiverr pouring money into an avenue which as already been identified as sales incentive dead end by others. - One might argue that this wouldn’t be that smart.

They already pay to use the skills test feature provided by a 3rd party. This would just be using making use of something they’re already using (it is in beta and they may decide not to use it in future but it’s still a current feature). Yes I know some of the tests are outdated and some could be better and I think they should add more tests for different things. The tests themselves could also be in a different format. But Fiverr themselves currently think they’re worthwhile. Yes some might decide to cheat but that would just mean for this the recommendations probably wouldn’t be optimum so the sellers who do wouldn’t be helping themselves by doing so.

The skills tests results also wouldn’t have to be the only data source for recommendations, like I said.

This is true. However, you are overlooking the best smart tool you can ever hope to own. Namely, this thing:

I’m not overlooking it. I’ve said that the system would only help and that the sellers would make the decisions. It wouldn’t do the work for them. But that said, it isn’t as efficient at data processing as existing computers.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And stop flagging posts that shouldn’t be flagged. All I’m doing is trying to help you. It’s time to look at the reasons for some of the issues you have about trying to make new gigs. Lots of very successful fiverr sellers didn’t need to be told what type of gigs to make.

Please discuss constructively the topic of the thread which is about the suggested feature. eg. you can discuss why it may or may not be a good feature or ways that could make the feature better if you think it wouldn’t work well or be a good idea as described. There’s no need to insult or get personal about any of the 37% of voters who have voted for it. This is about discussing the suggested recommendation feature not the voters.

This has been a long conversation so I’ll be honest and state that I didn’t read all of it. However I will reply the OP’s idea. Your idea can be great if it was implemented correctly and can be horrible if done incorrectly. If Fiverr was to suggest ideas for gigs in need, it should recommend stuff that does not currently exist in the market, where the demand is high and the supply is low. Once the demand and supply reach a specific level, the recommendation for a specific gig should stop. Another factor that should help are the skills tests, sellers should have a certain level of understanding in what they do before before selling. However this would over complicate the process for the sellers. Imagine you’re great at Photoshop because you know what the tools do out of experience, however you get a 40 minute test asking you about specifics that you never had to use in your many years of work. The system now isn’t broken (at-least from the gig making perspective), therefore why try to fix something that doesn’t have a problem.
There are many bigger issues that exist in Fiverr, especially the lack of protection for sellers. Another issue the lack of possibilities to promote your work in a more effective way. The buyer requests system is a good start but there should a better way to get to customers.

How did so many sellers manage to think for themselves what kind of gigs to make? Why would a tool like this be needed for someone who wants to be a freelancer? The entire premise of freelancing is you are able to think and decide for yourself what to sell.

If taking skills tests brought in sales, you should be swamped! Congratulations OP on having the interest in taking all of those.
43 skills tests taken must be a record.

I’m mostly confused why would you give a website the power to determine what you’re good for (I know the word that is used is “suggest” but that’s just a softer word for it). Especially based on something as imperfect as online tests or questionnaires.

My friend and former colleague “suggested” me potential clients recently. After knowing me both as a person and as a professional for 7 years he decided I’d be a good fit for something that was an amalgamation of everything I resent in a working environment. And that’s someone who’d I consider qualified to suggest me stuff.

I voted “no”, I forgot to mention that.

You could perhaps make an argument that it’d be useful to steer people away from certain choices (like we try to discourage some new sellers from selling things they have neither skill nor ethical right to charge money for while being completely oblivious about it) while pushing them toward things they’d be more qualified to do. But ultimately, the ways to measure skills are imperfect and I don’t think it’s the platform’s job to help define anyone’s qualifications.

I get 2-3 messages monthly of “hi, I’m new, tell me what to do here to make money” so I can’t argue that there is a demand for some “tips and tricks” tool. I just don’t think that a freelance platform can (or should) make professional decisions for you or influence them.

I’m mostly confused why would you give a website the power to determine what you’re good for (I know the word that is used is “suggest” but that’s just a softer word for it). Especially based on something as imperfect as online tests or questionnaires.

My friend and former colleague “suggested” me potential clients recently. After knowing me both as a person and as a professional for 7 years he decided I’d be a good fit for something that was an amalgamation of everything I resent in a working environment. And that’s someone who’d I consider qualified to suggest me stuff.

I voted “no”, I forgot to mention that.

You could perhaps make an argument that it’d be useful to steer people away from certain choices (like we try to discourage some new sellers from selling things they have neither skill nor ethical right to charge money for while being completely oblivious about it) while pushing them toward things they’d be more qualified to do. But ultimately, the ways to measure skills are imperfect and I don’t think it’s the platform’s job to help define anyone’s qualifications.

I get 2-3 messages monthly of “hi, I’m new, tell me what to do here to make money” so I can’t argue that there is a demand for some “tips and tricks” tool. I just don’t think that a freelance platform can (or should) make professional decisions for you or influence them.

You could perhaps make an argument that it’d be useful to steer people away from certain choices (like we try to discourage some new sellers from selling things they have neither skill nor ethical right to charge money for while being completely oblivious about it) while pushing them toward things they’d be more qualified to do.

If it does something like that, at least points them in the right general direction of services they might be able to do well while filtering out/putting much lower on the list those that they are unlikely to, at least it’s helped. It’s not only related to their skills but the everything the seller has including software, costs, computer system, connection etc. that could affect it that could be used in the algorithm/filter (if the seller wanted to specify things like that to make it recommend/filter better).

…give a website the power to determine what you’re good for (I know the word that is used is “suggest” but that’s just a softer word for it). Especially based on something as imperfect as online tests or questionnaires.

Because that’s all it is, a suggestion. Many websites have recommendation systems. Even if it’s just in the right very general direction it could be helpful. The seller could decide which of the recommendations were right for them and if none were it might still help them decide on ones that were right for them that weren’t recommended (but were maybe related).

You could perhaps make an argument that it’d be useful to steer people away from certain choices (like we try to discourage some new sellers from selling things they have neither skill nor ethical right to charge money for while being completely oblivious about it) while pushing them toward things they’d be more qualified to do.

If it does something like that, at least points them in the right general direction of services they might be able to do well while filtering out/putting much lower on the list those that they are unlikely to, at least it’s helped. It’s not only related to their skills but the everything the seller has including software, costs, computer system, connection etc. that could affect it that could be used in the algorithm/filter (if the seller wanted to specify things like that to make it recommend/filter better).

…give a website the power to determine what you’re good for (I know the word that is used is “suggest” but that’s just a softer word for it). Especially based on something as imperfect as online tests or questionnaires.

Because that’s all it is, a suggestion. Many websites have recommendation systems. Even if it’s just in the right very general direction it could be helpful. The seller could decide which of the recommendations were right for them and if none were it might still help them decide on ones that were right for them that weren’t recommended (but were maybe related).

Such a system might point me in the direction of offering writing services, which I’m qualified for and would be good at but have zero interest in doing professionally.

I’ve also taken a lot of Photoshop classes in a real college classroom and can do that well. But I would hate doing that professionally. I’ve been good at doing SEO also but wouldn’t want to do that professionally. Along with a few other things which while I COULD do it here and do well at it, would hate doing them.

I know what I can and can’t do well already, and also know what I WANT to do professionally, which is exactly what I’m doing now. I doubt that fiverr would know what I love doing and want to do and have a calling for, if what they have to go on is the classes and tests I’ve taken on fiverr.

Doing professionally what you love is something only you can decide for yourself. It’s one reason I spend so much time on this site and put so much into this.

Because that’s all it is, a suggestion.

Call me sensitive to these things, but at first, it’s “just a suggestion” and then it’s “we’re sorry but we are not looking for more designers at the moment” (paraphrasing, my friend got this message while trying to register an account on that other site we don’t talk about). Or “you won’t be considered for the project until you pass X test and verify Y thing” (same site fiverr tends to take its worst ideas from).

Again, I might be overly sensitive but I don’t want the platform setting directions for me or my business even in the simplest of terms.

Such a system might point me in the direction of offering writing services, which I’m qualified for and would be good at but have zero interest in doing professionally.

I’ve also taken a lot of Photoshop classes in a real college classroom and can do that well. But I would hate doing that professionally. I’ve been good at doing SEO also but wouldn’t want to do that professionally. Along with a few other things which while I COULD do it here and do well at it, would hate doing them.

I know what I can and can’t do well already, and also know what I WANT to do professionally, which is exactly what I’m doing now. I doubt that fiverr would know what I love doing and want to do and have a calling for, if what they have to go on is the classes and tests I’ve taken on fiverr.

Doing professionally what you love is something only you can decide for yourself. It’s one reason I spend so much time on this site and put so much into this.

If what it recommends isn’t what you want to do you can ignore that or other recommendations and go to the next page of recommendations. If none of the recommendations in any of the pages of them are what you want to do or you don’t want to use the feature it doesn’t have to be used, but it could be helpful for people.

If what it recommends isn’t what you want to do you can ignore that or other recommendations and go to the next page of recommendations. If none of the recommendations in any of the pages of them are what you want to do or you don’t want to use the feature it doesn’t have to be used, but it could be helpful for people.

We sometimes get people who come to the forum asking what they can do to earn money. They have no idea what to do or what to sell. If these people are told they could sell writing skills they would add to the ever increasing number of people who have no business trying to sell themselves as writers, or logo designers, or any of the other things people are offering who shouldn’t be on fiverr offering these things due to being terrible at them.

A website program can’t see if someone has ability and talent.

I can imagine Fiverr engineers sat laughing at this conversation. Thinking ‘Do these guys actaully think we’re gonna apply a feature they want?’ - How many community requested features have been integrated by Fiverr?

The block feature is one of them that comes to mind.

And another feature that comes to mind which was suggested by someone is the feature where we can rate buyers.

Well last I read on the forum, that doesn’t exactly work. 😂

The maximum file size for uploaded files was requested to be increased and it later got increased. I think something like the skills tests might have been suggested and that now exists.

edit:

Here’s a thread where the skills test was suggested:

I think there should be some kind of skill tests on fiverr like other freelancer websites. It will create differentiation between quality sellers and low skill sellers who create price wars and spoil experience of buyers. As In my opinion they do not have much knowledge therefore they keep trying and when they are not able to get orders they create low price gigs, moreover their gig discription is also copy of some high selling gig’s discription. Like the post if you are in support of this.

Here’s the post where it was suggested the file size was increased from 150 MB (It’s now 1 GB I think).

There have been complaints about the maximum total file size (150 MB)/single file size delivery delivery limit. Would you like Fiverr’s 150 MB total delivery limit and/or the max individual file size delivery limit to be increased? poll

Fiverr doesn’t need such a feature. You know your skills and as @cyaxrex said, it all comes down to your ingenuity and creativity. I don’t want to see the market flooded with ideas similar to mine if I am the one that created it and there’s no one like me. It would be unfair to copy someone’s ideas.

You can browse the site and get ideas on your own, Fiverr would better add some other features that actually make a seller’s life easier, not this.

Yes, the supply would exceed the demand and there would be a flood of substandard gigs.

This would further increase competition, which is counter-productive to helping sellers.

Yes, the supply would exceed the demand and there would be a flood of substandard gigs.

This would further increase competition, which is counter-productive to helping sellers.

So you don’t want the increased competition? Isn’t a free market beneficial and aren’t there laws against anti-competitive practices? Surely increased competition would be beneficial to buyers?

So you don’t want the increased competition? Isn’t a free market beneficial and aren’t there laws against anti-competitive practices? Surely increased competition would be beneficial to buyers?

I don’t want thousands of other people selling what I sell, no. That helps no one.

I don’t want thousands of other people selling what I sell, no. That helps no one.

As long as they’re not copying your gig (doing what only you had been selling - eg. “copycat Gigs” are against the TOS) that’s competitive and supposed to be a good thing. Anti competitive practices being illegal (violating competition law) it would surely be a bad thing to do that just to prevent competition/a free market. The terms of service would also surely not allow things that violate competition law.

If they happen to not be good at something they’ll likely get bad reviews and those gigs won’t do well and might stop selling.

As long as they’re not copying your gig (doing what only you had been selling - eg. “copycat Gigs” are against the TOS) that’s competitive and supposed to be a good thing. Anti competitive practices being illegal (violating competition law) it would surely be a bad thing to do that just to prevent competition/a free market. The terms of service would also surely not allow things that violate competition law.

If they happen to not be good at something they’ll likely get bad reviews and those gigs won’t do well and might stop selling.

I never said anything about preventing a free market. I’m saying that the suggestion presented here is counter-productive.

It doesn’t matter if there are some differences. Huge competition means less capacity for discovery. The point of your suggestion is to give people a leg up. Saturating the market does the opposite.

I never said anything about preventing a free market. I’m saying that the suggestion presented here is counter-productive.

It doesn’t matter if there are some differences. Huge competition means less capacity for discovery. The point of your suggestion is to give people a leg up. Saturating the market does the opposite.

Huge competition means less capacity for discovery. The point of your suggestion is to give people a leg up. Saturating the market does the opposite.

My idea encourages competition/a free market which is the more lawful than preventing it. It gives the buyer more choice.

It doesn’t need to take the “profit” bit into account like I’ve said in a previous post. Just ignore the “profitability” bit if that’s an issue. If all it did was point them in the right direction of services (which can be quite general) given their known skills or what they could most likely achieve with what they have (giving them a list of general topics/services), why is that a bad thing? It’s not going to tell them anything they couldn’t find in other ways, maybe with a few more clicks/research. They already recommend skills to sellers and no one is saying that’s a problem.

Huge competition means less capacity for discovery. The point of your suggestion is to give people a leg up. Saturating the market does the opposite.

My idea encourages competition/a free market which is the more lawful than preventing it. It gives the buyer more choice.

It doesn’t need to take the “profit” bit into account like I’ve said in a previous post. Just ignore the “profitability” bit if that’s an issue. If all it did was point them in the right direction of services (which can be quite general) given their known skills or what they could most likely achieve with what they have (giving them a list of general topics/services), why is that a bad thing? It’s not going to tell them anything they couldn’t find in other ways, maybe with a few more clicks/research. They already recommend skills to sellers and no one is saying that’s a problem.

Again, I never said anything about preventing a free market.

ALL I’m saying is that what you are proposing will do the opposite of your goal. It is faulty logic to think that means preventing a free market. I don’t argue with faulty logic.

Have a good night.

Archived